F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Hot hatch choices...
GetBMWParts

09-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #23
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by XK140 View Post
Well,that's what I thought firstly but then I thought why not?
I can always wear my tweed flat cap backwards

I do quite like Hondas,an old S2000 could be nice but no room for the dog sadly.
I have both a 435d and turbo S2000
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #24
Alex440
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Don't you think it was done all rednecked up just for a laugh?

At least give him credit for liking a car that actually goes round corners quite well,an ability that is rather under appreciated on that side of the pond.

May just keep the 140,although it really needs 5k on an lsd and suspension mods,which I don't really want to bother with.

I'm only in my 60's,not quite dead yet,so a Golf GTI would be on the boring side for me I'm afraid.
I thought he was pretty funny, seemed completely deliberate to me. Bit repetitive though.

Car looks shit.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #25
JustChris
Lieutenant General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Focus RS?

Video is funny.

Nurrr Burger Ring
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #26
AndyMD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series GT

Just about to make my next purchase and in the last 10 days seen lots of cars including the civic. Overall impressions were the Civic looks like a plastic toy car but a full size version if that makes scene? It just looks wrong from almost every angle. Couldn't fit in it so didn't drive it.

Saw a Merc A45 when looking for a bigger car and the interior just looks cheap, I really can't see where the money is, again couldn't fit in it so didn't drive it.

You will probably hate me for saying this, but I did drive and could just fit in an Audi S3. Bloody hell it's a planted car. 4 wheel drive and 0-60 in under 5 seconds with a fantastic sounding exhaust note. And they are cheap at the moment.

Just leaves me to see if I can fit in a M140. but still too many things niggle me about BMW still, I know only small things but why no Android Auto, why is the options list so long and why are 90% of salesman still look down their noses at you?

Currently learnt a lesson
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #27
Dr Forinor
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 335d Touring

Audi S3 / RS3? Focus RS?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #28
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Quote:
Well,that's what I thought firstly but then I thought why not?
I can always wear my tweed flat cap backwards

I do quite like Hondas,an old S2000 could be nice but no room for the dog sadly.
Leave the wife at home
My thought also, but more eloquently put by yourself.
Appreciate 1
Lobb2484

09-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #29
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

Quote:
I may change the m140i next year.

Now don't laugh, but the new Civic type R was given a top rating by Autocar and other mags and Chris Harris also rates it.

Anyway,I came across this appraisal by a young colonial fellow.He is most eloquent and sophisticated so I am very persuaded.

What do you think?

Try a smaller two seater hatchback like a TT, you won?t regret it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #30
XK140
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMD View Post
Just about to make my next purchase and in the last 10 days seen lots of cars including the civic. Overall impressions were the Civic looks like a plastic toy car but a full size version if that makes scene? It just looks wrong from almost every angle. Couldn't fit in it so didn't drive it.

Saw a Merc A45 when looking for a bigger car and the interior just looks cheap, I really can't see where the money is, again couldn't fit in it so didn't drive it.

You will probably hate me for saying this, but I did drive and could just fit in an Audi S3. Bloody hell it's a planted car. 4 wheel drive and 0-60 in under 5 seconds with a fantastic sounding exhaust note. And they are cheap at the moment.

Just leaves me to see if I can fit in a M140. but still too many things niggle me about BMW still, I know only small things but why no Android Auto, why is the options list so long and why are 90% of salesman still look down their noses at you?
You are correct about the S3,I am familiar with them because daughter has one.
On a country road,especially a wet one,an m140i ,with standard suspension wouldn't see which way it went...can I say that on a BMW forum?

It's a total certainty to me however that the BMW has the best engine in the class....have I redeemed myself now?

The solution to BMW salesmen has been mentioned on here many times,just go to TRL at Berry Heathrow.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2017, 06:08 AM   #31
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01709259633893

We are pleased to offer for sale this stunning JCW which has benefitted from over 5,000 of improvements from quality names such as Lohen, KW, Forge, Ultra, Quaife and Remus. Immaculate condition and low mileage, this is a real showpiece car or potential track day weapon. Not your usual 'stock' JCW! Metallic Thunder Grey, 300HP at 5,700rpm and 435Nm at 2,800rpm! Modifications we are aware of are: Quaife limited slip differential, Forge Motorsport intercooler, Forge Motorsport short shift kit, REMUS cat-back exhaust system with de-cat pipe, 10mm wheel spacers, Ultra Racing front strut brace, KW Variant 1 height adjustable coil overs, remap to 300hp, JCW 'Pro' rear diffuser, JCW key fob cover. Aside from the killer exhaust system, our other favourite feature must be the short-shift kit which feels almost race car like (yet still very usable). This car benefits from the balance of MINI's 3 year new car warranty + breakdown assistance which are valid until September 2019 and understandably will cover any failures which are not associated with the modifications. The car's first service is due at 2 years old (December 2017) or in 7,000 miles. Good news, this is free of charge thanks to the 5 year / 50,000 mile MINI TLC pack which covers all routine servicing costs until December 2020! 2 keys and 2 meticulous private owners. We only sell the highest calibre of cars and this JCW is testament to this - fabulous, clean, unmarked condition inside and out. All our cars are HPI clear, owned by us and prepared for sale to exacting standards. Viewings and demonstrations are welcomed, and are available on request in London. We welcome part exchanges and are happy to arrange nationwide delivery and finance (both HP and PCP arranged). We look forward to hearing from you and welcome any queries or questions., Viewings warmly welcomed, but by APPOINTMENT ONLY! Read more about us at wiselysold.com, 19,950
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #32
XK140
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post

We are pleased to offer for sale this stunning JCW which has benefitted from over 5,000 of improvements from quality names such as Lohen, KW, Forge, Ultra, Quaife and Remus. Immaculate condition and low mileage, this is a real showpiece car or potential track day weapon. Not your usual 'stock' JCW! Metallic Thunder Grey, 300HP at 5,700rpm and 435Nm at 2,800rpm! Modifications we are aware of are: Quaife limited slip differential, Forge Motorsport intercooler, Forge Motorsport short shift kit, REMUS cat-back exhaust system with de-cat pipe, 10mm wheel spacers, Ultra Racing front strut brace, KW Variant 1 height adjustable coil overs, remap to 300hp, JCW 'Pro' rear diffuser, JCW key fob cover. Aside from the killer exhaust system, our other favourite feature must be the short-shift kit which feels almost race car like (yet still very usable). This car benefits from the balance of MINI's 3 year new car warranty + breakdown assistance which are valid until September 2019 and understandably will cover any failures which are not associated with the modifications. The car's first service is due at 2 years old (December 2017) or in 7,000 miles. Good news, this is free of charge thanks to the 5 year / 50,000 mile MINI TLC pack which covers all routine servicing costs until December 2020! 2 keys and 2 meticulous private owners. We only sell the highest calibre of cars and this JCW is testament to this - fabulous, clean, unmarked condition inside and out. All our cars are HPI clear, owned by us and prepared for sale to exacting standards. Viewings and demonstrations are welcomed, and are available on request in London. We welcome part exchanges and are happy to arrange nationwide delivery and finance (both HP and PCP arranged). We look forward to hearing from you and welcome any queries or questions., Viewings warmly welcomed, but by APPOINTMENT ONLY! Read more about us at wiselysold.com, 19,950
Very nice and no doubt exciting to drive but not sure whether I'd want a modified and out of warranty car.
TBH I think we all have our blind spots with cars and Minis generally have never been on my radar...and just as a type R could be said to have an inappropriate image for a sixty something I tend to feel that the same could be said of a Mini JCW.
I really ought to be going for a test drive in a JCW ( and all the other cars!) but nowadays I find it difficult to get motivated to get that involved with car salesmen.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2017, 06:30 AM   #33
bobo13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i M Sport +

M140i >
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 08:44 AM   #34
Sullym6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not got it yet

Quote:

2 owners for a 2year old car would make me concerned.
My boss has jcw and it?s a fun toy but not sure I would want one as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #35
TodmordenLad
TodmordenLad
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport Plus, PPK

I'd go for an M140i, in spite of its looks. Get it in BSM and it hides the worst of it. I've test driven a couple and its very quick and handles okay on stock suspension. Steering is light and numb, of course. Great value for money if you're sensible with options and the last generation RWD 1 series, of course.
The M140i is no looker but the Honda is off the scale - hideous.
I haven't test driven the latest facelifted GTi - gave up asking dealers in London and the SE. VW dealers really are THE worst, IMO. I have test driven a couple of Mk 7 GTi's and as long as you can put up with torque steer and wheel-spin when planting your right foot, they're nice enough. Engine and transmission aren't in the same league as the M140i, however
As others have said all over this forum, the R is a thief magnet and living in London, I wouldn't/couldn't consider one on that basis

EDIT: Have just realised that you've already got the M140i - in which case, I'd go for an R if you've got a garage or a lock-up. The guys at Autocar conclude that its probably the best car in the world!? https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/...t-hatch-battle

Last edited by TodmordenLad; 09-29-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #36
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullym6 View Post
Quote:

2 owners for a 2year old car would make me concerned.
My boss has jcw and it?s a fun toy but not sure I would want one as a daily driver.
It?s probably the dealership +1, don?t think it would be the car for me either but definitely good fun!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #37
Sullym6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not got it yet

It?s says 2 private owners so not dealership owned
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #38
Jack_is_Back
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

New Megane RS out soon, always fancied something French and racy, but never took the plunge...
      09-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #39
JNW1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

FWIW the latest Civic Type R gets a good review in the new copy of EVO (beating the Focus RS and a Leon Cupra 300 in a group test). However, the looks are far too in your face for my liking and for that reason alone I wouldn't buy one; ETTO though....
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #40
XK140
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
FWIW the latest Civic Type R gets a good review in the new copy of EVO (beating the Focus RS and a Leon Cupra 300 in a group test). However, the looks are far too in your face for my liking and for that reason alone I wouldn't buy one; ETTO though....
Thanks,that was exactly the point I was making on starting this thread,which is that all the pundits seem to agree that at the moment it's the best hot hatch/affordable performance car available ...if you can cope with the "youthful" looks!

Anyway I'll sign off this thread with a short clip of the expected sort of backward baseball cap young chavs collecting their new cars...

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #41
nickcuprar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport Step Auto

Quote:
I may change the m140i next year.

Now don't laugh, but the new Civic type R was given a top rating by Autocar and other mags and Chris Harris also rates it.

Anyway,I came across this appraisal by a young colonial fellow.He is most eloquent and sophisticated so I am very persuaded.

What do you think?

Still a better video than Caz?s
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #42
JustChris
Lieutenant General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks,that was exactly the point I was making on starting this thread,which is that all the pundits seem to agree that at the moment it's the best hot hatch/affordable performance car available ...if you can cope with the "youthful" looks!

Anyway I'll sign off this thread with a short clip of the expected sort of backward baseball cap young chavs collecting their new cars...

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #43
TodmordenLad
TodmordenLad
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport Plus, PPK

Quote:
Quote:

This has to be a wind up!? Still better reviews however than the moron's in the baseball hat
      10-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #44
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

How random is that video?Fair play to them though!
Appreciate 0