F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 will come in NA six cylinder!
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-05-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
Touring
Captain
 
Touring's Avatar
 
Drives: F11,i3,E21,Porsche 928GT,E30
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway

Posts: 929
iTrader: (0)

F30 will come in NA six cylinder!

Read Auto Motor und Sport on the net. They wrote that the next 3 will come with a natural aspirated six (328i) in addition to the turbo-six (335i).

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...r-1450456.html

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...n-1814979.html

AMS is usually very well informed, so this is good news!

Last edited by Touring; 02-05-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Touring is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
TonyUF
Private First Class
 
Drives: Ordered 2011 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 107
iTrader: (0)

The N55 just came out this year. It would make sense that BMW use that engine. I guess we'll see.
TonyUF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Saintor
Colonel
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MTL, Canada

Posts: 2,385
iTrader: (1)

The first article is dated April 2010 and second that is just published, doesn't refer to a 3.0L NA.
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers

Last edited by Saintor; 02-05-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Saintor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,808
iTrader: (0)

No details of the 2.0L turbos, what gives?
grimlock is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
kickdown
Private
 
kickdown's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320dA
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to kickdown
No way that could happen Already the X1 2.8i uses 2.0 liter turbo engine with 245 PS!!!
__________________
Diesel Power Europe
German forum: You ask a question and you get an answer.
US Forum: You ask a question, you get an answer and you are asked back another question.
Bulgarian Forum: You ask a question...5 people starts explaining you how dumb you are, for asking such a stupid question!!!
kickdown is offline   Bulgaria
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
jpd
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Alpine White 135
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 572
iTrader: (0)

I strongly suspect that North America will get at least one 4 cylinder 3 series to meet mpg requirements of the Obama Administration. This will help compensate for more powerful 5 series and 6 series.
jpd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
Touring
Captain
 
Touring's Avatar
 
Drives: F11,i3,E21,Porsche 928GT,E30
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway

Posts: 929
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
The first article is dated April 2010 and second that is just published, doesn't refer to a 3.0L NA.

Look at the article from 5 february 2011.

Picture 13: "Zweiliter-Triebwerke sollen bis zu 245 PS leisten und den kleineren Reihensechser ersetzen, wie er etwa im 523i mit 204 PS zum Einsatz kommt."

= Four-cylinders will replace the "smaller" six-cylinders like the 523i, will have up to 245 Hp.

Picture 14: "Darüber rangieren dann die Dreiliter-Motoren in 328i (258 PS) und 335i (306 PS), die weiterhin über das klassische Sechszylinder-Format verfügen."

= Above that the 3 liters six will be offered, 328i with 258 hp, 335i with 306 hp.

Of course I dont know if they were drunk when they wrote this or they are just having fun with us, but usually they are pretty damn serious about what they are writing.

Last edited by Touring; 02-05-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Touring is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Saintor
Colonel
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MTL, Canada

Posts: 2,385
iTrader: (1)

My bad; didn't check at those pics!

It is a relief (I hate 4-cyl. turbo in this class).
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Saintor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
Touring
Captain
 
Touring's Avatar
 
Drives: F11,i3,E21,Porsche 928GT,E30
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway

Posts: 929
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
My bad; didn't check at those pics!

It is a relief (I hate 4-cyl. turbo in this class).
Yes, was not easy to see at first :-)

Its a great relief. I have a 330ix, and just love that engine. Perfect mix between comfort, power and efficiency.
Touring is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
Look at the article from 5 february 2011.

Picture 13: "Zweiliter-Triebwerke sollen bis zu 245 PS leisten und den kleineren Reihensechser ersetzen, wie er etwa im 523i mit 204 PS zum Einsatz kommt."

= Four-cylinders will replace the "smaller" six-cylinders like the 523i, will have up to 245 Hp.

Picture 14: "Darüber rangieren dann die Dreiliter-Motoren in 328i (258 PS) und 335i (306 PS), die weiterhin über das klassische Sechszylinder-Format verfügen."

= Above that the 3 liters six will be offered, 328i with 258 hp, 335i with 306 hp.

Of course I dont know if they were drunk when they wrote this or they are just having fun with us, but usually they are pretty damn serious about what they are writing.
not questioning the article, but what happened to the turbo love-fest? like they would only keep the 3.0l for the 'M' and 335i.. keeping the 3.0l for the 328i they're so generous! the NA enthusiasts can relax for 2-3 more years (maybe the 328i will go to 2.0T after 2yrs)
uprising /riots avoided
grimlock is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,748
iTrader: (0)

The problem here might be that AMS adds new pictures to an otherwise old article and updates the date of publishing. In this case, only the first couple of pics are new and the other pics (incl. information) are older.

BMW choosing 28i as name of the new petrol turbo four makes their intention pretty clear, this engine is meant to replace the N53 inline six pretty much across the range. Maybe, but only maybe, the'll also offer a inline 6 330i, but most certainly not in the US.


Best regards,
south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
Socom
BMWCCA since '03
 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,261
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
I strongly suspect that North America will get at least one 4 cylinder 3 series to meet mpg requirements of the Obama Administration. This will help compensate for more powerful 5 series and 6 series.
A diesel variant would fill that niche nicely.
Socom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,745
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
BMW choosing 28i as name of the new petrol turbo four makes their intention pretty clear, this engine is meant to replace the N53 inline six pretty much across the range. Maybe, but only maybe, the'll also offer a inline 6 330i, but most certainly not in the US.
But remember south, the Z4 is confirmed to get the turbo 4 cyl later this year as well. So, unless they plan to change the name from "Z4 30i" to "Z4 28i", then we can conclude the "30i" designation is to be attached to the 4 cyl engine as well.

It is theoretically possible they could use two different engines for the same model suffix (its happened before), or they could even come up with a new name - maybe "32i" or "33i" - for a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder. But I strongly doubt either of these two possibilities. At this point it is abundantly clear that the N51/N52/N53 natuarlly aspirted 6 cylinder family will be phased out completely and will not be used for any more new BMW models.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 01:16 AM   #14
Jblack4083
Captain
 
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Queens, NYC

Posts: 793
iTrader: (0)

This is what I believe will occur:

The F30 (sedan) will come in two flavors:

"320i" (or some other lower "32x" name) ~ Turbo 4 cyl (Entry Level + Lower Priced)
"335i" ~ Turbo I6 producing 300 HP

However, the F32 and F33 will come in THESE two flavors:

"330i" ~ NA I6 producing around 270 HP (same engine from N52 330i)
"335i" ~ Turbo I6 producing 300 HP
Jblack4083 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

There is really zero chance any F3x model will come with a NA engine. CAFE and worldwide emissions standards just don't support this type of motor.

BMW has even confirmed this as such:

Quote:
new 1-series hatchback launched after Geneva - will herald complete petrol turbo-charged engine line up
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478254

Wishful thinking won't get you NA, if you really want one, go buy a 2011 328i/128i while you still can.
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,745
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
This is what I believe will occur:

The F30 (sedan) will come in two flavors:

"320i" (or some other lower "32x" name) ~ Turbo 4 cyl (Entry Level + Lower Priced)
"335i" ~ Turbo I6 producing 300 HP
There will be many more than two "flavors", but if you are talking about the US, then the 320i moniker is extremely unlikely. The I4 in the US will either be called the 328i or the 330i. Elsewhere around the world there will probably also be a 325i, 320i, 318i, all powered by 4 cylinder turbo engines (2.0L or 1.6L), and a 316i powered by a 3 cylinder turbo engine.

Quote:
However, the F32 and F33 will come in THESE two flavors:

"330i" ~ NA I6 producing around 270 HP (same engine from N52 330i)
"335i" ~ Turbo I6 producing 300 HP
Have to agree with SamS (which echoes what I'd said in my last post) - the naturally aspirated I6 (and, in fact, the naturally aspirated BMW itself) is gone. Time to move on. And like he says, if you want N/A then buy one now (I highly recommend an M3 over a 328i though ).
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #17
Jblack4083
Captain
 
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Queens, NYC

Posts: 793
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
There will be many more than two "flavors", but if you are talking about the US, then the 320i moniker is extremely unlikely. The I4 in the US will either be called the 328i or the 330i. Elsewhere around the world there will probably also be a 325i, 320i, 318i, all powered by 4 cylinder turbo engines (2.0L or 1.6L), and a 316i powered by a 3 cylinder turbo engine.



Have to agree with SamS (which echoes what I'd said in my last post) - the naturally aspirated I6 (and, in fact, the naturally aspirated BMW itself) is gone. Time to move on. And like he says, if you want N/A then buy one now (I highly recommend an M3 over a 328i though ).
My hopes and dreams crushed !

I would like to see how America reacts to a "320i"
Jblack4083 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #18
Lucky13
Lucky13
 
Drives: 2014 M235 manual
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Columbia, S.C.

Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (0)

BMW has already said the Z4, X1 and 528X will all get the 2.0 turbo 4 in the US so there's zero chance the new 3 will have a NA engine. The new engine gets the 28 designation.
Lucky13 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #19
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,745
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
BMW has already said the Z4, X1 and 528X will all get the 2.0 turbo 4 in the US ...
Technically, I don't think they have, although SCOTT has. Maybe I missed an official BMW press release though. Either way, yes, its pretty much accepted fact now that the 1, 3, 5, X1, X3, Z4, will have the 2L turbo 4 as the base model in the US (these will be mid-range models ROW), replacing the non-turbo 6 in those applications.

Quote:
The new engine gets the 28 designation.
So it's confirmed that the Z4 30i will indeed become the Z4 28i?

Personally I think it would make more sense to just call everything 30i, 40i, 50i, 60i. If not right away though, I could see them moving toward that in the next 3 years or so as the 4 and 6 cyl engines get updated across the lineup and power gets bumped up.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #20
Saintor
Colonel
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MTL, Canada

Posts: 2,385
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
There is really zero chance any F3x model will come with a NA engine. CAFE and worldwide emissions standards just don't support this type of motor.
That is not true at all.
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Saintor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST