F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Auto Start Stop Stalling
Extreme Powerhouse
Closed Thread

04-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #45
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK
Don't forget to make a report to NHTSA. If enough people will report it, there's a chance (no matter how small it is) that BMW will make necessary improvements faster or totally remove this ridiculous "band-aid" technology from future gasoline/diesel-powered models.
Yup. Get rid of this crap.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #46
kablammo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x1 sDrive, e53 4.4, e36 M3/4/5

The lawyers will be lining up as soon as an F30 gets t-boned, and a serious injury results, due to ASS stalling. Mark my words.

Last edited by kablammo; 04-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Sentence structure revision
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #47
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

I actually like the feature. I sit at 2 long lights as part of my commute ( the rest is 55mph and up ), and always feel like its such a waste of gas sitting there in my current ride.

But apparently they need to fix it so its less A.S.S. like.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #48
awwwyeah206
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

when you're at a stop light and no one's behind you, the light turns green, the engine stalls, and you see someone coming up behind you, that 2 seconds it takes to put the foot back on the brake, hit the start button, shift to D, and go seems like an eternity! this has happened 3 times now at a stop light but overall about 10 times in the last month. usually lucky enough that it's been happening on small residential street at stop signs.

taking the car in for service next tuesday and will post their findings.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #49
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The government didn't impose this auto on/off thing, BMW chose to do it.
BMW could have easily chose to not make the F30 bigger, and using the current manufacturing the weight reduction would have been even greater and the MPG even better.

I too would like to see new faces in November, but that won't change what BMW does.
BMW nowadays is making very enthusiast unfriendly decisions......ASS, low rolling resistance tires (its not a Prius for God's sake!).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #50
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
May be possible by dealer. See this thread: Disabling Auto Stop/Start by Default
In the US it will void your warranty as it is changing parameters used for EPA testing. Same reason as the comfort default. In other markets it can be changed.
      04-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #51
Mugatu
Registered
Rep
Drives: '12 Porsche 991 C2S, BMW 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwwyeah206 View Post
when you're at a stop light and no one's behind you, the light turns green, the engine stalls, and you see someone coming up behind you, that 2 seconds it takes to put the foot back on the brake, hit the start button, shift to D, and go seems like an eternity! this has happened 3 times now at a stop light but overall about 10 times in the last month. usually lucky enough that it's been happening on small residential street at stop signs.

taking the car in for service next tuesday and will post their findings.
Its shocking they rolled this out like this. This seems just as dangerous as the Toyota pedal problem... surprised they haven't been scrambling to cover this up and it could cause some seriously bad PR.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #52
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Its shocking they rolled this out like this. This seems just as dangerous as the Toyota pedal problem... surprised they haven't been scrambling to cover this up and it could cause some seriously bad PR.
The issue is they didn't roll it out like this- the system has been alive and well in the EU for a long while and there has not been similar complaints that I have seen. The auto/start stop with auto debuted with the X1 over a year ago in memory serves me right. The M3 was the first in the US to get it. The F10 has it as well.
      04-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #53
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a 3 View Post
BMW nowadays is making very enthusiast unfriendly decisions......ASS, low rolling resistance tires (its not a Prius for God's sake!).
blame the governments, it's all legislations who make them do these things and expect to see it on more and more cars in the future as well.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #54
GuhBookGi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

if it's causing you problems, here's a novel idea... just turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #55
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuhBookGi View Post
if it's causing you problems, here's a novel idea... just turn it off.
we would, just don't want to have to do it each and everytime we start the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #56
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a 3 View Post
we would, just don't want to have to do it each and everytime we start the car.
Its one button, right above the start button at that. Really not much of a chore...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #57
GuhBookGi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Its one button, right above the start button at that. Really not much of a chore...
Are you kidding? Moving my arm to put the car in "R" or "D" is enough to wear me out. I can't move my arm to push ANOTHER button!!

Seriously though, the freaking button is literally above the "start". You don't even have to move your arm to push it
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #58
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablammo View Post
The lawyers will be lining up as soon as an F30 gets t-boned, and a serious injury results, due to ASS stalling. Mark my words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Seriously?!?

It something that's failing when the car is stopped and preventing the car from moving off. It's definitely not comparable with the Toyota pedal problem because that's something that happens when the car is moving and results in loss of control/inability to stop, which IS dangerous.

I don't know about the US, but I doubt it's much different to most of Europe where, if someone hits you from behind when you're stationary, it's their fault, end of story.

Their insurance pays out for damage and any injury compensation, so you'd have a hard time trying to get anything out of BMW as well. The other party could try to make BMW liable but that's highly unlikely, if it's even possible - the insurance companies are generally the ones who pay out and decide on liability I can't see them being interested in trying to make BMW pay out for the damage.

Even if someone who drove into the back of a BMW with stalled ASS bothered to take BMW to court, I don't see how they could argue that the manufacturer is responsible for the accident because (assuming US accident law is the same here as most of the rest of the world) it's your responsibility to avoid driving into stationary vehicles at junctions, end of argument, regardless of why that vehicle was stationary. I mean, if you stall your manual car resulting in someone rear-ending you, the insurers would surely consider the accident to be their fault, wouldn't they??

Of course it's not acceptable that this feature appears to be failing on some cars and I completely understand that some owners are seriously unhappy but let's keep things in perspective.

Last edited by Feanor; 04-13-2012 at 04:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #59
benflux
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

My 60 mile old 335i is now showing the same symptoms, I guess I have a dealer visit planned now too! Yes I can turn it off, but why should i accept something failing?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #60
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
The issue is they didn't roll it out like this- the system has been alive and well in the EU for a long while and there has not been similar complaints that I have seen. The auto/start stop with auto debuted with the X1 over a year ago in memory serves me right. The M3 was the first in the US to get it. The F10 has it as well.

I'm also surprised at the reactions to ASS.

If there is a definite fault with the auto version, then that can/should be fixed, but as a 'feature' they are here for the foreseeable future.

Just wait a couple of years and it won't even bother users, once it stops functioning, when the batteries start running at lower rates, disabling the ASS function.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #61
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
I don't know about the US, but I doubt it's much different to most of Europe where, if someone hits you from behind when you're stationary, it's their fault, end of story.
So you are saying that in the UK you can just legally pull out into a 55mph stretch of road without looking if anyone is coming, just stop your car and if somebody hits you its their fault?

I call BS.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #62
xit2050
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
So you are saying that in the UK you can just legally pull out into a 55mph stretch of road without looking if anyone is coming, just stop your car and if somebody hits you its their fault?

I call BS.
Call it what you want, but Belgian traffic law states that you must be able to stop for any obstacle. So, just like the UK, when someone hits you from behind when you're stationary, it's their fault.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #63
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post

I call BS.
What ARE you on about?? How you interpreted what I wrote as referring to what happens when you pull OUT onto roads is completely beyond me.

To clarify this complete red herring, if you pull out onto a 55mph road without looking when someone's coming, and they hit you, then if course it's your fault.

If you pull out onto a 55mph road when noone's coming, and you stop (ie your engine cuts out, or whatever), and someone comes along and drives into you, then it's probably going to be their fault. You were stationary before they were there so it's up to them to avoid your car. Whether or not you looked doesn't matter because, since the road was empty when you moved off, the accident didn't happen because you didn't look. It all depends on circumstance but it really doesn't matter as one of this is relevant to this discussion.

The reason it's not relevant is because as I understand it, ASS isn't stalling after people have moved into junctions - people are concerned about others driving into the BACK of them if they don't move onto a junction when expected due to ASS failing to get the car moving again. In which case, any accident would be the other person's fault.

I call BS right backatcha .

Last edited by Feanor; 04-13-2012 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #64
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

More importantly I see this as a simple software upgrade to correct the problem. It appears that it happens enough that BMW is aware of it and working on it right now. Just don't use the feature for a few weeks until they have a fix. It's part of buying a brand new model.

It looks like BMW has already found fixes for the shaking steering wheel (new steering rack) and creak/rattle behind iDrive screen (felt pads). Hopefully mine which is being built right now has these fixes. If not, it;s the price I pay for wanting one so soon.
      04-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #65
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
What ARE you on about?? How you interpreted what I wrote as referring to what happens when you pull OUT onto roads is completely beyond me.
Im going to ignore the rest of your post and focus on this. See the point of my post was to show you how inappropriate your initial post was. My response to you was just as inappropriate as your post to kablammo.

He was describing a particular situation where a start/stop stall upon resume could cause an accident - a left turn across a fast moving highway.

You instead, manipulated his words to make it sound like he was saying something different, just as I did to you.

If you want to argue the point at hand, that its possible or impossible for a start/stop stall upon resume to result in an accident and lawsuit, then please stick to what people said, and not twist their words into another scenario that more fits your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #66
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

FWIW I haven't been able to get my car to stall. I was in a parking lot and figured I'd try to (by hitting the brake right after it started) and I could not get it to stall... it has never happened to me in normal driving either, ASS enabled 99% of the time.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread