E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > XI Dyno Preparation

07-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
flukey
Go big or go home!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

XI Dyno Preparation

This is for XI owners who have had their cars dyno'd. I called a shop in the Chicago area, "Chicago Performance (http://chicagoperformanceandtuning.com/dyno.php)," in regards to a dyno for my E90 335xi.

Looks like they are pretty experienced with European AWD vehicles, however, when I talked to a tech he mentioned that AWD vehicles are more difficult to dyno than RWD cars.

He mentioned that the car might need to be placed in a dyno mode (both DSC and DCT off?), that the dyno itself has several different modes, and that the type of dyno machine is important.

I was wondering, for those of you with XIs that have dyno'd their vehicles, what was your experience?

What type of dyno was used?
Were they're any special preparations?
Did you run into any problems or snags?
I'm running a 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 staggered setup. Would this cause any problems?
etc.

Also, if you have any suggestions of AWD dyno locations near downtown Chicago please let me know!

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
xdrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330xi

What types of mods have you done?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
flukey
Go big or go home!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Nothing engine related other than SSTT. I was hoping for a dyno with and without.

I will be installing the Forge DVs, Riss Racing Oil Catch Can, and RiX Boost gauge next week.

I've got KW V3, Full OEM M-Tech Kit, CF OEM splitters, CF OEM spoiler, OEM high gloss shadowline trim, and staggered 19 Hyperblack CSL replicas.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Dyno needs to be set as "clutch-type center diff"

Every time I've goto the dyno, it has to be done in 3rd gear... this car's AWD/traction control HATE 4th gear on the dyno (it throws errors and jumps around the dyno, with traction control turned off).
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Winston Wolf
Tax Paying, Gun Toting American Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I dyno'd on a Mustang AWD Dyno. The front and rear rollers are mechanically tied together, so no issues there. I pulled with DCT and DSC off. No problems what-so-ever, no jerkyness or jumping around. Pulls in 4th gear. Find my Dinan Dyno thread and there are some links to videos of the pulls in it if you car to see.

The Wolf.
      07-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

*oh and just for reference about my 4th gear not working comments... the issues occured on a Dyno Dynamic Dyno, and 2 different Dynojet dynos.
Appreciate 0