F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2013 Shelby GT500
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #67
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,522
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I don't know how anyone who owns an E90/92 or 1 Series can complain about interior. I honestly think BMW has one of the most spartan and cheap looking interiors of any of the german luxury brands.
I like the interior better of my E92 M3 than I did with my 07 997S. It may look spartan but the fit and finish along with materials used is very good.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #68
Sniz
Lieutenant General
 
Sniz's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Posts: 10,569
iTrader: (1)

total beast mode. this car should be able to trap 130mph+
__________________
Sniz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #69
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
 
MediaArtist's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

Posts: 1,189
iTrader: (0)

I'm not an expert when it comes to 'Stangs, so maybe experts can chime in (ragingclue, etc), but I don't understand where the 302 Boss fits in the 'Stang lineup compared to the Shelby. I know the Shelby has more power, but I've read that the 302 is a better track car. There is a chunky price difference between the two.

Also, how are Ford manuals? Shift, clutch feel, etc.
__________________
'13 Audi A6
'07 Porsche GT3 RS
'08 BMW E90 335i
MediaArtist is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #70
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I'm not an expert when it comes to 'Stangs, so maybe experts can chime in (ragingclue, etc), but I don't understand where the 302 Boss fits in the 'Stang lineup compared to the Shelby. I know the Shelby has more power, but I've read that the 302 is a better track car. There is a chunky price difference between the two.

Also, how are Ford manuals? Shift, clutch feel, etc.
The 302 is a bit of an oddball now that the Shelby is getting track treatment. I guess if you want to compare the BOSS to the '13 GT500, the BOSS is going to be cheaper, and much cheaper if you tick the boxes needed to seriously track the Shelby (better HE, diff cooler, trans cooler). But I guess the Shelby was already keeping up with and beating the BOSS in some single lap tests with '12MY, so the '13 is absolutely going to destroy the BOSS.

If I was dedicated to tracking the car, I would still get a BOSS over the Shelby though. Just less to go wrong, less heat soak, less weight, etc....

I can't remember what transmission is going in the '13 GT500, but the TR6060 from previous years takes some effort to row, and sometimes it's hard to find gears if you aren't used to it yet, but it's heavy feel and clunk when it reaches gear feel good to me. The clutch action is pretty easy. Those transmissions sometimes get 1-2 shifting issues if you're shifting too fast. I think that's because the ratios are so far apart that the synchros need time.

And as far as the MT-82, it's also real good (5.0 and BOSS). Seems to be lower effort and I never had trouble finding gears with it, but it lacked the heaviness that I like. It's a Getrag and reminded me a bit of my last manual BMW. The MT-82 was Ford's HPFP but it seems to have been solved in newer builds.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #71
krnnerdboy
Colonel
 
krnnerdboy's Avatar
 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal

Posts: 2,058
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I'm not an expert when it comes to 'Stangs, so maybe experts can chime in (ragingclue, etc), but I don't understand where the 302 Boss fits in the 'Stang lineup compared to the Shelby. I know the Shelby has more power, but I've read that the 302 is a better track car. There is a chunky price difference between the two.

Also, how are Ford manuals? Shift, clutch feel, etc.
The boss manual shifter is about 85% of an s2000 for feel and throw, which should say boat loads. There is no rubbery feeling and a huge step up from my z4m w/ zcp knob...

The boss will most likely discontinue in 2013 so there won't be much redundancy in the lineup. What the boss does have over the shelby is the track motor staright out of the boss 302s and r. Desgned for track abuse and a 7500 rpm redline w/ a valvetrain designed to withstand a 9k miss shift and as stated the weight and simplicity advantage...
__________________

W463, f30, 640i gc , gt3
Recent past: z4m, x5 lci, boss 302, c6 z06, m6
krnnerdboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #72
Malibu1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Washington State

Posts: 306
iTrader: (2)

How does everyone get the information that the Boss 302 is a better track car than the 13 GT500? As far as I know, there has not been an actual track test putting the two cars against each other? Or am I missing something?
__________________
Currently own: 1965 Backdraft Cobra Replica, 2013 SVT Raptor, 2009 Scion XB and 2004 Malibu VLX
Malibu1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #73
krnnerdboy
Colonel
 
krnnerdboy's Avatar
 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal

Posts: 2,058
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu1
How does everyone get the information that the Boss 302 is a better track car than the 13 GT500? As far as I know, there has not been an actual track test putting the two cars against each other? Or am I missing something?
If by better you mean faster, than nobody has said anything about that. However I have no doubt that it will be quicker than the boss around the larger tracks...better brakes, same torsen, better tires, 200hp more, and better suspension(bilstein package)

The only thing we stated was that for hpde drivers, the boss would be the better choice bc of the maintenance, weight, less chance of heat soak and most importantly the motor. Its what ford actually uses in their conpetion cars...it's not a simple tune and intake 5.0l. Over the regular mustang it has forged pistons, new heads, completely new valve train and manifold to name a few. They didn't go through all that hassle for 30hp
__________________

W463, f30, 640i gc , gt3
Recent past: z4m, x5 lci, boss 302, c6 z06, m6
krnnerdboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #74
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
 
MediaArtist's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

Posts: 1,189
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
If by better you mean faster, than nobody has said anything about that. However I have no doubt that it will be quicker than the boss around the larger tracks...better brakes, same torsen, better tires, 200hp more, and better suspension(bilstein package)

The only thing we stated was that for hpde drivers, the boss would be the better choice bc of the maintenance, weight, less chance of heat soak and most importantly the motor. Its what ford actually uses in their conpetion cars...it's not a simple tune and intake 5.0l. Over the regular mustang it has forged pistons, new heads, completely new valve train and manifold to name a few. They didn't go through all that hassle for 30hp
I was going to post something similar. I think a lot of drivers underestimate the effects of heat soak. That's why you see so many modded 335i's having to exit during track meets, they go into limp mode.
__________________
'13 Audi A6
'07 Porsche GT3 RS
'08 BMW E90 335i
MediaArtist is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #75
M3_WC
Colonel
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 2,226
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I was going to post something similar. I think a lot of drivers underestimate the effects of heat soak. That's why you see so many modded 335i's having to exit during track meets, they go into limp mode.
FI can be a b*tch on track days.
M3_WC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #76
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
 
MediaArtist's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

Posts: 1,189
iTrader: (0)

It's been a big problem for as long as I've been going to the track. 0-60 times are nice, but racing requires endurance too.
__________________
'13 Audi A6
'07 Porsche GT3 RS
'08 BMW E90 335i
MediaArtist is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST