F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Disgusting work done at BMW dealership.
proTUNING Freaks

04-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #23
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine435i View Post
This is why you don't take your car to the dealership for small little nitpicks. Many times, the end result and unintended consequences of taking certain things apart and putting them back together and careless errors in that process cause headaches way worse than the initial problem.

People think BMW techs at a dealership are at some sort of prestigious level or highly trained above that of lesser brands like Honda or Nissan. They're not. They all went to the same trade-schools you see advertised on late-afternoon talk shows.

Actually, BMW does provide for more training options than several other manufacturers. Tech's can become Master Technicians with quite a bit of additional BMW approved schooling. That said, I somewhat agree with you. Many just don't take pride in their work regardless of how much additional training they may have gone through. A lot of this has to do with dealership management and what they permit their tech's to use as shortcuts to getting the job done right.

I believe to NOT take your car in unless it really needs service. Then make it clear you won't accept substandard work. maybe your SA will listen and give the car to his team tech lead.
      04-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #24
DanielBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin
Quote:
This is why you don't take your car to the dealership for small little nitpicks. Many times, the end result and unintended consequences of taking certain things apart and putting them back together and careless errors in that process cause headaches way worse than the initial problem.

People think BMW techs at a dealership are at some sort of prestigious level or highly trained above that of lesser brands like Honda or Nissan. They're not. They all went to the same trade-schools you see advertised on late-afternoon talk shows.

Actually, BMW does provide for more training options than several other manufacturers. Tech's can become Master Technicians with quite a bit of additional BMW approved schooling. That said, I somewhat agree with you. Many just don't take pride in their work regardless of how much additional training they may have gone through. A lot of this has to do with dealership management and what they permit their tech's to use as shortcuts to getting the job done right.

I believe to NOT take your car in unless it really needs service. Then make it clear you won't accept substandard work. maybe your SA will listen and give the car to his team tech lead.
Lololol
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #25
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Take it to a Land Rover dealership...I hear their guys have LOTS of practice making warranty repairs!!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #26
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue
Take it to a Land Rover dealership...I hear their guys have LOTS of practice making warranty repairs!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 04:23 AM   #27
fefe_e90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT

Damn second batch of pics looks especially bad. Sending some good vibes your way, from a fellow AW (I think its AW? looks like it from my phone lol).
      04-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #28
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Good luck getting this shit cleaned up. Expanding foam is EXTREMELY hard to remove entirely. Some of it will not get off especially the one on the seats and paint. For the paint they will have to SAND it off and polish, and for the seats..... Good fucking luck. This is absolutely CRAZY to have done that. You MUST forward this to BMW USA since there is no way this was an approved fixed. Total hack fix!!!

Honestly you're making your fellow enthusiasts a big disservice by not naming the dealership. I know you don't want to get punched in the face next time you're in there, but once you get this resolved, name and shame them, man. And sever any ties because to get to that level of craftsmanship in a shop, there has to be many other issues higher up the hierarchy.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #29
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I understand they are taking care of this for you, but definitely make sure that the service manager knows about this and knows which technician did it. As everyone can agree, this is unacceptable work for any remotely respectable shop, let alone a BMW dealership, so there needs to be accountability here.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #30
DanielBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttosBMWBrian
I understand they are taking care of this for you, but definitely make sure that the service manager knows about this and knows which technician did it. As everyone can agree, this is unacceptable work for any remotely respectable shop, let alone a BMW dealership, so there needs to be accountability here.
I talked to the manager of service, he took care of it, not sure what he did with the technician though
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #31
alienranch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Unacceptable!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #32
DanielBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienranch
Unacceptable!
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #33
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:

Why would you say that? Someone might believe you. Honda and Nissan are lesser brands? THATS how BMW owners get a bad rep.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #34
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
Good luck getting this shit cleaned up. Expanding foam is EXTREMELY hard to remove entirely. Some of it will not get off especially the one on the seats and paint. For the paint they will have to SAND it off and polish, and for the seats..... Good fucking luck. This is absolutely CRAZY to have done that. You MUST forward this to BMW USA since there is no way this was an approved fixed. Total hack fix!!!

Honestly you're making your fellow enthusiasts a big disservice by not naming the dealership. I know you don't want to get punched in the face next time you're in there, but once you get this resolved, name and shame them, man. And sever any ties because to get to that level of craftsmanship in a shop, there has to be many other issues higher up the hierarchy.
Name and shame? I applaud OP for not mentioning the dealers name. While this is unacceptable, they made a mistake and will fix it. You guys that want blood every time something happens will realize one day that cooler heads prevail and Name and Shame gets you nowhere. What good can come from bad mouthing them everywhere and getting some guy fired? You don't think that the tech responsible had a chat with his boss? So much drama.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #35
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Name and shame? I applaud OP for not mentioning the dealers name. While this is unacceptable, they made a mistake and will fix it. You guys that want blood every time something happens will realize one day that cooler heads prevail and Name and Shame gets you nowhere. What good can come from bad mouthing them everywhere and getting some guy fired? You don't think that the tech responsible had a chat with his boss? So much drama.
If there is no consequence for bad work then why would the business care? It's called reputation... A pretty basic concept in business.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #36
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

All I am trying to say is why try and ruin their reputation over 1 mistake? Pretty sure the guy responsible won't let that happen again. Maybe (I hope not) the guy got let go. Would that make you feel better? Have you ever made a mistake? Everyone learns from mistakes. That was blatant obviously but will get fixed I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #37
DanielBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY
All I am trying to say is why try and ruin their reputation over 1 mistake? Pretty sure the guy responsible won't let that happen again. Have you ever made a mistake? Everyone learns from mistakes. That was blatant obviously but will get fixed I'm sure.
How am I ruining a reputation if I never mentioned a dealers name?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #38
Brando222
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBimmer View Post
Did you even read his post?!? He said he applauds you for NOT mentioning the dealer's name. He was just mentioning that if you did post the name, then it would be ruining the dealer's rep for a small thing (in his opinion).
      04-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #39
DanielBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBimmer View Post
Did you even read his post?!? He said he applauds you for NOT mentioning the dealer's name. He was just mentioning that if you did post the name, then it would be ruining the dealer's rep for a small thing (in his opinion).
Gotchya
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 06:12 AM   #40
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:

Tell me about it!

Am going through headache myself with techs carelessness and incompetence.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #41
DanielBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Updated
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #42
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90--> E92-->F30

Id be up BMWNA's ass about this complaining and showing the higher ups what kind of quality is coming out of one of there dealerships, the foam picture behind the wheel well and the side skirt bulging is total bullshit
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #43
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Rattles are the result of loose fasteners or large panels that can't be firmly fastened. The only way to mitigate the vibrations would be to use something to isolate the moldings from the rockers like thin foam tape.

With all due respect, you must be listening to some ridiculously bass pumped music in order to rattle the rockers.

And as everyone has agreed, that's some of the worst work I've ever seen from any shop ever. Glad they at least handled that problem with a better solution (which unfortunately doesn't seem to have worked).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #44
rjpeaks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 6pd

wow - that is terrible. i trust you will get this matter fixed to your liking.