F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > E90 M3 vs Tuned 335i and Why I Choose the M3 Instead.
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-29-2017, 11:01 PM   #23
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
87
Rep
407
Posts

Drives: A nice car
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieinotayev View Post
Do you want a fake sports car just to win a few races you see on the streets? Or do you want a True sports car that will put a smile on your face every time you drive. I'm not sure about everyone else but i believe the answer is pretty simple.
He's right, I should be getting something like a GT3 or a McLaren. I am just punishing myself with a sedan
__________________
I subscribe to ASD OFF because I like to hear real engine sounds

BMW Athletics Soft Shell Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 12:13 AM   #24
jgoens
Brigadier General
jgoens's Avatar
2447
Rep
4,718
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

This reminds of the e90 335 vs 328 days...but I think price point needs to be put into perspective. If a modded 335 was the same price as a comparable M3 then it is a no brainer for me as I would take the M3.

Everybody has a price point and we all strive to have what we can afford. My 335 with all options and the mods I have done hardly breaks the bank but based on my budget and what I want to spend an M3 would have been over the edge of what I feel like spending.

While it's a great review and offer of perspective, especially for someone who has a $10k spending sway, the comparison probably does not apply to most people.

In many cases with people with performance BMW's it really comes down to what makes you happy.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 01:32 PM   #25
goj
Colonel
goj's Avatar
United_States
1018
Rep
2,903
Posts

Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

The M3 is a fun car and it seems like you had an unreliable 335i.

The e9x m3 is highly compromised as a daily driver, at least in my application. It has terrible gas mileage and a bad torque curve meaning you have to rev it up super high to get any punch from your 414hp engine from a stand still.

Also the e9x version of iDrive/nav was simply terrible. The routes were completely obscure and roundabout unless the route was simple.

I love the e9x m3 it has great charm but I could never own one
__________________
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 10:44 PM   #26
Michael Schott
Lieutenant Colonel
154
Rep
1,962
Posts

Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

iTrader: (0)

The E90 M3 may be the last really great 3 series. Fabulous engine steering and suspension tuning.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 11:42 PM   #27
tsbrown
Private
28
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i/6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: KY

iTrader: (0)

M3 and normal 3er...very different cars. Having owned an E46 330i ZHP for 5 years, then a new E90 M3 for over 6 years then trading it for an F30 340i, there is no doubt the M3 is built for a different purpose than mere mortal 3ers. But that's why I have the 340i now instead of the M3 (E90 or F80).

But to call the E90 M3 a true sports car? That's a bit strong. It's a great car - absolutely loved mine - but it's no sports car...it's just too heavy. Good brakes but barely enough for 30 minute track sessions on stock pads.

Also, the S65B40 is a fantastic engine but not without its faults. Like Throttle Actuators ($1900 apiece, there are 2) and needing to keep tabs on rod bearing wear. Not all engines will experience that issue, but it's $2500 or more to fix.

BTW, since you're in KY did you buy my old M3...Space Gray with Fox Red interior and 6MT?
Appreciate 3
      01-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #28
kpgray
GasCompressor
kpgray's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport RWD
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rochester, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
This reminds of the e90 335 vs 328 days...but I think price point needs to be put into perspective. If a modded 335 was the same price as a comparable M3 then it is a no brainer for me as I would take the M3.

Everybody has a price point and we all strive to have what we can afford. My 335 with all options and the mods I have done hardly breaks the bank but based on my budget and what I want to spend an M3 would have been over the edge of what I feel like spending.

While it's a great review and offer of perspective, especially for someone who has a $10k spending sway, the comparison probably does not apply to most people.
+1


Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrown View Post
M3 and normal 3er...very different cars. Having owned an E46 330i ZHP for 5 years, then a new E90 M3 for over 6 years then trading it for an F30 340i, there is no doubt the M3 is built for a different purpose than mere mortal 3ers. But that's why I have the 340i now instead of the M3 (E90 or F80).
+1

New, the entry level for an M3/M4 is same as a FULLY optioned 340i. In some cities the M is simply too harsh for daily driving (potholes, gravel roads) and many drivers (particularly in Northern states) want the AWD versions. If we choose M3 for a daily, a set of winter wheels is another $3K. Besides, the cost of an M elevates the payments into territories that put it out of reach for us mere middle class peasants.

Since this comparison seems to be a used 2013 M3 vs. 2013 F30 335i, we all know the M3 is going to be much more performance oriented and the M will certainly fit the WOW factor, but for a daily driver and daily practicality the differences are rather dramatic and should be well thought out before plugging down our hard earned $$$.

E90 M3 Advantage:
  • Hydraulic vs 1st run electric steering, the E90 wins (although newer F30 models upgraded electric steering is much improved)
  • Performance HP: 400HP V8 vs. 300 HP 3.0L, although the F30 reacts very well to modifications, it's a minimum $5K bill to get the 335i to the HP levels of the M
  • Handling, the M will corner, handle better at higher speeds, a known

F30 335i advantage:
  • Electric Steering is easier in parking lots and tight spaces
  • the larger F30 has more room (especially the trunk) and a larger back seat.
  • The mileage is nearly double on the 335i vs the M (18 vs 30 MPG)
  • you get the newest model (at least till the new G20 next year)
  • Driveability, the M is too harsh for many environments for daily commutes
  • AWD version, comes with all seasons for year round driving in snowy areas
  • lower insurance costs

I'm sure there are many other Pro/Con items, but this is just what comes to mind off the top of my head. For myself, the 335i RWD is quite good with out being harsh. The MPPK and MPE help in the performance area and give 340HP ($3K of mods). This gives me very good performance without the negatives of the M3.
__________________

2014 335i RWD M-Sport Black/Beige 403M
PP/CWP/DAP/TP/SportTrans/HK/MPPK/MPE
Appreciate 3
      01-03-2018, 01:43 AM   #29
H2O
Enlisted Member
9
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: X5 3.5D, e46 330xi, 340xi
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 340xi  [0.00]
Went from e90 m3 dct to 340awd 8at 6 month ago. No regret at all. M3 was a great car, but 340 as a daily can do so much more.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:45 AM   #30
ceedawg
Private
ceedawg's Avatar
15
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Big City

iTrader: (0)

Obviously the M3 is a built homogenous car from the race car while the 335i is more a compromise between street and sport,so to me its stupid obvious that they are built for two different purposes! Say hello to the M2 and M235i for me wiil ya! The V8 M3 is not a superior car in everyway. Only for what it was built for so its pros will be different than the 335i's pros. Very inefficient V8 cousin of the V10.

While I like the new M3/4 I think they are superior to the old V8 car, Oh and Audi has learned its lesson too building the crappy V8 in the RS4 now going back to a turbocharged V6.

PS Why did BMW wake up and go back to making the M3 an inline 6 by the way and now turbo charged? Guess they learned something from the N54 335i huh!! Never mess with perfection. Inline turbocharged 6 baby!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #31
JAhmed
Private
JAhmed's Avatar
15
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 428GC
Join Date: May 2017
Location: CHICAGOLAND!!!

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Neither is the M3 an M4.

They are both sporty sedans/coupes.
This. No variant of the 3 series is a "sports car".

Nonetheless, hope the OP enjoys his purchase. Love the V8 in the E90 M3.
__________________
2016 Porsche Cayman GTS - [6MT/X73/PTV]
2016 BMW 428 xDrive GranCoupe - [Tech/Cold/Lux]
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - [Hemi/Nav]
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #32
jinxremoved
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: F30 335 Dinan Stage 4
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (0)

When I was deciding on my next car, I made this same comparison and decided I'd rather build my 335 the way I wanted it than get a V8 M3. Do I wish a F80 was comfortably in my price range? Sure (although I actually prefer the understated styling of the F30). Would I trade my current care for an E90 M3? Not under any conditions.
__________________
F30 335. Dinan Stage 4 including suspension. Wavetrac LSD.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #33
MacklinUSOB
Private First Class
United_States
29
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAhmed View Post
This. No variant of the 3 series is a "sports car".

Nonetheless, hope the OP enjoys his purchase. Love the V8 in the E90 M3.
Speaking of proper sports cars, you have a profoundly excellent one. Nice.

2016 Porsche Cayman GTS - [6MT/X73/PTV]
__________________
Add 5 horsepower for every M logo
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 12:06 AM   #34
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
N0Chill 335i's Avatar
United_States
418
Rep
2,529
Posts

Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxremoved View Post
When I was deciding on my next car, I made this same comparison and decided I'd rather build my 335 the way I wanted it than get a V8 M3. Do I wish a F80 was comfortably in my price range? Sure (although I actually prefer the understated styling of the F30). Would I trade my current care for an E90 M3? Not under any conditions.
This for me as well. My mechanic was selling his excellent e90 M3 for the same price I got my F30 for with about double the miles (2010 45k). I just couldn't drive that car every day. Between the maintenance costs and abysmal gas mileage, it made no sense to me. I'm not a "daily driver" AND a separate "fun" car kind of owner. I want a car that does both and gives me the balance of everything I want in 1 car. So I went with the 335i because I could modify it to be what I want it to be without breaking the bank and I don't care to have to push my car to 8 tenths or higher to get the performance feel out of it. The F80 was also not in my price range as I hate leasing cars.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2018, 02:09 AM   #35
jmg
Brigadier General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
2812
Rep
4,629
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3, i3 REx
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0Chill 335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxremoved View Post
When I was deciding on my next car, I made this same comparison and decided I'd rather build my 335 the way I wanted it than get a V8 M3. Do I wish a F80 was comfortably in my price range? Sure (although I actually prefer the understated styling of the F30). Would I trade my current care for an E90 M3? Not under any conditions.
This for me as well. My mechanic was selling his excellent e90 M3 for the same price I got my F30 for with about double the miles (2010 45k). I just couldn't drive that car every day. Between the maintenance costs and abysmal gas mileage, it made no sense to me. I'm not a "daily driver" AND a separate "fun" car kind of owner. I want a car that does both and gives me the balance of everything I want in 1 car. So I went with the 335i because I could modify it to be what I want it to be without breaking the bank and I don't care to have to push my car to 8 tenths or higher to get the performance feel out of it. The F80 was also not in my price range as I hate leasing cars.
Unless you keep your car for more than 6 years there is no financial incentive to buy.
__________________
F80 ///M3
i3 REx Giga World
Previous: F30 340i M Sport ZTR F30 328i Sport Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 02:54 AM   #36
jgoens
Brigadier General
jgoens's Avatar
2447
Rep
4,718
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post








F30 335i advantage:[list]
[*]the larger F30 has more room (especially the trunk) and a larger back seat.



.
This is a good point as there are many performance comparisons going on. I had an e90 335 and now my f30 335 is far superior to me in style and space. Since 95% of my driving is not about performance, comfort level becomes important.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #37
lo_xyooj
Second Lieutenant
lo_xyooj's Avatar
36
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: Alpine 335i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: MKE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
+1




+1

New, the entry level for an M3/M4 is same as a FULLY optioned 340i. In some cities the M is simply too harsh for daily driving (potholes, gravel roads) and many drivers (particularly in Northern states) want the AWD versions. If we choose M3 for a daily, a set of winter wheels is another $3K. Besides, the cost of an M elevates the payments into territories that put it out of reach for us mere middle class peasants.

Since this comparison seems to be a used 2013 M3 vs. 2013 F30 335i, we all know the M3 is going to be much more performance oriented and the M will certainly fit the WOW factor, but for a daily driver and daily practicality the differences are rather dramatic and should be well thought out before plugging down our hard earned $$$.

