F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Non-Nav / HiFi System Equalizer ?
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Can258
Private First Class
 
Can258's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 & E53
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Turkey

Posts: 150
iTrader: (0)

Non-Nav / HiFi System Equalizer ?

I didn't get HarmanKardon and Navigation. I'm wondering does the HiFi system have Equalizer settings ? Or does it only have treble,bass,balance,fader ?

Thanks,
Can258 is offline   Turkey
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
wdlv
First Lieutenant
 
wdlv's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line GS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 364
iTrader: (0)

No, you won't have access to the equalizer. This was the same for the e90s, the only way to get access is to upgrade to the Harman Kardon system.

In my opinion, using only bass, treble and fader is very limiting and the sound rendered is typically flat. When I had the HK system in my 06, using the equalizer you can optimize the sound any which way and the sound is great! Sorry.

You may be able to do some sound optimization via your music player before it passes through the BMW aux.
wdlv is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
Junction17
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: F30 320i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern Scotland

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlv View Post
No, you won't have access to the equalizer. This was the same for the e90s, the only way to get access is to upgrade to the Harman Kardon system.

In my opinion, using only bass, treble and fader is very limiting and the sound rendered is typically flat. When I had the HK system in my 06, using the equalizer you can optimize the sound any which way and the sound is great! Sorry.

You may be able to do some sound optimization via your music player before it passes through the BMW aux.
Erm...I'm not so sure on that. I'm getting the hifi option with 205w amp and nine speakers. I'm sure I read somewhere that this has equaliser settings. I thought this was what the dealer said when I consider the options. My car arrives next week. I'll let you know when I get it. Previous poster could well be right though...
Junction17 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
Can258
Private First Class
 
Can258's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 & E53
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Turkey

Posts: 150
iTrader: (0)

I am also getting the same option Hifi 205w amp 9 speakers. I am trying to find out if it has equalizer. It would be awesome if you can let me know when your car arrives
Can258 is offline   Turkey
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
rohms3
Lieutenant
 
rohms3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 523
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junction17 View Post
Erm...I'm not so sure on that. I'm getting the hifi option with 205w amp and nine speakers. I'm sure I read somewhere that this has equaliser settings. I thought this was what the dealer said when I consider the options. My car arrives next week. I'll let you know when I get it. Previous poster could well be right though...
I can verify it doesn't have the equalizer. The system is pretty good for the base (in US). It's not as good as the HK I had in my e92, but its plenty for me.
rohms3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Feanor
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Hmm. I'm planning to get the H/K option and the fact that equaliser settings are offered, and necessary, doesn't fill me with confidence. You shouldn't need to fiddle with the equaliser settings on a truely high-end hifi system to make it sound good - in fact you can usually tell a truely good home hifi amp because it won't have equaliser options on it.

If H/K have done their job properly the best equaliser settings should be the default ones.
Feanor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
wdlv
First Lieutenant
 
wdlv's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line GS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 364
iTrader: (0)

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Hmm. I'm planning to get the H/K option and the fact that equaliser settings are offered, and necessary, doesn't fill me with confidence. You shouldn't need to fiddle with the equaliser settings on a truely high-end hifi system to make it sound good - in fact you can usually tell a truely good home hifi amp because it won't have equaliser options on it.

If H/K have done their job properly the best equaliser settings should be the default ones.
Feanor
Congratulations on choosing the HK sound option, my comment was not meant to alarm anyone, what I was saying is the the default sound out of the HK system is phenomenal. However, if you are listening to a particular track that you think needs tweaking you can do so via the equalizer that is so much more powerful than just Bass/Treble adjustments.

I can attest to this from my e90 experiences, I had the HK option on my 06 330i but did not get it on my 10 328i. I know that for that particular year there were other issues going on (such as not having a dedicated amplifier, etc.) but I could definitely hear the differences. I knew that I would be upgrading to a new car so, I didn't let it bother me. Having said that I have heard much better reviews of the HiFi systems of late so, owners should be fine with that choice.

To continue with the earlier thought, the equalizer is particularly excellent for channeling more bass, specifically from the subwoofers (you cannot do this with merely Bass/Treble) furthermore, midrange adjustments are great if you need them). My personal experience was that I almost never touched the equalizer since on the HK system it wasn't really necessary since you get so much more range with true tweeter speakers, midrange speakers and lowrange subwoofers.
wdlv is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Feanor
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Ahh OK - thanks for the reassurance!
Feanor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
PrinceBarin
Major
 
Drives: 430D
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK

Posts: 1,261
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor
Hmm. I'm planning to get the H/K option and the fact that equaliser settings are offered, and necessary, doesn't fill me with confidence. You shouldn't need to fiddle with the equaliser settings on a truely high-end hifi system to make it sound good - in fact you can usually tell a truely good home hifi amp because it won't have equaliser options on it.

If H/K have done their job properly the best equaliser settings should be the default ones.
I couldn't agree more, at least from a pure audiophile's perspective.

However, I suspect many people (I'm one of them) like to manipulate the sound of certain tunes when it comes to listening in the car!
PrinceBarin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Junction17
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: F30 320i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern Scotland

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
I can verify it doesn't have the equalizer. The system is pretty good for the base (in US). It's not as good as the HK I had in my e92, but its plenty for me.
Thanks for letting me know. When I get the car next Wednesday, I'll post my thoughts on the HiFi option.
Junction17 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
npgatech
Private First Class
 
npgatech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 169
iTrader: (0)

IMHO, I always leave the equalizer flat because I prefer listening to the recording as it was meant. Same thing at home on my Denon/KEF setup. It blows my mind, especially in home theater systems, when people spend thousands of dollars on precision speakers and then screw it up with an equalizer or a "Music/Movie/Theater" setting in their AV boxes.
npgatech is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST