F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > BMW is Official Vehicle Partner for the 2015/2016 FIA Formula E Championship
ARMA SPEED

08-25-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW is Official Vehicle Partner for the 2015/2016 FIA Formula E Championship

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW is Official Vehicle Partner for the 2015/2016 FIA Formula E Championship
COMMENTS
Name:  P90195038.jpg
Views: 5373
Size:  401.6 KB

BMW Press Release

Donington, 25 August 2015. BMW will be lining up for the FIA Formula E Championship once again in 2015/16 . The second season of the race series gets underway in Beijing on 17 October 2015, and BMW will be on hand as the Official Vehicle Partner.

The futuristic BMW i8 sports car (fuel consumption combined: 2.1 l/100 km / 134.5 mpg imp; CO2 emissions combined: 49 g/km) will once again see action as the Safety Car in the trailblazing race series for electrically-powered formula machines. And the all-electric (and therefore emission-free) BMW i3 (energy consumption combined: 12.9 kWh; CO2 emissions combined: 0 g/km) will perform the role of Medical Car, as it did in the series’ inaugural season. Added to which, a pair of BMW C evolution electric scooters and a BMW X5 xDrive40e plug-in hybrid (fuel consumption combined: 3.4–3.3 l/100 km / 83.1–85.6 mpg imp; CO2 emissions combined: 78–77 g/km; figures based on the EU test cycle, may vary depending on the tyre format specified) will be making their Formula E debuts, as models from other BMW Group brands join the BMW i cars in the eDrive family .

“BMW i and Formula E make a great match,” said Jörg Reimann, Vice President BMW Brand Experience. “The world governing body of motor sport, the FIA, is branching out in a new and extremely interesting direction with the FIA Formula E Championship – and we have been on board from the outset. The series got off to a highly successful start in its first year on the calendar, with its all-electric formula racing cars, tight street circuits running through the heart of major world cities and innovative ideas engaging fans via social networks. BMW has been involved in Formula E from the word go. It signed up as the Official Vehicle Partner to supply the BMW i8 Safety Car and BMW i3 Medical Car. And this commitment has given the company a platform on which to press its claim as a leader in electric mobility. We’ve succeeded in bringing the driving pleasure for which BMW is renowned to the attention of millions of people in major cities around the world. The ball is very much rolling now; in 2014 and 2015 we laid the foundations for a successful partnership, and it’s one which will continue into the second season of the championship in 2015/2016.”

Formula E will become an “open” championship in its second season. Compared with the inaugural edition of the series, in which all the cars were technically identical, eight of the ten teams will line up for the new season with their own technology. The technical changes will be concentrated on the powertrain – specifically the electric motor, the inverter, the transmission and the cooling system – and see the cars differing in terms of speeds, soundtrack and, above all, efficiency levels over the race distance.

The 2014/15 Formula E calendar featured eleven races in ten countries on three continents. Ten teams took their places on the grid for that opening season, each with two drivers at the wheel of standardised cars . Nelson Piquet Jr. wrapped up the title in the final race in London – and duly took his place in the history books as the first ever champion in this new series.

The new season will begin on 17 October 2015 and again take in eleven races in ten countries.

For further information on FIA Formula E go to: http://www.fiaformulae.com

Name:  P90195037-highRes.jpg
Views: 4236
Size:  780.9 KB

The 2015/2016 season: Official FIA Formula E Vehicle Partner extends its line-up of models featuring new BMW eDrive technology.

The eDrive technology introduced through BMW i since 2013 will be carried over gradually into models from the core BMW brand. It will be included in the following vehicles as part of the Formula E race series.

BMW C evolution.
BMW Motorrad is supplying the FIA Formula E organisation with two BMW C evolution electric scooters for use as shuttles. The scooters enable zero-emission riding:
  • Range in everyday use on battery-electric power only (EU):
  • 100 kilometres (62 miles)
  • Maximum output: 35 kW (47.5 hp)
  • Maximum torque: 72 Nm (53 lb-ft)
  • Top speed: 120 km/h / 75 mph (electronically governed)
  • 0 – 100 km/h (62 mph): 6.2 seconds; 0 – 50 km/h (31 mph): 2.7 seconds
  • Innovations: reverse assist, Torque Control Assist, four riding modes, ABS, hybrid chassis, TFT colour display, LED daytime running light and sidelight, electrical safety to passenger car standard.

BMW X5 xDrive40e.
Available from autumn 2015, the BMW X5 xDrive40e plug-in hybrid will be deployed as the Official FIA Formula E Rescue Car over the course of the new Formula E season and has been adapted to the technical requirements of the FIA.
  • Range on electric power only (EU): up to 31 kilometres (19 miles)
  • Overall range: over 800 kilometres (497 miles)
  • System output: 313 hp
  • Maximum system torque: 450 Nm (332 lb-ft)
  • Top speed: 210 km/h / 130 mph (120 km/h / 75 mph on electric power only)
  • 0 – 100 km/h (62 mph): 6.8 seconds
Modifications to comply with FIA Formula E requirements:
  • Bank of LED lights and stroboscope light
  • FIA radio equipment and transponder integrated into the vehicle electronics

BMW i3.
The battery-electric BMW i3 will continue as the Official FIA Formula E Medical Car. Two BMW i3 cars will be supplied for the electric race series:
  • Range on electric power only (EU): up to 160 kilometres (100 miles)
  • Maximum output: 170 hp
  • Maximum torque: 250 Nm (184 lb-ft)
  • Top speed: 150 km/h / 93 mph (governed)
  • 0 – 100 km/h (62 mph): 7.2 seconds
  • Bank of LED lights, fire extinguisher, paintwork and decals
  • Attachment points for medical equipment

BMW i8.
The BMW i8 is the most progressive sports car of our times and, by combining the performance and appeal of a sports car with small car fuel economy, created a new segment as the first sustainable sports car. It offers zero-emission driving in town (eDrive) and efficient sports car performance out of town, where a highly turbocharged and efficient 1.5-litre petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology also comes into play.

With its revolutionary vehicle concept – which brings together a carbon-fibre passenger cell, aluminium chassis and benchmark aerodynamics for its segment (Cd: 0.26) – the BMW i8 represents the company’s technological cutting edge.

The BMW i8 will continue as the Official FIA Formula E Qualcomm Safety Car through the second season of Formula E. The modifications to the two new Safety Cars are far more performance-oriented and they have been adapted to meet the FIA’s technical regulations ahead of the new season, which gets underway in Beijing on 17 October.

The new BMW i8 Safety Car is the world’s first vehicle equipped for inductive charging with 7.2 kilowatts of power using Qualcomm Halo™ prototype technology . This allows the high-voltage battery of the BMW i8 to be fully recharged in around one hour only.
  • Range on electric power only (EU): up to 37 kilometres (23 miles)
  • Overall range: over 600 kilometres (373 miles)
  • System output of FIA Formula E Safety Car: approx. 380 hp
  • Maximum system torque: > 570 Nm (420 lb-ft)
  • Top speed: 250 km/h / 155 mph (using electric power only: 120 km/h / 75 mph)
  • 0 – 100 km/h (62 mph): < 4.4 seconds; 80 – 120 km/h (50 – 75 mph): 2.6 seconds
  • Certified safety cell – bolted and bonded to load-bearing elements of the body. Use of patented tube joints.
  • New bank of LED lights and stroboscope light
  • 2 x additional 12V sockets with 25A fuse
  • Carbon-fibre racing seats
  • Carbon-fibre centre console
  • Six-point safety belt
  • Removal of interior trim and airbags
  • Modified trim elements on safety cell
  • Modified position of safety belts
  • Official decals

Technical modifications to the new BMW i8 Safety Car over the standard production car:

