F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Ryanair - a question for pilots
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #23
willjames
Captain
willjames's Avatar
United Kingdom
269
Rep
980
Posts

Drives: F31 330d M Sport Touring Auto
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Dukinfield, Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

Some guy on the radio (from the industry) was saying that most pilots (in his opinion) used it as at 'stepping stone' job, until they have 1500 hrs flying and then move on. If that's true they obviously have retention issues caused by the wrong type of culture. I'm not keen on O leary and wouldn't just choose to fly with them because they are cheap.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #24
Edinburra
Major
Edinburra's Avatar
United Kingdom
324
Rep
1,197
Posts

Drives: Audi TT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postcab View Post
Apparently there is a world shortage of Commercial Pilots. Seems a very murky mess with, I suspect, misinformation being used to cover the real problem.

The FT did report today that Ryanair staff (especially across outstations) have started to use Whatsapp to co-ordinate their campaign to get better conditions and pay.

Could be a long winter of discontent for Mr O'Leary..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postcab View Post
Apparently there is a world shortage of Commercial Pilots. Seems a very murky mess with, I suspect, misinformation being used to cover the real problem.

The FT did report today that Ryanair staff (especially across outstations) have started to use Whatsapp to co-ordinate their campaign to get better conditions and pay.

Could be a long winter of discontent for Mr O'Leary..
Good, I hope that he has had his Ratner Moment ?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #25
Herr Dreier
Second Lieutenant
Germany
161
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: F31 330d Sdrive
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
I used to be really good at Harrier Attack. I'll have a go if they want.

What could possibly go wrong?
Jeez that's going back a bit... was that on the spectrum?

Probably be considered to be very cool these days it being "retro"
Yep was on the Spectrum. Rubber keys and all!
I had it on an Amsterdam 464, which had the built in tape deck!
Classic autocorrect there!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #26
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
2677
Rep
14,251
Posts

Drives: F31 335d/F30 330e/Boxster S
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Dreier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
I used to be really good at Harrier Attack. I'll have a go if they want.

What could possibly go wrong?
Jeez that's going back a bit... was that on the spectrum?

Probably be considered to be very cool these days it being "retro"
Yep was on the Spectrum. Rubber keys and all!
I had it on an Amsterdam 464, which had the built in tape deck!
Classic autocorrect there!
__________________
2013 F31 335d MSport with lots of mods: DMS remap, ACS RS suspension, Alcon brakes...
2016 F30 330e MSport company motor
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #27
GEP77
Captain
147
Rep
706
Posts

Drives: F36 440i MPPSK
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: East Sussex (Just)

iTrader: (0)

Contract pilots do exist however there are a few hurdles that have to be overcome to allow them to fly for an airline.

The first is that they would need a B737NG type rating on their license. They would also have to demonstrate recency.

They would then have to undergone Standard Operating Procedures training and a sim check with Ryanair. In addition to this they would likely have to do check flights with an additional crew member in the flight deck before being signed of by a training Captain.

They would also have to undergo an enhanced disclosure criminal records check.

In order to get their airport issued crew ID pass they would also have to be able to demonstrate a minimum of 5 years documented employment history with references.

All these things together are certainly not insurmountable however do take time - typically several weeks or even more by which time most of Ryanair?s problems are over.
__________________
Out with the old...

... and in with the new
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 03:00 AM   #28
wibbles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
31
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: M135i AT LCI
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I've got an expired Cherokee rating, probably good enough for O'leary....

in a seriousness, I'm behind the pilots taking action, the working conditions from what I'm told and have seen on documentaries, are not good. I have a few friends that are commercial pilots and it's not all fun and games at 30000ft.
__________________
Current: F21 M135i
Previous:
2015 F31 330dX, 2011 F20 120d SE , E90 335i, 2010 Alpine White N55 135i 6MT, 2009 LMB LCI N54 135i - Cobb tuned!, 2010 F10 530d SE, 1986 E30 318i,1981 E21 320i Auto
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #29
rosstin
First Lieutenant
rosstin's Avatar
United Kingdom
98
Rep
317
Posts

Drives: 340i saloon
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

I?ve been to a meeting at the Ryan Air HQ at Dublin airport. Utter utter shithole.

The FD sat on a tatty chair with chunks of foam missing and everyone (FD included) had to supply their own biro?s or pencils. No air con.

It was cost cutting to the extreme.. No surprise whatsoever that even the junior pilots looking for a leg up have decided to revolt.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #30
4WDriver
Private First Class
37
Rep
135
Posts

Drives: F31 LCI 335D M Sport X-Drive
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sussex/Porto

iTrader: (0)

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1506607183
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
JD6826

      09-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #31
320dAsh
Private First Class
44
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: 320d M Sport Touring
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: East Mids

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Haven't a load of pilots moved to competitors recently?

I just don't think there are many qualified people ready to step in?

Great to see a company that wasn't treating its people well getting what they deserve!

Gutting for those on cancelled flights though.
i don't think they move around a lot. I'm pretty sure if they move, they start at the bottom and have to put in the hours to rank up.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 04:06 AM   #32
JD6
Colonel
826
Rep
2,978
Posts

Drives: F30 335d MS+ ACS springs MPSS
Join Date: May 2014
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Now Monarch have failed, surely this is the perfect opportunity for Ryanair to pick up enough pilots to fill the gap?

I notice that the CAA appear to be confident in chartering 30 odd planes to return 110,000 stranded passengers. So there are available pilots out there.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 04:31 AM   #33
DB118D
Lieutenant
90
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: 118d Sport
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Now Monarch have failed, surely this is the perfect opportunity for Ryanair to pick up enough pilots to fill the gap?

I notice that the CAA appear to be confident in chartering 30 odd planes to return 110,000 stranded passengers. So there are available pilots out there.
That was my first thought this morning. I'm sure Ryanair will be moving to snap them up on short term deals.

The CAA charters will be fully staffed by other airlines. Emirates were positioning various planes last night from Middle East to LGW/BHX/MAN. Ryanair obviously don't want to go down the charter route as they probably feel it will cost them far too much (although after the CAA intervention last week, it may not be the case now)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #34
JustChris
Lieutenant General
JustChris's Avatar
United Kingdom
3263
Rep
12,230
Posts

Drives: M2 DCT LBB
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North West UK

iTrader: (0)

What a crazy swing at Monarch, was it £27M profit to £187M debt in a year!?
__________________
M2 - Long Beach Blue - DCT
Mini JCW / X5M50d / 335d / Mini Cooper / M4 / M235i / 520D / X5 / X1 / 520D / 330D / 330i
Petrol 6 - Diesel 7
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #35
37psi
Brigadier General
37psi's Avatar
United Kingdom
536
Rep
3,321
Posts

Drives: F32 - 435d X Drive M Sport AT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (1)

.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #36
lobeydosser
Private First Class
lobeydosser's Avatar
Scotland
45
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 320d auto active suspension
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

According to a report I read, Monarch have an Airbus A320 fleet, whereas Ryanair are all Boeing.
Easyjet, on the other hand, are A320 users, so could employ the Ex-Monarch drivers straight away.
Ryanair would need to retrain them; so it's not an instant answer to Mr O'Leary's little snafu.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 04:38 AM   #37
DB118D
Lieutenant
90
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: 118d Sport
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobeydosser View Post
According to a report I read, Monarch have an Airbus A320 fleet, whereas Ryanair are all Boeing.
Easyjet, on the other hand, are A320 users, so could employ the Ex-Monarch drivers straight away.
Ryanair would need to retrain them; so it's not an instant answer to Mr O'Leary's little snafu.
But Monarch's Airbus fleet are parked up gathering dust.......
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #38
MarkG_M3CP
Supreme Being
MarkG_M3CP's Avatar
United Kingdom
1114
Rep
4,697
Posts

Drives: M3 CP
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Plus, Ryanair charge their pilots for training...



I sincerely hope Ryanair goes out of business one day - it's the worst show of greed (for the boss) at the expense of staff, customers and anyone else really.
__________________
Current: F80 M3 Competition Pack / M135i
Gone: F15 X5 M50d / Saab 9-5 Aero HOT / F30 335d xDrive M Sport / E92 LCI 320d M Sport / E46 320d M Sport Touring / E46 318i Touring
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #39
JD6
Colonel
826
Rep
2,978
Posts

Drives: F30 335d MS+ ACS springs MPSS
Join Date: May 2014
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post
Plus, Ryanair charge their pilots for training...

I sincerely hope Ryanair goes out of business one day - it's the worst show of greed (for the boss) at the expense of staff, customers and anyone else really.
It is the bottom of the barrel. I avoid them wherever possible, but I suppose like others, I have benefited from the price pressure they apply to the better airlines.

That LBC interview suggests that conditions are worse than I realised.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #40
Lobb
Brigadier General
Lobb's Avatar
2480
Rep
3,198
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
What a crazy swing at Monarch, was it £27M profit to £187M debt in a year!?
Too little revenue.

Too high costs.

Withdrew from long haul.

Tried to take on budget carriers.

Management incompetence.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 02:12 AM   #41
Chasdrury
Private First Class
19
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: F31 325d MSport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Leeds

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
But Monarch's Airbus fleet are parked up gathering dust.......
Monarch donít own the jets they are leased
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 04:28 AM   #42
DB118D
Lieutenant
90
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: 118d Sport
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasdrury View Post
Monarch donít own the jets they are leased
So what's to stop Ryanair leasing them short term and taking on Monarch crews on 6 month contracts? Seems to be a win-win solution to me!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:01 AM   #43
MarkG_M3CP
Supreme Being
MarkG_M3CP's Avatar
United Kingdom
1114
Rep
4,697
Posts

Drives: M3 CP
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
So what's to stop Ryanair leasing them short term and taking on Monarch crews on 6 month contracts? Seems to be a win-win solution to me!
I would imagine right now, the Administrators will not allow it; takes time to negotiate with all parties.

No doubt behind of 'plane payments, plus the engines are frequently leased separately, plus the maintenance regime etc...

It will be a nightmare.
__________________
Current: F80 M3 Competition Pack / M135i
Gone: F15 X5 M50d / Saab 9-5 Aero HOT / F30 335d xDrive M Sport / E92 LCI 320d M Sport / E46 320d M Sport Touring / E46 318i Touring
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 06:44 AM   #44
DB118D
Lieutenant
90
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: 118d Sport
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post
I would imagine right now, the Administrators will not allow it; takes time to negotiate with all parties.

No doubt behind of 'plane payments, plus the engines are frequently leased separately, plus the maintenance regime etc...

It will be a nightmare.
Admittedly, it was a very simplistic view from the outside I was taking
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST