BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
gibsonluva
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

2018 X3 M40i - Wind Noise

Just took delivery of my new X3 last week and noticed that while at highway speeds I have some wind noise for sure on the drivers side. Anyone else encounter this yet? If so, any remedies?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463877
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonluva View Post
Just took delivery of my new X3 last week and noticed that while at highway speeds I have some wind noise for sure on the drivers side. Anyone else encounter this yet? If so, any remedies?
Since the US does not get the Acoustic glass like the EU we must contend with the wind noise, which I think is ridiculous considering the price of this car. People complaining have had shop foreman's drive new cars on the lot to compare and stated they have jsut as much wind-noise so it's "normal".

There are other threads with people ordering the acoustic glass from europe to install or jerry-rigging tape to fight it. Nether of these are an option for me considering this is supposed to be a luxury tier car. The wind noise is heavy on both driver and passenger sides in my car.

I won't lie...I am having a bit of driver's remorse as I test drove an SQ5 and was so close to buying it but ended up getting the M40i because the deal was sweeter. The SQ5 was not quite as sporting or viciously rapid but was more than fast enough and the ride was so much more compliant and quiet. It had acoustic glass standard & just felt much more modern and fresh.

I bought the car for long road trips and comfort in town but can argue my M235 is quieter inside and has less suspension bounciness. So in terms of my priorities and needs, the car fails.

Don't get me wrong, though...it's a fun car with great tech and looks fantastic. It just seems they prematurely shipped these out earliy to get in front of the competition rush. Considering BMW is now behind Benz in Sales and how critical this car is for them in the US I am quite surprised they neutered it so much here from the EU versions.

Right now, my big gripes is the dinky non-M steering wheel, the obnoxious wind noise, and the loud tire roar.

Last edited by TreDirtyFive; 05-26-2018 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Nitrium
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2021 M50i

Took mine in and the dealership fixed it for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 02:43 AM   #5
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrium View Post
Did they tell you what the fix was?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
What’s the fix, on the fence until this is sorted.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
Nitrium
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
Did they tell you what the fix was?
Yeah, adjusted the left door striker, the insulation, and the window height (not sure if it was misaligned? didn't look like it). He showed me the gap on the left door by inserting a piece of paper between the doors, and showing how different it was from the right side. The paper sheet definitely went in much deeper on the left side.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
so this is sounding like a problem with their tolerances? I.e. the tolerance with which they decide if the doors are aligned properly or not on the assembly line.

overall though, if this is true, it's not a big deal. should be fixable with an adjustment from the dealer (and not a problem with the core design, or poor sealing materials etc).

definitely not wanted on a vehicle in this price point though.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #9
Nitrium
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarkov View Post
so this is sounding like a problem with their tolerances? I.e. the tolerance with which they decide if the doors are aligned properly or not on the assembly line.

overall though, if this is true, it's not a big deal. should be fixable with an adjustment from the dealer (and not a problem with the core design, or poor sealing materials etc).

definitely not wanted on a vehicle in this price point though.
Well, yes and no. While I don't completely disagree with you, these machines are such complex beasts, with so many moving parts, and electronics, that they're bound to have a couple of issues. I'm willing to give it a pass since the dealership gave me great service. It's a new vehicle/build as well, so it will take them some time to sort out all the kinks.

It's not like I want to excuse poor craftsmanship from a huge corporation, but I can appreciate the complexity.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i 2018 & X128i 2014

So I am bumping this. TO THE OP.

I have had wind noise coming out of the front drivers side door. Increases with speed. Then sometimes it also comes on the passengers side front so it seems. I couldn't put my finger on what the noise was until reading this thread. Did you ride around with them or just tell them hey there is a ton of wind noise.

I hope this is the noise because if its not I have no idea.

It is also present only on busy highways and more aggressive roads... which is strange. If I am by myself on a smooth road no wind noise leaking in. Strange? or the same?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 05:53 AM   #11
Legis
Private
Rep

Wind noise still fixed?

Quote:
Well, yes and no. While I don't completely disagree with you, these machines are such complex beasts, with so many moving parts, and electronics, that they're bound to have a couple of issues. I'm willing to give it a pass since the dealership gave me great service. It's a new vehicle/build as well, so it will take them some time to sort out all the kinks.

It's not like I want to excuse poor craftsmanship from a huge corporation, but I can appreciate the complexity.
Just checking back to see if the issue still is sorted? Could it be as easy as a misaligned door/window? I picked upp my m40i yesterday and definitely have a loud wind noise coming from the upper, rear part of both front doors.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

I contend it is the contrast of the acoustic windshield + regular side windows. I'm the guy that ordered acoustic glass for the front side windows and had my dealer replace the standard glass. Transformed the noise in the vehicle. Wind noise is now as quiet as our previous 5-series. It is unbelievable that BMW doesn't offer side acoustic glass in the US from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #13
Legis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL View Post
I contend it is the contrast of the acoustic windshield + regular side windows. I'm the guy that ordered acoustic glass for the front side windows and had my dealer replace the standard glass. Transformed the noise in the vehicle. Wind noise is now as quiet as our from 5-series. It is unbelievable that BMW doesn't offer side acoustic glass in the US.
I actually have the acoustic glass for front side windows installed from factory, but still have an annoying noise. If this is ”normal” I can’t imagine how it is without acoustic glass. A completely different car, but I drove a Mercedes c450 recently and it was dead quite (and cheaper). Still no regrets, I love the car, just feels a bit odd.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
HollyM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - on order!

Quote:
I contend it is the contrast of the acoustic windshield + regular side windows. I'm the guy that ordered acoustic glass for the front side windows and had my dealer replace the standard glass. Transformed the noise in the vehicle. Wind noise is now as quiet as our previous 5-series. It is unbelievable that BMW doesn't offer side acoustic glass in the US from the factory.
GL,

May I ask roughly how much it was to replace the side windows with the acoustic glass? I may consider doing that to mine. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #15
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyM View Post
Quote:
GL,

May I ask roughly how much it was to replace the side windows with the acoustic glass? I may consider doing that to mine. Thank you.
Check out my detailed report on page 6 here:

wind noise in M40i https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463877
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #16
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Another member PM'd me asking for images of the Acoustic Glass as received in Australia / factory fitted on a G01. I'm adding here for general benefit.

Edit: The image reflecting a fence is the LEFT (passenger side), image reflecting trees is RIGHT (Drivers). Australian vehicle.
Attached Images

Last edited by nxa; 08-13-2018 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
mac139.00
      01-01-2021, 09:38 AM   #17
ctkhi
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

Wind noise 2020 x3

We bought our x3 in May 2020. Everything has been fine until recently. Just in the last 2 weeks my wife and I started to hear an annoying wind noise coming from the passenger side front window. Anyone out there having the same issues?

Chris
Appreciate 0