F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Head/Tail lamps/corona rings on F30 (DRL, etc)
Steve Thomas BMW

07-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
wolke9
apexlvr
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 VW GTI;335i m-sprt ordrd

Head/Tail lamps/corona rings on F30 (DRL, etc)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Does anybody have pics of the standard defaults for the headlight/corona ring lights on--both DRL's and regular Headlights ON ?? I guess the car has STD DRL's, but is that just the corona rings lit? or will it be the HID's also being lit with them? I really don't want to use the HID's all of the time unless I have to.

When the lights are turned on via the switch, both the headlight rings are lit? along with the headlights, correct?

Also, I've heard that the taillamps are lit w/ DRL's as well--so essentially, they are always on when the car is in motion??

I've read where the DRL's can be coded off--I may end up doing that as I want to be able to choose when the lights are on or off.

Any pics/input would be helpful!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
BMWDude49120
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 X3 35i M Sport

Or, you could simply turn off the DRL's through the iDrive. Pretty simple to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
spark58
Rep

Drives: BMW 320d

With the Xenon lights option it is just the corona rings (angel eyes) which are lit. The rear sidelight are not lit. Only when you select the dipped lights will the headlights and rear sidelights come on.

You previously could select whether or not to have the DRLs on/off in the iDrive but now they are compulsory on all new vehicles in the EU I don't know if this is still possible. It maybe in the N American market but I know the option no longer exist on in the EU market.

I personally wouldn't recommend turning them off as they are a safety feature.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
pcbrew
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

DRL are just the rings and brows, not the HID.
You are in the US, so you can turn DRL on/off via iDrive.

From svache's cheat sheet, you can enable either the inboard or outboard or both tails (LED bars) to be on with DRLs. But, normally tails are not on with DRLs. IMO, DRL are to allow other drivers to see on-coming traffic better, so only needed in front.

2012 F30 335i 6MT - Imperial Blue w/Everest Gray: Sport, Adaptive M, Premium, Tech & Parking Pkgs, Assist, Apps
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
TF30Z
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: BMW 320D F30

Do most people just leave their headlight nob on automatic? And does this mean that DRL activate without HID during the day however after a certain level of lighting the HID activates?

Kind regards.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Elk
Major
Rep

Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz235 View Post
. . . does this mean that DRL activate without HID during the day however after a certain level of lighting the HID activates?
Yes, exactly.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
DrivenByE30
Colonel
France
Rep

Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

DRL = Daytime Running Light...

I drive during day, therefore DRL on .....

pretty simple and straight forward...

I have the rings, might as well use and show off them being on

what's the purpose of a DRL being off ??
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
TF30Z
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: BMW 320D F30

Does anyone know just how much battery DRL uses?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
wolke9
apexlvr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
DRL = Daytime Running Light...

I drive during day, therefore DRL on .....

pretty simple and straight forward...

I have the rings, might as well use and show off them being on

what's the purpose of a DRL being off ??
Purpose of them being off is if the HID's are on, they would burn out faster and would probably need to be replaced beyond the B-to-B warranty. At $800+ a pop--(or more for BMW) I'd rather extend the life by at least 1/2 and not have to worry about it. Knowing that the HID bulbs aren't lit w/ the DRL's on makes it a non-issue at this point as at least I know those part of the lights won't be on. I know they last a while, but just want to extend the life where I can.

Coming from a VW w/ HID's--they are ALWAYS on when the car is on and they tend to burn out at around 70-80k from what I've seen/heard. Just trying to prevent that from happening so soon in this car.

To each his/her own whether they like them or want to use them on or not. My question was mainly whether they are always "on" when the car is running.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
BMWDude49120
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolke9 View Post
Purpose of them being off is if the HID's are on, they would burn out faster and would probably need to be replaced beyond the B-to-B warranty. At $800+ a pop--(or more for BMW) I'd rather extend the life by at least 1/2 and not have to worry about it. Knowing that the HID bulbs aren't lit w/ the DRL's on makes it a non-issue at this point as at least I know those part of the lights won't be on. I know they last a while, but just want to extend the life where I can.

Coming from a VW w/ HID's--they are ALWAYS on when the car is on and they tend to burn out at around 70-80k from what I've seen/heard. Just trying to prevent that from happening so soon in this car.

To each his/her own whether they like them or want to use them on or not. My question was mainly whether they are always "on" when the car is running.
"At $800+ dollars a pop"... What are you talking about? You know you can just replace the HID bulb when it burns out, right? You don't have to purchase a whole new headlight. The bulb is only ~$100.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
wolke9
apexlvr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
"At $800+ dollars a pop"... What are you talking about? You know you can just replace the HID bulb when it burns out, right? You don't have to purchase a whole new headlight. The bulb is only ~$100.
No I did not know that--as I've never had to replace one of them. I stand corrected. I checked BMWOEM website and they list for $212.xx. Maybe I was quoted w/ the entire headlight assembly--who knows.

This makes it easier to handle $$$-wise if the burn out, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Elk
Major
Rep

Drives: 2012 335i

I do not know which bulb the F30 uses, but previous 3 series use a standard size HID-D1S bulb you can find for well less than $100 for a name brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
ric124
Lieutenant Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Drives: F30 335i SP 6MT

Garage List
DRL

DRL with Fogs

Headlights with Fogs
      07-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
Teefaf
'sup?
Scotland
Rep

Drives: 320i xDrive MSport

Thanks for the pics - they were much needed!

So am I right in thinking that with the Xenons, there are no LED DRLs? Or have I missed something?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
wolke9
apexlvr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
DRL

DRL with Fogs

Headlights with Fogs
Yes, A second "thank you" for the photos. It is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
NO L1M1T
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolke9 View Post

I am under the impression that the DRL's are always on even with the HID's. I usually run my auto switch at off because the HID's activate way to soon for my liking. When I do set it to auto the DRL's are always on, when the HID's come on the DRL's (rings) stay on along with the HID's. That is typical BMW style.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #17
DrivenByE30
Colonel
France
Rep

Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz235 View Post
Does anyone know just how much battery DRL uses?
I am really not sure why you guys all making such a big deal out of this DRL ??

puss ??

Your F30s are no Ford Model T ....

why would you worry about battery usage due to DRL ??
you know that the Alternator is recharging the battery as you drive and use your car right ??? so there is "no loss" ....

Further more,

The DRL can be turned off from the i-drive.

If you Turn it off:
there is no DRL whenever you have it on AUTO during the day.

But the DRL will be on as soon as you turn the switch to "Parking Light"
or use the HIDs...

it's really not magic...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
ric124
Lieutenant Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Drives: F30 335i SP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teefaf View Post
Thanks for the pics - they were much needed!

So am I right in thinking that with the Xenons, there are no LED DRLs? Or have I missed something?
The DRL's are LED's no need to worry about burning out, they prob last a life time.

The xenons (H.I.D) should also last a long time. My Gti Xenons lasted over 5 years could be longer but traded it in for this.

So just leave the car lights in Auto and save yourself that stress. Also make sure nothing is on the right of the rear view mirror because that will cause the lights to come on earlier than needed.
      04-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #19
mattryan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quick question for you guys... on the F30 does the LED brow match the AE's exactly or are the AE's a big bluer and the brow is a bit whiter?
2012 135i | Alpine White | Coral Red | Aluminum Glacier Silver | Premium Package | Executive Package | Premium Sound Package | Navigation | DCT | Performance 313's | FormulaOne Pinnacle 15% | LUX V4's
Appreciate 0