Chassis
  • Modified chassis mount points and upper wishbones
  • Custom-made Bilstein springs / dampers
  • 15 mm lowered chassis
Wheels / tyres
  • 20” ATS racing rims: black, powder-coated
  • (front: 245/ 35 R20, rear: 285/ 30 R20)
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport sports tyres
Brakes
  • M3 GT4 brake discs and callipers (six-piston at the front, four-piston at the rear)
  • Improved ventilation / cooling for the front discs
  • Direct in-flow of air via the front spoiler and deflector plates
  • Modification to the rear section of the underbody (additional air intakes, spoiler) and airflow to the brake discs via supply tube and deflector plates
Aerodynamics
  • Kidney grille split at half height
  • Modified front-end airflow
  • 850-watt fan (front)
  • Number of dynamic pressure flaps in fan shroud increased
  • Modified bonnet outlet cover and airflow
  • Modified air deflectors
  • New air deflectors and air deflector plate on the underfloor of the car
  • Rear window replaced by plastic cover with air outlets
  • Sound absorption panelling for the engine removed
  • Two additional fans in the engine compartment
  • C-pillar ventilation removed
  • Lower-mounted engine soundproofing removed
  • New anti-roll bar bearings
  • Extension of diffuser below the combustion engine (75 mm)
  • Heat insulation for the exhaust system
  • Additional carbon-fibre spoiler lips at the rear
  • Additional diffusers on the underfloor of the car (front and rear)
High-voltage battery
  • Battery cell modified for testing purposes, now has higher electric output (+ approx. 10 kW)
Modified roll cage
  • Seamlessly drawn precision pipe (25 CrMo4)
  • Yield strength: 640 Nm/mm²
  • Tensile strength: 695 Nm/mm²
  • Bolts quenched and tempered
  • Roll cage weight: 48 kilograms
  • First FIA-certified BMW i8 roll cage
New inductive prototype charging system (Qualcomm Halo™)
  • BMW i8 FIA Formula E Qualcomm Safety Car is the world’s first vehicle to offer 7.2 kW inductive charging based on Qualcomm Halo™ prototype technology
  • Tested under all extreme climatic conditions
  • EMC-approved

Name:  P90195024-highRes.jpg
Views: 4173
Size:  606.6 KB

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

I had the honour of being in the VIP emotion lounge during the race at Tempelhof airport in Berlin during the E-prix. The organization is huge and a ton of people were present, almost like a huge stadium! I had some time to greet some drivers, and even though the vehicles aren't as fast as F1 cars, they are still rather rapid, and make a fun, hi-tech noise sounding like the F1 KERS. I hope BMW joins the FE as their own team, as I think that Formula E is the future of formula racing.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Really like the wheels on the i8
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
4PIPE
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
2008 M3 convertible  [0.00]
2014 M4  [0.00]
Wheels look mint! should be a factory option
      08-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Most excellent.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
jeff@autocouture
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Yes
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

those wheels look really good on the i8!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Can understand the tie-in, but Formula E is very hard to watch. The sound is piercing and close to painful for me. Sounds like two dozen dentist drills simultaneously.

No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #10
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
I think we all agree; the i8 looks fantastic with some meat on it!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #11
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

i8 looking great as a safety car
      08-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #12
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
That i8 looks delicious with those fat wheels

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 04:12 AM   #13
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Can understand the tie-in, but Formula E is very hard to watch. The sound is piercing and close to painful for me. Sounds like two dozen dentist drills simultaneously.

No thanks.
IMO, the noise isn't really worse than the loud, high pitched V10 revving to 20k rpm back in the days, now that was painful!

I think they should develop a system to have either inductive charging on the track (less likely) or being able to replace the battery pack in mere seconds (more likely). Simply unscrew some bolts, pop the battery out, place new one in, screw the bolts, go! In 10 seconds max. Because right now the biggest drawback IMO is that the cars have to be switched when one is empty on battery. This way it happens that someone obliterates the race in the first half, but as soon as the car is changed, the racer falls behind for 10 places because of the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #14
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower
Quote:

No thanks.
IMO, the noise isn't really worse than the loud, high pitched V10 revving to 20k rpm back in the days, now that was painful!

I think they should develop a system to have either inductive charging on the track (less likely) or being able to replace the battery pack in mere seconds (more likely). Simply unscrew some bolts, pop the battery out, place new one in, screw the bolts, go! In 10 seconds max. Because right now the biggest drawback IMO is that the cars have to be switched when one is empty on battery. This way it happens that someone obliterates the race in the first half, but as soon as the car is changed, the racer falls behind for 10 places because of the car.
Lol, the V10's were painful? Clearly we are not on the same page. To me, those were the best sounding F1 engines ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #15
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep

Quote:
Lol, the V10's were painful? Clearly we are not on the same page. To me, those were the best sounding F1 engines ever.
Of course they were the best sounding, V10 obviously! But very loud. Painfully loud in my opinion when you are close to the straight, where the F1 flies past at full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #16
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
... And this commitment has given the company a platform on which to press its claim as a leader in electric mobility. We’ve succeeded in bringing the driving pleasure for which BMW is renowned to the attention of millions of people in major cities around the world. ...
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere already, but NASDAQ seems to think that BMW will add electric power to all its cars within the next decade. To some degree, anyway.

[NASDAQ] BMW: All Models Electric Within Decade
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/bmw-al...20150629-00597
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0