F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Manual or 8speed Auto
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: 6speed Manual or 8speed Auto ZF
6speed manual 59 51.30%
8speed AUTO ZF 56 48.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

Manual or 8speed Auto

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
What are you guys planning on going with? At first i was 100% going manual(never owned one before and think it would be a blast). But the ZF 8speed sounds nice, especially with the sport auto option and paddles.

Has anyone driven this ZF 8speed? If so, how was it? I had a zf6 speed in my 335 and it was quick, but i think it could get quicker(mainly me shifting..)

Still will probably go with the manual, but just wanted to see what others were thinking. I threw a poll up too. My guess would be 70-30 auto manual.
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 335i - ED scheduled 3/1/12
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Auto for me - with the sport option. Manual is way too much trouble in Dallas traffic. Plus, with the 8 speed auto, it appears there will be no loss of time on a 0-60 run and will actually get better fuel economy than the 6 speed manual m
SoonerJohnInDallas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
 
iwannabimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring
Join Date: May 2010
Location: chicago, IL

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

I voted for the 8speed Auto. Even if it's the regular auto with no paddles, that is good enough for me. If I need more involvement I can switch to manual mode and still be satisfied.

I used to be a manual transmission fan, but the modern auto transmissions are getting better and better with every generation.
iwannabimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Saintor
Colonel
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MTL, Canada

Posts: 2,371
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Has anyone driven this ZF 8speed?
Yes it is in the X1 N20 and X3 N52 I drove. I wasn't sure about excessive chasing but that was not the case. The only thing I didn't like is the new shifter.... I prefer the Steptronic old style.
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Saintor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
5252rpm
New Member
 
Drives: 2003 Saab 9-3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: VA

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

No matter how advanced the auto is, the manual will always be more fun IMO.
5252rpm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

Nice. Anyone think that CDV mod will need to be done to the F30?

Also, good to see some others choosing manual(even ho manual will only make up about 10% of all f30).

Users who currently own a manual bmw, what are your thoughts? How does it comapre to other manuals? This will be my first(tho i know how to drive 6spd), excited lol.
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,

Last edited by justinnum1; 11-27-2011 at 08:35 PM.
justinnum1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
pcbrew
Captain
 
pcbrew's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: DFW

Posts: 771
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Nice. Anyone think that CDV mod will need to be done to the F30?

Also, good to see some others choosing manual(even ho manual will only make up about 10% of all f30).

Users who currently own a manual bmw, what are your thoughts? How does it comapre to other manuals? This will be my first(tho i know how to drive 6spd), excited lol.
Still TBD on manual myself. I have 5-speed in my E46 and am on the fence between 6MT and 8AT for F30. I am waiting for M-Sport so will wait to hear from your early buyers.

Will be especially interested in hearing from former MT owners that go with the 8AT.
pcbrew is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Still TBD on manual myself. I have 5-speed in my E46 and am on the fence between 6MT and 8AT for F30. I am waiting for M-Sport so will wait to hear from your early buyers.

Will be especially interested in hearing from former MT owners that go with the 8AT.
Yea, i started a thread in the Z4 forum, those cars are very similar. Engine, transmission, z4 has adaptive suspension, weight. Maybe those guys can give us some insight.
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
FreddyG
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 335i Luxury Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: State of Confusion!

Posts: 107
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5252rpm View Post
No matter how advanced the auto is, the manual will always be more fun IMO.
...until you're sitting in a slow moving traffic jam!

On a race track, I might sing a different tune!
FreddyG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #10
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
 
iwannabimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring
Join Date: May 2010
Location: chicago, IL

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5252rpm View Post
No matter how advanced the auto is, the manual will always be more fun IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyG View Post
...until you're sitting in a slow moving traffic jam!
Exactly. Good luck having fun in a traffic jam.

For the driving I'm doing, the 8 speed Steptronic is all the fun I need.
iwannabimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,682
iTrader: (0)

I thought that 8 speed ZF sportbox is the same the F10s have?

If so, then I 'd opt for the manual gearbox when I order my 335i next month.
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
I thought that 8 speed ZF sportbox is the same the F10s have?

If so, then I 'd opt for the manual gearbox when I order my 335i next month.
Why? Maybe the F10 didnt have the sport auto?
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,682
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Why? Maybe the F10 didnt have the sport auto?
I have the 8 speed sport auto box on my 535i. It's ok, but I prefer a 6 speed manual gearbox at the end of the day coming from a 6MT E90 330i/335i/M3...
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #14
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
I have the 8 speed sport auto box on my 535i. It's ok, but I prefer a 6 speed manual gearbox at the end of the day coming from a 6MT E90 330i/335i/M3...
Thanks. I had the ZF on my 335. It was nice, but everything I read about BMW manuals say they are amazing. I have never owned a manual but am looking forward to my first!
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,682
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Thanks. I had the ZF on my 335. It was nice, but everything I read about BMW manuals say they are amazing. I have never owned a manual but am looking forward to my first!
You won't regret it.

I don't regret my F10 535i having the autobox. It suits the bigger car a bit better I guess. But a 3 series is more sporty, so I want to go back to a 6MT.
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #16
cmk227
Major
 
cmk227's Avatar
 
Drives: ED on 2014 M6GC this summer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Irving, TX

Posts: 1,317
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
What are you guys planning on going with? At first i was 100% going manual(never owned one before and think it would be a blast). But the ZF 8speed sounds nice, especially with the sport auto option and paddles.

Has anyone driven this ZF 8speed? If so, how was it? I had a zf6 speed in my 335 and it was quick, but i think it could get quicker(mainly me shifting..)

Still will probably go with the manual, but just wanted to see what others were thinking. I threw a poll up too. My guess would be 70-30 auto manual.
I think if you are ordering a 335i than I would go with Manual. If it the 328i than either one is good.

The idea would be how long do you plan on owning the car. I plan on ordering a 328i auto next year but would be jumping into a 335i manual the following two years to make sure all the problems have been worked out.

What I really want would be a 320d or 335d manual. I would keep that baby for a very long time.
__________________

08 BMW X5 3.0si Space Grey
14 Lexus GX460
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
cmk227 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #17
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
I think if you are ordering a 335i than I would go with Manual. If it the 328i than either one is good.

The idea would be how long do you plan on owning the car. I plan on ordering a 328i auto next year but would be jumping into a 335i manual the following two years to make sure all the problems have been worked out.

What I really want would be a 320d or 335d manual. I would keep that baby for a very long time.
+1 on the 335d manual. That would be epic.

I would own this car between 3 and 4 years. 328. Im leaning heavily towards the manual, never owned one and think it would be fun. I dont have to worry about traffic at the moment, but that could quickly change. The auto does sound tempting, but i am worried it wont shift as fast as i need it to, specifically downshifting from like 6 to 2. Will prob drive a e90 328 manual thursday before i place my order, just to confirm.
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
Michael Schott
Major
 
Drives: 2011 328i sedan
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
Exactly. Good luck having fun in a traffic jam.

For the driving I'm doing, the 8 speed Steptronic is all the fun I need.
I'd still rather have the MT. I've been driving a MT for most of the last 10 years and never felt it to be a pain even in traffic jams. I have zero interest in an AT in my 3 series.
Michael Schott is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,204
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I'd still rather have the MT. I've been driving a MT for most of the last 10 years and never felt it to be a pain even in traffic jams. I have zero interest in an AT in my 3 series.
Good man! I find the argument of using a manual in traffic is sort of akin to saying that once you get a Segway, you'll never go back to walking. I've driven a manual for all 22 years of my driving, and don't plan on changing that, even if it means eventually ignoring new cars.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #20
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

My biggest gripe with the 335i zf6auto was approaching a turn at high speeds, it takes a while to downshift from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 to 2...not sure what it will be like with 8gears. I hav no doubt the zf will be damn quick, and most likely shift better than i can. But i think owning a manual is a different driving experience than even a dct. I'm an enthusiast, and feel a manual car is something every enthusiast should own at least once.
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #21
unintelligible
Computer Janitor
 
unintelligible's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 265
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
My biggest gripe with the 335i zf6auto was approaching a turn at high speeds, it takes a while to downshift from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 to 2...not sure what it will be like with 8gears. I hav no doubt the zf will be damn quick, and most likely shift better than i can. But i think owning a manual is a different driving experience than even a dct. I'm an enthusiast, and feel a manual car is something every enthusiast should own at least once.
Amen. I too have a step 335 which is by far the best auto I have ever driven, and I'm sure the ZF 8 speed will be just as good if not better. But I was scared off from manuals after my first manual car - an Infiniti G37s. I only had that car for 9K miles because the clutch feel was downright awful for daily driving. The spring force quickly doubled about 3/4 through the clutch travel, and wouldn't you know it, that's where the (extremely abrupt) engagement point was. Even after a year driving that car it was downright embarrassing with passengers. And I had 4 people drive that car who exclusively drove stick, and they couldn't drive it smoothly either.

I took a bath to get out of it, but I've been much happier. But a few weeks ago, on a whim, I took a spin in a manual E90 335i, and the clutch and shifter were buttery smooth. I could not believe the difference, and was kicking myself for not having driven a BMW before buying that G37. So naturally I'm going manual with the F30!
unintelligible is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #22
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unintelligible View Post
Amen. I too have a step 335 which is by far the best auto I have ever driven, and I'm sure the ZF 8 speed will be just as good if not better. But I was scared off from manuals after my first manual car - an Infiniti G37s. I only had that car for 9K miles because the clutch feel was downright awful for daily driving. The spring force quickly doubled about 3/4 through the clutch travel, and wouldn't you know it, that's where the (extremely abrupt) engagement point was. Even after a year driving that car it was downright embarrassing with passengers. And I had 4 people drive that car who exclusively drove stick, and they couldn't drive it smoothly either.

I took a bath to get out of it, but I've been much happier. But a few weeks ago, on a whim, I took a spin in a manual E90 335i, and the clutch and shifter were buttery smooth. I could not believe the difference, and was kicking myself for not having driven a BMW before buying that G37. So naturally I'm going manual with the F30!
Awesome!! I too test drove a g37s sedan. The clutch was way to firm, that engine was not smooth at all, and it had that blah japanese feel to it(imo). From my understanding, the manual gets even better with the CDV delete i have read about. Cant wait to be rowing those gears
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST