F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 328i Rocks ATS, A4, C250, TL, S60 in Cars.com $46,000 Sport Sedan Challenge
GetBMWParts

04-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #45
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned2ride
The best 46K$ Sport Sedan is a 335i Sport RWD. 44900$+PDI. And it has a sunroof and Xenons.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #46
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
The S60 is an amazing and over looked car. The most comfortable midsize car ever. The LCI S60 is coming out soon and I love the new headlamps also it has the HP bumped to the S60 with the Polestar package.
The interior build materials aren't quite at the level of the BMW, but they aren't bad - and the S60 is a hell of a lot of car for the money.

I think they could have used a reasonably optioned T6 in this test against the 328, and if they had I wonder if the result would have been different.

And, by the way if you look in my garage you'll see a BMW 545 and a Volvo XC70.
      04-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #47
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
if they fix the sluggishness of the CUE system its really an amazing car.
Cadillac just released a CUE update about 4 weeks ago and owner reviews say it's now much faster. Cadillac is giving out $50 gift cards and full tanks of gas for people's troubles.

--------

I think reviews of these interface systems (CUE, iDrive, etc.) are pretty worthless. The newest being the controversial CUE, but the reviews remind me of the then-controversial iDrive when it came out. You could read ten reviews of iDrive, and five would say it's great and five would say it's absolutely terrible. Now with CUE... this ATS review had one of their testers saying ""The CUE system is a technological wonder that was the most robust system of those in the test". Then others couldn't figure out how to use it apparently? So they knocked it for that.

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 04-08-2013 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #48
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
Cadillac just released a CUE update about 4 weeks ago and the people getting the update say it's now much faster. The are giving $50 gift cards and full tanks of gas for people's troubles.
We got the update and the gift card, its still slow lol! Its a bit better, and now my girls phone can actually upload all her contacts, it went from a 1000 limit to 3000 but its still not what I would call fast, my 2006 CCC idrive responds faster and I consider that a bit slow. Well ok it boots up WAY faster then the CCC but once mine is running it moves quicker then CUE.

Believe me I actually really like CUE, but they want it to be Ipad like and its just not fast enough to be.
      04-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #49
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

It's been pretty clear for a while now that the 328 is the sweet spot among the F30 choices. Even though I like the added power the 335 provides, I can't say I often have much good use for it in contrast with the use I can find for a few thousand dollars in sticker price as well as a few dollars saved at the gas pump.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #50
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Darned if BMW didn't lose the cup holder battle to Audi. What is it about BMW and the cup holders?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #51
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

How about a true apples to apples comparo?

All AWD versions with the exact same options. I will guarantee that the close to 10k difference with a decently loaded 328 and the cheapest in the bunch would impact the results slightly.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #52
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I'm more impressed by the second place for the Volvo! Woot!

<--- Former V70R owner.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #53
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy View Post

Unless these tests where conducted at a K2 like altitude, I agree with everyone's concern regarding the 0-60 numbers. They simply don't make any sense. An X3 28i with the same N20 can lay down better numbers.
Didn't even the E90 328i do 0-60 in quicker than 6.6? I mean thats easily E46 330i numbers right there. And its getting close to a manual E46 325i (assuming your a shifting god). Granted its still ~.4 seconds off from a 325i, but thats not much considering the 328i has more power and torque, is only slightly heavier (actually probably about the same when you factor in standard equipment) weight, and has a significantly quicker transmission.

Last edited by bimmerjph; 04-08-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #54
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Didn't even the E90 328i do 0-60 in quicker than 6.6? I mean thats E46 330i numbers right there. Maybe even manual 325i if your a goddamn grip god.
F30 328 with a stick is about 5.4-5.5 to 60. The E90 328 6mt is about 5.9-6.1.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #55
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Not only were they nit comparing apples to apples, this comparo only has limited relevance for the US market.

The australian spec cars for audi, MB are different to what they appear to have. If they were penalising c250 for no nav, aus spec has nav.

Limited use for aus and nz buyers.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #56
NoTorqueSteer
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Jelly M3 View Post
This should end 328i vs ATS debate.
Did you read the article? The ATS was mostly dinged for its smaller size when a lot of people on this board complain that the 3 has become too big. It's all in what you think is more important to you.

From the article:
A driver's car. "Tuned almost perfectly for either road or track," Healey said.

Transmission. "Cadillac's six-speed automatic rarely misses a beat, with crisp upshifts and timely rev-matched downshifts."

Interior design. "I was completely blown away by the ATS cabin,"

Technology. CUE. System with capacitive controls to adjust climate, radio and more "is a technological wonder that was the most robust system of those in the test,

So hopefully BMW doesn't get too comfy.

I will wait until I see some real reviews instead of USA Today asking a few couples what they like. Should be interesting for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #57
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTorqueSteer View Post
Did you read the article? The ATS was mostly dinged for its smaller size when a lot of people on this board complain that the 3 has become too big. It's all in what you think is more important to you.

From the article:
A driver's car. "Tuned almost perfectly for either road or track," Healey said.

Transmission. "Cadillac's six-speed automatic rarely misses a beat, with crisp upshifts and timely rev-matched downshifts."

Interior design. "I was completely blown away by the ATS cabin,"

Technology. CUE. System with capacitive controls to adjust climate, radio and more "is a technological wonder that was the most robust system of those in the test,

So hopefully BMW doesn't get too comfy.

I will wait until I see some real reviews instead of USA Today asking a few couples what they like. Should be interesting for sure.
I think the ATS is a very nicely styled sport sedan and the slightly smaller size is nice.
BUT, that CUE system SUCKS.
Yes, it looks cool, but it's function truly sucks.
Go check it out.

I've yet to drive the ATS, but pretty much all reviews love it's how it drives, and many comment that it rivals the F30 especially in steering feel and connection to driver.
For a sport sedan that is extremely important.

I agree, BMW should not get comfy with the F30's very successful sales, at least not comfy for the long run.
Near term, they're racking in the sales dollars.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #58
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
Cadillac just released a CUE update about 4 weeks ago and owner reviews say it's now much faster. Cadillac is giving out $50 gift cards and full tanks of gas for people's troubles.

--------

I think reviews of these interface systems (CUE, iDrive, etc.) are pretty worthless. The newest being the controversial CUE, but the reviews remind me of the then-controversial iDrive when it came out. You could read ten reviews of iDrive, and five would say it's great and five would say it's absolutely terrible. Now with CUE... this ATS review had one of their testers saying ""The CUE system is a technological wonder that was the most robust system of those in the test". Then others couldn't figure out how to use it apparently? So they knocked it for that.
The Cue system is garbage they have replaced it twice in my Dads XTS. I applaud Cadillac for making attempt at a great drivers car but sadly anything good GM makes they find a away to cheap it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #59
hyperboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Boxster Corvette M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
One thing I find incredibly dumb about this comparo is how they ding cars for "no keyless entry" or "not real leather" or "no park assist", while at the same time putting a 45.5k BMW against the 38k Volvo. Obviously the Benz has fake leather and the BMW has real *because you have selected that option*.

It's no secret though that the 328i is definitely the best car in this segment, nice that they went with M-Sport.
BMW does cost more than the competition. you can put more options in the cheaper cars like the volvo or the benz but performance figures will not change much.BMW will still beat them.
those fake leather or MB tex is pretty good. i don't know why we automatically think leather is better and luxury. MB tex holds better and longer than BMW leather seats.
21 M5C DD|21 M550 xDrive|05 E46M3 race car 6SPD|2019 2LT Corvette GS 7SPD track car|22 Tundra SR5 TRD Sport|19 Q7 V6 & 22 Q7 2.0T|20 G63|19 Vantage 4.0TT|22 Boxster 25 Year 6SPD sold|08 Porsche Cayman 5SPD sold|18 R8 RWS sold|Many previous cars
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #60
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I see why the ATS didn't fare well in this test.
They tested the 2.0T Performance model, but that's not the setup a driving enthusiast would get.
Stupidly Cadillac missed on the naming and optioning of the models.

If you want the best performing 2.0T you get the Premium which comes with magnetic ride control suspension, 18" summer perf tires, and higher cooling capacity. If you get the MT you also get LSD. Why it's not on the AT is as stupid as why BMW doesn't offer LSD at all on the 3 with any trans.
That ATS config has been reviewed by others.

I knew something was up when I saw this 2.0T had `17" all season tires.
Of course handling, braking, and accel won't be competitive to an F30 Msport with those tires.
It's like going to a BB game wearing 70's style platform shoes wondering why you're getting out manuevered.
MSRP $45,790 right under the $46K limit.

Not trying to make the ATS better than the F30, but I can't stand bad auto journalism by lazy a$$ writers who can't be bothered to do their job.
These so called "auto journalists" really suck.
Great job on being crap.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #61
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Another article that just goes to show the "journalists" never bother to add real information regarding what you actually get
Sorry...deleted some of your text for brevity sake.

Summary of article: the F30 328i is better than other cars in the segment.

Should have said: car performs better, drives better, has better tech options, and looks better.

Said: stacks up better vs cars much lower optioned, drives faster to 60 while "tested in cruise control mode", has really shitty turning stocks...

Conclusion: The 328i is awesome, you don't need a cars.com article to validate this!

P.S. This is possibly the worst ever ATS vs 328i comparison I've seen, please: don't use this ammunition for any argument EVER...this article is pure FAIL - use the comparison matrix to reaffirm this if you are doubtful.
      04-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #62
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboost View Post
BMW does cost more than the competition. you can put more options in the cheaper cars like the volvo or the benz but performance figures will not change much.BMW will still beat them.
those fake leather or MB tex is pretty good. i don't know why we automatically think leather is better and luxury. MB tex holds better and longer than BMW leather seats.
The point is: BMW is only car that gets "sport" trim option. This affects suspension, looks and interior. I don't care about whether or not leather is preferable, point is that this article presupposes one car is more "luxury" than another when in actuality it is simply based on what they have optioned.

The analogy would be, here's $10: who will find a better tasting lunch. I go to Panera while you go to taco bell, you buy 2 super ____ buritos for $6 while I get a sandwich for $7. Who wins? I have no idea because the comparison is retarded given the constraints....
      04-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #63
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTorqueSteer View Post
How many reviews do you really need to see? Motor Trend had pretty much the same cars with the same results and Consumer Reports picked the 328i as their Best Sports sedan. What more do you need? Just go test drive and decide for yourself.

Surprisingly several negative comments and questioning the results in this thread. Curious as to why my joking comment about the 328i winning another comparison when the 335i hasn't won any was edited (removed) when other comments like this (and others) are allowed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
another win for the 328i!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
Best of this bunch, fine. All 'compromised' cars for 'dynamics'. This camparo is like a beauty contest on skid row. Ford Pinto vs. Chevy Vega.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned2ride View Post
The best 46K$ Sport Sedan is a 335i Sport RWD. 44900$+PDI. And it has a sunroof and Xenons.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #64
PUG-N-BEEM GUY
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328I sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92dave
Benz- LOL
Mahahahaha
I KNOW THAT WAS MY EXACT REACTION
      04-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #65
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: on hold

Doesn't car.com reviews the cars on high altitude? Or that is another mag that does that? Could explain the lousy timings
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #66
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
And meanwhile I still don't know whetehr I should choose a 335i M Sport over a S60 R Design...I'm scared as hell about buying a new car and wondering if it has reliability issues like people here.

Volvo's S60 R Design honestly, to me, would be much preferable by default, if only because of price...(loyalty bonus ftw, hopefully decade+ old cars apply). And the Rebel Blue is just as appealing as Estoril.
I'd wait a couple of months and get the V60 R Design it's a much better looking car then the S60 and there's a facelift model shown in New York last week.
Appreciate 0