F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Study shows gluten free diet increases risk for diabetes
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
DonaldPump
Captain
DonaldPump's Avatar
617
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Below parallel

iTrader: (0)

Study shows gluten free diet increases risk for diabetes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...tudy-suggests/

Very surprising study.

I personally don't follow or believe in paleo dieting though many of my friends do. Thoughts?
__________________
2013 BSM Coral Red E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - JB Stage 1 - BMS Intake - Golf Tee Mod - Gloss Black Kidneys
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
insanecoder
Major
571
Rep
1,415
Posts

Drives: 340is
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast USA

iTrader: (0)

I think there needs to be more studies.. besides I think there are other reasons to avoid wheat products besides just GMO gluten & diabetes .. ie glyphosates
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
DonaldPump
Captain
DonaldPump's Avatar
617
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Below parallel

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
I think there needs to be more studies.. besides I think there are other reasons to avoid wheat products besides just GMO gluten & diabetes .. ie glyphosates
Haven't done much research on glyphosates but a quick google search shows its linked to roundup. I have watched a few netflix documentaries on Monsanto and pesticides but I was under the impression this wasn't exclusive to wheat.

Aren't these same pesticides found on non-organic vegetables?
__________________
2013 BSM Coral Red E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - JB Stage 1 - BMS Intake - Golf Tee Mod - Gloss Black Kidneys
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
Our03z4
Private
16
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: 03 Z4 2.5
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
Haven't done much research on glyphosates but a quick google search shows its linked to roundup. I have watched a few netflix documentaries on Monsanto and pesticides but I was under the impression this wasn't exclusive to wheat.

Aren't these same pesticides found on non-organic vegetables?
Most crops are roundup ready, including soy beans. I've been using roundup pro for many years and really don't like to but I can't find anything that works as well. They are finding it's not that safe of a product anymore so it does worry me about my long term health. Another bad one is Neo-nic products, they are finding that it may be causing the honey bee decline. What's really scary is how it stays in the soil make up for up to 10 years. Europe has already banned that product and some have banned roundup also. Good ole North America still loves the stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
insanecoder
Major
571
Rep
1,415
Posts

Drives: 340is
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast USA

iTrader: (0)

yea but for veges many times they go thru powerwashing and besides if you buy the veges I'd assume youd wash it good first but they dont do it with wheat products so the junk is in all the processed foods like cheerios and chips.. its fairly alarming
and for the liberals: NO ITS NOT A CONSPIRACY ITS FACT

yes and I too had always suspected pesticides in the decline of our bee population makes sense
gotta love Monsanto.. $$$ over lives
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #6
Our03z4
Private
16
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: 03 Z4 2.5
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
yea but for veges many times they go thru powerwashing and besides if you buy the veges I'd assume youd wash it good first but they dont do it with wheat products so the junk is in all the processed foods like cheerios and chips.. its fairly alarming
and for the liberals: NO ITS NOT A CONSPIRACY ITS FACT

yes and I too had always suspected pesticides in the decline of our bee population makes sense
gotta love Monsanto.. $$$ over lives

I hope you realize you can't wash pesticides off. A lot of pesticides and herbicides are systemic, meaning they are inside the plant and can not be washed off. Crops high in water content are worse. Some of the products I use kill insects when they actually start eating the plant because of these properties. I try to buy organic whenever we can, gotta offset my exposure somehow lol. Also Bayer makes the bee decline products in question.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
wntrsnowg
Private
United_States
3
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Wtf is gluten? A phase people bandwagon onto in LA?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #8
David70
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
444
Rep
1,507
Posts

Drives: '06 Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...tudy-suggests/

Very surprising study.

I personally don't follow or believe in paleo dieting though many of my friends do. Thoughts?
From the report

Quote:
It is estimated that more than four million people are currently living with Type 2 diabetes in the UK at present,around 6 per cent of the population.
Quote:
A major new study by Harvard University suggests that ingesting only small amounts of the protein, or avoiding it altogether, increases the danger of diabetes by as much as 13 per cent.
So most have a small chance of having Type 2 diabetes and if you are gluten free your chances are still small just possibly a tiny amount higher. 13% higher than 6% isn't worth worrying about one way or the other.

I also think the Gluten Free fad is nonsense if you aren't the 1% that are genuinely gluten intolerant.
__________________
2006 Z4M Coupe - Stromung exhaust, ZHP knob, stubby antenna, clutch delay delete
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:10 AM   #9
DonaldPump
Captain
DonaldPump's Avatar
617
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Below parallel

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
From the report





So most have a small chance of having Type 2 diabetes and if you are gluten free your chances are still small just possibly a tiny amount higher. 13% higher than 6% isn't worth worrying about one way or the other.

I also think the Gluten Free fad is nonsense if you aren't the 1% that are genuinely gluten intolerant.
That's a good point, the increase is small.

However, it's safe to say that people who are eating gluten free diets are typically eating lower carbohydrate diets. I found it interesting that gluten played an important role in preventing diabetes.
__________________
2013 BSM Coral Red E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - JB Stage 1 - BMS Intake - Golf Tee Mod - Gloss Black Kidneys

Last edited by DonaldPump; 03-10-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
2461
Rep
3,999
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Please be sure and post that it's TYPE 2 diabetes so us type 1s don't come in hoping against hope for something to alleviate the constant poking and prodding and injecting. I am so allergic to needles
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #11
DonaldPump
Captain
DonaldPump's Avatar
617
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Below parallel

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post
Wtf is gluten? A phase people bandwagon onto in LA?
It's a protein found in wheat products. Some people have Celiac disease which causes them to actually be allergic to gluten. Many diets nowadays such as Paleo dieting preach that gluten free diets can prevent inflammation and promote overall better health.
__________________
2013 BSM Coral Red E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - JB Stage 1 - BMS Intake - Golf Tee Mod - Gloss Black Kidneys
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
fecurtis
Major General
United_States
2936
Rep
5,637
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post
Wtf is gluten? A phase people bandwagon onto in LA?
Something very dangerous to people with Celiac Disease. Gluten is also something idiots will avoid because they think there's some health benefit to not eating gluten.
__________________
2014 BMW 335i M-Sport | Estoril Blue II | 8AT | MPPK | MPE
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
trvplvrdBOI
Many men...wish death.
trvplvrdBOI's Avatar
No_Country
627
Rep
818
Posts

Drives: at 14mpg
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: your mom's prob

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Something very dangerous to people with Celiac Disease. Gluten is also something idiots will avoid because they think there's some health benefit to not eating gluten.
See my post in the other thread. LOL. Some folks just don't adhere to this sticky (pun) protein.

If there is a fad to be had, then people just can't go against the grain.


Okay, I'm done.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaghave View Post
My post are perfectly coherit and well written.
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #14
DonaldPump
Captain
DonaldPump's Avatar
617
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Below parallel

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvplvrdBOI View Post
See my post in the other thread. LOL. Some folks just don't adhere to this sticky (pun) protein.

If there is a fad to be had, then people just can't go against the grain.


Okay, I'm done.
Well done sir.
__________________
2013 BSM Coral Red E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - JB Stage 1 - BMS Intake - Golf Tee Mod - Gloss Black Kidneys
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
insanecoder
Major
571
Rep
1,415
Posts

Drives: 340is
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast USA

iTrader: (0)

Theres alot of pin the tail on the donkey going on with research pointing here and there. Some people have pointed at gluten and provided their rationale. While there is some merit, I would tend to believe its less gluten than either the GMO variants of the plants or the pesticides used like glyphosates.. now there are more dangerous pesticides than glyphosates but roundup is not exactly good for our bodies and its been found in waterways across America .. I hope water treatment is able to rid of these but I am not knowledgeable enuf about that.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #16
insanecoder
Major
571
Rep
1,415
Posts

Drives: 340is
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
I hope you realize you can't wash pesticides off. A lot of pesticides and herbicides are systemic, meaning they are inside the plant and can not be washed off. Crops high in water content are worse. Some of the products I use kill insects when they actually start eating the plant because of these properties. I try to buy organic whenever we can, gotta offset my exposure somehow lol. Also Bayer makes the bee decline products in question.
Well you are talking about glyphosate not being able to be washed off and absorbed.. I did not know that not exactly great news
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #17
antych
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
87
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW M4 AY
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [5.00]
Nutritional studies are a joke, you get different results depending what agenda is being pushed and who's sponsoring it. Then media latch on to some tiny inconclusive detail and blow it out of proportion to turn into a click bait headline. Where's the link to the actual study? And they wrapped it up with "The study was observational, meaning participants reported their gluten consumption." which pretty much guarantees it's worthless.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #18
DonaldPump
Captain
DonaldPump's Avatar
617
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Below parallel

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
Nutritional studies are a joke, you get different results depending what agenda is being pushed and who's sponsoring it. Then media latch on to some tiny inconclusive detail and blow it out of proportion to turn into a click bait headline. Where's the link to the actual study? And they wrapped it up with "The study was observational, meaning participants reported their gluten consumption." which pretty much guarantees it's worthless.
Yeah, I mainly put it up for discussion since gluten is a big topic in nutrition today.

Do you eat gluten free?
__________________
2013 BSM Coral Red E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - JB Stage 1 - BMS Intake - Golf Tee Mod - Gloss Black Kidneys
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #19
antych
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
87
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW M4 AY
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
Yeah, I mainly put it up for discussion since gluten is a big topic in nutrition today.

Do you eat gluten free?
I do, because of celiac, so I'm pretty clued up on it, as my health depends on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #20
DonaldPump
Captain
DonaldPump's Avatar
617
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Below parallel

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
I do, because of celiac, so I'm pretty clued up on it, as my health depends on it.
My dad has a gluten allergy due to an auto-immune disease and for people that have an allergy it is no joke. Response is immediate and severe.

Do you believe that gluten free diets promote health benefits to people that do not have an allergy? If so, why?
__________________
2013 BSM Coral Red E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - JB Stage 1 - BMS Intake - Golf Tee Mod - Gloss Black Kidneys
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #21
csu87
Banned
2090
Rep
3,668
Posts

Drives: 09 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
My dad has a gluten allergy due to an auto-immune disease and for people that have an allergy it is no joke. Response is immediate and severe.

Do you believe that gluten free diets promote health benefits to people that do not have an allergy? If so, why?
Biggest benefit I see from it for people who dont need to be gluten free, is that it forces them to actually look at what they are eating. This leads to increased awareness of what they are putting into their body and *maybe* will curtail poor nutrition habits.

That being said, there are plenty of people that still get fat and eat like shit while being "gluten free" so it isnt exactly just going gluten free that will promote a healthier well being. But that can be said for every diet and fad diet out there. There will be camps that can provide evidence to discredit, and camps with evidence that add credit.
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #22
antych
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
87
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW M4 AY
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
My dad has a gluten allergy due to an auto-immune disease and for people that have an allergy it is no joke. Response is immediate and severe.

Do you believe that gluten free diets promote health benefits to people that do not have an allergy? If so, why?
Gluten free diet is a pretty meaningless term. If you start buying processed food marked as gluten free, it's often worse than regular one. They have to replace gluten with something, and it's usually more sugar and chemicals that will cause even stronger inflammatory response than gluten. There's a huge difference between natural food like Paleo and process food marketed as gluten free, so you can't evaluate a diet based on gluten content alone. It really depends what you replace that food with. Celiac sufferers might be an exception, but I wouldn't even bet on that. You can prevent some intestinal damage, but screw up other parts of your body.

There's increasing evidence that auto immune disorders are a very complex issue and people react in different ways. You may not have a strong allergic reaction, but eating pasta and sugar all day will probably give you cancer, diabetics or alzheimer somewhere down the line, or at least lower your quality of life. It's best to see how your body reacts to different food, or be on the safe side and avoid pro inflammatory food, which is a lot more than gluten.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST