F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > E39 M5, historically the best?
Extreme Power House

12-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #23
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The E60 certainly looks too bulbous and aside from the pre-LCI E65, I'd say it was the only questionable design from Bangle.

With that being said, the E60 remains "modern" even today both inside and out. It's a car BMW could put in showrooms tomorrow and it wouldn't look that dated.

The E39 on the other hand? It clearly harkens back to a different era. It's a beautiful and timeless design, yet does not look "modern" in the way the E60 does, especially from inside. Those pre-Bangle BMWs had absolutely atrocious interior material quality.
I certainly agree the e60 M5 looks "newer".

But, interior? Really? I'd say the e60 has BMW's second worst interior ever (the worst being the e36). The e39 on the other hand, especially in M5 guise, is pretty outstanding. Purposeful, driver orientated, high quality materials, easy to use quickly, no fluff. The e60's is ugly, not driver oriented, requires digging through menus for functionality that used to be quickly accessed via buttons, has less useful gauges, and you're saddled with iDrive in the center stack. In terms of materials, the e39 M5 came with alcantara headliner/pillars as standard whereas it was an optional upsell on the e60. Despite the e60 being a significantly larger exterior size, in M guise (with M5 seats, which are stupidly thick on the e60) the e39 has significantly more passenger space (even more so with the euro dash). Mostly, though, the e60 interior is just goofy/shitty looking, imo.

Or, by quality, do you mean longevity? If so, I think you're basing your statement on neglected/abused cars. With a basic level of car (cleaning once a year, not smoking in the car, not rubbing rings on trim pieces), they're pretty bomb proof. E.g. My best friends M5 and my M5, both closer to 200,000 miles than 100,000 miles. Original parts, cleaned occasionally. Nothing replaced, the cars just aren't abused.

His:

Mine:

Attached Images

Last edited by Obioban; 12-29-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #24
Germanauto
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

^My point is that I can't imagine those E39 or E46 interiors in a BMW showroom today, whereas an E60 could still hold it's own. The buttons, switchgear, materials, leather, iDrive, etc. are all more similar to today's cars than the E39's.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #25
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
^My point is that I can't imagine those E39 or E46 interiors in a BMW showroom today, whereas an E60 could still hold it's own. The buttons, switchgear, materials, leather, iDrive, etc. are all more similar to today's cars than the E39's.
Iím not sure that was clearly conveyed by, ďThose pre-Bangle BMWs had absolutely atrocious interior material quality.Ē

I donít know that I agree with that statement either, though.

F10 went back to 4 gauges, lost the idrive hunp, made the center stack driver oriented again, added buttons back for functions instead of making you dig through menus, and went back to not feeling like shitty materials inside/looking like itís made by fisher price...

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:04 PM   #26
Germanauto
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

^LOL the E39 definitely looks 20 yrs old from inside.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:48 PM   #27
maniz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I'd say the e60 has BMW's second worst interior ever (the worst being the e36). The e39 on the other hand, especially in M5 guise, is pretty outstanding. Purposeful, driver orientated, high quality materials, easy to use quickly, no fluff. The e60's is ugly, not driver oriented, requires digging through menus for functionality that used to be quickly accessed via buttons, has less useful gauges, and you're saddled with iDrive in the center stack.
Aptly put. Couldn't agree more. A comparison of E39 and E60 design, both inside and out, is an exercise in head-scratchology. The former looks graceful and understated, EXACTLY what an M5 always has been, while the latter is cartoonish and carries an aura of pre-pubescent shenanigans. It is as though the entire E39 design team quit in protest when the E60 vision was laid out by the brass. And the latter eventually visited each one at home with their tails between their legs, apologized profusely, and re-hired them in time for the F10 design.

If one were to park all generations of the M5 in the correct sequence of release, it is easy to spot the odd one out, especially when front/back/sides/interior are all compared. Just see below.

Timeless design evolves while staying true to its genealogy. There must always be logical progression from one generation to the next. The E60 stayed true to a genealogy, I just can't imagine which one though, hence the head-scratchology issue...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 06:21 PM   #28
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

One thing I liked about my old E39 M5 is there were zero blank buttons. You don't see that anymore.

Come to think of it, my S2000 also had no blanks, although that was because there were no real trim levels or options.
Appreciate 0