F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Worth it??
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
GB72
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport Melbourne red
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: uk

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

Worth it??

If I put some eibach or similar springs on my 335i M sport would there be a marked difference in appearance and handling?
GB72 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

Posts: 3,552
iTrader: (3)

Yes. More so then the visual difference between x drive and RWD as that is 10 or 20mm, I forget, and Eibachs a more like 25mms.

You will notice a handling improvement.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned
 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Yes. More so then the visual difference between x drive and RWD as that is 10 or 20mm, I forget, and Eibachs a more like 25mms.

You will notice a handling improvement.
With just springs i dont know about better handling, maybe for a bit but you will eventually blow the shock. So in short, no.
pkimM3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

Posts: 3,552
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
With just springs i dont know about better handling, maybe for a bit but you will eventually blow the shock. So in short, no.
My CC had Eibachs on the stock struts and there was a reduction in floatyness and pitch and roll. Not as drastic as upgrading sway bars, but noticeable.

I also did Eibachs on my 300zx with stock struts. Every other car I did the struts at the same time.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
pkimM3r
Banned
 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
With just springs i dont know about better handling, maybe for a bit but you will eventually blow the shock. So in short, no.
My CC had Eibachs on the stock struts and there was a reduction in floatyness and pitch and roll. Not as drastic as upgrading sway bars, but noticeable.

I also did Eibachs on my 300zx with stock struts. Every other car I did the struts at the same time.
On street yes but tracking wouldnt it feel strange? I put swifts on my evo and it was actually crappy so switched to hks coils bout a month later
pkimM3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

Posts: 3,552
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
On street yes but tracking wouldnt it feel strange? I put swifts on my evo and it was actually crappy so switched to hks coils bout a month later
The OP is not asking in regards to track use.

It depends on the spring. You can get away with Eibachs and HR Sports with stock struts. More aggressive lowering like HR Super Sports, even HR does not recommend them to be used in conjunction with stock struts.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
The OP is not asking in regards to track use.

It depends on the spring. You can get away with Eibachs and HR Sports with stock struts. More aggressive lowering like HR Super Sports, even HR does not recommend them to be used in conjunction with stock struts.
I think at comfortable street driving you can get away with it but what if the dude takes real hard turns on the street as if he were on the track? I personally would never put just springs on. I mean BMW engineers the springs rates with the shock it goes with. If you are nowhere near the limts how would one know what the true handling capabilities are in stock form? Less body roll from springs is just a false sense of better handling.

To each his own though.
pkimM3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

Posts: 3,552
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I think at comfortable street driving you can get away with it but what if the dude takes real hard turns on the street as if he were on the track? I personally would never put just springs on. I mean BMW engineers the springs rates with the shock it goes with. If you are nowhere near the limts how would one know what the true handling capabilities are in stock form? Less body roll from springs is just a false sense of better handling.

To each his own though.
I am speaking from 15 years of modifying a variety of cars.

I have never had a bad experience with modest drops on stock struts on the street or the few time I autox'd those cars. The only bad experience I ever had was Intrax, I was 16 and they lowered more than any other spring. They killed my Konis. But, Koni rebuilt the struts, custom valved to match my new Eibachs in fact.

Springs that are more aggressive can prematurely kill stock struts fairly quick. Also each car, the stiffness and build quality of the stock strut has an impact as to its ability to handle the aftermarket springs. I.e. I would trust the f30 sport to last longer and handle better than the base struts to handle the after market springs.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
pkimM3r
Banned
 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I am speaking from 15 years of modifying a variety of cars.

I have never had a bad experience with modest drops on stock struts on the street or the few time I autox'd those cars. The only bad experience I ever had was Intrax, I was 16 and they lowered more than any other spring. They killed my Konis. But, Koni rebuilt the struts, custom valved to match my new Eibachs in fact.

Springs that are more aggressive can prematurely kill stock struts fairly quick. Also each car, the stiffness and build quality of the stock strut has an impact as to its ability to handle the aftermarket springs. I.e. I would trust the f30 sport to last longer and handle better than the base struts to handle the after market springs.
im not trying to argue but you have only done this to 2 of your cars (and one has failed). And, I too have been doing this for over 15 years.

If one can't drive a stock car to the limits, the springs will not help that person's driving at all.

OP - it is your car and you can do what you want to it. Don't be surprised if your body roll improves (lessens) but your overall performance drops. lol.
pkimM3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

Posts: 3,552
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
im not trying to argue but you have only done this to 2 of your cars (and one has failed). And, I too have been doing this for over 15 years.

If one can't drive a stock car to the limits, the springs will not help that person's driving at all.

OP - it is your car and you can do what you want to it. Don't be surprised if your body roll improves (lessens) but your overall performance drops. lol.
No, I said I did this(Eibachs on stock struts) twice. The instance with the failed Konis was another car, obviously a different scenario as Konis are not stock

The Z32 was a sports car, it took the Eibachs like a champ and for years. The CC was german, a bit firm, but not a sports car in any shape.

Eibachs are a forgiving street modification. There are more aggressive options out there that I would not recommend with stock struts.

That's it-that is all I am saying.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST