F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Awarded in New J.D. Power Technology Ranking
GetBMWParts

10-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Awarded in New J.D. Power Technology Ranking

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW 2 Series and 4 Series Awarded in New J.D. Power Technology Ranking
COMMENTS

According to a new study by J.D. Power (2016 U.S. Tech Experience Index (TXI) Study) focusing on automotive technology, BMW leads two segment when it comes to how satisfied car buyers are with the technology in their vehicles.

The BMW models that ranked the highest in their segments were the 2 Series (small premium segment) and the 4 Series (compact premium segment).

This is the first year that J.D. Power has conducted this study and the data was collected by surveying a vehicle owner's interaction with the car's technology at 90 days of ownership,. The major technology categories analyzed in the study include collision protection; comfort and convenience; driving assistance; entertainment and connectivity; navigation; and smartphone mirroring.

Press Release:

Quote:
DETROIT: 10 Oct. 2016 — BMW and Hyundai each have two models that rank highest in overall customer experience with vehicle technology in their respective segment, according to the J.D. Power 2016 U.S. Tech Experience Index (TXI) Study,SM released today.

The inaugural study measures a vehicle owner’s experiences, usage and interaction with driver-centric vehicle technology at 90 days of ownership. The major technology categories analyzed in the study include collision protection; comfort and convenience; driving assistance; entertainment and connectivity; navigation; and smartphone mirroring.

BMW models that rank highest in their segment1 are the 2 Series (small premium segment) and 4 Series (compact premium segment), while the Hyundai models that rank highest are the Genesis (midsize premium segment) and Tucson (small segment). Model-level rankings and awards include 2016 model-year vehicles that were all new or redesigned within the past three years.

Other models that rank highest in their segment are the Chevrolet Camaro (midsize segment); Kia Forte (compact segment); and Nissan Maxima (large segment).

Safety Technologies Reign

Among the vast array of technologies available in new vehicles, those that assist with collision avoidance have the highest usage and the highest overall satisfaction. Additionally, they are the technologies owners most want in their next vehicle, according to the study.

Collision avoidance technologies—such as blind spot warning and detection, lane-keeping/centering and back-up camera/warning systems—are collectively part of the collision protection category, which has the highest overall satisfaction among the five groups of technologies included in the study index scores, with a score of 754 on a 1,000-point scale. In contrast, owners are least satisfied with their navigation systems (687).

“For any technology in a vehicle, it’s critical that the owners want it, are aware they have it and know how to use it,” said Kristin Kolodge, executive director of driver interaction & HMI research at J.D. Power. “It is alarming how many technologies consumers have in their vehicle but aren’t using because they don’t know they have them or don’t know how to use them. Both of these knowledge gaps have long-term implications for future demand.”

Back-up camera/warning and blind spot warning and detection are the most often used technologies, with at least three-fourths of owners saying they use the technology every time they drive. Additionally, they are the most in-demand technologies, with 96% of current owners of the technologies saying they want each of the features in their next car.

Other industries beyond automotive are keeping a close eye on in-vehicle technologies. For example, the insurance industry is closely tracking the use of safety-related technologies that, while potentially increasing claims costs when a vehicle is damaged, also help prevent or mitigate collisions and protect occupants when there is an accident. Auto insurers have been slow to add discounts for newer safe driver technologies, but that is beginning to change. Liberty Mutual Insurance offers a vehicle safety discount for teens driving a vehicle equipped with safety features, such as a lane departure warning system; adaptive cruise control; and collision preparation systems.2

“As auto insurers begin to offer discounts for vehicle safety features, this may help raise consumer awareness that they actually have these technologies and the knowledge to use them properly,” said Jessica McGregor, director of the insurance practice at J.D. Power.

The Role of the Dealer

Even if owners are aware they have an in-vehicle technology doesn’t mean they will use it.

Among owners who say they never use a specific technology, 39% indicate they bring another device into their vehicle to replace certain technologies that are already present. Of those who bring in another device, navigation is the feature most often replaced. Furthermore, 57% of owners who bring in another device say they never used the in-vehicle equipment before bringing this outside device into the car to replace the vehicle’s features. Of the 43% who have used it, 56% stop using it within the first month.

“The dealer plays a critical role in whether or not a technology is used,” said Kolodge. “When the dealer takes the time to explain the technology or provide a demonstration, it not only makes the owner aware they have the technology, but also helps them understand how to use it, which means they are more likely to use it, continue to use it and, because they see the value, want it in their next vehicle.”

Among owners who learn how to operate the technologies from their dealer, overall satisfaction is 25-54 points higher, compared with those who learn how to operate the technologies from another source or from prior experience. Technologies that owners say are difficult to use (DTU) put a strain on satisfaction. Across all technologies, there is an average 98-point drop in satisfaction when owners have DTU issues.

DTU problems not only deteriorate satisfaction, but they also affect the vehicle’s quality. Even though it may operate as intended, when a technology is difficult for an owner to use or understand, it is likely to be considered a quality issue. For example, navigation system difficult to use/poor location is the sixth most common problem in the J.D. Power 2016 U.S. Initial Quality StudySM (IQS). Owners who learn how to use their navigation system from the dealer report 2.0 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100) fewer navigation DTU problems than those who do not get a dealer explanation.

“By taking the time to show the technology to the new owner, the dealer can mitigate DTU issues, improving both satisfaction and quality,” said Kolodge. “The navigation system is just one area. If the dealer explains all or many of the technologies to the new owner, it can have a dramatic positive effect on the ownership experience.”

Gap between Premium and Non-Premium Is Narrow

Overall owner satisfaction with new-vehicle technology averages 730. Satisfaction among premium vehicle owners is slightly higher at 734, compared with 730 among non-premium owners.

Overall satisfaction varies greatly by segment. Satisfaction is highest in the large segment (755), followed by the small premium segment (735); compact premium segment (732); midsize premium segment (731); compact segment (727); midsize segment (725); and the small segment (706).

“It’s not just how much technology you have in the vehicle, but how well it’s delivered,” said Kolodge. “The technology’s usability and how well it is integrated into the vehicle are critical—that has to be done right.”

The 2016 U.S. Tech Experience Index (TXI) Study is based on a survey of 17,864 vehicle owners and lessees. Awards are based solely on responses from the 13,269 consumers who purchased or leased a new 2016 model-year vehicle in the previous 90 days that has been considered an all-new or redesigned vehicle within in the past three years. The study was fielded from February through August 2016.

Appreciate 1
1M Tex240.00
      10-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Plainly this survey does not take the audio into account in 2 Series cars.

Other than that ... bravo! I think ...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Most of bmw connected drive services are not available in canada. So, this is crap
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding
Most of bmw connected drive services are not available in canada. So, this is crap
Like what exactly? All my services are functioning fine.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #5
ur31337
Colby, Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 E39 540i Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I'm a client advisor here in the states, perhaps they never signed you up for Electronic Subscriber Agreement? If that isn't activated, you won't have those functions.
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41899.50
      10-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur31337
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. I'm a client advisor here in the states, perhaps they never signed you up for Electronic Subscriber Agreement? If that isn't activated, you won't have those functions.
Exactly what I was thinking
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #7
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ur31337
Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking
Or they just wanted to troll

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #8
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The major technology categories analyzed in the study include collision protection; comfort and convenience; driving assistance; entertainment and connectivity; navigation; and smartphone mirroring.
Wasn't that completely nonexistent until car play just last month? Or are we talking text messages/emails. But give me Android Auto with Waze and I will buy whatever model that comes in next!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #9
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

What's with BMW's hate or at least apathy for android users? Seriously, everything is months or years late compared to Apple support. BMW proprietary tech is great but android support has been abysmal. This is especially surprising given they're a european company where android is proportionately more popular vs. ios than here in the states.

As far as I understand it we still don't know when android auto is coming to their cars.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41899.50
      10-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4
Quote:
Bmw connected NA doesn't work in canada. No connecteddrive store working, no portal like us or other market. I can't login in my remote app now. I called bmw assist, they don't deal with canadian car, dealer doesn't either
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cangenBMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Bmw connected NA doesn't work in canada. No connecteddrive store working, no portal like us or other market. I can't login in my remote app now. I called bmw assist, they don't deal with canadian car, dealer doesn't either
I'm a client advisor in Canada. ConnectedDrive support in Canada is abysmal. Accounts lock for no reason, unable to login to remote app, no connected drive portal, and customers can't even change their own password. If you are having trouble using ConnectedDrive in Canada go straight to your dealer and ask them to sort it out. Canada does not have a Canadian-specific support line for it either. It's a travesty. There needs to be a way for customers to troubleshoot this stuff without getting the run around from BMW Canada and the dealer.a
This man is speaking the truth
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #12
deadlyrhythm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm a client advisor in Canada. ConnectedDrive support in Canada is abysmal. Accounts lock for no reason, unable to login to remote app, no connected drive portal, and customers can't even change their own password. If you are having trouble using ConnectedDrive in Canada go straight to your dealer and ask them to sort it out. Canada does not have a Canadian-specific support line for it either. It's a travesty. There needs to be a way for customers to troubleshoot this stuff without getting the run around from BMW Canada and the dealer.

To illustrate how archaic this system is - Canadian customers can't have two cars on the same ConnectedDrive account, and if they buy a new car they cannot reuse the same login/email. A new account with a unique login name has to be created for every new car sold with ConnectedDrive services.
Un. Real.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #13
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Yeah ... the 4 series won something
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #14
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm a client advisor in Canada. ConnectedDrive support in Canada is abysmal. Accounts lock for no reason, unable to login to remote app, no connected drive portal, and customers can't even change their own password. If you are having trouble using ConnectedDrive in Canada go straight to your dealer and ask them to sort it out. Canada does not have a Canadian-specific support line for it either. It's a travesty. There needs to be a way for customers to troubleshoot this stuff without getting the run around from BMW Canada and the dealer.a
This man is speaking the truth
I went to budd's last year with all 3 of my cards and everything got sorted out out. I can even use my go pro via idrive.

all my stuff works great. no complaints.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #15
cangenBMW
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xDrive

Quote:
I went to budd's last year with all 3 of my cards and everything got sorted out out. I can even use my go pro via idrive.

Good to hear! Like I said, the dealer/service department can usually sort everything out - but their often not the first place people think to go on a subscription type issue like this.

Last edited by cangenBMW; 10-15-2016 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #16
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy
What's with BMW's hate or at least apathy for android users? Seriously, everything is months or years late compared to Apple support. BMW proprietary tech is great but android support has been abysmal. This is especially surprising given they're a european company where android is proportionately more popular vs. ios than here in the states.

As far as I understand it we still don't know when android auto is coming to their cars.
BMW is learning from Apple how to sell a lifestyle via a mediocre product. hehe

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #17
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

BMW CIC/CIC-HIGH i-Drive system is the best on the market, hands down - I've tried them all.
      10-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #18
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good to hear! Like I said, the dealer/service department can usually sort everything out - but their often not the first place people think to go on a subscription type issue like this.
Dealer reprogram my car, now I can't use remote app anymore. Locating car fails everytime. I can't login on another phone or on the idrive in car, telling me incorrect password. What do i do? Calling dealer? The one i bought the car from or any dealer ?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #19
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Saw J.D. power and i thought BMW ranked number 1 in reliability.....oh wait i was wrong.
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #20
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I wish BMW would focus back on being "the ultimate driving machine" rather than being "the ultimate gizmo machine"

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #21
sprintvicky110
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
True.
Appreciate 0