F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW to finally offer 4-cylinder 3-series (F30) in USA! (for F30 3-series)

10-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #111
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M1

Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

....and doesnt have Direct Injection or any other modern technologies..
Great engine nevertheless..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander View Post
STi gets shitty fuel economy though because it's tuned for higher boost/performance.
amdmaxx is offline   United_States
      10-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #112
Saintor
Colonel

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I hope you will feel corrected on both counts. [tii was 4 cyl., and BMW 4 cyl engines don't sound or feel like a Toyota; moreover, let's hope that you are wrong on a third count and that the new 1 series will be more like $30k]
Absolutely not. I never heard a 2002Ti or I would have recognized the sound of a 4 cylinder. And no, ALL BMW 4 cyl engines stock (non M3) I heard so far (quite a few) DO sound or feel like a Toyota. They are no better.
      12-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #113
bavarian19
General

Drives: Car

I would not mind getting such an engine in my wifes next car.
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
      12-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #114
MikeTerp
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 BMW 328 (E90)

I have nothing against 4-bangers, but I am very skeptical of any notable fuel savings if BMW tries to turbo-up a 4 to provide similar power to the I-6. Sure, if you can stand to drive on the back of the throttle you might get some savings, but since these are BMWs, most folks will be in positive boost much of the time and the gas gauge will drop accordingly.

Some people bad-mouthed the C&D turbo vs. normally aspirated tests, but I expect that if people drive these new 4 cylinder BMWs in any spirited manner, those tests are likely to be a good indicator of what their mileage will be. Turbos suck gas.
MikeTerp is offline   United_States
      12-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #115
SRT14PimPin07
Captain

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

My cuzin has an audi A4 with a 4 cylinder turo engine, and he has to put it in sport when entering the freeway just to gain some speed.....
SRT14PimPin07 is offline   Armenia
      12-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #116
mapezzul
Special Agent

Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post

And Michael, surely you cannot defend BMWNA's decision to import 335d and not 330d or 320d? What BMW needs now is not some goof comparing light bulbs to autos. Audi's ad with the barrels of oil rolling back onto the oil tanker is way better. We need 320d's running laps past Priuses (and tdi's) on the 'ring, and going across a map of the USA from NY to LA on four tanks of fuel (<$200). It wouldn't surprise me if one of the mpg nuts could do it for <$100 of fuel.

Efficient dynamics => cars that are more fun to drive than our current luxo-barges.

I remember my 2,000 lbs. 4 cyl. 2002tii well. It was a blast to drive. Then government regulations and the luxury-tech arms races set in and our cars bloated to 4,000 lbs. Efficient dynamics is brilliant.
I lost track of this thread- I assume this was directed at me?

I am not trying to defend BMWNA just merely pointing out the original thought process.

First- the decision to bring the diesels here was made long before the market bubble popped. They needed a single motor to power two vehicles (the top sellers 3 and X5) because of the cost of testing etc.- it must be able to be modified to decrease emissions and to decrease the "diesel" sound/feel. At the time (about 2006) when this all began there was only one motor and that was what got the nod. It took several years to tweak it and then get it emissions approved.

Second- BMW has NEVER been about frugality, it has been about performance in the US. They use the tagline Ultimate Driving Machine in the US- a 118d is not that. The shear fact that people compare a 335d and a Jetta always makes me laugh. They wanted to show what diesel could do. Ever notice why Audi has not put a wimpy diesel in the A4? It is the same reason BMW didn't in the 3- that is NOT what the majority of luxury market wants. And Yes! the Audi ads were much better (I even wrote about that)

Third- There are more diesels and hybrids coming (notice how the hybrids get better MPG but do not kill the drive, that is what BMW is about- the Drive, want MPG go by a Honda- even though BMW has better emissions as a whole) The next Diesel will be similar to the 23d in the EU- it will launch in the X1 (what Jim was saying in that misquote) and then into the 1.

Fourth and final point- People in the US say they want these lower displacement, less powerful fuel miser diesels- but when it comes time to pony up and buy them they will not pay the extra for the price of admission to drive them. It is what market research has shown; premium cars are not viewed in the same manner as an economy car- so they should not perform like them. Also, worth noting is that the era of the 5er wagon is more than likely over- once again the buying public has said that it is not what they want by not openning their wallets.

You will see in the next week a model (a 4 door) that shows BMWNA taking further steps to decrease emissions and improve MPG, this will continue in each model.

And just for the record I too would like to see a lighter diesel model come to market and I would pay a premium for it BUT it better not be a BMW Jetta...

I will always have my V8 ///M3 to keep me happy but something a little less that gets a bit more would be nice to augment. A 123d 5 door would be just right.

-M
mapezzul is offline   United_States