F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Does anyone have experience with sugar detox?
European Auto Source

12-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
F80Dreamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Does anyone have experience with sugar detox?

I'm having a very hard time getting my body fat % to go lower, despite lots of activity (half marathon training plus sprint triathlons, weights twice per week) and a "decent" diet. I say decent because I eat pretty well (modified paleo)but I do allow myself one small sweet treat a day. After some research, I am wondering if my insulin levels are spiking with this treat, which in turn slows down my fat burning ability. I am about to go on a sugar detox diet after Christmas to see if that helps. Any thoughts on the above? FWIW, I am in my mid 40's, 6"2, 215 lbs with high teen body fat %. Thx!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
TheNus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Never did it directly but did a long term Ketogenic diet at 45 total net carbs a day. No room for sugar there. You will probably have headaches cravings and and some irritability for a few days.

That said, unless you are way off the reservation with your modified paleo and your daily treat; which BTW if it's daily it isn't a treat, is excessive I don't think that's your issue. Are you setting yourself up to burn fat with your macros? Another item to consider is your age. You may want to have your estrogen and T levels checked. I wish you the best whatever route you choose.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
antych
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M4 AY

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [5.00]
"one small treat" shouldn't be an issue. I mean, I wouldn't eat it at all, but it should be ok if you can't help it, especially if it's once a day. Although I've heard about American portion sizes, so how small is it? How many g of sugar, carbs and total calories?

There isn't really such a thing as sugar detox, if you mean refined and added sugar. It makes almost no difference if you still feast on fruit and other carb rich foods. Avoiding refined food is good, but you can still get the high insulin response from other food.

What modifications did you do to Paleo? I suspect there are other problems with your diet than one time snacks.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
hau_nguyen91
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB 17 M3

Drink a lot of water and replace sugar with saturated fat / proteins.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
angelr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, mk6 gti

This. I might consume at most 35 grams of total carbs daily, instead lots of fat and protein. You stay lean and your energy levels are much more consistent after you acclimate to it after 2 weeks or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hau_nguyen91 View Post
Drink a lot of water and replace sugar with saturated fat / proteins.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
TheNus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelr View Post
This. I might consume at most 35 grams of total carbs daily, instead lots of fat and protein. You stay lean and your energy levels are much more consistent after you acclimate to it after 2 weeks or so.
OP - This is known as the Ketogenic Diet or simply Keto because you have introduced A state of ketosis. Due to the lack of carbohydrates for use as energy, your body begins to break down fat for energy. The high protein keeps your body from going catabolic which is when your body breaks down muscle for energy. This is the basis for the once popular and effective South Beach Diet. Most articles state that you can easily engage in the runner's lifestyle once you are fully in ketosis.

Just a side note, I have read quite a few articles regarding distance runners who actually gain fat. Many people tend to overdo it in carb loading, running supplements (simple carbs like gatoraid and gummy chews) and post run refeed.
Appreciate 2
      12-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
PlasticinePorter
Rep
Drives: E90

Sugar Detox

Good luck with your sugar detox. I have never made it past a few days with the very low sugar/carbs diets. The cravings always get me and then I relapse big time. I know some people love the Paleo diet, but I don't like the idea that legumes and yogurt are bad for you; if those delicious vegetarian meals I have had at Lebanese and Indian restaurants now count as junk food, then how bad is my usual diet? Like some previous posters have mentioned, I enjoy exercise, but I also enjoy sweets and meals that wouldn't be the same without the carbs. A burger without a bun, OK, but guacamole without chips? My "harm reduction" strategies with sugar are things like filling my snack bowl (when I'm at the computer doing writing gigs) with a mix of nuts and dried fruits or sweets and, even more effective at avoiding sugar intake, drinking beverages that taste like they don't mix well with sweets, such as certain types of tea. I have a cousin who is in a relationship with a chiropractor in Anaheim, CA, and they are super into health food, and they say that my strategies are half-hearted, but I'll stick to my dietary baby steps for now.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #8
yearningirish
Rep
Drives: audi

I have not tried the sugar detox though I have tried 2 detox treatment before.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GTI, E86 Z4 3.0si Racecar

I've drastically cut the amount of sugar I consume about 20 years ago. It was quite difficult at first and the cravings lasted more than a month. Once you kick the habit and stay away for a long time, you can't go back to eating sugar again. I cannot even stomach a sip of soda (I can't eat anything with Nutrasweet as it gives me a headache).
I'm sure you already know the roller-coaster of insulin your body goes through when you eat sugar. When you're getting off sugar, try substituting a piece of fruit and don't eat it on an empty stomach. This should help quite a bit.

I've read articles recently that basically point out that as we age, we just don't have the ability to burn as many calories as when we were younger (present company included). Our metabolism slows no matter what we do.
http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/health...f6d746bc27516d
Try cutting the amount of calories you take in for an entire day. Get off the sugar. If you're having a hard time losing weight then a "once a day treat" is hurting you. I've cut the amount of calories I've taken in over the years. I can see the difference rather quickly in my mid-section.

I concentrate on eating very healthy all the time. I don't eat junk as it just makes me feel terrible (physically). I barely drink alcohol anymore too (I had NO idea how many calories are in even hard liquor).

Basically try this:
Of course, eat a balanced diet
Eat fruit instead of any refined sugar
Snack on nuts such as walnuts or almonds - very good health effects
Eat less calories - cut portions down
Drink lots of water
Make sure you get enough sleep - major problem for wait gain
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...n/faq-20058198

I am 47, 6'1" and 175lbs. I workout 4-5 days a week and cross-train all the time (play ice hockey, volleyball, weight training, off-road running).
I primarily train for Spartan races (sprint, super, beast) and run off road between 8 - 10 miles at a time (will go up to 15+ miles for longer race). Sometimes I carry a 50lb. sandbag for 30 minutes too. I also mix in burpees and other moves to help with my flexibility etc. I've never finished worse than the top 20% of finishers in any of the races I've entered. The last race I finished in the top 10%.
Attached Images

2015 GTI S, 6M, LP, Volk TE37SL 17x8.5, Michelin PSS 245/40, HPA SHS Coil-Overs, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE, Eurocode F/R Sway Bars, SuperPro Control Arms, Remus Catback, APR Stage 1 Tune, APR CAI, Aero Force Gauge Pod, APR Boost Gauge, Kersher Front Lip, Short Shifter, Tyrolsport Deadset, Stoptech BBK, HPA Dogbone
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe - because racecar
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #10
F80Dreamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I've drastically cut the amount of sugar I consume about 20 years ago. It was quite difficult at first and the cravings lasted more than a month. Once you kick the habit and stay away for a long time, you can't go back to eating sugar again. I cannot even stomach a sip of soda (I can't eat anything with Nutrasweet as it gives me a headache).
I'm sure you already know the roller-coaster of insulin your body goes through when you eat sugar. When you're getting off sugar, try substituting a piece of fruit and don't eat it on an empty stomach. This should help quite a bit.

I've read articles recently that basically point out that as we age, we just don't have the ability to burn as many calories as when we were younger (present company included). Our metabolism slows no matter what we do.
http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/health...f6d746bc27516d
Try cutting the amount of calories you take in for an entire day. Get off the sugar. If you're having a hard time losing weight then a "once a day treat" is hurting you. I've cut the amount of calories I've taken in over the years. I can see the difference rather quickly in my mid-section.

I concentrate on eating very healthy all the time. I don't eat junk as it just makes me feel terrible (physically). I barely drink alcohol anymore too (I had NO idea how many calories are in even hard liquor).

Basically try this:
Of course, eat a balanced diet
Eat fruit instead of any refined sugar
Snack on nuts such as walnuts or almonds - very good health effects
Eat less calories - cut portions down
Drink lots of water
Make sure you get enough sleep - major problem for wait gain
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...n/faq-20058198

I am 47, 6'1" and 175lbs. I workout 4-5 days a week and cross-train all the time (play ice hockey, volleyball, weight training, off-road running).
I primarily train for Spartan races (sprint, super, beast) and run off road between 8 - 10 miles at a time (will go up to 15+ miles for longer race). Sometimes I carry a 50lb. sandbag for 30 minutes too. I also mix in burpees and other moves to help with my flexibility etc. I've never finished worse than the top 20% of finishers in any of the races I've entered. The last race I finished in the top 10%.
Thank you for the detailed response! I am 46, 6'2 and around 215...so have a long way to go. I have actually just started a more strict routine and am a week in. Cravings are starting to decrease.
Appreciate 0