F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Exhibits Potential Future Tech at CES 2017
Extreme Powerhouse

01-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Exhibits Potential Future Tech at CES 2017

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Exhibits Possible Future Tech at CES 2017
COMMENTS

BMW at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2017 in Las Vegas.

Summary:

BMW is shaping the future of mobility and the way we experience it through ongoing development projects and technically revolutionary innovations in automated driving, intelligent connectivity and interior design. At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2017, taking place in Las Vegas on 5 – 8 January 2017, the German premium car maker will present a wide range of new products and services which are set to headline this radical change in the very near future. It will also be revealing a vision of an interior whose architecture and user interface are extensively adapted for fully automated driving on board a vehicle that is seamlessly integrated into the driver’s digital life. The innovations BMW is presenting at the CES show in design, technology and functionality emphasise the company’s leading role over many years – through its ConnectedDrive programme – in the field of connected driving.

BMW’s pioneering advances in the areas of automated driving, intelligent connectivity and control and display systems are closely interconnected. The company offers highly innovative systems and technologies in all these areas. Examples include the driver assistance systems available for the brand’s current model range, the BMW Connected digital mobility companion and intuitive and flexible control and display systems such as the Head-Up Display, BMW iDrive, voice control and BMW gesture control. Such technologies provide an ideal platform for innovations aimed at delivering a futuristic mobility experience defined by hallmark BMW characteristics.

Steady progress towards automated driving is reducing driver stress and offering drivers a new degree of freedom in how they use their time in the car. At the same time, intelligent connectivity between vehicles, drivers and the outside world is creating new scope for efficient, creative and stimulating use of this freed-up time. At the CES 2017 show, BMW will be showcasing the potential of connected mobility with demonstration drives in a prototype based on the new BMW 5 Series Sedan. This will provide an opportunity to experience innovative digital services underpinned by BMW Connected and the flexible Open Mobility Cloud platform. BMW will also present the BMW Connected Window – its vision for an innovative digital touchpoint highlighting the breadth of possible applications for BMW Connected services not only in the car but also in the home. Looking into the future of interior design, the focus will be on innovative display and control technology. The BMW i Inside Future sculpture at the CES show will showcase BMW HoloActive Touch, which marks a new dimension in how drivers select and control vehicle, navigation, infotainment and communication functions.

The future of personalised driving.

Demonstration drives in the BMW 5 Series Sedan-based prototype will shine the spotlight on a personalised, connected driving experience in a highly automated vehicle. A variety of technical modifications to support automated driving, based on the research & development projects of autonomous driving, have been incorporated into the new BMW 5 Series for the purposes of the demonstrations. On specific route segments, drivers can hand over both longitudinal control tasks and lateral control to the assistance systems, which frees them up to concentrate on other activities. The sensor and control technology that makes it possible for drivers not only to delegate acceleration and braking to the vehicle but also to take their hands off the steering wheel for long periods at a stretch is based on a further-refined prototype solution based on the driver assistance systems already fitted in today’s production vehicles. This is another reminder of the high quality and potential of the technology already deployed in current BMW models.

CES 5 Series Connected Mobility

From vision (CES 2016) to product (2017): the BMW Connected personal digital mobility companion.

With ConnectedDrive, BMW was an early pioneer in enabling extensive in-car access to online infotainment and communication functions. In spring 2016, BMW went on to provide a digital platform – in the shape of BMW Connected – which customers can access not only in their BMW but also on a wide range of devices outside the vehicle. This allows mobility planning to be seamlessly integrated into users’ digital lifestyles, supporting them both on the road and in other areas of their daily lives. The concept of BMW Connected and the Open Mobility Cloud was first presented at CES 2016. The market launch in the USA took place soon after, in March 2016. BMW Connected has been available in Europe since August 2016, and China followed suit in the fourth quarter of 2016.

A further system presented by BMW at last year’s CES and likewise brought to market in record-quick time is the research application Remote 3D View. By combining the Surround View driver assistance system with BMW Connected connectivity features, this system allows a three-dimensional view of the vehicle and its surroundings to be transmitted via a mobile data connection to the driver’s smartphone. The service, which allows drivers to keep their eye on their parked vehicle at any time, regardless of their location, will make its production model debut in February 2017 on board the new BMW 5 Series Sedan.

Intelligent connectivity.

BMW Connected turns the vehicle and mobile devices into touchpoints for the Open Mobility Cloud. At CES 2017, BMW will be showcasing digital services that will allow drivers of future automated vehicles to optimise the way they plan their daily lives. One such feature will enable drivers to access wide-ranging information about places or buildings they see along their route. The information can be selected using BMW Augmented Gesture Control – a new form of gesture control – by pointing at a particular building, for example. The connected driving experience will also be enhanced by intelligent voice control. BMW Connected demos will feature a visionary concept of an in-car voice-controlled personal digital assistant that customers are familiar with in other areas of their daily life. The system being presented at CES 2017 is the in-car application of Microsoft’s Cortana. This means that the voice-controlled capabilities already offered by Microsoft Cortana on a home PC could or smartphone in future also be available on board a BMW. For example, BMW Connected can provide a reminder en-route of an upcoming appointment for which no location has yet been fixed. And Cortana can be used to make a suitable restaurant recommendation and reserve a table.

Another service possible with future versions of BMW Connected is delivery of tens of thousands of goods while the customer is on the road. Amazon Prime Now, which is integrated into all the user’s devices (both in and outside the vehicle) via the Open Mobility Cloud, enables goods to be ordered through the app while drivers are on the way to their next destination. The En-Route Delivery service will be presented at CES 2017 in conjunction with Amazon Prime Now.

A further example of this collaboration with Amazon Prime Now is BMW Passenger Mode. Based on the selected route, BMW Connected can tell when the vehicle will switch to automated driving and the driver could have time, say, to use Amazon Prime Video. In Passenger Mode, the vehicle can then adapt to the passengers’ needs in different situations. For instance, when rear-seat passengers start playing a video, the interior lighting is immediately dimmed and the sunblinds closed.

Innovative control and display technologies.

The BMW i Inside Future sculpture at CES 2017 focuses on the opportunities and challenges presented by fully automated driving. What will we be able to do in an interior of the future? What kind of experience will a car journey offer? BMW i Inside Future shows there will be no conflict between personalisation and sharing in the car of the future. It also showcases BMW HoloActive Touch, BMW’s latest take on the future of in-car control and display technology.

BMW HoloActive Touch is the latest chapter in a story that began with BMW iDrive. That system, which was revolutionary when first introduced and was subsequently imitated throughout the automotive industry, was both a substitute for and a complement to conventional switches and buttons.

With the Air Touch system, featured at CES 2016 in the BMW i Vision Future Interaction concept car, BMW presented a panoramic display that can be operated just like a touchscreen – except that there is no actual contact involved. Now this system has been taken a stage further with BMW HoloActive Touch. BMW HoloActive Touch fuses the advantages of the BMW Head-Up Display, BMW gesture control and intuitive touchscreen functionality with revolutionary technology to create a completely new kind of user interface for the vehicle interior of the future. This innovative interface between the driver and vehicle consists of a free-floating virtual display which is projected in the area above the centre console. The system is operated directly by finger movements, while an ultrasound source provides tactile confirmation of the driver’s commands. That said, in neither case is there ever any actual contact between the driver and the user interface.

BMW i Inside Future

BMW Connected Window: a digital touchpoint.

The continuously expanding functionality of BMW Connected is based on the idea that the move towards ever-increasing digitalisation, whether on the move or in the home, is set to promote the extensive yet at the same time precisely personalised link-up of every area of our lives. Using the Open Mobility Cloud, BMW Connected will be seamlessly integrated into multiple digital touchpoints. At CES 2017 BMW will be presenting the BMW Connected Window vision to illustrate the possibilities these developments offer for a personalised and intelligent enhancement of digital lifestyles. The BMW Connected Window integrates every type of information relevant for daily mobility planning. Using the Open Mobility Cloud, this virtual window offers digital functions to support personal daily planning and numerous other aspects of individual lifestyles.

The BMW Connected Window extends BMW Connected’s wide-ranging functionality to include digital life at home. It shows the user – at the relevant time and in the relevant area of the home – what actions may be required for personal mobility planning. Since the system is linked up with BMW Connected, exchanging information and contacts, planning the user’s personal mobility agenda and selecting infotainment functions are possible not just in the vehicle and on a smartphone but also on a “big screen” in the user’s own home. The technology is operated using gesture control, i.e. by intuitive touchscreen-style commands – but without actually touching a screen.

BMW Connected Mobility Window &amp

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
CHE///MIST3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I bet these additions will be really nice to have, if you don't care about actually driving the car. Daily commutes would welcome this. The future !

GM
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Is there an M-Performance version of this steering wheel? Is it for steering? The wheels don't look like they'll turn. Suspension also seems like it would be harsh.

Edit: LOL! I just noticed the broccoli growing under the rear seats.

Appreciate 2
      01-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

That STANCE ! ! !

'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Connected drive is pretty buggy, Samsung owns it. BMW have also Apple CarPlay, and now Microsoft also, with a bit of Amazon also onboard, sounds messy and fragmented.
Appreciate 1
lawgone63.50
      01-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
Levente_CSL
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 csl

glad im not living in the future where this crap will exist. MY M3 CSL i love you i go in my garage now and kiss it
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10504.50
      01-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #7
Fabs///M
Private
Rep
Drives: not a bmw lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente_CSL View Post
glad im not living in the future where this crap will exist. MY M3 CSL i love you i go in my garage now and kiss it
Couldn't agree more :
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
mfstrby
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

So i series will be driven on railways in the future? That will be interesting
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

Those seats look like they were inspired by elementary school lunch rooms.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertels View Post
Those seats look like they were inspired by elementary school lunch rooms.
Mmmm what elementary school did you go to? Those are some fancy lunch table chairs compare to my elementary school ones
Appreciate 1
lawgone63.50
      01-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

They look like the cheap plastic stackable gimmicks to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #12
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

They're gonna put books and vegetables in cars?
Man, the future is gonna suck.
      01-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #13
lovemycar
Rep
Drives: m6grancoup

I had a 1971 Bmw 2002 when I was in college. I like my m235 because it "try" to have the same character. I agree, future sucks!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #14
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker View Post
They're gonna put books and vegetables in cars?
Man, the future is gonna suck.
The more I look at this, the more it looks like it would be a furniture/lounge chair item for an expensive modern house that has a spare concrete room that's next to the temperature controlled wine room.
Appreciate 1
lawgone63.50
      01-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #15
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Bmw: in the near future we wont need seatbelts and airbags bc no cars will crash. You can play ice hockey in your back seat. Meanwhile they dont even have a production car with auto braking.

I just cant even take these displays seriously.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #16
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Available at IKEA soon.

Drive your car to bring new car home and start assemble it.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2017, 12:43 AM   #17
Danyutz
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper

Guys, the shape of this concept makes me think on how the upcoming i5 might look like. The side profiles remind me of "i" design, the sloping windscreen line could also indicate a car positioned in model x's class.

Thoughts on the inside concept, it's fantastic, gotta love the visionary ideas that the guys over BMW pull.

Last edited by Danyutz; 01-05-2017 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 03:48 AM   #18
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

The i thing looks interesting.

Did someone stash their weed under the back seat? Maybe that's why they will have autonomous driving in the future. And what about the antique library books, why don't they just install a freaking record player for your patients vinyl collection, lol

This is exactly why I never went to Art Center College of Design, they will never build this shit in our lifetimes. Especially with Trump's Sectary of State pick the corrupt former CEO of Exxon Mobil for fuck sake.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #19
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Don't Worry...

This is just a preview of the BMW Chia-Pet Bookshelf for Christmas 2017.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #20
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

looks like they got the designer for McCafe to do the interior.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #21
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
BMW i Inside, designed in collaboration with Whole Foods, Ikea, Barnes and Noble and the US Olympic bobsled team
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #22
Levente_CSL
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 csl

those books look very stable when going with this crap. they just fall out. dafuq. and that green carpet lol my dog had one like that
Appreciate 0