F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Pleasantries for starting/ending an e-mail
Studio RSR

01-17-2018, 05:11 AM   #45
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
I am noticing a difference between the male and female emailers in our team. There are 30 women in our open plan office. Love women. My mother is a woman. That helps. All their emails are flowery. I had initially come here for advice on what to say but now... I won't be adding any excessive or pleasant introductions. To the point is best according to most on here.

Cheers everyone. I avoid emails when I can. Keep my door open. It is nice when people pop into my office rather than communicating by email.
Get rid of your office, will work wonders.... Rooms are for meetings or confidential calls, no need for anyone to tuck themselves away all of the time (even CEO at my last company...)
Which is part of the job. Line manage 15 and supervise the other 15 so no choice. Always join the team for lunch though
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #46
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Get rid of your office, will work wonders.... Rooms are for meetings or confidential calls, no need for anyone to tuck themselves away all of the time (even CEO at my last company...)
Yep we have that, all open plan, it's apparently one of the best changes they did, got rid of separate rooms where managers could hide or pretend to be important.

Now managers, directors and exec when visiting all in open and approachable.

Plenty rooms for the serious stuff - buffets

I hate visiting companies and they have to knock on a managers door.

It starts them off with negative points lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #47
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Yep we have that, all open plan, it's apparently one of the best changes they did, got rid of separate rooms where managers could hide or pretend to be important.

Now managers, directors and exec when visiting all in open and approachable.
In my current company previous CEO sat in the open (sort of) but it did mean there were few secrets...

When he left and CFO was promoted, he had a huge office created - which sent out all sorts of signals...

I qualify for an office but declined and sit with the troops - hear more stuff I probably shouldn't, look more approachable and no one notices as much when I am missing such as "wfh"
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #48
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Starting with just a name is abrupt and frankly rude.
Hi, is all you need. When addressing a group of Europeans, Dears is customary.

Only fannies sign off with abbreviations or cheers.

Keep it simple. Best regards, kind regards or regards and your name.
Signature should always have a phone number and never an email address or graphics unless you are a fanny.
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1954.50
      01-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #49
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Starting with just a name is abrupt and frankly rude.
Hi, is all you need.
Couldn't agree more. It comes across as curt, short and lacking any warmth. I mostly open with a simple Hi *name*. It's two little letters that can change the feel of the whole thing.

Always end with either 'speak soon' or 'kind regards' depending on the subject. And yes email signature on the opening email, not on every one thereafter too!

Keep it simple, warm and polite is my motto.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #50
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
Couldn't agree more. It comes across as curt, short and lacking any warmth. I mostly open with a simple Hi *name*. It's two little letters that can change the feel of the whole thing.

Always end with either 'speak soon' or 'kind regards' depending on the subject. And yes email signature on the opening email, not on every one thereafter too!

Keep it simple, warm and polite is my motto.
Why? It's an email.

If you deal with the same people and know them, do you constantly pass them in the corridor and say 'Hi Keith' every time you pass?

Why should an email have any emotion in it, why warm?

Polite yes and simple to the point.

Why kind regards? Do you actually think and feel that when you think of the person you are emailing?

If not then it's a bit insincere.

Just emailing someone and starting with their name is not cold, or abrupt or curt.

Example
Keith,

Just to let you know that order has been processed and you will have good by UPS tomorrow.

Dave.

Exactly how is that cold or anything.

People do get far to fluffy with emails.

It's purely a vehicle for passing information and not forming attachments.

It also comes over as rather daft when it's an email conversation and the other person keeps using Hi Keith and closing with Best regards, would do your head in if was an actual conversation lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #51
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I mostly only shout commands or announcements using the subject line and keep the body empty. All caps and multiple!!! are frequently used. If I can't fit it in the subject line I wait to catch them as they are leaving for the night and keep them for at least 30-45 minutes as I explain the same thing several times over in a circle.

If I have to reply to some jackass existing mail I just type a paragraph with no greeting or salutation.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-19-2018, 02:36 AM   #52
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Why? It's an email.

If you deal with the same people and know them, do you constantly pass them in the corridor and say 'Hi Keith' every time you pass?

Why kind regards? Do you actually think and feel that when you think of the person you are emailing?

Just emailing someone and starting with their name is not cold, or abrupt or curt.

Example
Keith,

Just to let you know that order has been processed and you will have good by UPS tomorrow.

Dave.

It also comes over as rather daft when it's an email conversation and the other person keeps using Hi Keith and closing with Best regards, would do your head in if was an actual conversation lol.
Keith,

Can you tell me why the order has not been processed and I will not have goods by UPS tomorrow?

Dave.

sends out a very different tone and therefore message, which in turnm may get a different response than:

Hi Keith,

Can you tell me why the order has not been processed and I will not have goods by UPS tomorrow?

Regards,
Dave.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 03:21 AM   #53
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

If you sign off with 'Best' then you look like a gigantic wanker. That's just for 18 year old interns at PR firms.

I do tend to say 'I hope you are well' to clients though and am surprised people don't like that.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #54
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Keith,

Dave.

sends out a very different tone and therefore message, which in turnm may get a different response than:

Hi Keith,

Regards,
Dave.

Emailing team members etc and constantly using hi is just tediously pointless.

It's like saying hello every time you walk across office to talk to someone.

Also the use of the word Hi can have different reaction to where in the food chain it is presented.

Also Keith may find himself looking for a new job if something like a Hi makes a difference to how he reacts.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #55
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Emailing team members etc and constantly using hi is just tediously pointless.

It's like saying hello every time you walk across office to talk to someone.

Also the use of the word Hi can have different reaction to where in the food chain it is presented.

Also Keith may find himself looking for a new job if something like a Hi makes a difference to how he reacts.
When you talk to someone, in addition to words, you use many non verbal communication signals that assist in the tone of the conversation. You don't have that in the written word so the approach needs to adapt.

Sadly, in this day and age, Keith may rightly or wrongly react to the written tone and consider it abrupt or rude. Rightly or wrongly, it would be Dave that would be looking for another job.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #56
Healy
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d GC

It sounds like Keith is a 'Snowflake' and maybe you are too
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #57
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healy View Post
Just keeps getting better.
Hopefully one day, when your step dad gets out of prison he’ll kick you off his PC.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #58
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
When you talk to someone, in addition to words, you use many non verbal communication signals that assist in the tone of the conversation. You don't have that in the written word so the approach needs to adapt.

Sadly, in this day and age, Keith may rightly or wrongly react to the written tone and consider it abrupt or rude. Rightly or wrongly, it would be Dave that would be looking for another job.
Bugger me, next thing you expect people to say please to team members and minions.

My verbal talking to someone tone is far more abrupt that I can ever get over in an email.

It would be.

Keith, put your cup down and get off the BBC news website and tell me why the fuck that order has not been placed and why the fuck we will not receive it by UPS tomorrow? It better be a good bloody reason or you can go and stand in the rain.

(They won't let me make people stand in the rain, apparently it's fairer to dismiss someone).
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #59
Jack_is_Back
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healy View Post
Just keeps getting better.
Hopefully one day, when your step dad gets out of prison he’ll kick you off his PC.
Are we being all Pistonheads here, or is this a case of actual wankerism? Sorry, not up to speed.

Best
      01-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #60
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Why? It's an email.

Example
Keith,

Dave.

Keith,

Dave.

Hi Keith,

Regards,
Dave.
What a load of shite pal. Keith is obviously a bit of a vagina if the lack of "Hi" upsets him!! Man it up it's just an email!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #61
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_is_Back View Post
Are we being all Pistonheads here, or is this a case of actual wankerism? Sorry, not up to speed.

Best
You’re not up to speed. Read Healy’s 6 posts and you’ll see.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #62
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
What a load of shite pal. Keith is obviously a bit of a vagina if the lack of "Hi" upsets him!! Man it up it's just an email!!
What do you expect. He works i with Brigand
Appreciate 0