BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

11-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #1
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Vs. Cayman GT4

The wheels and wing are horrendous. Cayman GT4 please at this price point.
2013 BMW M6 Eisenmann Race(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmellion
The wheels and wing are horrendous. Cayman GT4 please at this price point.
So you want less car at this price point??
      11-19-2015, 06:21 AM   #3
CARTOON
Il dio li benedice tutti.
United_States
Rep
Drives: GEN V Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
You CANNOT be serious. Less car? LMAO. Ever driven a GT4? The car is absolutely fantastic. I own one. One of the most amazing cars I've ever driven, and that speaks volumes.
      11-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Like I said in the other GTS thread, a GT4 for track days and collectibility and an M2/RS3 for daily driving long before that overpriced M4 GTS.
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2015, 06:36 AM   #5
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

The GTS is $50,000 more expensive at base price. No one buying a GTS will be cross-shopping a GT4. They will be cross-shopping GT3, or possibly used McLarens and maybe the i8 and 911 turbo.

That said, I'd honestly rather have the GT4 over the GTS.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTOON
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
You CANNOT be serious. Less car? LMAO. Ever driven a GT4? The car is absolutely fantastic. I own one. One of the most amazing cars I've ever driven, and that speaks volumes.
Agreed. Lol. Some people...
2013 BMW M6 Eisenmann Race(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #7
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

anyone picking the GTS over the GT4 cayman falls into one of these categories:
  • Want to have the "limited edition" exclusivity of the GTS
  • Don't plan on doing serious tracking with the cars
  • Have never driven a GT4 (or a Cayman R as an alternative) and have no clue how these cars perform in the track
  • Posers who want to claim they have the more "expensive" car.

I love what BMW did with the GTS in terms of performance and such, but at that price range, the GT3 and other similar offerings are much more appealing.

me, personally, I'd take this beauty anyday of the week, and thrice on sundays (on a track)

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 4
      11-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

The poser-proof transmission in the GT4 scares some people off.
Appreciate 6
      11-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTOON View Post
The M4 GTS seems to be more closely matched to the 911GT3 than the Cayman GT4.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-21-2015 at 05:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #10
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
The M4 GTS seems to be more closely matched to the 911GT3 the Cayman GT4.
It is probably a better match performance wise but I would'nt be surprise if both Porsches were far more involving cars to drive on the circuit, and this really is the point of these cars IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #11
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
  • Have never driven a GT4 (or a Cayman R as an alternative) and have no clue how these cars perform in the track

I love what BMW did with the GTS in terms of performance and such, but at that price range, the GT3 and other similar offerings are much more appealing.

me, personally, I'd take this beauty anyday of the week, and thrice on sundays (on a track)

I am picking a GTS over the GT4 for none of the reasons that you stated and I have driven a GT4 both on track and on the street.

I track a lot in our short season with over 20 days at the track this year with my M4
The GT4 is way overgeared for serious track duty with the amount of power & torque that is has.
I really think the GTS has the ability to be a very good track car and do intend to use it to its potential.My M4 so far has been quite good at the track with only brake pads & tires as the mods.
The only things that I am not happy with is that the CCB 's are standard and I will change to steels before seriously tracking it and the seats with no belt pass through.
Appreciate 3
      11-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

GT4 is a beautiful car to say the least, and I would take it on looks alone. A good GT4 driver will beat a ok GT3 any day of the week. My point here would apply to a GTS driver as well ......I would say 95% of us aren't skilled enough to max out these performance cars. Hell just have fun no matter which one you choose. The GTS is just ugly in my opinion, and I think they could have done a better job in the looks category. I could care less if I could have gotten 1 of the 300 bound for the US looks like a tricked up 435 .......

Got a note from my Porsche dealer yesterday was I interested in a GT4 for 120k 10k over MSRP, and it had 1000k miles I said ha are you serious NO! As a buyer we all control the hype, and the less we bite they have to stop gauging. The bubble will burst boys 2016 GDP will not hold up, and cars will pile up. Once the GT3RS market dries up, and the over supply of Mclarens keep flooding the market options will be out there. Just get me a 458 2012 for about 185k sub 10k miles I'm a happy camper. Just have a brain lock paying over 200k for a car just feels wrong. With that said enjoy your M cars, and have some fun and they are all just cars never be loyal to just one brand too many hot choices out there!
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #13
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

I am picking a GTS over the GT4 for none of the reasons that you stated and I have driven a GT4 both on track and on the street.

I track a lot in our short season with over 20 days at the track this year with my M4
The GT4 is way overgeared for serious track duty with the amount of power & torque that is has.
I really think the GTS has the ability to be a very good track car and do intend to use it to its potential.My M4 so far has been quite good at the track with only brake pads & tires as the mods.
The only things that I am not happy with is that the CCB 's are standard and I will change to steels before seriously tracking it and the seats with no belt pass through.
Curious to know what made you choose the GTS over a GT3, is it because of the exclusivity of owning 1/300, pricing and availability of the GT3, or you simply think the BMW is the better car maybe!? I'd really like to ear what an actual buyer has to say about that since people are pretty unanimous here, me included, on the fact that they would get a GT3 over a $135k M4. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #14
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Don't think anyone on this board has an allocation for a GTS?? If so I would guess they're the lucky owner of a 200k M4 damn that hurts. (My assumptions with Mark up)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #15
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mpossible View Post
Curious to know what made you choose the GTS over a GT3, is it because of the exclusivity of owning 1/300, pricing and availability of the GT3, or you simply think the BMW is the better car maybe!? I'd really like to ear what an actual buyer has to say about that since people are pretty unanimous here, me included, on the fact that they would get a GT3 over a $135k M4. Thanks in advance.
After owning and tracking an M4 for the last year I continue to be quite impressed with it.The only thing that it does poorly at is Autocrossing due to turbo lag.After competing in the Ontario 1500 both myself and my codriver identified the shortcomings for the track which the GTS should address with some downforce and lighter weight.We really impressed the other competitors with how well our M4 worked on the track during the event.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #16
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Don't think anyone on this board has an allocation for a GTS?? If so I would guess they're the lucky owner of a 200k M4 damn that hurts. (My assumptions with Mark up)
I will not pay any ADM as this will be our households 8th BMW purchase in the last 9 years including 4 M's.Not to mention all the cars that are purchased by our business over the years.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #17
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
After owning and tracking an M4 for the last year I continue to be quite impressed with it.The only thing that it does poorly at is Autocrossing due to turbo lag.After competing in the Ontario 1500 both myself and my codriver identified the shortcomings for the track which the GTS should address with some downforce and lighter weight.We really impressed the other competitors with how well our M4 worked on the track during the event.
Appreciate the awnser ...but I'm still left wondering what you think the GTS has over a GT3 and that's really the interrogation I have when I think that someone could theoretically own a GT3 for that same amount of money but prefer the GTS. I see by your last post that you are a big fan of BMW cars, could it have been the biggest factor for your decision?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #18
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the awnser ...but I'm still left wondering what you think the GTS has over a GT3 and that's really the interrogation I have when I think that someone could theoretically own a GT3 for that same amount of money but prefer the GTS. I see by your last post that you are a big fan of BMW cars, could it have been the biggest factor for your decision?
The GT3 is a lot more money here in Canada in Canada and are not available as a new car anymore only used.Also the GT3 has a lot of time life items when they are tracked.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #19
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The GT3 is a lot more money here in Canada in Canada and are not available as a new car anymore only used.Also the GT3 has a lot of time life items when they are tracked.
That make sense, thanks for taking the time and congrats on the new toy! Can't wait to read your thoughts on the car once you had time to have some fun with it!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #20
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
GT4 is a beautiful car to say the least, and I would take it on looks alone. A good GT4 driver will beat a ok GT3 any day of the week. My point here would apply to a GTS driver as well ......I would say 95% of us aren't skilled enough to max out these performance cars. Hell just have fun no matter which one you choose. The GTS is just ugly in my opinion, and I think they could have done a better job in the looks category. I could care less if I could have gotten 1 of the 300 bound for the US looks like a tricked up 435 .......

Got a note from my Porsche dealer yesterday was I interested in a GT4 for 120k 10k over MSRP, and it had 1000k miles I said ha are you serious NO! As a buyer we all control the hype, and the less we bite they have to stop gauging. The bubble will burst boys 2016 GDP will not hold up, and cars will pile up. Once the GT3RS market dries up, and the over supply of Mclarens keep flooding the market options will be out there. Just get me a 458 2012 for about 185k sub 10k miles I'm a happy camper. Just have a brain lock paying over 200k for a car just feels wrong. With that said enjoy your M cars, and have some fun and they are all just cars never be loyal to just one brand too many hot choices out there!

That's some California BS. Your avatar suggests you are in ATL - I'd honestly be surprised that they've started doing that around here. I haven't heard of many dealers outside of SoCal and the Bay area trying to pull that +$20k over MSRP crap on the new allocations. Plenty of folks in the SE, myself included, got GT4 allocations at MSRP.

Porsche GT cars are definitely in a bubble - I suspect we'll see more normalized depreciation in time.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #21
cays
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Germans

Quote:
Like I said in the other GTS thread, a GT4 for track days and collectibility and an M2/RS3 for daily driving long before that overpriced M4 GTS.
As a strategy for spending GTS money on something else, for the person that enjoys driving for the pure joy of driving whether it be on track or street IMO one couldn't do better than this.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #22
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
It's subjective. I'll have both, thanks

Honestly though, I'm starting to think the perfect car for a weekend drive would be a 991 GTS w/ 7 speed manual. I don't think I would buy an M4 GTS. For that kind of money there's other cars I would consider.