F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Are you enjoying your BMW?
European Auto Source

08-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #67
Manivxr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
I don't really get the whole garaged BMW 3/4 series thing. The cars plummet in value all the same. Depreciation is a bitch and its amazing to see how little difference the depreciation is in a 5 year old car with 60k miles vs. a 5 year old car with 20k miles. Might as well drive the shit out of it. Its not some cherry 1980 Cabriolet 911, its a late model 3 series.. Few notches above a Camry
Agree
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #68
Manivxr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
let's just say that if ONE your other car(S) is a Ferrari, then you can have that luxury. but i guess you guys don't realize that a $40k-$60k car is expensive to some people. i'm sure some folks saved for years to afford a new bmw and you guys are telling them to just treat it like an appliance. amazing
There's nothing special about a beemer. Its a run of the mill mass produced german brand which many of us drive as daily drivers. Whether you drive it or not, the car is going to depreciate. So why not enjoy it? Regarding saving up for years and then sticking it in sc garage just don't make no sense to me. Its a car so why not enjoy it and drive it ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #69
Kafkaesque328
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manivxr View Post
There's nothing special about a beemer. Its a run of the mill mass produced german brand which many of us drive as daily drivers. Whether you drive it or not, the car is going to depreciate. So why not enjoy it? Regarding saving up for years and then sticking it in sc garage just don't make no sense to me. Its a car so why not enjoy it and drive it ;-)
Concur.

Its also sad to think of someone's years of hard earned savings being handed over at a BMW dealer to instantly be converted into a mass produced German appliance worth 30% less than you paid for it the second you drive it home. So many better ways to spend years of hard earned savings.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 08-27-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #70
Manivxr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This.

Its also sad to think of someone's years of hard earned savings being handed over at a BMW dealer to instantly be converted into a mass produced German appliance worth 30% less than you paid for it the second you drive it home. So many better ways to spend years of hard earned savings.
Absolutely. Today the weather was great and I took the family out into the country. On way back stumbled on some great country roads and really enjoyed the drive. The drive made me grin 😁. Priceless.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 11:48 PM   #71
jmg
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3, i3 REx

Garage List
Quote:
The fanboys are out in droves... Yes, it is a few notches above a Camry, like it or not. You pay a massive premium for a model with, at this point, middle of the road performance, that generally speaking, new out of the factory creaks and rattles worse than my 85 Prelude I had in high school. Slap a BMW badge on a 320i which is optioned worse out of the box and slower than most economy base line rental cars from the airport Avis and people will pay $36k for a car that shouldn't cost more than about $23k. Same with my car - Sticker on my car is almost $50 grand. Fucking ludicrous for what the car is. So no, the 3 series isn't a big deal, its a step above your run of the mill mid size sedan like the Accord or Camry, like it or not. And I would argue those cars are more reliable and of more solid build quality. I'm on my 2nd F30 and I love the cars but I am also realistic and not blinded by the badge, boys.

I wouldn't drive a Camry because they are bland and boring with almost no focus on performance. However, for $30k and change you can get a loaded Camry V6 that can keep up with (straight line speed wise) a $50k 328i and is likely optioned better and of better build quality than said car and that will blow the doors off a 320i with the special badge on the nose. It just won't impress anyone in the Whole Foods parking lot like a 3 series, except around these parts, the 3 series impresses almost no one. Same with an Accord V6 - besides RWD, blows away a 320i and keeps up with a 328 for about $20k less. Would I drive either of those cars? No, I think the 3 series is a step above (only a step) and worth the premium to me, but not by much and I'm partial to RWD and German styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
+1000

To each their own. At the end of the day it's just another depreciating asset. Might was well enjoy it
Exactly. You don't get a star on your workbook for keeping your 10 year old F30 in the garage, in pristine condition with 30k miles on it. Its still just a 10 year old F30 that will seem basically archaic in 10 years time. But in OP's case, some people don't have the choice but to not drive the cars much. I was speaking more to people who might baby the cars and get all precious about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicdebris48059 View Post
Yeah, I was totally surprised at this guys last sentence myself. A few notches above a Camery!?... Get a Camery and join a Camery forum then!!!!???....lol...
You definitely shouldn't join a Camry forum, since you can't spell Camry.
I get and agree with the main point of your post, I just don't understand the condescension.
Previous: F30 340i M Sport ZTR • F30 328i Sport • Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 03:14 AM   #72
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT

Quote:
There's nothing special about a beemer
Exactly!! Every carmaker known to man makes a good handling four door car with some horses and a manual transmission. There are so many to choose from. BMW is no exception.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #73
kern417
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i

Quote:
really? putting your car in a garage is too much now? jesus.

that's how i enjoy my cars. the same way I enjoyed my volkswagen jetta, and my first car a 2003 chevy malibu. no matter what you may think of what i have, i'll take care of it. well, that at least applies to my car, my lawn, and my wife. but i digress.

oh and to reiterate, the depreciation thing is a moot point. i'm not trying to make money or save money when i buy a car. it's not a business or an investment. i spent the money on a hobby to enjoy it the way i want to. that means driving it when i want, and not driving it when i don't.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 11:18 PM   #74
mbferrari
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 330i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
let's just say that if ONE your other car(S) is a Ferrari, then you can have that luxury. but i guess you guys don't realize that a $40k-$60k car is expensive to some people. i'm sure some folks saved for years to afford a new bmw and you guys are telling them to just treat it like an appliance. amazing
Well I bought my 308QV about 6 years ago for 32k so I actually DO know that the reason I am driving a 330 and not a 340 or M3 is because that isn't in my budget. I saved for years to buy my Ferrari too, so quit making so many assumptions.
      09-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #75
mbferrari
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak102 View Post
agreed!
you guys can bite me. I spent 24 years in the military, and the last 16 of them were in the reserves. I worked a day job 45-50 hours a week, was a Navy Reservist AND started my own company transporting cars so I could save up enough to buy a 30k Ferrari. I have paid more for TWO of my BMW's than I did for my Ferrari so I KNOW how you feel spending this much money on a BMW because I am in the same boat. I just choose to spend my free income on a Ferrari. Many of you guys probably ski, or golf, or go to concerts or do tons of other things with your money that I don't do. I worked my ass off to save enough so I could choose to have a Ferrari.

If you guys want one, the Mondial's can be found in the 20k range right now. Not every Ferrari cost 100k to purchase.

You guys make a LOT of assumptions here...just my .02.

My point about driving a BMW or any car for that matter is that cars NEED to be driven. I try to drive my work truck on the weekends to keep the miles down on my BMW too, but they are cars and I never said people should drive them 20k miles a year, but letting them sit in the garage isn't healthy for them.
      09-29-2017, 11:27 PM   #76
mbferrari
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely. Today the weather was great and I took the family out into the country. On way back stumbled on some great country roads and really enjoyed the drive. The drive made me grin ��. Priceless.
Thank you.
      09-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #77
kern417
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbferrari View Post
you guys can bite me. I spent 24 years in the military, and the last 16 of them were in the reserves. I worked a day job 45-50 hours a week, was a Navy Reservist AND started my own company transporting cars so I could save up enough to buy a 30k Ferrari. I have paid more for TWO of my BMW's than I did for my Ferrari so I KNOW how you feel spending this much money on a BMW because I am in the same boat. I just choose to spend my free income on a Ferrari. Many of you guys probably ski, or golf, or go to concerts or do tons of other things with your money that I don't do. I worked my ass off to save enough so I could choose to have a Ferrari.

If you guys want one, the Mondial's can be found in the 20k range right now. Not every Ferrari cost 100k to purchase.

My point about driving a BMW or any car for that matter is that cars NEED to be driven. I try to drive my work truck on the weekends to keep the miles down on my BMW too, but they are cars and I never said people should drive them 20k miles a year, but letting them sit in the garage isn't healthy for them.

this is how the conversation goes:

"Do you daily drive your car?"

Me: No. I have another car to drive for grocery runs and crappy weather.

"Seriously? Why are you leaving your car in a garage? It's meant to be daily driven! I drive my car 20k a year and it doesn't skip a beat! You guys are letting your cars waste away!"

so who's making the assumptions?

like i said, maybe there is a disconnect between some people but I don't have to treat my car as an appliance (i.e. just another mode of transportation) in order to appreciate it. if that means driving it only putting 5000 miles a year on it, there's apparently a buttload of butthurt people that take offense to that. but i have a car that's barely worth it's yearly insurance payment to beat on. and i'm loving it
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #78
OneLastBMW
Sarcasm while you wait.
Rep
Drives: 2017 F33 B58 xDrive

I have a 440i Convertible. I need my F-150 for days I need to carry something bigger than a canned ham or pull a trailer. I need my motorcycle for days I wear a helmet, it looks silly in the car or truck. The wife's crossover is a better choice when there will be more than two along for the ride. Therefore, the BMW is often in the garage. I don't do that to "preserve" it, it just isn't always the best choice.

What I want to know is how do people live without a pickup truck?
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #79
kazak102
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something with a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbferrari View Post

OK fine. You got me. My new road bike cost me $8500. The other one is probably near $12K after the upgrades. Then there's my TT bike. Hmmmm....come to think of it, these are probably the reasons why my car only has 16k miles after 2 years. On the plus side, I stopped working more than 40hrs a week.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 06:24 PM   #80
Prossx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 335i MSport 6MT

From a recent Forbes article on 3 year old used car deals: 3-Series -- That’s especially true as a three-year-old used car, where a preponderance of off-lease models has dropped a 3 Series’ value by 46.9%, with an average 2014 model going for $24,821.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #81
Calvin36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Thankfully I get to daily drive mine.. but I'm in a lot of traffic and I'm mostly driving city so t isn't spirited Driving. Just stop and go.. under 2k RPM type of driving. At least your car isn't racking up miles!
      09-30-2017, 08:19 PM   #82
bheng89
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

I thoroughly enjoy it when I can! I love the BMW, although a tad bit floaty. my daily commute is about 6 miles a day so no high revving action going on =/.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #83
vel23
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Man I have to say, considering all of what I've been through since I got the car, this past week was the first full week I've had the car and it puts a smile on my face every single time. I catch myself constantly looking back at it when I park and walk away. Melbourne Red is a gorgeous color, never thought I'd own a red car but I can't imagine any other color on it now. The power and delivery is flawless. Unlike any car I've driven. Passing and maneuvering has never been easier. I'm glad I went with the B58 and not the inline 4. It's night and day. A lot of power but something I look forward to controlling.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #84
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastBMW View Post
What I want to know is how do people live without a pickup truck?
We ask to borrow yours when we need it. Or rent one from uhaul for $20 for the day
      10-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #85
Kafkaesque328
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

I used to own a pickup truck, a small 2WD tacoma and I kick myself to this day for selling it. But I can count on 1 hand how many times per year I need a pickup truck.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 12:31 AM   #86
oski
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i

Just purchased a new to me 2014 BMW 435i. I have owned all sorts of cars 86 RX-7, Audi A4 most recently a 2015 Civic Si.

This car is a blast to drive and the build quality is amazing. Can't wait to start modding.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:32 AM   #87
beecee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i coupe m sport

Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by oski View Post
Just purchased a new to me 2014 BMW 435i. I have owned all sorts of cars 86 RX-7, Audi A4 most recently a 2015 Civic Si.

This car is a blast to drive and the build quality is amazing. Can't wait to start modding.
I 2nd that. I find myself wanting to spend more time with my car than my lady! is this life?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #88
vgore
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oski View Post

Exactly, the build quality is amazing. And the quality difference is very pronounced if you are coming from an american built car which includes Honda also.
Appreciate 0