F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Programming Homelink to open garage

12-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
tboooe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Programming Homelink to open garage

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello, I am having a heck of time programming my car to open the garage. I have one of those rolling code garage openers and followed the directions in the manual and internet:

Press the learn button on my garage opener
Within 30 secs press the button in the car 3 times

Still nothing!

Any pointers?

I have Chamberlain garage door opener.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
NO_RETURN
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i M Sport MELBOURNE RED

Ok I did this last night....

Press the program button on your garage door opener.
Next press and hold the button (for 2-3 seconds) you want to assign.
Release and press 2-3 more times until the garage door opens or closes.

If you don't see the little light in the mirror blinking you are not fully depressing the button. Press a little harder.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
joewalton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Hello, I am having a heck of time programming my car to open the garage. I have one of those rolling code garage openers and followed the directions in the manual and internet:

Press the learn button on my garage opener
Within 30 secs press the button in the car 3 times

Still nothing!

Any pointers?

I have Chamberlain garage door opener.
The BMW manual doesn't make it clear but the small handheld remote control for your garage door opener is also part of the process.

There are three buttons to press in order to get this done. Get on a ladder and push the button on the actual motor unit, use the small remote that came with the motor unit, and the button on the rearview mirror.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
tboooe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_RETURN View Post
Ok I did this last night....

Press the program button on your garage door opener.
Next press and hold the button (for 2-3 seconds) you want to assign.
Release and press 2-3 more times until the garage door opens or closes.

If you don't see the little light in the mirror blinking you are not fully depressing the button. Press a little harder.
Absolutely no luck. I tested the learn function with my neighbors garage door opener and it worked fine so I know my opener is functioning properly. I know I must be doing something wrong.

First I cleared out all memory from the car by pressing the 1st and 3rd buttons until the light flashes.

Then I press the learn button on my garage opener.

Finally I press the button in the car for 2-3 seconds, release, press again for 2-3 seconds, release, press again for 2-3 seconds.

No luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Mine might be a different type, but all I had to do was press the open button on my remote and the button on the mirror at the same time. Holding the remote close was not enough, I actually had to push the button on the mirror with the side of the remote (to get it as close as possible). Just held both buttons down until the flashing light.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:14 AM   #6
tboooe
Captain
Rep

Finally got it working. It seems that for what ever reason using the learn button did not work for me. Instead I had to first teach my car with the garage remote then teach it using the learn button.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
exl_ent_v6
BMW-Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupe

Does this work on a gate opener as well? My community is gated and I have to use a remote to open the gate. I had it programmed with my last car but I tried a few times yesterday to get it to work with my new '15 428 but can't seem to get it working...

I'm stumped. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
chiefneil
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6 View Post
Does this work on a gate opener as well? My community is gated and I have to use a remote to open the gate. I had it programmed with my last car but I tried a few times yesterday to get it to work with my new '15 428 but can't seem to get it working...

I'm stumped. lol
Never was able to get my F30 working with the community gate. Oddly enough, that same gate worked fine with openers in my E46, E53, and E70. Just the F30 for some reason is dodgy - it indicates that the code is learned, but then doesn't actually open the gate.

I ended up taping the remote for the gate to the inside of the door pocket. Turns out I love that location - it's a lot easier to reach than the buttons on the mirror. IMHO BMW should move the opener buttons down there in future models
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
F32 N55
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 AW F32 N55 M-Sport

What I'm disappointed in is the fact that the ignition must be on in order for the garage door button to work.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
bily
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 E92, 15 F33 ZMM+(1/15)

Garage List
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe
Finally got it working. It seems that for what ever reason using the learn button did not work for me. Instead I had to first teach my car with the garage remote then teach it using the learn button.
The older openers do not require this second step of programming for the rolling coded. I was never able to program my E90 at the house we are in now, but did get the new ride programmed. So just glad to get the clicker out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #11
joewalton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6 View Post

I'm stumped. lol
It likely requires being sync'd to both the small remote control as well as the gate's. Today's garage openers and gates use rolling codes for the most part, you'd have to work with your security team to hit the button to let you program your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
joewalton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post

I ended up taping the remote for the gate to the inside of the door pocket. Turns out I love that location - it's a lot easier to reach than the buttons on the mirror. IMHO BMW should move the opener buttons down there in future models
It's funny, that's the exact location I used to Velcro my garage door opener in my E90 which didn't have an integrated door opener. Just reach down with the left hand and pinch, you're done.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:45 PM   #13
tturedraider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Sonora 330i NA N52 :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
The BMW manual doesn't make it clear but the small handheld remote control for your garage door opener is also part of the process.

There are three buttons to press in order to get this done. Get on a ladder and push the button on the actual motor unit, use the small remote that came with the motor unit, and the button on the rearview mirror.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
It likely requires being sync'd to both the small remote control as well as the gate's. Today's garage openers and gates use rolling codes for the most part, you'd have to work with your security team to hit the button to let you program your car.
these. The handheld remote is used in the teaching phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
What I'm disappointed in is the fact that the ignition must be on in order for the garage door button to work.
In that case someone could break into your car parked in the driveway, open the garage door and gain access to your house.

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #14
F32 N55
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 AW F32 N55 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
these. The handheld remote is used in the teaching phase.

In that case someone could break into your car parked in the driveway, open the garage door and gain access to your house.
But my car is already IN THE GARAGE.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #15
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Homelink is a multi step process, I spent hours getting rage angry when I had it in my first car, but once I figured out the process it's easy.

The first step is you "sync" [if you will] the old remote to Homelink in your car. This is ALWAYS required and is step 1. This is basically what establishes the communication between your car and the garage door. Think about it; Homelink essentially clones a remote signal. You can't just press learn on the garage opener and expect Homelink to somehow know what frequency and code to operate with initially. That's why you 'clone' from your stand alone opener to the Homelink system.

The second step is to press the learn button on the garage door, then press the programmed Homelink button so they establish a trust and code knowledge. At this point your Homelink system knows the frequency/codes etc that your Garage door is using, and pressing the learn button tells the garage door opener that you want this new remote to have access to the 'system'.

14/335i xDrive/6MT/Bromo.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #16
Tomahawk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

It took me forever as well, until i looked up my garage door manufacturer(genie). They had their own instructions and worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0