F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Braking vibration?
ARMA SPEED

06-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
F30Stu
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d Sport

Braking vibration?

Hi All,

I've had my 2012 320d Sport since Feb and bought it from a main dealer with 24K on the clock.

Ever since I've had it I get an intermittant vibration when braking - not as harsh as an ABS vibration more like there is a rough patch on the disc but it doesn't do it all the time. This occurs with light or heavy braking.

It's been back to BMW twice now and they say they can't find anything wrong with it but it's still doing it.

Has anyone else had anything like this - I like the car but it's not a nice sensation from an otherwise nice car to drive.

Any comments/thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Stu
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Could be the brakes weren't bedded in properly, maybe the discs are warped.

BMW obviously can't/won't sort it so maybe worth trying a hard bed in, which can be done anytime after the first few hundred miles of light braking, see here:

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...rs/post/Bed-in

If that fails then next step is new front discs & pads, www.carparts4less.co.uk have very good prices (they are eurocarparts but cheaper prices)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
F30Stu
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d Sport

Thanks for the info.

BMW did tell me there's only a couple of thousand miles left in the pads and discs so I might need new ones soon (30k miles - they haven't lasted long) especially as I do mainly motorway driving and am not heavy on the brakes.

My last 318d had done 54k and the pads only had 20% wear!

Perhaps the previous owner gave them a hammering.

Stu
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 04:23 AM   #4
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Stu View Post
Thanks for the info.

BMW did tell me there's only a couple of thousand miles left in the pads and discs so I might need new ones soon (30k miles - they haven't lasted long) especially as I do mainly motorway driving and am not heavy on the brakes.

Stu
The low mileage out of the pads looks like the previous owner may have given them some serious workout. Could point to warped discs, which would get more noticeable after a spell of moderate braking when the discs have warmed up a bit.

(I've done this myself in a honda years ago, I cooked the brakes myself on a bit of a thrash, so much so, they were smoking when I pulled up. Lead to symptoms very much like yours)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Stu View Post
Thanks for the info.

Stu
The fast wear could also be a sign that the brakes weren't bedded in properly when new.

Looks like carparts4less/eurocarparts don't stock parts for the F30 yet!

Maybe you could try www.bmminiparts.com for the best prices for genuine parts, go on parts finder and the part number for parts can be found here: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F3...browse/brakes/
Appreciate 0