F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Group Sales Increase Worldwide in May
Extreme Powerhouse

06-10-2016, 02:43 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Group Sales Increase Worldwide in May

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Group Continues to Achieve Steady Sales Increase Worldwide
COMMENTS
Name:  bmw-s-tower-and-museum-in-munich-celebrate-40-years-of-existence-63145_1.jpg
Views: 4131
Size:  1.00 MB

June 10, 2016.

Munich. The BMW Group achieved its best-ever May in terms of sales with a total of 198,354 vehicles delivered to customers around the world, an increase of 5.3% on the same month last year. This continuing growth means the company’s automotive sales in the year-to-date are 5.0% higher than at the same point in the year in 2015, with a total of 935,288 vehicles sold globally so far this year.

“Our sales continue to show sustainable growth, well in line with our expectations,” said Dr Ian Robertson, Member of the BMW AG Board of Management with responsibility for Sales and Marketing BMW. “Our target is to ensure profitable growth in sales and thanks to our attractive model line-up, that’s what we are achieving,” he continued.

Sales of BMW brand vehicles totalled 168,129 in May, an increase of 5.6% on the same month last year. In the year-to-date, sales are up 5.0% with a total of 797,457 vehicles delivered to customers around the world. May saw strong growth in the sales of many BMW models such as the BMW 2 Series (16,823 / +47.6%), the BMW X1 (13,884 / +47.8%), the BMW X4 (4,947 / +13.0%) and the BMW 7 Series (4,539 / +32.4%).

Meanwhile sales of the brand’s recently introduced plug-in hybrid models continued to see sales grow, especially in markets which actively encourage customers to purchase an electric vehicles. For example, the BMW 330e iPerformance went on sale in Europe in March and already in May, almost every eighth BMW 3 Series sold in the UK and more than a quarter of all BMW 3 Series sold in the Netherlands was a plug-in hybrid version of the world’s best-selling premium model range.

MINI sales also grew in May with a total of 29,864 vehicles delivered worldwide, an increase of 3.6% on the same month last year. Year-to-date, MINI sales are up 5.2% to total 136,617 in the first five months. The brand’s main growth drivers in May were the MINI Convertible (3,604 / +116.7%) and the MINI Clubman, which was delivered to a total of 4,681 customers around the world last month.

In Europe, combined monthly sales of BMW and MINI totalled 91,347 in May, up 11.9% compared with the same month last year. Sales in Germany increased 14.3% (21,829), while a total of 7,218 MINI and BMW vehicles were delivered to customers in France (+12.3%) and a total of 7,005 vehicles were sold in Italy (+16.0%). Overall year-to-date sales for BMW and MINI in Europe total 432,545, an increase of 10.3%.

Asia also saw steady growth in BMW and MINI sales last month with a total of 58,725 vehicles delivered to customers in May (+6.3%). The region’s biggest market, Mainland China, achieved a 7.1% increase compared to the same month last year, with a total of 40,123 vehicles sold. Monthly sales in South Korea grew 14.4%, with a total of 5,250 vehicles sold, while customer deliveries in Japan increased 5.2% to total 5,264 in the month. In the first five months of the year, a total of 293,188 BMW and MINI vehicles were sold in Asia, an increase of 6.2% compared to the same period last year.

Sales of BMW and MINI in the Americas decreased 7.3% in May compared with the same month last year, with a total of 42,066 vehicles delivered to customers in the region. May sales in the USA are down 8.8% (33,612). Year-to-date sales of BMW and MINI vehicles in the Americas region total 180,099 which is down 7.9% compared with the same period last year.

Sales continue to grow at BMW Motorrad where May saw a total of 15,180 motorcycles and maxi-scooters delivered to customers, an increase of 1.2% on the same month last year. Year-to-date figures show an increase of 4.5% (65,761).

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 12.37.24 AM.jpg
Views: 4172
Size:  33.6 KB

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Wow, impressive global figures again. I thought I saw recently that America had a dip in May so looks like ROTW is selling very well.
      06-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

As former BMW executive, USMC aviator, and all around automotive stud Bob Lutz so eloquently stated in the July 2016 issue of Road & Track Magazine:

“BMW has ceased to be a company designing responsive, sporting cars for enthusiasts. It has gone mainstream, which from a shareholder’s perspective, has been a good move. The brand is greatly respected, and BMW earned that respect. Most BMW buyer’s today pay a monthly lease and have no idea why they bought the brand, other than that it enjoys instant recognition and respect among the owner’s peers. Taut ride, superb handling, sharp steering, and symphonic-quality engine sound have mostly fallen by the wayside; today’s BMW customer neither notices nor cares…”

I have to agree with Mr. Lutz. The naturally aspirated E46 was the last 3-Series that I truly enjoyed driving (I had a 2000 323i Sedan with ZSP and 6MT and still have a 2004 M3 Coupe with 6MT). My E90 335i with ZSP and 6MT was still a fun car to drive for the most part, despite its bulk, HPFP issues and other numerous faults. Today, I find myself merely tolerating my 2013 F30 328i with ZMT and 6MT. IMO, BMW peaked for enthusiasts about 10 years ago, and the company has since shifted its focus and marketing strategy to capturing more conventional Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura drivers.
      06-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW AG had to make a choice over a decade ago.

