F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Did you know... The US flag is offensive!

03-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Holshot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335is

Did you know... The US flag is offensive!

Unreal... What is happening to this country.

http://www.campusreform.org

The Associated Students of University of California, Irvine (ASUCI) voted Tuesday to remove all flags, including American flags, from an inclusive space on campus because of their offensive nature.

The bill, R50-70, was authored by Social Ecology Representative Matthew Guevara, and accuses all flags, ESPECIALLY, the American flag, of being “symbols of patriotism or weapons for nationalism.”

Flags construct paradigms of conformity and sets [sic] homogenized standards for others to obtain which in this country typically are idolized as freedom, equality, and democracy,” the bill reads.

The legislation argues that flags may be interpreted differently; the American flag, for example, can represent “American exceptionalism and superiority,” as well as oppression.

“[T]he American flag has been flown in instances of colonialism and imperialism,” the bill continues, arguing that “symbolism has negative and positive aspects that are interpreted differently by individuals.”

The anti-flag hanging bill adds that free speech, such as flags in inclusive spaces, can be interpreted as hate speech.

“[F]reedom of speech, in a space that aims to be as inclusive as possible[,] can be interpreted as hate speech,” the bill reads.

“Let it be resolved that ASUCI make every effort to make the Associated Students main lobby space as inclusive as possible.”

“Let it further be resolved that no flag, of any nation, may be hanged on the walls of the Associate Student main lobby space.”

“Let it be further be resolved that if a decorative item is in the Associate student lobby space and issues arise, the solution will be to remove the item if there is considerable request to do so.”

The flag banning legislation passed with six yea votes, four nay, and two abstentions.

The legislation resolved that any decoration that a student finds offensive will be removed from the Associate Student main lobby if the request is made.

ASUCI is the undergraduate governing body of UC-Irvine. According to its website, it's student-led by those who are elected into their positions.

Campus Reform has contacted ASUCI and the UC system for comment.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528xi Black/Black

this kind of thing drives me crazy. if they dont like our country then they are welcome to go back to the shithole they came from.
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holshot View Post
Flags construct paradigms of conformity and sets [sic] homogenized standards for others to obtain which in this country typically are idolized as freedom, equality, and democracy,” the bill reads.
A flag represents freedom equality and democracy, but simply removing the flag wont be enough. Every day these students will be bombarded with continual actual reminders in society, and examples of such freedom, equality, and democracy. Their delicate sensibilities will be assaulted even in the absence of any flags. The flag is a symbol of those things, but it's mere presence alone does not cause those things to occur.

Sounds like the folks who voted for this are in for more unrelenting offense going forward, so I think the best option for those people would be to remove themselves from the environment completely, to avoid any further offense being taken.

To assist with this vital undertaking, I hope that anyone on the forum who lives in any area near the campus, who has some spare time and a car, should volunteer to drive their asses to the nearest airport as soon as fucking possible.
      03-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Holshot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkM3 View Post
this kind of thing drives me crazy. if they dont like our country then they are welcome to go back to the shithole they came from.
Sad thing is it's people born in this great country who start all this nonsense. It's white, middle and upper class kids who have been taught (brainwashed) to feel this way about the country that has given them so much. They are taught to feel guilty and take up the "cause" or else... The radicals of the 60's are in power now and are finally realizing their progressive dream.

One of a million examples... Take the then fearless leader of the Senate Harry "balls" Reid. While ISIS was taking over vast swaths of Iraq and Syria, the very same group of JV basketball players that big O said was no big deal only a few months earlier, he feels it was more important to take a resolution on stripping the Redskins of their name as he and all his cronies felt it that was more important and the thing holding back Native Americans from succeeding and moving forward.

Now back in 2012, last time a poll was taken, 92% of Native Americans said the name was not offensive to them and didn't see the need for the team to change its name. Yet hippy liberals who always need a cause to fill the empty void in their lives were rallying and championing for the name change as it was considered abhorrent and a travisty. Again, as always they look for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Someone is always going to be offended by someone or something but in this day and age when 92% of the people who they were fighting for, because they couldn't do it for themselves, were fine with it so leave it alone. They will do everything they can to divide us, that's the plan.

Of course then they rile up the Native population to get a little more support to justify their agenda and then the mainstream media hops on board and makes it out to be a huge circus like some of the asshole announcers and networks who now won't say the word as not to hurt anyone's feelings. So with the economy still on shaky grounds, wars still ongoing and militant Islam on the rise all throughout the world and even back home Hairless Balls Reid deems the plight of a NFL football teams name more important and time spent debating the issue on the Sente floor. Kudos Harry... I know I'll sleep better at night knowing that less then 10% of the Native American population is offended by the Redskins name.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Holshot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

To assist with this vital undertaking, I hope that anyone on the forum who lives in any area near the campus, who has some spare time and a car, should volunteer to drive their asses to the nearest airport as soon as fucking possible.[/quote]

I'll be more then happy to setup an Uber account... The fare is on me
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Any vet who has served, sincere thanks for protecting the rights of these "students" to protest the very thing you gave so much to defend.

It should also be a very good lesson for those ruled by this who now have to suffer through the perils of not paying much attention to who they pick (even if by non-participation) to represent them.
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

The sad thing is you can legally burn an American flag in an "inclusive space" on campus under your right to free speech. Pitiful...

Looks like there is a loophole... Maybe someone should hang a Confederate flag in the lobby. Now that'd really piss them off.

This just shows that Liberalism is a mental disease.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #8
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235

Stupid students exercising their right to freedom of speech.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
Perverted as it is...

Oh, wait I'll be more offensive:

RETARDED AS IT IS
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep

The reaction from the lot of you about this issue is HILARIOUS. You folks get your panties in a twist so easily.How many of you with your knickers in a twist actually fly the flag at home, using the proper rules of displaying a flag?

edit: This is my favorite part from their resolution:

“Let it be resolved that ASUCI make every effort to make the Associated Students main lobby space as inclusive as possible. Let it further be resolved that no flag, of any nation, may be hanged on the walls of the Associate Student main lobby space.”

That part where it says NO FLAG.

But don't worry, the person(s) who started this discussion had no real want to understand the situation, they just want a soap box to condemn the actions of these students.

I've said this in here before, it sounds like a lot of folks would be against ice cream if liberals said they liked the stuff. you guys would actively be against cute puppies if President Obama said he likes puppies.

You guys LOVE wrapping yourself in the flag if it suits you. The second a group uses our freedoms to do something you don't agree with, boom instantly they are labelled as "retarded". This forum has rules against racist remarks, yet that one can go unpunished. nicely done efftreeoh.

Last edited by SoCal235; 03-09-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

No, I don't light my flag at night, I only bring it in if it's about to be blown off the eaves. How else can you tell by the rockets' red glare that our flag was still there???

I'm at least as worried that their grammar is in question with "may be hanged"
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #12
Holshot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: anti-flag measure Vetoed...

For those who actually care can find the story here:

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6342

@ Socal I'm glad you find people like me and others who have commented on this small insignificant issue as hilarious. You're absolutely right especially when it comes to all the "social justice" you and your cronies are fighting for, a simple flag really doesn't matter. Liberals talk and discuss philosophy while conservatives actually do... Btw, I don't consider the GOP representation in DC as conservative with exception of a small minority that have been attacked by their own party because they actually do what they say they would do before being elected and stand up the Boners and McConnels. The good 'ol boys have become nearly as progressive as here liberal counterparts.

Did you also read where it says:

The legislation argues that flags may be interpreted differently; the American flag, for example, can represent “American exceptionalism and superiority,” as well as oppression.

“[T]he American flag has been flown in instances of colonialism and imperialism,” the bill continues, arguing that “symbolism has negative and positive aspects that are interpreted differently by individuals.”

You must have glanced over that, typical liberal sees what he wants to see.. That's the part that is objectionable to me and most common sense, reasonable persons who love their country. There have been plenty of good men and women who have given their lives for that flag and what it used to mean and to see it disrespected like that is an abomination to their legacies. I don't care that NO FLAGS were allowed. I care that a symbol, which I hold dear to my heart and rightfully so, can now be considered a symbol of colonialism and imperialism and then of course "American exceptionalism and superiority" but used in a negative connotation instead of the correct way. I get it, to you its a meaningless flag that you've been taught to not respect or even possible hate for all that it represents and all the injustice that it's associated with it.

I on the other hand was taught what that flag means and to respect it. I'm a first generation American and I know what it took for my family to get to these shores the legal way. The American flag was always shown, respected and hung above our own native flag. Some made it, some didn't but the ones who did never asked for a handout, never took the honor that was given them for granted and sure as hell didn't spit in the face of the country that gave them all their opportunities and a better life. They had to learn the language and assimilate into the American culture unlike today where every minority has more rights and say on what goes on, that's the rub. People like you could never understand and if you think for a moment I'm a GOP lover you got another thing coming. When only given two choices I'm always going for the lesser of the two evils.

"But don't worry, the person(s) who started this discussion had no real want to understand the situation, they just want a soap box to condemn the actions of these students."

Really, I'm glad to know you can read minds... Please PM this weeks power ball numbers, lol. Please kind sir, tell me what it is that I don't want to understand. Granted, English was my second growing up but I do believe I've mastered the grade school level English classes on reading comprehension that would be needed to read that article and come to my conclusion. So please explain to me what I don't understand and what these poor oppressed students are just trying to say because for the life of me I just don't get it then.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
fecurtis
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holshot View Post
Sad thing is it's people born in this great country who start all this nonsense. It's white, middle and upper class kids who have been taught (brainwashed) to feel this way about the country that has given them so much. They are taught to feel guilty and take up the "cause" or else... The radicals of the 60's are in power now and are finally realizing their progressive dream.

One of a million examples... Take the then fearless leader of the Senate Harry "balls" Reid. While ISIS was taking over vast swaths of Iraq and Syria, the very same group of JV basketball players that big O said was no big deal only a few months earlier, he feels it was more important to take a resolution on stripping the Redskins of their name as he and all his cronies felt it that was more important and the thing holding back Native Americans from succeeding and moving forward.

Now back in 2012, last time a poll was taken, 92% of Native Americans said the name was not offensive to them and didn't see the need for the team to change its name. Yet hippy liberals who always need a cause to fill the empty void in their lives were rallying and championing for the name change as it was considered abhorrent and a travisty. Again, as always they look for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Someone is always going to be offended by someone or something but in this day and age when 92% of the people who they were fighting for, because they couldn't do it for themselves, were fine with it so leave it alone. They will do everything they can to divide us, that's the plan.

Of course then they rile up the Native population to get a little more support to justify their agenda and then the mainstream media hops on board and makes it out to be a huge circus like some of the asshole announcers and networks who now won't say the word as not to hurt anyone's feelings. So with the economy still on shaky grounds, wars still ongoing and militant Islam on the rise all throughout the world and even back home Hairless Balls Reid deems the plight of a NFL football teams name more important and time spent debating the issue on the Sente floor. Kudos Harry... I know I'll sleep better at night knowing that less then 10% of the Native American population is offended by the Redskins name.
I think you're reading too much into it. It's California. This is normal for them.
      03-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #14
fecurtis
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
This just shows that Liberalism is a mental disease.
One could say the same about conservatism.

Those people in CA are probably the same who won't vaccinate their children. But for every one of those, you have another who thinks homosexuals are the biggest threat to America or that you should ban the word "global warming".

Stupid people are on either side of the political spectrum.

I get your point of view though. I didn't think liberalism was all that bad until I spent time in Montgomery County, MD. A family could be charged with a crime....because they allowed their kids to play outside and walk to school unsupervised. Give me a break.
      03-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #15
fecurtis
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
I don't see anyone calling for their prosecution so I don't see how that's relevant to anything.

It's ok to admit when something is silly and a bit unnecessary...that's part of the free speech thing too. I'm not gonna sit here and claim that this will be the "downfall of America" or anything hyperbolic like that, since that's pretty silly too.
      03-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #16
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
One could say the same about conservatism.

Those people in CA are probably the same who won't vaccinate their children. But for every one of those, you have another who thinks homosexuals are the biggest threat to America or that you should ban the word "global warming".

Stupid people are on either side of the political spectrum.

I get your point of view though. I didn't think liberalism was all that bad until I spent time in Montgomery County, MD. A family could be charged with a crime....because they allowed their kids to play outside and walk to school unsupervised. Give me a break.
Have you ever thought it is "progressive" to think the Earth's climate changes all by itself?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #17
fecurtis
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you ever thought it is "progressive" to think the Earth's climate changes all by itself?
Have you ever thought it logical that the increased CO2 output has had a statistically significant impact on climate?

Not just from cars and what not but from increased agriculture (cows for example require a lot of land and more downed trees vs a farm with chickens or pigs).

Both in tandem seem within the realm of reason, don't see the purpose of banning the term. Seems juvenile.
      03-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #18
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Have you ever thought it logical that the increased CO2 output has had a statistically significant impact on climate?

Not just from cars and what not but from increased agriculture (cows for example require a lot of land and more downed trees vs a farm with chickens or pigs).

Both in tandem seem within the realm of reason, don't see the purpose of banning the term. Seems juvenile.
I'm a Conservative and consume a lot of conservative media. I've never heard any conservative want to "ban" anything, let alone speech. Yeah, we all think over-use of the term "global warming" is a bit of a joke, but I've not heard one conservative suggest passing a law to ban it. Liberals ban things, conservatives just ignore it. The Earth has billions of years of fossil and geological records that show the climate changes all on its own and animals go extinct. Liberals are the ones that can't accept it and want to keep the status quo (sounds like a very "conservative" position to me). The Earth’s climate is not static, it is a moving average. Every day new weather data changes the old average.

And I don't think increased CO2 has a statistically significant impact on the climate. It's not settled science. It's predictive modeling at best; conclusive... no.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #19
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Having no flag offends me, according to their bill, the issue must be address.
No what do they do?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #20
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm a Conservative and consume a lot of conservative media. I've never heard any conservative want to "ban" anything, let alone speech. Yeah, we all think over-use of the term "global warming" is a bit of a joke, but I've not heard one conservative suggest passing a law to ban it. Liberals ban things, conservatives just ignore it. The Earth has billions of years of fossil and geological records that show the climate changes all on its own and animals go extinct. Liberals are the ones that can't accept it and want to keep the status quo (sounds like a very "conservative" position to me). The Earth’s climate is not static, it is a moving average. Every day new weather data changes the old average.

And I don't think increased CO2 has a statistically significant impact on the climate. It's not settled science. It's predictive modeling at best; conclusive... no.

Effthreeoohwhatever,

So you'r facts are better than say I don't know, NASA? What kind of research are you performing these days to support your views?

http://climate.nasa.gov

edit: Why don't you go ahead and go to Bangladesh and tell the people there is no climate change:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/29/wo...ange.html?_r=0

the science is settled, it's the GOP trying to refute the science.

Last edited by SoCal235; 03-09-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #21
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep

And 15 miles away from UC Irvine, a Huntington Beach resident wants it to be a capital offense to be gay. Seriously, this guy actually put his own money up to start a bill that will kill people who identify as gay. Keep on keeping it classy GOP, you guys sure have the "morale high ground"

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazin...gton_beach.php

I'd love to see one of you right-wingers actually denounce this type of behavior, but I doubt any of you ever will.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #22
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235
And 15 miles away from UC Irvine, a Huntington Beach resident wants it to be a capital offense to be gay. Seriously, this guy actually put his own money up to start a bill that will kill people who identify as gay. Keep on keeping it classy GOP, you guys sure have the "morale high ground"

http://<a href="http://<a href="http...hp</a></a></a>

I'd love to see one of you right-wingers actually denounce this type of behavior, but I doubt any of you ever will.
I'm not a Republican but this argument is not fair. One man'a actions do not an entire party make. It's like saying all Muslims are terrorists because some are ISIL or Al Qaeda or because some people are skin heads that all white people are. It's false, misleading and not fair to the rest of that group.

That said this Huntington Beach guy is disgusting.
Appreciate 0