F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 320i in Canada
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
E92LNGCGY
Major
 
Drives: F82/F25
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (0)

F30 320i in Canada

Does anyone have info on the 320 that will be available in Spring? From what I've heard it will use the same N20 with about 180hp. Fuel consumption is 5.9L per 100km and starting price of $35,900. I'm glad the 320 name is back and hopefully an IS version as well.
E92LNGCGY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Yes, the 320i uses the N20, same as X1 20i and Z4 20i
184hp

X1 20i gets 5.9L/100km and 0-100km/h in 7.4s
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job

Last edited by E90Fleet; 02-16-2012 at 06:44 AM.
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
E92LNGCGY
Major
 
Drives: F82/F25
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (0)

Thanks. This is going to be a great engine. I'm glad the 320 is coming. Who needs a hybrid when you can have a 320.
E92LNGCGY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
bosz
Captain
 
bosz's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i Ordered
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: toronto

Posts: 702
iTrader: (0)

And now xenon and navigation are an option in the 320i.

if its software limiting the power, is there anyway to hack the software then?
__________________
**JB Stage 1** 2012 F30 335i/BSM/Coral Red Interior/Diamond Black Trim/Premium Pack/BMW Apps/Ext Blue Tooth/Sirius XM/Sport Auto W/Paddle Shifters/Sport Suspension/Meisterschaft Super GT Exhaust
bosz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
E92LNGCGY
Major
 
Drives: F82/F25
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
And now xenon and navigation are an option in the 320i.

if its software limiting the power, is there anyway to hack the software then?
Really? That I didn't know. The 320 will be a great entry level BMW.

I'm sure there's a way to get more out of the motor. Those crazy European tuners has a tune with 294hp and 310 tq out of a N20.
E92LNGCGY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
bosz
Captain
 
bosz's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i Ordered
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: toronto

Posts: 702
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Really? That I didn't know. The 320 will be a great entry level BMW.

I'm sure there's a way to get more out of the motor. Those crazy European tuners has a tune with 294hp and 310 tq out of a N20.
Here are the detailed packaging and pricing for canada: http://tcbmw.blogspot.com/2012/01/pa...012-bmw-3.html
bosz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
pokerface
Lieutenant Colonel
 
pokerface's Avatar
 
Drives: B8 A4 2.0T
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,684
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post

Its actually the exact same engine as the 328i uses. Software does the power limiting


Thanks for the details. Curious to know why Kelleners reported a different output for modified x20i vs the x28i.. 220hp post-tune vs 294hp post-tune with the ECU on the x28i

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...ght=n20+tuning

If it was software limited then would the output on both not expected to be the same after an "unlock"?

E92LNGCGY - I was told that the 320i starts March production and the earliest it would be available to look at would be end of March or early April. I am curious if it's proportionally underrated like the 328i is.
pokerface is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
 
Maz335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Posts: 3,196
iTrader: (0)

Guys I tried getting an answer to this before:

Does anyone know if we can choose "Lines" for the 320i? For example: Can I go for the 320i with the Sport Line?

I know this is available in the UK but I'm not sure about Canada...
Maz335i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
bosz
Captain
 
bosz's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i Ordered
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: toronto

Posts: 702
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Guys I tried getting an answer to this before:

Does anyone know if we can choose "Lines" for the 320i? For example: Can I go for the 320i with the Sport Line?

I know this is available in the UK but I'm not sure about Canada...
no lines. Its going to be plain vanilla!
bosz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Software does the power limiting
I think there are some internal differences. For a start, the engine model code is different (N20B20 vs N20A20), some engine parts are different (e.g. different part #'s for the turbo, engine block etc.), & they have different compression ratios.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #11
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
I think there are some internal differences. For a start, the engine model code is different (N20B20 vs N20A20), some engine parts are different (e.g. different part #'s for the turbo, engine block etc.), & they have different compression ratios.
Look at the latest parts system updates
The X1 20i and Z4 20i engines changed from December 2011 to the N20 used in the 328i. Exact same part number and parts.

Earlier engines were different
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #12
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Thanks for the details. Curious to know why Kelleners reported a different output for modified x20i vs the x28i.. 220hp post-tune vs 294hp post-tune with the ECU on the x28i

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...ght=n20+tuning

If it was software limited then would the output on both not expected to be the same after an "unlock"?

E92LNGCGY - I was told that the 320i starts March production and the earliest it would be available to look at would be end of March or early April. I am curious if it's proportionally underrated like the 328i is.
Those figures would be for the engines before the December 2011 change
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2012, 04:23 AM   #13
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Look at the latest parts system updates
The X1 20i and Z4 20i engines changed from December 2011 to the N20 used in the 328i. Exact same part number and parts.

Earlier engines were different

How abt compression ratios? Yes, the X1 20i & 28i both have 10:1, but 320i/520i & 328i/528i still have 11:1 vs 10:1.
According to ETK 2/2012, 1/2012 production 520i & 528i still use different blocks unless for low compression markets.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 8,047
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
How abt compression ratios? Yes, the X1 20i & 28i both have 10:1, but 320i/520i & 328i/528i still have 11:1 vs 10:1.
According to ETK 2/2012, 1/2012 production 520i & 528i still use different blocks unless for low compression markets.
As you mention there is a normal and a low compression version depending on country options.
And some countries get different turbo chargers.

We will have to wait and see what version makes it to each country before we can make absolute comparisons.
All the info is not available yet and some has changed recently.

Different BMW models will also change engines at different times.
Lets wait and see
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
 
Maz335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Posts: 3,196
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Guys I tried getting an answer to this before:

Does anyone know if we can choose "Lines" for the 320i? For example: Can I go for the 320i with the Sport Line?

I know this is available in the UK but I'm not sure about Canada...
no lines. Its going to be plain vanilla!
Oh man!

How would the new 3er look like without a line? Wonder if it'll look anything like the ones we've been seeing...
__________________
MODS: *** / M Sport + Performance / Meisterschaft / Challenge / MORR / more to come! ***
Maz335i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
E92LNGCGY
Major
 
Drives: F82/F25
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Oh man!

How would the new 3er look like without a line? Wonder if it'll look anything like the ones we've been seeing...
Maybe it'll look like a base model F30 sold in Europe? In other words not the best looking F30.
E92LNGCGY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
bosz
Captain
 
bosz's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i Ordered
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: toronto

Posts: 702
iTrader: (0)

All it needs are nice 18" or 19" rims. And maybe a nicer grill down the road when aftermarket parts become more available.
bosz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
E92LNGCGY
Major
 
Drives: F82/F25
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (0)

The 320 can be configured on BMW.ca now.
E92LNGCGY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #19
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
 
Maz335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Posts: 3,196
iTrader: (0)

I don't know I always have problems accessing the bmw.ca configuration from my mac book pro. Tried finding a solution but no luck.

Let me try and get it done on my brother's laptop. I just want to see if the F30 320i looks any good. $35,900 is not bad at all for a starting price here in Canada plus we can get xenons, premium package and navigation.

Get some nice 19in rims, a carbon spoiler and the car is rolling!
Maz335i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #20
pokerface
Lieutenant Colonel
 
pokerface's Avatar
 
Drives: B8 A4 2.0T
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,684
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Oh man!

How would the new 3er look like without a line? Wonder if it'll look anything like the ones we've been seeing...
looks like the exterior differences are in the wheels and the lack of garnish in the front foglamp area.
pokerface is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #21
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
 
Maz335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Posts: 3,196
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Oh man!

How would the new 3er look like without a line? Wonder if it'll look anything like the ones we've been seeing...
looks like the exterior differences are in the wheels and the lack of garnish in the front foglamp area.
I think you're right.

I have a feeling I came across a picture of it and it looked slightly different. I think the 320i will look like the one on the online configurator when you choose a 328i with no lines; any suggestions?
__________________
MODS: *** / M Sport + Performance / Meisterschaft / Challenge / MORR / more to come! ***
Maz335i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #22
walile
Private
 
Drives: F30 coming soon
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)

Unfortunately the 320i in Canada cannot be configured with leather interior or sports seat.
walile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST