F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Tire & Wheel Warranty
GetBMWParts

06-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
rayxi
researcher
Rep
Drives: '15 328i xDrive

Tire & Wheel Warranty

Not sure if I'm breaking any forum decorum but I posted a thread about this in the Tire & Wheel forum as well but figure this forum is applicable as well.

I just picked up my first BMW yesterday. The finance manager tried to upsell me on the tire & wheel warranty at $1,369+tax for five years of coverage.

Do many members with stock wheels & run flat tires have this coverage and actually take advantage of the warranty? Or alternatively, don't have coverage and wished that they did? If so, how much did it cost to repair any damages out of pocket?

The finance manager gave me until EOD Friday 6/22/18 to decide.

Thanks for your advice!
      06-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
smuttana
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' G80 M3 Comp

Depends on a lot of factors like:
- what area do you drive around in
- are you planning to drive a lot
- what wheel/tire setup did you get
- will you keep only these wheels for the 5 years

My car came with fun flats, and I had the tire bubble badly once where I had the car towed to the dealer and paid ~$300 for a new one, and also they are common to bend if you drive around north jersey/ny roads
      06-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
I bought an extended warranty and tire... after thinking about it I'd probably wouldn't buy the tire again but definitely the extended warranty... I have RF's now but if they blew I'd get firestone's anyways ... 35yrs driving and knock on wood never needed a need for RF's and I have really really abused tires in my life time of driving...get a $20 slime kit for an emergency and I'd call Roadside for extreme emergency... If I cracked a rim I'd buy some custom $200 a pop rims also... so your repair cost after refit of everything would be very low if the need ever arises again but well see in 4-5 years if and when I sell it to see how I feel about it after having it long term... I usually insure just about anything I buy but this is one of those maybe not...
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00
      06-22-2018, 04:57 AM   #4
errolz
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

I got this and recently went it to have it cancelled, since I changed to after market rims and also heard from a friend that they didn’t cover basic things when he had tire trouble.
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00
      06-22-2018, 05:12 AM   #5
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

I wouldnt get it, unless you love run flats because that what they will always give you.
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00
      06-22-2018, 06:12 AM   #6
rayxi
researcher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
I wouldnt get it, unless you love run flats because that what they will always give you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuttana View Post

My car came with fun flats, and I had the tire bubble badly once where I had the car towed to the dealer and paid ~$300 for a new one, and also they are common to bend if you drive around north jersey/ny roads
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
I bought an extended warranty and tire... after thinking about it I'd probably wouldn't buy the tire again but definitely the extended warranty... I have RF's now but if they blew I'd get firestone's anyways ... 35yrs driving and knock on wood never needed a need for RF's and I have really really abused tires in my life time of driving...get a $20 slime kit for an emergency and I'd call Roadside for extreme emergency... If I cracked a rim I'd buy some custom $200 a pop rims also... so your repair cost after refit of everything would be very low if the need ever arises again but well see in 4-5 years if and when I sell it to see how I feel about it after having it long term... I usually insure just about anything I buy but this is one of those maybe not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by errolz View Post
I got this and recently went it to have it cancelled, since I changed to after market rims and also heard from a friend that they didn't cover basic things when he had tire trouble.
Thanks everyone for the perspective and advice. This is my first time having run flats and I'm definitely not in love with them but not exactly at the point where I would replace them. I'll probably pass on the warranty and put that money towards new wheels & tires of my own choice down the road.
      06-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
whosagrubb
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '15 F36 435i / '07 E90 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayxi View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I got this and recently went it to have it cancelled, since I changed to after market rims and also heard from a friend that they didn't cover basic things when he had tire trouble.
Thanks everyone for the perspective and advice. This is my first time having run flats and I'm definitely not in love with them but not exactly at the point where I would replace them. I'll probably pass on the warranty and put that money towards new wheels & tires of my own choice down the road.
I'll echo the "it depends" answer, but give you my experience. TL;DR I think wheel size has a lot to do with the decision.

I had 17" RFTs on my previous car, a E90, and had no issues for the life of the tires. My current car, a F36, came to me with 19" Pirelli P Zero RFTs. I picked it up in December and promptly mounted 18" Pirelli Winter RFT tires and had no issues with them. I then swapped back to the summer tires and blew out two wires within 45 days. Cost per tire was $418. I replaced the 1st with another RFT and ultimately decided to just swap to non RFT tires on all 4 corners after blowing the 2nd.

Now I've lived in the same area of Northern Jersey for the entire time I owned both cars, and drive roughly the same roads. I can't really explain why I had issues with the 19's. It could be the larger diameter / low aspect ratio or it could just be that the Pirelli P Zero is a terrible tire. Either way, if I had the insurance I'm pretty sure I would have gotten my money's worth. I didn't take the coverage when I picked up the car though which is why I ultimately dropped the RFTs.
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00
      06-22-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
rayxi
researcher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosagrubb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayxi View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I'll echo the "it depends" answer, but give you my experience. TL;DR I think wheel size has a lot to do with the decision.

I had 17" RFTs on my previous car, a E90, and had no issues for the life of the tires. My current car, a F36, came to me with 19" Pirelli P Zero RFTs. I picked it up in December and promptly mounted 18" Pirelli Winter RFT tires and had no issues with them. I then swapped back to the summer tires and blew out two wires within 45 days. Cost per tire was $418. I replaced the 1st with another RFT and ultimately decided to just swap to non RFT tires on all 4 corners after blowing the 2nd.

Now I've lived in the same area of Northern Jersey for the entire time I owned both cars, and drive roughly the same roads. I can't really explain why I had issues with the 19's. It could be the larger diameter / low aspect ratio or it could just be that the Pirelli P Zero is a terrible tire. Either way, if I had the insurance I'm pretty sure I would have gotten my money's worth. I didn't take the coverage when I picked up the car though which is why I ultimately dropped the RFTs.
Thanks for the back story. I have 18" wheels on my car with RFT. I hope that I'll be fine with it in the next year or two. This way, it will give me the flexibility to change out the wheels and tires.