F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > The New BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo (LCI)
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-01-2016, 05:20 PM   #45
clbmw
Major
211
Rep
1,344
Posts

Drives: 320d M135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I don't hate it but it does remind me of the Mazda that was tailgating me this morning
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #46
CalCarNut
Colonel
CalCarNut's Avatar
United_States
604
Rep
2,878
Posts

Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Blue Skies

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sales for both the 3GT and the GC are flat...BMW is hinting at eliminating one and basically combining the 2. I don't understand the GT...when the X3 already exists..so if you have to kill one off, it should be the GT imo.........
__________________
2015 BMW F36 428i JetBlack. Sport Line Edition
25% 3M Tint|-GSR Stage 1|
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #47
Billfitz
Colonel
United_States
759
Rep
2,863
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
I don't understand the GT...when the X3 already exists.
The GT has more rear legroom, as much trunk space, is 6 inches lower, drives much better, and is far quieter. Quite a few X3 owners who've seen, and more important sat in, my GT said they'd have bought the GT if it had been available prior to the 2014 model year. The latest convert after seeing and sitting in my GT currently has a 535. If not for the GT I would not have bought a BMW. None of the car models lower than the 7 series had the passenger space I wanted, even a 7 didn't have the cargo room, and I did not want an SUV.

Last edited by Billfitz; 06-01-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Appreciate 6
      06-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #48
CalCarNut
Colonel
CalCarNut's Avatar
United_States
604
Rep
2,878
Posts

Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Blue Skies

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
3GT has 6" more leg room than the GC...nice to have for sure. 10cuft of cargo if seats are down. BMW certainly has all the niches covered.....
__________________
2015 BMW F36 428i JetBlack. Sport Line Edition
25% 3M Tint|-GSR Stage 1|
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #49
Enilder
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan S
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (0)

Dislike...massive dislike...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #50
brissim
Lieutenant
29
Rep
448
Posts

Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

As with a couple of people here it really does amuse me the dislike others have for the 3 GT. IMO what it really boils down to is whether you like hatchbacks or not.

When we get our Australian specifications and pricing (next week I've read elsewhere), we'll certainly be looking at this as a possible replacement for our 5 year old F25 X3 30d. For me the appeal is :-
1. with the higher ground clearance, its much easier to get in/out of. Read somewhere the seat is 59mm (2.3 in) higher than the standard 3 Series.
2. higher profile tyres (for any given wheel size) than the standard 3 Series gives a more comfortable ride
3. Despite it being a hatchback/liftback, the boot has more volume (both with seat up or down) than the 3 Series wagon.
4. Rear seat legroom is close to the 7 Series thanks to the 100mm longer wheel base (and 200mm longer overall length) than the 3 Series.

The way I look at it you are getting a 5 Series size car for a price a little more than a 3 Series. Its basically a cross between a 3 series wagon and an X3 SUV.

Tony

ps - why isn't this thread in the F34 section?
Appreciate 2
      06-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #51
GuyOh
Colonel
GuyOh's Avatar
Canada
96
Rep
2,005
Posts

Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2016 X1 M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C.

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
2er active tourer, 2er GT and the 5er GT is just plain ugly
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #52
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
135
Rep
457
Posts

Drives: Estoril Blue
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
As with a couple of people here it really does amuse me the dislike others have for the 3 GT. IMO what it really boils down to is whether you like hatchbacks or not.

When we get our Australian specifications and pricing (next week I've read elsewhere), we'll certainly be looking at this as a possible replacement for our 5 year old F25 X3 30d. For me the appeal is :-
1. with the higher ground clearance, its much easier to get in/out of. Read somewhere the seat is 59mm (2.3 in) higher than the standard 3 Series.
2. higher profile tyres (for any given wheel size) than the standard 3 Series gives a more comfortable ride
3. Despite it being a hatchback/liftback, the boot has more volume (both with seat up or down) than the 3 Series wagon.
4. Rear seat legroom is close to the 7 Series thanks to the 100mm longer wheel base (and 200mm longer overall length) than the 3 Series.

The way I look at it you are getting a 5 Series size car for a price a little more than a 3 Series. Its basically a cross between a 3 series wagon and an X3 SUV.

Tony

ps - why isn't this thread in the F34 section?
Not true. Going to get a 440GC which is a hatchback. The GT just looks akward and ugly as others here have stated. On the other hand I do see the utility of the vehicle as you have mentioned, just can't overlook the styling.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 10:11 PM   #53
Y0tsuya
Second Lieutenant
51
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT, 2016 340i 8AT
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
Sales for both the 3GT and the GC are flat...BMW is hinting at eliminating one and basically combining the 2. I don't understand the GT...when the X3 already exists..so if you have to kill one off, it should be the GT imo.........
When ordering my new 340i, my local BMW sales guy admitted that he can't keep track of all the different models and their options anymore. He used to be able to, 10yrs ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #54
Billfitz
Colonel
United_States
759
Rep
2,863
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enilder View Post
Dislike...massive dislike...
Don't buy one. End of problem.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2016, 11:47 PM   #55
ynguldyn
Major
744
Rep
1,335
Posts

Drives: the other car.
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Still not clear if/when the US will get the B46 and B58.
Pretty clear to me: July production.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:01 AM   #56
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
VTECaddict's Avatar
United_States
298
Rep
6,069
Posts

Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (4)

It's the same type of car the Toyota Venza and Honda Crosstour were. Neither of those made it to a second generation. I think it's a pretty small niche of buyers who want more space, but don't want a wagon nor an SUV. And once those buyers get theirs, the market for it dries up.

Time will tell if we'll see a second gen 5GT or 3GT...
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR coilovers | Blacklines | M-tech rear | dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | High-kick CF spoiler | NBT Retrofit
M3 front control arms | M3 rear guide rods | Manzo rear toe and camber links | Monroe rear shock mounts | Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 12:36 AM   #57
openwheelracing
Lieutenant
27
Rep
443
Posts

Drives: F30 320i AW ZSP
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

iTrader: (0)

Hey it's the grand coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:56 AM   #58
M-Sport Wagon Funnnnnnnnn
Private First Class
M-Sport Wagon Funnnnnnnnn's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: '17 328d M-Sport Touring
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Springfield, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
[quote=DerekS;20033083]Yes, you can purchase a diesel 328d Touring in North America It's a terrific car and offers much better handling and svelte styling compared to the egg-shaped 3er GT.

Now that I reread my discussion it does sound incorrect. I do know and am buying a 328d SportWagen (Touring) for the states while I am here in Germany. Without the Audi A4 Avant being sold in the States the BMW is the most beautiful wagon on the road. Being in Europe, every car (or at least every 9/10) are wagons or hatchbacks and when I see those Avants I still get all giggly inside.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 04:50 AM   #59
Skald
Private
Skald's Avatar
Hungary
33
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: '16 F34 320d luxury
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Tourings are so common in my country, that the streets are flooded with them. You can laugh all you want, I bought my GT for the looks also not just the practicality. Anyone who doubts that this car serves no purpose is just delusional. I drove 12k kms in the last 2 months with this car because I travel a lot and I can tell you, if a car was made for long trips then it's the GT. 4 GC is a beautiful car and yes it's kind of a hatchback, anyway you can't compare them when it comes to backseat and headroom space. The majority thinks niche is a bad thing, when it comes to individual needs it's totally the opposite. In many opinions here, it seems that if you need something different you are just a complete moron - Well at least I'm a satisfied moron without any randomly directed rage. I'm quite sure many haters here haven't even observed a 3 gt in real life.
Appreciate 3
      06-02-2016, 05:58 AM   #60
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
2089
Rep
16,775
Posts

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Pretty clear to me: July production.
Like the 440i that arrived in spring everywhere except NA?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1215009

Without a US-specific press release like this one:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262859

There is no guarantee.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #61
HighlandPete
Major General
1320
Rep
8,535
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald View Post
Tourings are so common in my country, that the streets are flooded with them. You can laugh all you want, I bought my GT for the looks also not just the practicality. Anyone who doubts that this car serves no purpose is just delusional. I drove 12k kms in the last 2 months with this car because I travel a lot and I can tell you, if a car was made for long trips then it's the GT. 4 GC is a beautiful car and yes it's kind of a hatchback, anyway you can't compare them when it comes to backseat and headroom space. The majority thinks niche is a bad thing, when it comes to individual needs it's totally the opposite. In many opinions here, it seems that if you need something different you are just a complete moron - Well at least I'm a satisfied moron without any randomly directed rage. I'm quite sure many haters here haven't even observed a 3 gt in real life.
Similar thinking, the 3GT is certainly an alternative to us touring 'wagon' users. I'm in a 5-series wagon but the 3GT was definitely a car to cross compare. Something 'different' was a serious reason to consider it, plus practical, spacious, smaller platform.

Part of the negative perception has to be the use of tourings and hatches in Europe, compared to the US market. Personally I don't understand why wagons are not really wanted in the US. Does that influence the hate on the GT?

One thing I have noticed, the 3GT is very colour sensitive, something like mineral grey looks the part, IMO. Darker colours seem to suit it best.

I know the 2-series active tourer gets a similar negative press from BMW forums. Plenty of them around me, they clearly fit a market in a rural environment, where practicality comes high on the requirements list.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #62
alexa0002
Registered
alexa0002's Avatar
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: Opel
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Detroit

iTrader: (0)

very nice photos
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #63
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
135
Rep
457
Posts

Drives: Estoril Blue
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Like the 440i that arrived in spring everywhere except NA?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1215009

Without a US-specific press release like this one:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262859

There is no guarantee.
July production guaranteed. Available in Canada so willing to bet the USA will also have it. Otherwise BMW USA won't sell many because you guys will all just come over the WALL and buy one in Canada with the the strong American dollar.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #64
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
135
Rep
457
Posts

Drives: Estoril Blue
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald View Post
Tourings are so common in my country, that the streets are flooded with them. You can laugh all you want, I bought my GT for the looks also not just the practicality. Anyone who doubts that this car serves no purpose is just delusional. I drove 12k kms in the last 2 months with this car because I travel a lot and I can tell you, if a car was made for long trips then it's the GT. 4 GC is a beautiful car and yes it's kind of a hatchback, anyway you can't compare them when it comes to backseat and headroom space. The majority thinks niche is a bad thing, when it comes to individual needs it's totally the opposite. In many opinions here, it seems that if you need something different you are just a complete moron - Well at least I'm a satisfied moron without any randomly directed rage. I'm quite sure many haters here haven't even observed a 3 gt in real life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Similar thinking, the 3GT is certainly an alternative to us touring 'wagon' users. I'm in a 5-series wagon but the 3GT was definitely a car to cross compare. Something 'different' was a serious reason to consider it, plus practical, spacious, smaller platform.

Part of the negative perception has to be the use of tourings and hatches in Europe, compared to the US market. Personally I don't understand why wagons are not really wanted in the US. Does that influence the hate on the GT?

One thing I have noticed, the 3GT is very colour sensitive, something like mineral grey looks the part, IMO. Darker colours seem to suit it best.

I know the 2-series active tourer gets a similar negative press from BMW forums. Plenty of them around me, they clearly fit a market in a rural environment, where practicality comes high on the requirements list.
North Americans don't have to settle on a vehicle such as the GT because we have lots of room and cheap gas. If we need to carry stuff we buy a big SUV hence the huge growth in SUV's. In Europe and other parts of the world you kind of have to compromise on design and practicality hence you see so many more 3GT and wagons.
That is why I think the GT doesn't sell well here. The look of the car is more important than the practicality here because we are able to buy cars that are much more specific in use and style.
Appreciate 3
      06-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #65
Bspreen
New Member
Bspreen's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: e90 325xi 6mt, e70 X5 35d
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
I love the new LCI look! I've always had a soft spot for the 3 series Giant Trunk. I'd rather BMW use those resources to give me a manual f31 340i rwd instead though.
__________________
Garage
2009 X5 35d - 2006 325xi 6MT - e36 325i race car
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #66
Skald
Private
Skald's Avatar
Hungary
33
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: '16 F34 320d luxury
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bspreen View Post
I love the new LCI look! I've always had a soft spot for the 3 series Giant Trunk. I'd rather BMW use those resources to give me a manual f31 340i rwd instead though.
Indeed it's a shame that manual options are less day by day, but I don't think it's about dividing resources - I might be wrong though. I thought they will always keep a manual option for some high end engine to satisfy the old school needs. I don't really understand why isn't it available for the touring. It's ok for me if performance diesel engines are equipped with automatic only because with the lower rev range you need to shift a lot to achieve the optimal torque all the time, but manual with a petrol engine will always be a great fun.

Last edited by Skald; 06-02-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST