F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Hyundai Considers Genesis RK Sports Sedan to Take on F30 3-series
RW Carbon

02-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #45
chenx15
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i/accord

so is hyundai changing it's name into Audi?
      02-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #46
samchoi604
Colonel

Drives: black on black

Hyundai won't be making a car that can rival the M series of BMW for a long, long time, but let's face it - the Koreans are really getting their game on.

Did you know that Samsung and LG have already taken over the world of electronic devices? You can't even buy a phone without some Samsung parts in it. It is estimated that there's $80 worth of Korean parts inside every iPhone 4.
      02-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #47
penny
Captain

Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'll be glad to say, if Hyundai really builds a 4 door 3 series competitor, I'd be happy to buy it instead of a BMW for the next round.
THANK YOU! A bit refreshing to read after all the badge-whore posts.
      02-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #48
crackberry
Major

Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
What took the Japanese a decade to achieve, the Koreans are doing in half the time. Yes, the Genesis may not even be a blip on BMW's radar but they are adapting very quickly. The Genesis model was a game changer for Hyundai and proved they could produce luxury vehicles and this was just the 1st generation. Give them more time to refine their designs and change market perception and you will be pleasantly surprised.
i never said that it wasnt a game changer or even spoke ill of the genesis. what im saying is that the rep isnt there, and it will take time for them to build. lots of time if they want to get to the lvl bmw and merc is at with their gensis line up.

and to the comment about being the gensis being a serious contender and forcing bmw to add more features standard. i hope thats the case. when that happens, we all win. now, i hope the same will happen with the 911 and the r8. i hope those two keep loading more features at a lower price.
crackberry is offline   United_States
      02-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #49
brian1706

Drives: 08 335i coupe blk/blk

than buy one! bmw is an all around good car that no genesis can come close to.....and you should have bought the 335 too
      02-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #50
FrankiE90
Major General

Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Send a message via Skype™ to FrankiE90
Hyundai Genesis RK
I want my brembos!!!

get so much for the price.
like an all-u-can eat buffet.

doesn't mean i'll bite.
looks appetizing, would just have to be in
the mood for it.
      02-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #51
jkrig
Private First Class

Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Quote:
I'll be glad to say, if Hyundai really builds a 4 door 3 series competitor, I'd be happy to buy it instead of a BMW for the next round.
While I don't 100% agree with that comment I would definetly give the brand a hard look......while the current offerings may not have the "soul" of a BMW they are getting buyers what they want something reasonably priced with good options that they dont have to worry about in terms of maintenance....My wife loves her 2010 Sante Fe decent gas mileage, 4wd (she never will need btw) navi, backup cam, bluetooth streaming....I was impressed with the options at this price....Now with the Genesis sedan getting a 5 liter V8 (429hp) this year....once im out of my warranty I may be taking a peek at it.....and should the motor make it to the coupe well, whats not to like about 429hp in a rwd coupe.....
      02-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #52
Yogijet
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Actually, we just went from a E92 328i to a Hyundai.

Believe it or not, it wasn't even on our radar as a replacement for the BMW when the process first started. We only went to look after about 2+ months of futile search for the perfect X3 replacement when my wife suggested we look at other brands.

Hyundai was pretty far on the bottom of the list for us. We actually looked at Cadillac SRX and CTS wagon, both of which were ruled out for various reasons. Hyundai was on the list because one of the companies we sell to has an existing relationship with Hyundai and through that relationship we could get associate discount.

Off the cuff we went to test drive a new 2011 Tucson. 30 minutes later we left the dealership. My wife and I looked at each other and the first words out of both of our mouths were "that was a Hyundai?" The second words were "now what?" In my hearts of hearts, I was so sure we're going to end up with an X3. Heck, we've had at least 1 3 series in the garage (sometimes 2) for the last 10 years. Except for a short stint with a 350Z, I've driven NOTHING but BMWs for almost 15 years.

So on we went, continue to hunt for that perfect X3. But the more we shopped, the more we couldn't ignore that little nagging voice in the back of our head. The Tucson drove GREAT. Had great gas mileage. Had comparable interior space. Had better interior design. Had better exterior design. Had better interior material. Comes with panoramic roof, touch-screen hard drive based navigation, heated seats, and back-up camera. Acceleration numbers and cornering, on paper, is nearly on par. And a NEW Hyundai would still have been THOUSANDS less than the used X3. Plus 3 more years on the bumper to bumper warranty, and 7 more years on the powertrain.

I keep trying to convince myself that the X3 is still the better car. Finally the Hyundai dealership called us back and told us the bad news. They have a white Tucson optioned EXACTLY the way we wanted in the showroom. My wife said "let's just go take a look."

That was that. We ended up with a Tucson in the garage. 6 months and 7,000 miles later, I asked her if she ever misses her BMW. She shot me an evil look and said "are you kidding me? I can't believe we wasted all that money for years on BMWs."

I know none of you can ever hold down your nose long enough to give it a quick look. But after owning
the Tucson for 6 months I've been keeping an eye on everything Hyundai, and frankly? They're doing things right. The new Tucson we picked up is 200 lbs lighter than the out-going Tucson, is larger in every dimension, and has a more powerful engine while being more fuel efficient. And it's built like a tank. It's significantly tighter and handles almost as well as my '09 WRX wagon, while being far more comfortable than my MZ4 Coupe.

I am the first to admit that I am a BMW slave, but my nose is down far enough to appreciate that Hyundai is getting there, not sure about slowly but certainly surely. There are ones that I've driven that just drive great. I would go to Hertz and hunt for the V6 Sonata of the last couple years which felt a bit lighter and just a wee bit more nimble than the fatty Accord, not to mention the Toyota Camry of the day. And now they have the Sonata turbo with more than decent horsepower and good fuel economy, and importantly, good handling. They are no BMW but they're nothing to turn up one's nose at. Over time, they've actually become a credible automaker worthy of recommendation but up to today, that's where it stops for me. People will ask me to make a recommendation, and depending on the person, Hyundais will always be on the list, but I'm not at the stage yet where I'd get one for me but neither am I at the stage where I'd even consider buying a Merc before thoroughly examining and discounting the parallel BMW because guess what...all of those that I've driven are just dead in my hands, unlike EVERY BMW - from a 1981 Euro spec 320i to an '87 318i to a '98 528i to an '11 E93 35i - that I've driven. And yes, it confirms that BMW is still the one to beat and that's what we should celebrate on this one.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.

Last edited by Yogijet; 02-15-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Yogijet is offline   British Virgin Islands
      02-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #53
docjay
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 E90

Garage List
I think it won't beat the F30,but it surely will be there making its presence felt.These Koreans are coming out with really good cars these days.
      02-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #54
muskamatt
First Lieutenant

Drives: e92 335i

^agreed. Sometimes while sitting in traffic and going from stop light to stop and not being able to drive the way I want to drive my car 95% of the time I wonder whether the large price tag and monthly payments are worth it.

Also, I think a strong competitor for the Hyundai (at least the Genesis coupe to me) would be in the used world. I would not want to be driving a 335 without a warranty. If I was in the market for a car and I could have that used 335 out of warranty or that brand new Genesis coupe with a 5 year warranty and 300 hp you bet I am taking a look at that Hyundai.

I think it is a slick car and they have done a good job with it. I think it would be a better choice financially over purchasing a used out of warranty BMW as well. That isn't what the thread was about but I think it is interesting to note.
      02-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #55
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority

Drives: 335i E93 750Li

Nobody is going to buy a Toyota luxury car instead of a Cadillac"
General Motors 1992

Hyundai learned from Lexus and Toyota. Lexus did not attempt to take customers from Cadillac. They saw that every year the average age of a Cadillac buyer increased by one year and that if that trend continued in 25 years the average age of a Cadillac buyer would be dead. Lexus also saw that the hard core Cadillac fans could not accept that the brand had gone seriously downhill and was building some very medioce (at best) products. Lexus was primarily marketing to younger buyers who were just entering the luxury car market. Lexus' core market was 40 to 50 year olds who bought a Corolla when they were 20, a Celica when they were 25 and a Camry when they were 35. They grew up with the brand and were loyal to it.

Hyundai is not attemting to convert any BMW or Mercedes owners. Hyundai is not marketing to the hard core BMW fans. They are looking to the future the same way Lexus did in 1992. If Hyundai continues in the direction that they are going in today, in a few years when young buyers who today are just entering the new car market are ready to move up market they will be seriously considering Hyundai products and will see no stigma attached to the brand. These future buyers may be saying "My Father used to think BMWs were great. He had a 2008 335i and the thing was in the shop all the time. He had to have 13 high pressure fuel pumps replaced and it had these horrible run flat tires that used to get destroyed every time he hit a pothole"

Lexus blindsided BMW and Mercedes in 1992 when they released the LS400 with impeccable build quality and a V8 engine for less than the Germans were selling their 6 cylinder sedans for. Both BMW and Mercedes scambled to get competitive V8 models out to compete.

There may be some people here are will dismiss Hyundais as "Cheap Korean Junk" but anyone who does not think that BMW will be buying Hyundai products taking them apart and going through them with a fine tooth comb is very naive.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"
CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-15-2011 at 09:50 PM.
captainaudio is offline   United_States
      02-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #56
docjay
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
General Motors 1992

Hyundai learned from Lexus and Toyota. Lexus did not attempt to take market share from Cadillac. They saw that every year the average age of a Cadillad buyer increase by one year and that if that trend continued in 25 years the average age of a Cadillac buyer would be dead. Lexus was primarily marketing to younger buyers who were just entering the luxury car market. Lexus' core market was 40 to 50 year olds who bought a Corolla when they were 20, a Celica when they were 25 and a Camry when they were 35. They grew up with the brand and were loyal to it.

Hyundai is not marketing to the hard core BMW fans. If they continue in the direction that they are going in when young buyers who today are just entering the new car market (and have never even seen a Hyundai Excel) will be seriously considering an upscale Hyundai model in 15 years when they are in a position to move up market.

There may be some people here are will dismiss Hyundais as "Cheap Korean Junk" but anyone who does not think that BMW will be buying Hyundai products taking them apart and going through them with a fine tooth comb is very naive.

CA
+10000
      02-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #57
zeenon53
Major

Drives: BMW

Each year Hyundai is getting more and more respect. I love the direction the company is going and even came from a tiburon. But if you were to put a BMW and a Hyundai in front of me and told me to pick one, well.....i'll buy the wife the hyundai.
      02-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #58
Canexican
Closet N54 Fan

Drives:

This car will more than likely not stand a chance in drawing away the bmw faithful, however I predict they will definitely gain market share from the younger prospects who are not going to be able to tell the difference between the real thing and a look alike.

You know its going to have 3 things: sharp looks, a great looking interior (i'd bet on much better materials than are currently in the genesis coupe), and way more standard features at a lower price than the 3 series.

It's not going to have the chassis refinement, engine refinement, steering accuracy, or overall performance capability of the BMW. I'm sure they will make it close enough though to draw those that are willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for a lower price and superior perceived value.

Their cars keep getting better and better. The good thing about this is its going to force BMW to keep making better cars and putting more standard features in the base price. You bimmer owners should love this news. Competition (while it may not be that close) is good.
Stock Turbo. Stock Cams. E85 Powered. Tuned by JSDyno.com
Sweet vids of my car kicking ass...
      02-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #59
wilstave
Legend

Drives: 2014 M Performance 335i

Honestly, Hyundai could build a great car.....but it always be a Hyundai and that alone will keep enthusiasts away.....period
wilstave is offline   Canada
      02-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #60
Toker335i
Captain

Drives: 335i/Sold--10" GTR

It's a Hyundai. Lol!

It will never be as good as BMW. Period.

08' 335i 6MT - Sold
92' NA 300ZX 5speed - Sold
06 IS350 - Sold
      02-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #61
BavFan_08
Dreamer

Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
General Motors 1992

Hyundai learned from Lexus and Toyota. Lexus did not attempt to take customers from Cadillac. They saw that every year the average age of a Cadillac buyer increased by one year and that if that trend continued in 25 years the average age of a Cadillac buyer would be dead. Lexus also saw that the hard core Cadillac fans could not accept that the brand had gone seriously downhill and was building some very medioce (at best) products. Lexus was primarily marketing to younger buyers who were just entering the luxury car market. Lexus' core market was 40 to 50 year olds who bought a Corolla when they were 20, a Celica when they were 25 and a Camry when they were 35. They grew up with the brand and were loyal to it.

Hyundai is not attemting to convert any BMW or Mercedes owners. Hyundai is not marketing to the hard core BMW fans. They are looking to the future the same way Lexus did in 1992. If Hyundai continues in the direction that they are going in today, in a few years when young buyers who today are just entering the new car market are ready to move up market they will be seriously considering Hyundai products and will see no stigma attached to the brand. These future buyers may be saying "My Father used to think BMWs were great. He had a 2008 335i and the thing was in the shop all the time. He had to have 13 high pressure fuel pumps replaced and it had these horrible run flat tires that used to get destroyed every time he hit a pothole"

Lexus blindsided BMW and Mercedes in 1992 when they released the LS400 with impeccable build quality and a V8 engine for less than the Germans were selling their 6 cylinder sedans for. Both BMW and Mercedes scambled to get competitive V8 models out to compete.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"
CA
Finally...some intelligence here. +1
BavFan_08 is offline   Canada
      02-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #62
BavFan_08
Dreamer

Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
Hyundai won't be making a car that can rival the M series of BMW for a long, long time, but let's face it - the Koreans are really getting their game on.

Did you know that Samsung and LG have already taken over the world of electronic devices? You can't even buy a phone without some Samsung parts in it. It is estimated that there's $80 worth of Korean parts inside every iPhone 4.
+1
BavFan_08 is offline   Canada
      02-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #63
taYab
Captain

Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

I am just sad about BMW's affort to getting performance options.
Not only they don't have performance BBK as initial options but most BMW performance parts are not available as an option.
We have to buy both stock and performance.. which is crazy.
Even GTI has Brembo... why not us?
We don't need stock BBK when we buy performance one..
taYab is offline   Canada
      02-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #64
Jay328xi
Second Lieutenant

Drives: TiAg 328xi

At the end of the day BMW>hyundai
      02-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #65
e90will
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 e90 325iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB135i View Post
lol yea right
I wouldn't count Hyundai out, you'd be surprised....I've seen and driven some of their new cars...and wow....i must say those cars are really that good...ain't no bulls**t.
      02-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #66
Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

The Genesis Coupe is just hitting the streets in Germany now. But the German magazines realy have not fallen for the car. Mostly they seem to compare the Genesis Coupe to the VW Scirocco 2.0L FSi - and the VW wins hands down. I think Hyundai needs to do more work/R&D on their "sporty" cars. Just bc it is RWD doesn't mean its a home run.
Dackelone is offline   Germany