F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Key Clone Process Caught on Ring Camera (UK)
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
pokerface
Colonel
pokerface's Avatar
Canada
173
Rep
2,072
Posts

Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

BMW Key Clone Process Caught on Ring Camera (UK)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com


Synopsis:

One person by the car door, an accomplice is at the perimeter house trying to capture the signal from the key hoping to get lucky with the key right behind the front door.
__________________
F80 M3 STOCK: F25 X3 N20 tunerwerks:

Last edited by pokerface; 11-28-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
tjlees
Major
England
264
Rep
1,221
Posts

Drives: F30 Chav Mobile
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Precisely the reason I've not got comfort access.

As I understand it BMW and possibly insurers are putting on/insisting that a cat 5 tracker is installed on X5s etc.

I've got a cat 6 that does geo and speed fencing - great for checking up on the service test run
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1431.50

      11-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
rohitsja
MUHAAHAA
rohitsja's Avatar
175
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (2)

I saw a video earlier this morning about a Mercedes being stolen using similar technique from right outside the owner's house. Pretty shocked, needless to say !!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
DETRoadster
Major
DETRoadster's Avatar
1737
Rep
1,324
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

So you're smart enough to figure out how to jack the key code and too stupid to realize the front doorbell is a camera?
Appreciate 3
wdb699.00
pokerface173.00

      11-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
MalibuBimmer's Avatar
United_States
956
Rep
1,730
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Santa Monica Mountains, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [5.00]
Best device to avoid these thefts is a locked garage.
__________________
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 2
m5james233.50
BMWM5NYC162.50

      11-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Major General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3070
Rep
9,019
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
Best device to avoid these thefts is a locked garage.
Or there are some containers that doesn't emit frequencies.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC162.50

      11-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
Viffermike
Colonel
Viffermike's Avatar
United_States
1432
Rep
2,599
Posts

Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Big D

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Or there are some containers that doesn't emit frequencies.
Correct: a Faraday cage, essentially. Anything surrounded in metal that can block a radio signal. Even your microwave oven works well enough.

Some of us don't have the convenience of a "locked garage" (nor do we want one) because we don't want, or can't have, a full house. For instance, I own a condo in a building with assigned gated parking. Three times in the past two years, thieves have used repeater transponders to capture passive keyless entry codes while the keys sat in their owners' condos. I know of at least two cases personally where passive keyless entry cars were stolen right out of the driveway of someone's home -- one of whom had bought the car earlier that day. I'm sure they essentially happened like the Ring video demonstrates.

"Comfort Access" applies as much to the thief as the owner. Personally, that I ordered my two most recent cars without it (BMW and Porsche) has saved me from theft at least three times because cars around me were broken into or taken, while mine weren't even touched.

Makes me wonder how many car models aren't available without passive keyless entry ... personally, until it becomes more secure, I won't consider a car that I can't order without it.
__________________
--Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car.--
--Helmets are for closers.--
<<Current: "Blackened" '18 NBM Porsche 718 Cayman ... For sale: "Blackened" MG '15 228i M Sport w/aFe filter/scoop, Hertz drivers, P3Cars multigauge. PM if interested ... >>
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Major General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3070
Rep
9,019
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Correct: a Faraday cage, essentially. Anything surrounded in metal that can block a radio signal. Even your microwave oven works well enough.

Some of us don't have the convenience of a "locked garage" (nor do we want one) because we don't want, or can't have, a full house. For instance, I own a condo in a building with assigned gated parking. Three times in the past two years, thieves have used repeater transponders to capture passive keyless entry codes while the keys sat in their owners' condos. I know of at least two cases personally where passive keyless entry cars were stolen right out of the driveway of someone's home -- one of whom had bought the car earlier that day. I'm sure they essentially happened like the Ring video demonstrates.

"Comfort Access" applies as much to the thief as the owner. Personally, that I ordered my two most recent cars without it (BMW and Porsche) has saved me from theft at least three times because cars around me were broken into or taken, while mine weren't even touched.

Makes me wonder how many car models aren't available without passive keyless entry ... personally, until it becomes more secure, I won't consider a car that I can't order without it.
it's funny that Porsche get criticized for making you tick every option for stuff that comes standard in a lot of other cars, and keyless entry is one of them. I believe with all entry level Porsches, keyless only comes with Premium Package Plus or could be a standalone option.

Sadly, with BMW M cars today, comfort access is standard.


The good news is, this wave of car theft hasn't hit US yet. Perhaps its because we don't live within driving distance of eastern Europe where many of these cars' final destination is or that these cars aren't that expensive for thieves to even care about boosting cars. Moving cars in large volumes to Central and South America is near impossible thanks to the terrible roads in that area and the only way out of the country is in a container which isn't cheap, and certainly not worth it for a $50k used M3.

Most car thefts here in the US are related to its use in committing another crime. So often it's the old Japanese compacts and family cars that's getting stolen. They then use it for a drive by shooting or robbery and then ditch it. Often stolen cars are found within the same metro area where they were taken.
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 1
P1et3164.00

      11-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
Viffermike's Avatar
United_States
1432
Rep
2,599
Posts

Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Big D

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
The good news is, this wave of car theft hasn't hit US yet. Perhaps its because we don't live within driving distance of eastern Europe where many of these cars' final destination is or that these cars aren't that expensive for thieves to even care about boosting cars. Moving cars in large volumes to Central and South America is near impossible thanks to the terrible roads in that area and the only way out of the country is in a container which isn't cheap, and certainly not worth it for a $50k used M3.

Most car thefts here in the US are related to its use in committing another crime. So often it's the old Japanese compacts and family cars that's getting stolen. They then use it for a drive by shooting or robbery and then ditch it. Often stolen cars are found within the same metro area where they were taken.
Ummm, yes it has. I live in Dallas, and because of the thefts in my condo building I've had discussions with police about it, both on duty and off. This type of theft is somewhat common here, but the thefts are executed for different reasons. Accessing a passive keyless entry car here is frequently done to steal what's inside the car, not the car itself. You're correct: it's harder to get a stolen car south of the border. But it's also easier to sell stolen property that, in some cases, can be worth thousands just stuffed into your pocket.

The key (pun intended) for thieves is getting the code that the fob emits within range of the receiver on the car itself. Thieves can't do one, then the other -- it must be done simultaneously. That's why this kind of theft isn't common in, say, mall parking lots, yet is far more common in Europe where garages are far less prevalent -- another factor in the wave there, I feel.
__________________
--Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car.--
--Helmets are for closers.--
<<Current: "Blackened" '18 NBM Porsche 718 Cayman ... For sale: "Blackened" MG '15 228i M Sport w/aFe filter/scoop, Hertz drivers, P3Cars multigauge. PM if interested ... >>
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Major General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3070
Rep
9,019
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Ummm, yes it has. I live in Dallas, and because of the thefts in my condo building I've had discussions with police about it, both on duty and off. This type of theft is somewhat common here, but the thefts are executed for different reasons. Accessing a passive keyless entry car here is frequently done to steal what's inside the car, not the car itself. You're correct: it's harder to get a stolen car south of the border. But it's also easier to sell stolen property that, in some cases, can be worth thousands just stuffed into your pocket.

The key (pun intended) for thieves is getting the code that the fob emits within range of the receiver on the car itself. Thieves can't do one, then the other -- it must be done simultaneously. That's why this kind of theft isn't common in, say, mall parking lots, yet is far more common in Europe where garages are far less prevalent -- another factor in the wave there, I feel.
that's correct too, and accessing the contents of the car is the most common form of illegal entry into cars here in my city too.

So I park my X5 outside. I keep nothing in it of any value (expect my 30 lb child seat). Frankly, I'd prefer they access it with keyless code readers than smashing my window. They can also help themselves to the 50 pennies I have stuffed in the glovebox while they're at it.
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1431.50
BMWM5NYC162.50

      11-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #11
SCOTT26
Major General
SCOTT26's Avatar
2881
Rep
5,101
Posts

Drives: Frozen Dark Red First Edition
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

They look Eastern European. I hear that is an issue of UK car thefts.
Know some from BMW UK that have been targeted.
I have a lead lined secure box. Difficult to get a signal.
__________________
Step 1.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
aerostar
Captain
348
Rep
926
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

That's why EU News agencies have been suggesting you sleep with your keys in your anus.

To block the frequencies.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #13
Flying Ace
Major General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3070
Rep
9,019
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

You need a European Trump to build a European wall at the Vistula River.
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
Maynard
Major
United_States
603
Rep
1,227
Posts

Drives: 2016 228iX
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Certainly not just an 'over there' phenomenon. I saw a recent documentary about car thefts around NJ, convenient to that massive shipping port. I was gratified that they are almost exclusively snagging sport utes, but really angered that it is so open in the foreign country and nothing being done to stop it. They can apparently sell hot Utes for several thousand dollars to people sho ship them over by the Conex full, even working off of a 'wanted list' of types that are in demand (LandRovers were top, but also the BMW and Merc utes). They show a field-lot in African destination with hundreds of 'used' (stolen) high end sport utes - somebody is buying new keys, parts, etc. for these, and the manufacturers and governments should be able to stop it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #15
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
GuidoK's Avatar
854
Rep
1,846
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tinkering in the garage

iTrader: (0)

This technique to steal cars has been used for quite a few years now. This is certainly not new. It's done with quite simple equipment (basically a directional antenna and amplifier).

Also keeping your key safe in a faraday cage isnt safe as the coding system has already been cracked in 2012/2013.
4 years ago there was a big lawsuit between volkswagen and a 3 man team of security specialists (from the university of Nijmegen and Birmingham) because they showed the algorithm wasnt safe at all.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ing-codes-cars
So this is about actually cracking the code, not spoofing the key. (for that you need about $150,-on equipment)
VW is one of those companies that rather sues people to keep them quiet instead of learning from their mistakes. But everyone knows that if 3 university schooled scientists can crack that code, a 16 year old russian kid can do it too on a sunday afternoon....

Its the reason why I also opted out for keyless go on my volvo. That raised some eyebrows with the salesman
__________________
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch

Last edited by GuidoK; 11-29-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #16
MParallel
Mr. OEM
MParallel's Avatar
Netherlands
130
Rep
418
Posts

Drives: '98 AW M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Sometimes progress isn't really progress.

My ancient keyfob is just fine and only transmits a radio signal when a button is pressed.

I also like the process of unlocking, getting into the car and sticking a key in an ignition to start.

Ok I'm just old.
__________________
'98 BMW M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST