F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > A Look Ahead at BMW F30 3 Series Launch Ad Campaign
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #23
bmrm396
Major
 
Drives: '14 F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sD, CA

Posts: 1,333
iTrader: (2)

... and because everyone can jump from a 3-series to a new M5. Seriously?
__________________
Formerly addicted to e46fanatics
bmrm396 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #24
shanecarmaster1
Lieutenant
 
shanecarmaster1's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 325i, F01 750Li, e38 740i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 531
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Interesting. It appears that there's an indicator below 0 for the auto start/stop function. I wonder if US cars will continue not to have that and will have a different layout?
We better not get that lousy indicator, but I imagine we will. I know my quirk sounds so dumb, but I like the 3.75 at the top... with this new thing, by the time you're at 5 the needle is pointing downward!
__________________
A BMW can be described in one simple, yet true statement, "From the outside you don't understand, from the inside you can't explain." How true is THAT?!
shanecarmaster1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #25
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,261
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
We better not get that lousy indicator, but I imagine we will. I know my quirk sounds so dumb, but I like the 3.75 at the top... with this new thing, by the time you're at 5 the needle is pointing downward!
Haha, the little things are important. If it makes you feel any better, the recent turbo charged engines don't really provide anything useful much past 5k, so you won't have to deal with it often.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #26
DDS2015
Major
 
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI 328i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg/Minneapolis

Posts: 1,039
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Some of them are actually quite clever lol
DDS2015 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,095
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spelman View Post
No surprise all the haters are current 3 series owners. I'd bet that to most objective viewers the f30 looks better than the e90 in almost every way.
I wouldn't say that. The face lifted current 3 is a big improvement over the initial E90 offering.
I like this new 3, but I don't think that it looks better in every way.

The new front is nice, but the current hood is too bulky, which I think is part of why some think the proportions are odd.
Overall, the proportions are about the same as the E90, especially from the A pillar on back. It's the over bulbous hood that sticks out the most to me as being overwrought. Consider that the biggest selling engines in Euro and US models will be smaller 4 cylinder turbo's, it begs the question of why the hood needs to be bulge so high.
The biggest engine will be the current N55, which fit's fine in the lower and sleeker hood of the E90.

The interior is a positive improvement as it uses it's space to give added style. I especially like the brushed aluminum accent.
The color strip can be optioned out for something classier.
But, the non-retractable iDrive screen is a let down in style and function.
It's a highly visible wart on an otherwise nice looking dash.

The ad campaign picts look very good and the photographer captured the new 3's best looks and angles.

I'm not thrilled with the new wheels still.
Maybe the US market will get something more sport for the sport and M sport models.
Also, I hope they offer a performance all season tire for those of us who always get the sport pkg. and live in a 4 seasons area.
It would be nice to get a sport pkg BMW and not have to budget another $800 just to be able to drive it for the other 7 months of the year.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #28
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,095
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr74656 View Post
I don't know..., I live in San Francisco where majority of 3 series drivers are kids and that makes the car much less appealing to me but the F10 on the other hand is very classy and I can defiantly see myself driving one. Like I mentioned in my original post though, that is just my opinion.
Nothing wrong with the F10 at all, especially in sport or M5 gear.

As for the 3 series, if it drives and handles to my liking, then I don't care if Grandma or Junior are driving the same car as me.
I know that I am driving it for it's overall competence and goodness as a sport sedan, whereas most 3 drivers are driving it cause it has a "BMW" logo on it. For that reason there is a huge difference between "us" and "them".

Most 3's in the Chicago area are non sport models, and most are 328i non sport models, with quite a few 328xi's. Nothing wrong with these models, but they are not the versions that most enthusiasts get.
328i and 335i sport models are much rarer and are generally bought by those who appreciate the sport side of BMW.

If I had the fundage for an F10 M5, I could care less what the new 3 looks like, cause I'd be configuring a new M5 instead of posting on here.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,095
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Haha, the little things are important. If it makes you feel any better, the recent turbo charged engines don't really provide anything useful much past 5k, so you won't have to deal with it often.
My 135i MT pulls quite nicely to 6000-6200rpm.
On a hard accel run I don't shift until then.
Even a run to near red line and my 135i is still pulling.
Granted it is pulling with a good bit less force beyond 6500rpm, but the N54 revs out very nicely.
Shifting at 5k feels like a slower overall run, though it feels stronger as you're in the thickness of the turbo's prodigious amount of torque.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #30
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,500
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
awesome.
Do we have a chassis codename for the wagon yet?
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #31
e46e92love
Brigadier General
 
e46e92love's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

Posts: 3,042
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Well, at first, I didn't like the idea of all these different lines, but now that I see how they are doing things, I think for many people it will make the buying experience easier and more pleasurable.

As long as BMW doesn't abandon who they are, I am putting my foot in my mouth and saying, this is not as bad as I originally expected it to be.


Cheers,
e46e92
__________________

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
e46e92love is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #32
jaserion
Captain
 
jaserion's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 962
iTrader: (0)

should this be a LCI instead of a new model year?

or i'm just bored with bmw at the moment. porsche sounds good right about now.
__________________
2011 E93 M3 /// Loving it...
2008 E92 M3 - Gone
2008 E92 335xi - Gone
2006 E90 325i - Gone
jaserion is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #33
Piotr74656
Private
 
Piotr74656's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i and E38 740iL
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
... and because everyone can jump from a 3-series to a new M5. Seriously?
I never said everyone can jump from a 3 series to a M5 but jumping from a 3 series to a 5 series does not cost much. Considering that navigation comes standard with the 5 series, a base 528i costs about the same as a base 335i with navigation and a base 535i costs roughly $6,000 more than a base 335i with navigation. Which means that with a premium increase of approximately 11%, you can jump from your 335i to a comparably equipped 535i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Nothing wrong with the F10 at all, especially in sport or M5 gear.

As for the 3 series, if it drives and handles to my liking, then I don't care if Grandma or Junior are driving the same car as me.
I know that I am driving it for it's overall competence and goodness as a sport sedan, whereas most 3 drivers are driving it cause it has a "BMW" logo on it. For that reason there is a huge difference between "us" and "them".

Most 3's in the Chicago area are non sport models, and most are 328i non sport models, with quite a few 328xi's. Nothing wrong with these models, but they are not the versions that most enthusiasts get.
328i and 335i sport models are much rarer and are generally bought by those who appreciate the sport side of BMW.

If I had the fundage for an F10 M5, I could care less what the new 3 looks like, cause I'd be configuring a new M5 instead of posting on here.
+1

That is exactly what I will be doing once the configuration is up and running on bmwusa.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
+1 in SF

When your typical college grad in software makes $80-100k/yr straight out of school, leasing a $400/month car is not an issue. You also live in SF where 30% of the population are Asian. It is a known fact that in Asian culture, status is very important. Your observation is a combination of high tech, a highly educated work force, culture, and those pressured to "fit in". I don't think I've been to many places where there are so many IS, C, G, A4 and 3 cars running around. It is also amazing to see how many E and 5 series vehicles are in the area.
+1

Marin is even worse then San Francisco though. Their nickname for BMWs is "Basic Marin Wheels" which I find pretty funny.
Piotr74656 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #34
Abenitez
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Black Sapphire E92 335is 2012
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Miami

Posts: 206
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spelman View Post
No surprise all the haters are current 3 series owners. I'd bet that to most objective viewers the f30 looks better than the e90 in almost every way.
I'm a current 335i owner and I absolutely love the new model! f30 Red four door 335i m sport <3
__________________

2012 E92 335is -M Sport Package- 19in M Rims- Black Sapphire Metallic/ Coral Red / Glaciar trim, Rear diffuser. Black Grille, 5% window tint. K&N drop in Air filter. Scarlett
Abenitez is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #35
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
 
b33g33's Avatar
 
Drives: Einser Rex
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,305
iTrader: (0)

"Passion Wins"

This is serious weak-sauce for a tag line.

It's a good thing BMW makes a great car because their advertising could use quite a bit of work.

'That's why we don't have front wheel drive' was the last, great tag line

__________________
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

b33g33 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #36
advantage20
Second Lieutenant
 
advantage20's Avatar
 
Drives: 330d Touring Individual
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: France

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Nice Except a hare is rather a 4WD + 4WS
advantage20 is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #37
darksilkx1
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FL

Posts: 253
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr74656 View Post
I never said everyone can jump from a 3 series to a M5 but jumping from a 3 series to a 5 series does not cost much. Considering that navigation comes standard with the 5 series, a base 528i costs about the same as a base 335i with navigation and a base 535i costs roughly $6,000 more than a base 335i with navigation. Which means that with a premium increase of approximately 11%, you can jump from your 335i to a comparably equipped 535i.
That makes sense if your priority is more what other people think and less the actual enjoyment of the vehicle and driving experience. You didn't add that with the F10 there is also the weight penalty over the F30 which is significant considering they both have the same engine. You also have to be willing to deal with the well publicized lack of steering feel in the F10. Don't know about you but I would rather spend 55k on a loaded 3series that actually drives like a BMW, than a lightly optioned 5 series at the same price that looks great but drives like a Lexus ES.

I personally don't give a rip who drives what I drive. I drive what I can afford and they should too. Unless you are in a Veyron or Pagani you are bound to see folks in the same car as you so why loose any sleep?
darksilkx1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #38
Piotr74656
Private
 
Piotr74656's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i and E38 740iL
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
That makes sense if your priority is more what other people think and less the actual enjoyment of the vehicle and driving experience. You didn't add that with the F10 there is also the weight penalty over the F30 which is significant considering they both have the same engine. You also have to be willing to deal with the well publicized lack of steering feel in the F10. Don't know about you but I would rather spend 55k on a loaded 3series that actually drives like a BMW, than a lightly optioned 5 series at the same price that looks great but drives like a Lexus ES.

I personally don't give a rip who drives what I drive. I drive what I can afford and they should too. Unless you are in a Veyron or Pagani you are bound to see folks in the same car as you so why loose any sleep?
You make some very good points but I personally like a cars that are well balanced. If maximum driving experience was top priority however, then I would not even consider a loaded 3 series because I can get a loaded 1 series M for the same price.

I also "don't give a rip who drives what I drive" but I look fairly young for my age and people always assume that the e92 was a graduation present from my parents which is starting to get to me. Haha...
Piotr74656 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2012 3-series, 2013 3-series, bmw 2012 3 series, bmw 2013 3 series, bmw 3 series forum, bmw 3 series forums, bmw f30, bmw f30 3-series, bmw f30 forum, bmw f30 forums, bmw f30 m sport, bmw f30 video, bmw f30 videos, f30 3 series bmw, f30 3 series forums, f30 3 series video, f30 3 series videos, f30 3-series, f30 3-series forum, f30 bmw, f30 bmw 3 series, f30 m sport, f30 video, f30 videos

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST