F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > M sport side skirt rattle

05-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
jtskariah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

M sport side skirt rattle

Hey everyone,

I will be installing the M sport side skirts in a few days and I have heard alot about the potential rattle it can cause. I have the bimmertech amp and the ghost subs so my bass is pretty loud. I have read that 3m tape can do the trick to solve the issue. I am wondering if this 3m tape will be noticible from the outside of the car or make the gap and fitment between the car and the skirts bigger. I want the install to look clean and flush like OEM fitment. Also if you guys think its a good idea what exact kind of 3m tape should i use? Install is in a few days so all your opinions are valued!

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
scostu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

I've had no rattle.
3M tape is thin so skirts are flush with no gaps.

I ordered from Selma on ebay and fitment was great.

Retired:2013 Audi Q5 3.0T,
2013 Jeep WK2..Hemi, 2011 E90, 2008 E70, 2004 E46
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport 6MT

Are you putting the skirts on yourself? I'm taking mine off one of these days to install the extensions. I'm going to try and eliminate the buzz. There are thin 3M tapes that should be able to fit in the gap "further in" that you wont see from the outside. Most people get the vibration...at least with the OEM MSport skirts. Push the volume on a bass heavy song, feel the skirts and listen from the outside. They are attached at the bottom with screws and with tabs along the top. You just need to tighten up the top a bit. Might only require a couple pieces of tape spaced out in the middle.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
jtskariah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

The skirts are at the shop getting painted at the moment. I am getting them installed by a BMW collision center in 3 days. I will get some 3m tape for them to put in between the gap to try to prevent rattling. I found some 3m friction tape but can't seem to track down any felt tape. Also do you guys know if I need to buy new brackets for the install? From what BMW told me, the old screws and clips from the non M sport side skirts can be re used for the new ones, but I was reading on the forums the old clips will break on removal.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
IndotagSwizz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtskariah
The skirts are at the shop getting painted at the moment. I am getting them installed by a BMW collision center in 3 days. I will get some 3m tape for them to put in between the gap to try to prevent rattling. I found some 3m friction tape but can't seem to track down any felt tape. Also do you guys know if I need to buy new brackets for the install? From what BMW told me, the old screws and clips from the non M sport side skirts can be re used for the new ones, but I was reading on the forums the old clips will break on removal.
Everyone here re used the clips with no problem at all, if taken out appropriately and with the correct tool you, or the installers should have no issues at all, 30min max to remove the old skirts and install the new ones
      08-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #6
RoarinRow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Glacier Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtskariah View Post
Hey everyone,

I will be installing the M sport side skirts in a few days and I have heard alot about the potential rattle it can cause. I have the bimmertech amp and the ghost subs so my bass is pretty loud. I have read that 3m tape can do the trick to solve the issue. I am wondering if this 3m tape will be noticible from the outside of the car or make the gap and fitment between the car and the skirts bigger. I want the install to look clean and flush like OEM fitment. Also if you guys think its a good idea what exact kind of 3m tape should i use? Install is in a few days so all your opinions are valued!

Thank you!
I have the same set up with the Bimmer-Tech amp and Ghost Subs and rattle on the driver's side skirt, which I notice is loose towards the back where when I pull it out there is a clip of some sort that is not attached and flush. Where did you end up putting the 3M tape and how?

Thanks!
2012 328i Sedan - Glacier Silver - 18" Toyo Tires with Nürburgring Metal Grey Rims, H&R Sport Springs, GIAC Tune, VRSF Intercooler, aFe Air Filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Carbon Fiber accents, SS Pedals, Bavsound System, BMW CCA member since 2015. First Bimmer - 2000 Z3 M
Appreciate 0