F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Another Brexit Thread
View Poll Results: If you knew last year what you know now, would your vote be:
Brexit then and still Brexit 31 32.63%
Remain then and still Remain 50 52.63%
Brexit then, but Remain now 7 7.37%
Remain then, but Brexit now 7 7.37%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
Alex440
Lieutenant Colonel
Alex440's Avatar
United Kingdom
719
Rep
1,699
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Another Brexit Thread

I'm genuinely curious to see if there has been much movement in the support for Brexit?

In principle I was in favour most of the reasons for Brexit, but voted remain because I didn't think we had the politicians to handle it. The last few months have made me move from "remain, but only just", to "definitely remain".

This place was definitely pro Brexit, but with some saying it was a marginal decision. Just interested to see if any of those have now moved to just the other side.

I'm not suggesting there should ever be another referendum, or saying anyone made a wrong decision, on either side. Just genuinely curious to see if the nature of the negotiations and the general election has changed anything at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
Alex440
Lieutenant Colonel
Alex440's Avatar
United Kingdom
719
Rep
1,699
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Ps. For this poll and thread to stand a chance of not being shut down or locked, I won't participate in any of the "healthy discussion" it may or may not provoke.

Just going to have the occasional nosey at the poll if anyone chooses to fill it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Watsey
Colonel
United Kingdom
912
Rep
2,904
Posts

Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Herts and Hants, UK

iTrader: (1)

Well, looks like I've cast the first vote !

I was borderline Brexit before the vote, but voted for it, and I am still pretty much in the same position. The more I read about the attitude of the Europeans towards the UK the more my perceptions are that the UK is regarded as a cash cow rather than a business partner. On that basis it's a classic double-edged sword : pay if you stay, pay if you leave.

If the stance of the Europeans moved to a much more conciliatory and mutually business orientated approach, true reform which reflected the rapidly escalating demands for national sovereignty from several countries in the EU bloc, I'd be very inclined to remain.

Based on what I've seen so far, including a very generous financial offer from the UK and a very arrogant response from the other nations, I haven't changed my mind. IMO better a hard deal than being drawn ever-closer into a federalised money pit.
__________________
Current : F31 330sD with Ohlins Road & Track, Bird's ARBs, MPSS, MPPK, Quaife LSD, StopTech BBK.

Previous : E91 330D M Sport; E91 330D SE; E46 320D M Sport Touring; E46 330D M Sport Saloon
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
Watsey
Colonel
United Kingdom
912
Rep
2,904
Posts

Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Herts and Hants, UK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
Ps. For this poll and thread to stand a chance of not being shut down or locked, I won't participate in any of the "healthy discussion" it may or may not provoke.

Just going to have the occasional nosey at the poll if anyone chooses to fill it out.
Man-up Alex
__________________
Current : F31 330sD with Ohlins Road & Track, Bird's ARBs, MPSS, MPPK, Quaife LSD, StopTech BBK.

Previous : E91 330D M Sport; E91 330D SE; E46 320D M Sport Touring; E46 330D M Sport Saloon
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
Alex440
Lieutenant Colonel
Alex440's Avatar
United Kingdom
719
Rep
1,699
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Well, looks like I've cast the first vote !

I was borderline Brexit before the vote, but voted for it, and I am still pretty much in the same position. The more I read about the attitude of the Europeans towards the UK the more my perceptions are that the UK is regarded as a cash cow rather than a business partner. On that basis it's a classic double-edged sword : pay if you stay, pay if you leave.

If the stance of the Europeans moved to a much more conciliatory and mutually business orientated approach, true reform which reflected the rapidly escalating demands for national sovereignty from several countries in the EU bloc, I'd be very inclined to remain.

Based on what I've seen so far, including a very generous financial offer from the UK and a very arrogant response from the other nations, I haven't changed my mind. IMO better a hard deal than being drawn ever-closer into a federalised money pit.
Don't think your vote is showing in the poll?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
Watsey
Colonel
United Kingdom
912
Rep
2,904
Posts

Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Herts and Hants, UK

iTrader: (1)

Hmm, tried again.
__________________
Current : F31 330sD with Ohlins Road & Track, Bird's ARBs, MPSS, MPPK, Quaife LSD, StopTech BBK.

Previous : E91 330D M Sport; E91 330D SE; E46 320D M Sport Touring; E46 330D M Sport Saloon
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
Alex440
Lieutenant Colonel
Alex440's Avatar
United Kingdom
719
Rep
1,699
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Hmm, tried again.
Showing now, wouldn't want the vote to be innacurate.

No vote rigging and no fake news.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
Alex440
Lieutenant Colonel
Alex440's Avatar
United Kingdom
719
Rep
1,699
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Just found a poll on here from before the referendum, the result wasn't pro Brexit as I incorrectly stated. It was 57% remain, 37% Brexit and 6% unsure.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 02:33 AM   #9
Alex440
Lieutenant Colonel
Alex440's Avatar
United Kingdom
719
Rep
1,699
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

So far this poll proves that...........Remain voters get up earlier than Leave voters
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 03:22 AM   #10
mcoops
Lieutenant
mcoops's Avatar
United Kingdom
366
Rep
534
Posts

Drives: F36 430d GC SDrive MSport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Herts.

iTrader: (0)

I was remain and still am. That doesn't mean I want another referendum, just what I'd do if the clock were turned back.

Over recent months there have been lots of comments from members more economically literate than me, making good arguments for why we will be better off outside. I hope they are right.

My concerns were and still are that a) our government will get squashed by the EU machine in negotiations, b) the whole exercise feels like it's unpicking the post-war, anti-nationalist compact, which I think is very sad and possibly dangerous.
__________________
430d GC sDrive MSport // Glacier Silver / Coral Red
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 03:39 AM   #11
454697819
Private First Class
34
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

I don't think we have seen enough development on either side of the fence to really change our positions?

I was and am remain, but, as the will for the ppl, we are leaving, if this proves to be the best thing for the UK I will happily say I was wrong.

And those who wanted to leave haven't seen the advantages they were promised yet to say it worked or otherwise.

Right now there is just a bunch of over paid Muppets arguing over who gets the curtains and who takes the DVDs.

I think given the magnitude of this shift it will be 20 years before we really see the impact of this decision on the country in perspective to the other current world events & climate.
__________________
335d XD Shadow Edition - Mission intergalactic mileage underway
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 04:42 AM   #12
Herr Dreier
Second Lieutenant
Germany
161
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: F31 330d Sdrive
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Agree with comments above. I voted remain before, after seriously considering all options, mainly because of the collaboration with EU institutions (Sciences, etc) rather than any financial reasons. I hate the way that we are treated by the EU, and the negotiations have made this worse. However, for me, this is only just outweighed by the advantages.

Therefore, I'm still just on the remain side of the fence for my original reasons, albeit happy to be proved wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 04:47 AM   #13
JD6
Colonel
819
Rep
2,964
Posts

Drives: F30 335d MS+ ACS springs MPSS
Join Date: May 2014
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
So far this poll proves that...........Remain voters get up earlier than Leave voters
I think it's just taken the Brexit voters a bit longer to understand how to vote
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 04:47 AM   #14
Lobb
Brigadier General
Lobb's Avatar
2465
Rep
3,183
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

This may have some academic interest, but of course by 29.03.2019 we will have left the EU. Given the EU's intransigence, it may well be before then!
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 05:32 AM   #15
mcoops
Lieutenant
mcoops's Avatar
United Kingdom
366
Rep
534
Posts

Drives: F36 430d GC SDrive MSport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Herts.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
This may have some academic interest, but of course by 29.03.2019 we will have left the EU. Given the EU's intransigence, it may well be before then!
I may be wrong, but have you mentioned this before?
__________________
430d GC sDrive MSport // Glacier Silver / Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 06:39 AM   #16
Lobb
Brigadier General
Lobb's Avatar
2465
Rep
3,183
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
I may be wrong, but have you mentioned this before?
I don't recall.....
















Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 06:42 AM   #17
rosstin
First Lieutenant
rosstin's Avatar
United Kingdom
98
Rep
314
Posts

Drives: 340i saloon
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

IMO relationship irrecoverably damaged, so I?m remain then, brexit now (basically we?ve f?d ourselves, so have no choice but to follow through)

Also if there was any sort of about turn, the loony brigade would tear the country apart.

Now, if we could wind back the clock to last year, I would still be a very firm remain.
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2017, 06:45 AM   #18
DB118D
Lieutenant
90
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: 118d Sport
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

I've gone with remain --> brexit

Only because it's happening and pi$$ing and whining about it won't change that fact
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 06:58 AM   #19
AndyEssex330d
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
203
Rep
594
Posts

Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Essex UK

iTrader: (0)

I voted remain - but regret it. EU's dealing with the negotiations and constant whining from Brussels has proved to me that we were in fact right to leave them. I am eager and excited to leave now, I think it will be good for us and good for the remaining 27 who will now make sure the EU is fairer for them.
__________________
Current: 2017 Ford Focus RS, 2017 Ford KUGA ST-Line, 2016 Nissan Qashqai N-Connecta, 2004 Honda CBR 600 RR.
Previous: 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 Focus ST3's, 2013 BMW 125d M sport, 2014 BMW 330d M Sport.
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #20
JNW1
Lieutenant Colonel
441
Rep
1,539
Posts

Drives: F31 335d
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

I changed my mind several times in the run-up to the vote. Concern about the possible economic impact very nearly had me as a Remainer but in the end my fundamental dislike of the workings of the EU - together with the fact I don't share their vision for a United States of Europe - pushed me to vote Brexit.

I can't say I'm overjoyed at the way things have gone since and personally I don't think the general election fiasco has helped as effectively it gave more power and influence to people who want to obstruct and frustrate the Brexit process. However, if I could wind the clock back I don't think I'd alter the way I voted.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #21
Canary_Yellow
Captain
153
Rep
614
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M Sport + LCI MG
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
I've gone with remain --> brexit

Only because it's happening and pi$$ing and whining about it won't change that fact
Isn't the question a hypothetical what would you do if you could go back in time? So the fact that it is actually happening is irrelevant to the question, so I think based on what you say in your post, you should have voted remain > remain
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #22
Alex440
Lieutenant Colonel
Alex440's Avatar
United Kingdom
719
Rep
1,699
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

So, as far as this forum is concerned, nothing has really changed. Most people would vote the same.

And an equal number, 3 up to now, have changed in both directions.

As each day goes by, my personal decision gets firmer. Watching Theresa May yesterday and then imagining her leading our negotiations fills me with dread. Our Brexit future is still full of "hope" and "optimism". Hope and optimism are not strategies, more emotions.

Last edited by Alex440; 10-05-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST