F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > High beam assistant won't work in full headlight mode?
Studio RSR

11-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Sprocket
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i

High beam assistant won't work in full headlight mode?

Hi,

So two related questions. My father has a f30 328 with adaptive headlights and high beam assistant. Today while talking cars (I'm waiting for mine), he mentioned that during a dark and rainy drive last night he found what he believes is a fault, or actually two of them. I would be thankful if anyone would confirm that these are indeed problems:

- When in adaptive headlight mode, the headlight washers would not come on at all.

- To get the washers to function, he has to switch to non-auto full headlight mode. However, in that mode the full beam assistant won't work.

So, he has to chose between head beam assistant and working washers. Surely this can't be right?

Thanks in advance!
      11-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Hi,

So two related questions. My father has a f30 328 with adaptive headlights and high beam assistant. Today while talking cars (I'm waiting for mine), he mentioned that during a dark and rainy drive last night he found what he believes is a fault, or actually two of them. I would be thankful if anyone would confirm that these are indeed problems:

- When in adaptive headlight mode, the headlight washers would not come on at all.

- To get the washers to function, he has to switch to non-auto full headlight mode. However, in that mode the full beam assistant won't work.

So, he has to chose between head beam assistant and working washers. Surely this can't be right?

Thanks in advance!
I don't understand how this could be an imposition. If the washers do not work with the high-beams on, it is because the light will reflect off the spray from the nozzles, blinding your field of vision. Just the same, you shouldn't have your high beams on in foggy weather because of the glare.

The auto headlight feature turns off when you must use the washers. You do not need to wash your headlights every three seconds unless you're driving through mud deep enough to require a heavy-duty off-road vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Sprocket
Private
Rep

Sorry, you misunderstand:

The headlight washers don't work in the headlight auto mode (leftmost position, headlights with an A). To get them to work he apparently has to switch to non auto headlight mode. In that mode high beam assistant won't work. So it has nothing to do with the high beams themselves being on.

His problem as I understand it is that he can't drive at night using the high beam assistant and get head light washing. This is an issue at night on dirty roads (which we get in sweden when the roads are sanded and salted to prevent icing conditions).

11-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Sounds odd. Do the washers work in "A" mode if the high beam assistant isn't activated?
      11-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
Sprocket
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Sounds odd. Do the washers work in "A" mode if the high beam assistant isn't activated?
Good question. Have to check that. Could be the reason if washers and high beams aren't for some reason allowed to be used at the same time.
      11-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Could well be the case and could even make sense