E90 M3 Advantage:
  • Hydraulic vs 1st run electric steering, the E90 wins (although newer F30 models upgraded electric steering is much improved)
  • Performance HP: 400HP V8 vs. 300 HP 3.0L, although the F30 reacts very well to modifications, it's a minimum $5K bill to get the 335i to the HP levels of the M
  • Handling, the M will corner, handle better at higher speeds, a known

F30 335i advantage:
  • Electric Steering is easier in parking lots and tight spaces
  • the larger F30 has more room (especially the trunk) and a larger back seat.
  • The mileage is nearly double on the 335i vs the M (18 vs 30 MPG)
  • you get the newest model (at least till the new G20 next year)
  • Driveability, the M is too harsh for many environments for daily commutes
  • AWD version, comes with all seasons for year round driving in snowy areas
  • lower insurance costs

I'm sure there are many other Pro/Con items, but this is just what comes to mind off the top of my head. For myself, the 335i RWD is quite good with out being harsh. The MPPK and MPE help in the performance area and give 340HP ($3K of mods). This gives me very good performance without the negatives of the M3.
+1 You couldn't say it any better to cover me as well. Don't get me wrong I wanted to fly down to FL to pick up an e92 M3 so so bad but living in WI with crappy roads and harsh winters I had to settle for the 335i.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #38
Michael Schott
Lieutenant Colonel
154
Rep
1,962
Posts

Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0Chill 335i View Post
This for me as well. My mechanic was selling his excellent e90 M3 for the same price I got my F30 for with about double the miles (2010 45k). I just couldn't drive that car every day. Between the maintenance costs and abysmal gas mileage, it made no sense to me. I'm not a "daily driver" AND a separate "fun" car kind of owner. I want a car that does both and gives me the balance of everything I want in 1 car. So I went with the 335i because I could modify it to be what I want it to be without breaking the bank and I don't care to have to push my car to 8 tenths or higher to get the performance feel out of it. The F80 was also not in my price range as I hate leasing cars.
Those are valid issues with the E90 M3 but if it was me I'd do it depending on my annual mileage and financial status . If I could afford, it would be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #39
BEAR-AvHistory
2018 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
201
Rep
2,923
Posts

Drives: 2018 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

My own personal opinion. Had no interest in a E90 M3 vs either my 335is/JB4 or 435MPPK/MPE. If I did not have 3 sportscar choices to drive, 1 mine all the time, 2 my of kids on occasion I would have gotten the M4 over the 440MPPSK/THP.

The turbo 6 would have made it a good enough DD for me with our local roads. The V8 always needed to be wound up to get into its best performance curve was slower them my lightly moded 335is & IMHO its not the best choice for a car that sees traffic.
__________________
Kevin

2018 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP - 2017 CX-5 - 2016 Genesis R-Spec Coupe - 2013 135is Cab 6MT/JB4 - 2009 V-Star - 2009 Expedition 4X4 - 1998 Ranger 4X4 - 1965 Cobra MK-IV Dyno Tuned 477WHP - First Start. 477 WHP of BURBBLES
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #40
tsbrown
Private
28
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i/6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: KY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
E90 M3 Advantage:
  • Performance HP: 400HP V8 vs. 300 HP 3.0L, although the F30 reacts very well to modifications, it's a minimum $5K bill to get the 335i to the HP levels of the M
I think you'd be surprised how close you can get with a tune on the F30. The S65B40 engine in the E9x M3 is 414 BHP, 300 lb-ft at the crank and about 350 BHP at the wheels based on dyno results and there isn't much available as an easy HP increase.

A Dinan tune for ~$2100 will get you to 360 HP/392 Trq on the N55 335i, at the wheels. The S65 engine is still phenomenal, and the sound at 8000 rpm...sublime. The M3 feels faster and more solid, planted as it should. But the N55 and B58 are capable of more power/torque with a tune.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST