F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Preparing to install jb4
proTUNING Freaks

11-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
F30silverbullet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30/335

Preparing to install jb4

So I just received my jb4 last night and now preparing/educating myself for install. Now that I have jb4 in hand, it seems like a pretty straight forward install. I do have just a few questions.
I understand I first disconnect negative battery terminal. Following, I'll be disconnecting/connecting Tmap & Map sensors.
Flex fuel sensor, I leave disconnected unless I start to run e85 mixtures correct?
Now this leaves me with only 2 CANbus wires to connect. I have a 2014 335 and under my dash (drivers side) I have what looks like OBDII connector ( I may be totally wrong.) Am I tapping jb4 wires into this existing connector? Or do I need to buy the $15 OBDII connector from BMS and use that?
As for "software updates" is this something I'll be needing to do as well before I install?
I'll be purchasing bluetooth kit from BMS so I can control everything from my iphone.
If Im missing anything else or have any tips before getting started, please feel free to comment too. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30silverbullet View Post
Flex fuel sensor, I leave disconnected unless I start to run e85 mixtures correct?

You can leave it discoed but as easy as it is, I'd connect them.

Now this leaves me with only 2 CANbus wires to connect. I have a 2014 335 and under my dash (drivers side) I have what looks like OBDII connector ( I may be totally wrong.) Am I tapping jb4 wires into this existing connector?

You can, I wouldn't.

Or do I need to buy the $15 OBDII connector from BMS and use that?

You don't NEED to but it's easier and leaves no trace.

As for "software updates" is this something I'll be needing to do as well before I install?

You'll probably need 12V to the JB4 so yeah, install then update.

I'll be purchasing bluetooth kit from BMS so I can control everything from my iphone.

Damn that thing is $$$ and you still need to buy the ~$27 app.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
I'm reading this and am a bit confused. Is there a new way to intall the jb4? I'm reading the comment about connecting via odbii which would not leave a trace? Makes it sound like no splicing into wires is necessary which would be sweet (I got the stage 1 instead because I didn't want to splice into existing wires).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
I'm reading this and am a bit confused. Is there a new way to intall the jb4? I'm reading the comment about connecting via odbii which would not leave a trace? Makes it sound like no splicing into wires is necessary which would be sweet (I got the stage 1 instead because I didn't want to splice into existing wires).

Thanks!
Yes. Go to the BMS site and check out the OBD2 connector. That and the OBD2 software on a JB4 are what you want.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
F30silverbullet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30/335

I just ordered the OBDII.
What about the oem canbus (circled in red) do i tuck that away and install the new obdII there? or leave it in place and put the new obdII where the blue diamond is?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i X Drive M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Your going to be plugging the ODB connector they sent you into that port you have circled in red. You will then fish the wires through a hole in the firewall and connect them to the 2 bare wires coming off of the JB4.
I don't have a JB4 (yet) but my understanding is that plugging it into the ODBII port allows you to change maps and other features using your steering wheel buttons.
I'm new to this so I'm not sure how this differs from previous JB4 versions. Also you might want to check if there is a need for the ODBII connector if your getting the bluetooth module, I THINK they do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post

Thanks!
The JB4 now comes with an optional OBD harness which allows you to plug the CAN wires into the Cars Diagnostic port. This leaves no trace as no wires need to be tapped (old way used Posi-Taps)

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaiderDavid View Post
I don't have a JB4 (yet) but my understanding is that plugging it into the ODBII port allows you to change maps and other features using your steering wheel buttons.
That is correct. The OBD firmware allows steering wheel controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaiderDavid View Post

I'm new to this so I'm not sure how this differs from previous JB4 versions. Also you might want to check if there is a need for the ODBII connector if your getting the bluetooth module, I THINK they do the same thing.
The performance and mapping is the same its just the map switching controls and other features are different.

The Blue Tooth module is something else, as it allows you to connect in with the JB Software on a Tablet as opposed to hooking up a USB cable and laptop interface.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
RyanMv4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 440xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The JB4 now comes with an optional OBD harness which allows you to plug the CAN wires into the Cars Diagnostic port. This leaves no trace as no wires need to be tapped (old way used Posi-Taps)

Mike
I just ordered the JB4 now, does it now come shipped with the OBD harness or do you mean that the OBD harness is now available to purchase separately ?
      11-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaiderDavid
Your going to be plugging the ODB connector they sent you into that port you have circled in red. You will then fish the wires through a hole in the firewall and connect them to the 2 bare wires coming off of the JB4.
You're correct on everything except the steering wheel controls are not in use any longer, that was earlier versions. Now the BC button on your turn signal stalk controls everything.

If you do choose to go the obd connector route (and I would-I did as well) you will need the "PWG hex" or "EWG hex" updates which are easily performed once the jb4 is connected. Go to n54tech.com and the file is there you need.

Newer jb4 if ordered directly from BMS may have the update already, I'd check with them.