F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Sent my NYU Stern Application Out Last Night..
proTUNING Freaks

12-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini

Sent my NYU Stern Application Out Last Night..

please wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

go to talk.collegeconfidential.com that site will help you out a lot with college stuff!
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

off topic - im picking up my friend who attends nyu stern from the airport tomorrow

edit: today
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxballinboi786 View Post
please wish me luck!
Just sell the Lambo and made a sizable donation to the department, you'd be in no time. By the way, did you get a chance to improve your SAT and GPA? Last we heard, you seemed to be struggling a bit.
      12-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

to those saying to make a donation, I ask...what kind of of close minded statement is that? Sure, my dad could donate money, but how unjust would that be? As much as I want to go to Stern, I want to get in based on my credentials, not how much money my dad has. to the guy who asked about my stats, SAT is now 2040, GPA is a 3.6 weighted.

If anyone has a constructive comment to make, its more than welcome. But if you want to mess around please dont post here.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

Quote:
to those saying to make a donation, I ask...what kind of of close minded statement is that? Sure, my dad could donate money, but how unjust would that be? As much as I want to go to Stern, I want to get in based on my credentials, not how much money my dad has. to the guy who asked about my stats, SAT is now 2040, GPA is a 3.6 weighted.

If anyone has a constructive comment to make, its more than welcome. But if you want to mess around please dont post here.

who cares about unjust! in this time and place, any advantage you have is valuable. why leave it to chances when a few resources can guarantee quality education and a top notch professional network?! haha
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Sent a couple of applications myself not to long ago, guess it's good luck to both of us lol :S.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

These comments are rather light. If you can't take comments like that, how are you supposed to survive in the real world? It's a freaking jungle out there, especially nowadays. Time to grow up a little bit..... If you think donation is unjust, you are probably not fit to attend a business school. Go do science and live in a lab for the rest of your life.
      12-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
These comments are rather light. If you can't take comments like that, how are you supposed to survive in the real world? It's a freaking jungle out there, especially nowadays. Time to grow up a little bit..... If you think donation is unjust, you are probably not fit to attend a business school. Go do science and live in a lab for the rest of your life.
Grow up a little bit? Sorry that my morality got the better of me. There is nothing wrong with making a donation...but a donation with the intetion of receiving something in return is a bribe. Perhaps thats how you live, but my parents have taught me better.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

College donation is ALL about getting an advantage. I've been giving to my school every year in anticipation of getting a spot for my kid... never mind I don't have any yet.
I will gladly give up my legacy spot if they get rid of affirmative action.
If it takes a bribe to give my offspring a leg up against the competition, so be it. You DON'T want to play fair.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Grow up a little bit? Sorry that my morality got the better of me. There is nothing wrong with making a donation...but a donation with the intetion of receiving something in return is a bribe. Perhaps thats how you live, but my parents have taught me better.
As I said, if you want to play fair, you have two jobs to choose from:

1. become a physician and work in a city or county hospital

2. get a PhD in science and live and breathe science for the rest of your life.

It's not about your upbringing. Rather, it's about facing the reality. You just sound too naive.
      12-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
As I said, if you want to play fair, you have two jobs to choose from:

1. become a physician and work in a city or county hospital

2. get a PhD in science and live and breathe science for the rest of your life.

It's not about your upbringing. Rather, it's about facing the reality. You just sound too naive.
#2 is not the way to go. He's going to Stern, what do those options have to do with it?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also, just FYI, if you intend to insult my parents, you're damn wrong. I have chosen my own path all my life, thanks to my rather liberal parents. I went to public schools all my life except for medical school. Even my medical school's principal teaching hospital is the largest safety net hospital in the NE. We take care of people from all walks of lives. I can't deal with the back hand deals, so I chose my career path in medicine for the poor and a life of academic medicine in research. How about you? Why did you choose Stern? Don't you want the HUGE alumni network of Stern to put you in a better position than other people who, say went to Rutgers instead? You're in your own twisted world.....

I'm just being honest that if you can't little shit like this and want to be "fair", you won't go far with your career in business. That's just the nature of the animal, no more, no less......
      12-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #14
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

How old are? Did you know everything you do now at 17? Maybe it'll take sometime for me to learn. Thanks for the heads up though.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
#2 is not the way to go. He's going to Stern, what do those options have to do with it?
He wants to play "fair"....... The only place that I have seen playing fair are #1 and #2 that I have listed up there. Now, do you get it?
      12-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #16
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How old are? Did you know everything you do now at 17? Maybe it'll take sometime for me to learn. Thanks for the heads up though.
I came to this country by myself at the age of 17 in 1998 and started college in Madison, WI from the other side of the globe. Being 17 doesn't mean that you have to be naive.
      12-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #17
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i SG

Quote:

Similar to cheating, no one cares how you got in. Do people ask how did you get a 4.0? or how did you get into Yale? DO THEY? Cuz no one I know ever asks that stuff or cares...they just assume that you're smart. Help along your academic career is great, similarly how most people find jobs through friends. Is that cheating? I don't really know but you still got the job and as long as your prove yourself its fine. I'm sure half of Harvard and Yale has paid their way in; I wouldn't expect any less. Or preferential treatment for scions...These comments aren't in any way negative; their truthful.

Goodluck, are you applying as a freshmen or a transfer?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #18
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Stern is really tough to get in. With your stats I'd say you'd be pretty lucky to get an interview. Your stats aren't bad though.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #19
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Best of luck to you... I hope you get in if that's what you want.

3.6 weighted... pfft... I got you beat... 3.94 GPA at LIU.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #20
jkwhat
Private
Rep
Drives: 750LI

Good luck, I am applying to NYU as well this year. What really blows for our the 09 graduates this year is that we have a record high of students attending public schools across the nation. This means that we're gonna have larger competition than ever before.
I don't know what to assume from your GPA as NYU takes into account AP and IB courses and the overall difficulty of all of your classes but do you mind telling me what hooks you have? They put a large emphasis on leadership positions in clubs instead of having a laundry list of clubs you sporadically visit.
Do you mind if I ask for your verbal + math SAT and your SAT II scores?
What do you consider NYU Stern to be for you? A Reach? A Safety? I can't determine it alone based on gpa and SAT. How were your recs?
I believe my pulls are that my father is an established, successful business man (however, they don't take into account financial standing during the decision process), I am president of my school's Future Business Leaders of America club (100+ registered members), I am an established beatboxer, I attend the school rated by Newsweek as the top school in the nation (thomas jefferson high school), 4 years of football (we made playoffs this year, cocaptain), 4 years of crew (national champions 2 years ago). My GPA was 3.2 freshman year, 3.6 sophomore year, 3.3 junior year (but this was unavoidable as my parents left for China for a little over a month and I had to live at my aunts house so I had to take care of my brother who has ADHD and was failing all of his classes, and my cousin i was living with was a varsity cheerleader and had her good looking friends roaming the house 24/7) and I have exactly a 4.0 so far senior year (and it is prolly going to be that at end of the semester). I am applying to stern as well. If we both got in who knows, we could have organize a car fanatic club there that has it's own cars and coffee meets =).

Oh and sorry if i sound like a douchebag bragger or something, Im generally not like this but I am doing my commonapps/essays right now so I have fresh in my mind everything that I've done at school.

P.S. from what a friend who attends NYU has told me, they put extreme emphasis on community work and for this reason I had included the fact that I volunteered at chimes, a place that helps mentally challenged people with independent living and was cocaptain of my March of Dimes team at my school that raised couple thousand dollars (the organization fights premature births and it was personal for me as my cousin's family [the one I lived at] had twins that died premature, and both of my cousins of that family were both born extremely early).

Good Luck. Let me know how the results go. Want to tell me what other colleges you applied to? Sucks a dick we have to wait so long
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #21
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

good luck man, ill cross my fingers for you
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #22
Outline six
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi Monaco, Saddle int.

I got a 2040 too and have a little bit lower GPA, only one kid from my high school got into stern and he had like a 22 something on his SATs idk if a 2040 would be enough
good luck though if you havent heard yet

Im going to GW by the way
Appreciate 0