Stay as they were or grow. The BMW from the 1990's and early 2000's is long gone and will never be seen again.

The growth needed was more products for more consumers in more global markets.

If BMW still was only making the 3 Series, 5 Series, 7 Series and X Series it would have been dead or dying.

BMW is an independent company and must adapt with the vision of 10, 20 and 30 years in the future.

And they don't make cars like they used to because the company has evolved significantly not to survive, but thrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

The “grow or die” business philosophy is a falsehood. The truth is that growth can be good or bad for business. What's more important than getting bigger is getting better. Despite BMW’s ongoing marketing campaigns, they’ve forfeited the “ultimate driving machine” title to be all things to all people. BMW isn’t producing better performance cars at this point, they’re just selling a lot more conventional, turbocharged cars (many with M badges stuck all over them even though they weren’t designed by the Motorsport Division). I contend that “growth for growth’s sake” will negatively impact BMW’s brand loyalty AND value in the long run.
      06-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris View Post
Wow, impressive global figures again. I thought I saw recently that America had a dip in May...
Yep, second to last paragraph in the OP:

Quote:
Sales of BMW and MINI in the Americas decreased 7.3% in May compared with the same month last year, with a total of 42,066 vehicles delivered to customers in the region. May sales in the USA are down 8.8% (33,612). Year-to-date sales of BMW and MINI vehicles in the Americas region total 180,099 which is down 7.9% compared with the same period last year.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
... The growth needed was more products for more consumers in more global markets. ...
Agree. The US market isn't everything. Important but still just a part of the big picture.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2016, 03:07 AM   #8
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Mercedes is way in front of BMW (~20k cars) mainly due to a FWD model - CLA.
BMW doesn't have such a model and they will build a RWD rival.
M Sport packages are a great add for those who don't need an M model, but want a more aggressive look.
I hope that the dynamics of the cars will be improved with the new generations using the CarbonCore platforms! 😊
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 03:37 AM   #9
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris View Post
Wow, impressive global figures again. I thought I saw recently that America had a dip in May so looks like ROTW is selling very well.
The problem is the market grows even more. So BMW can cheer all they want but they still lose market shares on a lot of markets even if they sell more than ever...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
scoleda
Rep
Drives: 14 Z4

Keep in mind that US production and incentives all have to do with a supply driven infrastructure from BMW its all about making the most money per allocation. US market sales are sold at such a discount compared to other markets. If BMW is able to allocate more to other markets that earn a larger profit then it makes good business sense to do so. Here in the US, you will see that the dealer infrastructure makes our country the capacitor to fulfill extra capacity. When that happens you will notice larger incentives. They are a smart company. And I agree that I'm lad they grew, otherwise they might be right in there with Volvo, Saab, and Land Rover.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06 View Post
As former BMW executive, USMC aviator, and all around automotive stud Bob Lutz so eloquently stated in the July 2016 issue of Road & Track Magazine:

“BMW has ceased to be a company designing responsive, sporting cars for enthusiasts. It has gone mainstream, which from a shareholder’s perspective, has been a good move. The brand is greatly respected, and BMW earned that respect. Most BMW buyer’s today pay a monthly lease and have no idea why they bought the brand, other than that it enjoys instant recognition and respect among the owner’s peers. Taut ride, superb handling, sharp steering, and symphonic-quality engine sound have mostly fallen by the wayside; today’s BMW customer neither notices nor cares…”

I have to agree with Mr. Lutz. The naturally aspirated E46 was the last 3-Series that I truly enjoyed driving (I had a 2000 323i Sedan with ZSP and 6MT and still have a 2004 M3 Coupe with 6MT). My E90 335i with ZSP and 6MT was still a fun car to drive for the most part, despite its bulk, HPFP issues and other numerous faults. Today, I find myself merely tolerating my 2013 F30 328i with ZMT and 6MT. IMO, BMW peaked for enthusiasts about 10 years ago, and the company has since shifted its focus and marketing strategy to capturing more conventional Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura drivers.
I agree 100%. My first BMW was E88, and that drive was amazing and always brought smile to my face every time I drove it. I looked forward to driving the car. I was pretty satisfied with F30, but its driving feel never brought smile to my face. It's overall a nice car, but I feel that I could've easily gotten the same feeling with an Audi A4.

I do think BMW does have a winner on their hands with the new X1, but the fun feeling is closer to driving a Mazda with faster acceleration than to what BMW cars used to be.

I am not criticizing BMW with the direction they've taken because I understand why they did what they did. BMW cars are still competitive in the marketplace but have lost that magic that used to make my heart beat faster when driving my E88.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #12
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
Mercedes is way in front of BMW (~20k cars) mainly due to a FWD model - CLA.
BMW doesn't have such a model and they will build a RWD rival.
M Sport packages are a great add for those who don't need an M model, but want a more aggressive look.
I hope that the dynamics of the cars will be improved with the new generations using the CarbonCore platforms! 😊
Remember though Mercedes group commercials and Smart together whereas BMW group MINI,Rolls-Royce and BMW Motorrad separately.