F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > No BMW in C&D 10 Best
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #67
jeffc83
Major
276
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Philly Burbs, PA

iTrader: (0)

Cadillac almost got it right with their Standard Collection, Luxury, Premium, Platinum, V-Sport and V variants. The 12+ variants per model is a common trend now and I understand Cadillac wouldn't be the best example but we're seeing a ton of "experimenting" going on within the industry. Do I have to bring up that leaf Nismo?
__________________
Originally Posted by jmg

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #68
jeffc83
Major
276
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Philly Burbs, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
Yes, this is why it misses the list when the product is actually evaluated. You can't just Market it to be fun to drive. It has to actually be fun to drive.
And even with run-craps. okay without run-craps, it's fun as hell to drive! The best? Not even close but fun? Hell yeah!
__________________
Originally Posted by jmg

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #69
HighlandPete
Major General
1496
Rep
9,007
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
I just don't like the way they have been heading with regard to the Ultimate Driving Machine that they still tout.
Tag lines are a marketing ploy, exercise, or what ever we want to see it as.

"Ultimate" is some claim and hard to quantify anyway. How do we define the qualities that make any particular car the best, the ultimate?

I'm driving a 'soft bellied' F11 wagon, too big, too heavy, not as driver focused as the lighter smaller 5-series of the past.

Strange as it may seem to say, after owning/driving early generation 5-series and the E39 (stated as "so close to perfect", viewed as the pinnacle of BMW models???), the F11 is the best BMW I've owned.

I've obviously lost the plot.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #70
HighlandPete
Major General
1496
Rep
9,007
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
I am not saying they should not evolve. Not at all. Continue to push forward, but nurture the relationship you have built with the customers and magazines who have helped build the relationship that provides a significant value to the company. It is smart business to do so.
Another serious question. What is it that BMW would have to provide to make a 3-series an enthusiast's model? I can't see it simply being a stock offering to the wider market, as mass users have different requirements these days, than back in the 1980's or 90's.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #71
jeffc83
Major
276
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Philly Burbs, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Tag lines are a marketing ploy, exercise, or what ever we want to see it as.

"Ultimate" is some claim and hard to quantify anyway. How do we define the qualities that make any particular car the best, the ultimate?

I'm driving a 'soft bellied' F11 wagon, too big, too heavy, not as driver focused as the lighter smaller 5-series of the past.

Strange as it may seem to say, after owning/driving early generation 5-series and the E39 (stated as "so close to perfect", viewed as the pinnacle of BMW models???), the F11 is the best BMW I've owned.

I've obviously lost the plot.
Sorry Pete but you and I own a BMW, or in MB words, NOTHING! Remember, "it's the best or nothing"! Okay, a soft bellied nothing then
__________________
Originally Posted by jmg

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #72
LMK5
First Lieutenant
61
Rep
327
Posts

Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Another serious question. What is it that BMW would have to provide to make a 3-series an enthusiast's model? I can't see it simply being a stock offering to the wider market, as mass users have different requirements these days, than back in the 1980's or 90's.
A good start would be to tighten up the suspension and say farewell to the RFT obsession.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #73
metallicpea
Major
metallicpea's Avatar
358
Rep
1,046
Posts

Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (1)

BTW Gentlemen, I love this dialog. Glad to have a level headed, open, honest and educated discussion on a topic we are all interested in.
__________________
2002 325i sport - sold
2009 135i M sport - sold
2009 550i M sport - sold
2005 M3 6MT Jet Black w/Cinnamon
2016 F30 320i ZSP
Appreciate 3
      12-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #74
HighlandPete
Major General
1496
Rep
9,007
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
A good start would be to tighten up the suspension and say farewell to the RFT obsession.
Michelin Pilot Super Sport, (as fitted to some models) and M performance suspension. Sorted?

All there for fitting already.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #75
jeffc83
Major
276
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Philly Burbs, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Michelin Pilot Super Sport, (as fitted to some models) and M performance suspension. Sorted?

All there for fitting already.
Live"D" and learn"ED" with Xdrive
__________________
Originally Posted by jmg

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #76
HighlandPete
Major General
1496
Rep
9,007
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
Sorry Pete but you and I own a BMW, or in MB words, NOTHING! Remember, "it's the best or nothing"! Okay, a soft bellied nothing then
I was driving a BMW 218d 2-series (Front Wheel Drive) Gran Tourer last week for four days. Now that does test a BMW enthusiast. Made my 5-series feel so "BMW", getting back into it. A bit more than "Nothing!"
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #77
jeffc83
Major
276
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Philly Burbs, PA

iTrader: (0)

The newe(er) G20 interior shots have somehow pulled me in so we shall see how it rides! The center stack cleaned up nicely and it appears the screen is integrated with the dash once again! Thinking too positively here I need to calm down

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...-g20-revealed/
__________________
Originally Posted by jmg

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #78
metallicpea
Major
metallicpea's Avatar
358
Rep
1,046
Posts

Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Another serious question. What is it that BMW would have to provide to make a 3-series an enthusiast's model? I can't see it simply being a stock offering to the wider market, as mass users have different requirements these days, than back in the 1980's or 90's.
To quote myself from earlier:

I think smaller basic cars, now the 1, 2 and possibly 3 series, RWD with an affordable ZSP package tuned to non run flats, with a little pep and driver focused steering and suspension feel is all that is required to keep the enthusiast happy.

I think my 704 suspension now on non runflats is quite good for me. So the only thing my F30 is missing at this point is the steering.

Maybe I am a pessimist, but I saw when they added the ZSP back that this car might be the last gasp, so ordered one up. If I were more optimistic, I would say this was BMW's attempt to reach out it's hand to the enthusiast. Anyway, I made the handshake and I am pleased I did.
__________________
2002 325i sport - sold
2009 135i M sport - sold
2009 550i M sport - sold
2005 M3 6MT Jet Black w/Cinnamon
2016 F30 320i ZSP
Appreciate 2
      12-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #79
jeffc83
Major
276
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Philly Burbs, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I was driving a BMW 218d 2-series (Front Wheel Drive) Gran Tourer last week for four days. Now that does test a BMW enthusiast. Made my 5-series feel so "BMW", getting back into it. A bit more than "Nothing!"
My condolences; I hope you didn't have to suffer long in the FWD version of the nothing of nothings! Again, my deepest condolences! All joking aside, that would push me over regardless of how much they tout that horn! How was the torque steer if I dare ask? You know what? Shouldn't have asked!
__________________
Originally Posted by jmg

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #80
jeffc83
Major
276
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Philly Burbs, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
To quote myself from earlier:

I think smaller basic cars, now the 1, 2 and possibly 3 series, RWD with an affordable ZSP package tuned to non run flats, with a little pep and driver focused steering and suspension feel is all that is required to keep the enthusiast happy.
You said it right there! That's all one really needs unless this so-called enthusiast wants 4-doors Next round I'll just have to go smaller...just have this feeling if I pushed for an M2, I'd end up wrecked somewhere as that back end kicked out quite nicely without all that extra power! M235i would do me well in Estoril Blue
__________________
Originally Posted by jmg

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #81
metallicpea
Major
metallicpea's Avatar
358
Rep
1,046
Posts

Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
You said it right there! That's all one really needs unless this so-called enthusiast wants 4-doors Next round I'll just have to go smaller...just have this feeling if I pushed for an M2, I'd end up wrecked somewhere as that back end kicked out quite nicely without all that extra power! M235i would do me well in Estoril Blue
I was hoping my '09 135i M sport was this car, but it was not. Have heard the new generation is much better, but yet to drive one. I also decided to go back to 4 doors. That China 1 series, or a 2 series GC looks great and is a good size, but FWD - hell no!
__________________
2002 325i sport - sold
2009 135i M sport - sold
2009 550i M sport - sold
2005 M3 6MT Jet Black w/Cinnamon
2016 F30 320i ZSP
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #82
jeffc83
Major
276
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Philly Burbs, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
I was hoping my '09 135i M sport was this car, but it was not. Have heard the new generation is much better, but yet to drive one. I also decided to go back to 4 doors. That China 1 series, or a 2 series GC looks great and is a good size, but FWD - hell no!
The first time I heard that they were FWD, I thought the god damn world was coming to an end! I kept thinking "who's next? Porsche? Ferrari? LOL
__________________
Originally Posted by jmg

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #83
HighlandPete
Major General
1496
Rep
9,007
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
My condolences; I hope you didn't have to suffer long in the FWD version of the nothing of nothings! Again, my deepest condolences! All joking aside, that would push me over regardless of how much they tout that horn! How was the torque steer if I dare ask? You know what? Shouldn't have asked!
Drove it for about 300 miles.

Strange thing about the Gran Tourer, although not my type of vehicle by any means, I get it and see where it fits in today's market.

Even the humble 218d engine made it scrabble for grip on a brisk acceleration to get around a bus. Oh, and the ultra light EPS steering, don't want to overwork the mothers.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #84
jeffc83
Major
276
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Philly Burbs, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
My condolences; I hope you didn't have to suffer long in the FWD version of the nothing of nothings! Again, my deepest condolences! All joking aside, that would push me over regardless of how much they tout that horn! How was the torque steer if I dare ask? You know what? Shouldn't have asked!
Drove it for about 300 miles.

Strange thing about the Gran Tourer, although not my type of vehicle by any means, I get it and see where it fits in today's market.

Even the humble 218d engine made it scrabble for grip on a brisk acceleration to get around a bus. Oh, and the ultra light EPS steering, don't want to overwork the mothers.
I don't know why but I just pictured that LOL
__________________
Originally Posted by jmg

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #85
HighlandPete
Major General
1496
Rep
9,007
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
To quote myself from earlier:

I think smaller basic cars, now the 1, 2 and possibly 3 series, RWD with an affordable ZSP package tuned to non run flats, with a little pep and driver focused steering and suspension feel is all that is required to keep the enthusiast happy.
Not really a lot is it, particularly in the smaller chassis? Cut back on some of the luxury goods, fit HPAS and still keep the efficiency ratings.

Wonder what volume BMW would sell if they made a specific 'cut back' model, call it an 'S' or something similar.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #86
tex2670
Assistant to the Traveling Secretary
tex2670's Avatar
United_States
724
Rep
2,203
Posts

Drives: '14 328xi Sport Line
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Good points yes, but what you're saying is BMW is quite OK with lots of "show" with just a little "go."
BMW has made a conscious decision that more mass appeal and pulling sales away from MB, etc, is more important than remaining true to the enthusiast driver. If you think that translates to "lots of show with a little go", then so be it. I did not say that at all.
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #87
tex2670
Assistant to the Traveling Secretary
tex2670's Avatar
United_States
724
Rep
2,203
Posts

Drives: '14 328xi Sport Line
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Are the M cars not BMW's nod to the enthusiast market?
Why should $80K be the minimum entry price for an enthusiast? I would argue that the 2-Series is the nod to the enthusiast. Back to the OP, C&D agreed last year, but either no longer agrees, or someone else has leapfrogged ahead.
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #88
cooticooti16
Private First Class
cooticooti16's Avatar
7
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: Lexus
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
I just don't like the way they have been heading with regard to the Ultimate Driving Machine that they still tout.
Tag lines are a marketing ploy, exercise, or what ever we want to see it as.

"Ultimate" is some claim and hard to quantify anyway. How do we define the qualities that make any particular car the best, the ultimate?

I'm driving a 'soft bellied' F11 wagon, too big, too heavy, not as driver focused as the lighter smaller 5-series of the past.

Strange as it may seem to say, after owning/driving early generation 5-series and the E39 (stated as "so close to perfect", viewed as the pinnacle of BMW models???), the F11 is the best BMW I've owned.

I've obviously lost the plot.
Blasphemy!!!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST