BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-14-2008, 04:14 AM   #1
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Specs & Pricing of BMW 135i

I've noticed there seems to a discrepancy as to what people are paying for their cars (on road). With no publically available pricing in Australia yet except for what the dealers are telling us we all seem to be getting charged different things. What I'd like to do is give a bit more power back to the client by breaking down what it is we're all paying for, ultimately putting a bit of money back in our pockets rather than our lovely dealer's.

I've ordered ours however due to discrepancies between the brochure scans on this forum and the dealer's material I have not yet got the full cost.
According to the brochure however this is how it should end up:
Alpine White BMW 135i Sport 6spd Manual base price: $71,400.00
PDC Front/Rear: $675.00
Sunroof: $2,750.00
6-Stacker CD: Dealer fitted, no price in brochure. Assume $600.00(?)
------------------
Approx. $74,425.00
------------------
Okay, that's RRP. Then you add taxes & dealer costs. What are people seeing as their total on road coast (RRP+ORC+Dealer Charges) vs the RRP cost? It'd be interesting to hear! If people could break it down like above, and then show the difference been RRP & final price that would be awesome. This would help others in negotiating their final price!

Cheers

NB: See attached images for brochure seen on 1addicts.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

You do realise that the on road costs are different in each state right? The difference in Stamp duty and registration costs can be pretty significant.

I think you will find that most dealers will be holding pretty firm to rrp particularly considering there is not a huge allocation for Aus (I heard something like 200 for the first year including the 125i aswell). I think the best most people will get is convincing the dealer to drop the $3300 dealer delivery fee to something more reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep

RRP is exclusive of ORC. Most states should be able to work out their ORC as a general percentage. Eg, rule of thumb for NSW is 3% at this price range I believe.

Moving right along - I think you will find that all dealers will be holding 100% firm to RRP. It's in the Dealer charges that a dollar can be saved. That's what I'm referring to (edited main post for clarity).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
moO moO nEL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323i Msport; DC2R (track car)

Garage List
taiheung long time no see :biggrin:
are you getting 1 soon?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

Forget about the 6 stacker!!!!, the machine comes with a USB interface as standard. Buy a thumb drive 4gb and copy your CD's onto it or fill it with Mp3's. Or buy a mini USB hard drive and put your whole CD collection onto it.
      02-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift135 View Post
Forget about the 6 stacker!!!!, the machine comes with a USB interface as standard. Buy a thumb drive 4gb and copy your CD's onto it or fill it with Mp3's. Or buy a mini USB hard drive and put your whole CD collection onto it.
For that matter, you can burn MP3 CDs and DVDs (if you have Nav), and go that route.

Just throwing out another alternative to a CD Changer. you can fit a LOT more than than 6 CDs worth of music onto a MP3 CD.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 12:43 AM   #7
Sydneysider
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiheung View Post
I've noticed there seems to a discrepancy as to what people are paying for their cars (on road). With no publically available pricing in Australia yet except for what the dealers are telling us we all seem to be getting charged different things. What I'd like to do is give a bit more power back to the client by breaking down what it is we're all paying for, ultimately putting a bit of money back in our pockets rather than our lovely dealer's.

I've ordered ours however due to discrepancies between the brochure scans on this forum and the dealer's material I have not yet got the full cost.
According to the brochure however this is how it should end up:
Alpine White BMW 135i Sport 6spd Manual base price: $71,400.00
PDC Front/Rear: $675.00
Sunroof: $2,750.00
6-Stacker CD: Dealer fitted, no price in brochure. Assume $600.00(?)
------------------
Approx. $74,425.00
------------------
Okay, that's RRP. Then you add taxes & dealer costs. What are people seeing as their total on road coast (RRP+ORC+Dealer Charges) vs the RRP cost? It'd be interesting to hear! If people could break it down like above, and then show the difference been RRP & final price that would be awesome. This would help others in negotiating their final price!

Cheers

I agree - but include all the charges and taxes - if you have been given them.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #8
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep

Got the numbers. Going to work on that Dealer Delivery though. 3,000?
For what?? Writing down my order??

------------------------------------------------------------------
135i Sport: 71,400.00 (Alpine White III, Coral Red Leather)
Park Distance Control: 675.00
Electric Glass Sunroof: 2,749.95
Dealer Delivery: 2,949.75

Stamp: 3,030.00
Rego/CTP: 848.00
Total: 81,653.30 (inclusive of GST+LCT)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Tank Engine
Rep
Drives:

Gents,

Is the LCT built into the options pricing? Or is 25% added to the options list price?

Thanks, Tank.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #10
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Yes LCT is built in. You back considering one again Tank?

Btw taiheung (and everyone else), I would never be paying that sort of prices for dealer delivery, or full RRP for the car for that matter. But then again, unless you have a long term relationship with your dealer, it is unlikely that anyone will give you much discount on this car right now...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #11
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post

Btw taiheung (and everyone else), I would never be paying that sort of prices for dealer delivery, or full RRP for the car for that matter. But then again, unless you have a long term relationship with your dealer, it is unlikely that anyone will give you much discount on this car right now...
Well that's great, but could you be less vague?
Sydneysider is paying $3,800 in dealer, d3syd a colossal $4,050. What would you say is acceptable?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 05:45 AM   #12
pkeatingaus
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Looking at Sapphire Black/Lemon leather, 6spd manual,sunroof and nav. Dealer delivery down to $950 and $1500 off the RRP in Canberra

And thanks for the specs/pricing taiheung... The dealer hasn't been able to give me the proper pricing and spec sheets yet!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 05:54 AM   #13
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeatingaus View Post
Looking at Sapphire Black/Lemon leather, 6spd manual,sunroof and nav. Dealer delivery down to $950 and $1500 off the RRP in Canberra

And thanks for the specs/pricing taiheung... The dealer hasn't been able to give me the proper pricing and spec sheets yet!
Who's your dealer? That's awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 06:57 AM   #14
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiheung View Post
Who's your dealer? That's awesome!
That's Paul Keating (check out his user name), he can get any deals seeing that he was our prime minister. :biggrin:

As for my deal, it's very similar to Mr. Keating above. $1500k for dealer delivery and $2k off the car eventhough I only have a single option being the adaptive headlights (about $800?). The more option you have the more they can discount as they have a margin on each option. For example, Mr Keating has options of around $8800, so the dealer is making margins on his options that are 10 times mine. The car itself has a very small margin btw, relative to the likes of 3 series. I have had other people trying to get the same deal as me from the same dealer but the dealer just won't do it. It's all demand and supply and it's only because I have a 10+ cars a year relationship with them that they are willing to deal with me. They have also told me that I will be able to get probably another $1000 to 1500 off if I am willing to wait a little. Which of course I don't. If you guys want, I can get much better deal for you than most of the prices quoted above, but unfortunately not the same as what I can get. However, I should warn you that Vic has the highest stamp duty so it may nullify your discount by the time it gets back to your state! (unless your state also has 5% stamp in which case you will be ok)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
Tank Engine
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Way

It is not a case of if, just when!!
I'm going to do a business case (My wife is a CPA :biggrin to see if I can work out that changeover this year is cost netural vs. end of lease next year.
I'm also a month or two away from a complete repackaging of my renumeration so I need to get my tax accountant to cast his eye over the best place my car should sit in that.

Wish me luck...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 11:59 PM   #16
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

I Have a $1600 delivery charge, under the BMW Corporate plan. Nifty! But no discount on the car yet. I believe they will take the car to $70k as he mentioned the price was not 100% firm yet
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #17
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep

What is the BMW corporate plan?
And how did someone land $900 in dealer delivery charges??
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 12:52 AM   #18
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: s2000

just looking at the specs pricing sheet, the only thing that i would consider is the pdc (and i probably wont even have that as i can park the car myself). what is the comfort access system? is it the electronic seats with lumbar support?
the alarm system at $900 is a little pricey as well, im sure u can get aftermarket ones that are better and cheaper, but getting it integrated into the keyfob is the hassle.
and $2750 for the sunroof is high as well. i know that hollandia do all the work for the car dealers and they install the sunroofs, and they charge about $2000 for their roofs. so someone is making some fat there.
and finally, $1950 for the professional 10 speaker system. whats the basic system comprised of? $2k can get u some nice speakers and amps running them, keeping the stock hu and the ipod connectivity.
oh, and anyone paying $3k+ for the dealer delivery (carwash imo) is crazy. as mentioned before, depending upon the relationship that u have with the dealer, u can knock it down to under $1000 easily for delivery charges.
but it is a hot ticket currently, so there probably will be no discounting on the rrp itself, all the "value" will come from the free car mats and accessories that make the buyer feel special

oh, and as far as dealer delivery charges go, i have bought a few cars from kloster honda, jeep and bmw over the years, and the dealer delivery charges there have ranged from $300 to $900, so they have a lot of leeway
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 05:36 AM   #19
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Wal, one would have to question a BMW sunroof that doesn't come from the factory! So no, BMW don't sell cars with sunroofs done locally. They come from the factory like that. Have no idea what the margin is on the sunroof, but I do recall about $400 for the dealers (and I am sure BMW Australia makes a healthy margin on that too). As for PDC, the car already comes with the rear ones. I find the rears rather useful, but the fronts are just nice to get in and out of really tight spots, not a necessity. And finally, comfort access is a proximity key system for the car. That means when you approach the car, all you do is touch the sensor on the door handle, and the car will unlock (if you have the key in your pocket or bag that is). And when you are in the car, all you do is press the start button without having to insert a key. And finally, you lock the car the same way you unlock it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #20
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: s2000

man, paying $1250 for something that i already do, i dunno.....
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #21
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Haha yes, but if you had it then you don't need to ever pull the key out of your pocket! It's kinda useful if you are carrying a baby or something, but otherwise it's a waste of money. I mean, how lazy do you have to be? (having said that I specced it on another car I have ordered haha).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #22
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the options list/pricing details, taiheung.

I'm not in the market as yet, maybe closer to the end of the year, but I'd love to know how much I need to spend were I to get 1.

Nice to see some familiar names here.

Anyone got any pics of the rear legroom? I'm still looking around. Might have to head down to the Melb Motor Show to have a look-see
Appreciate 0