F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New C&D sports sedan compare (F30 vs A4, G25, C260, S60)
TAG Motorsports
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #67
ATX78703
Major
 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

All this talk about tires, i was looking at the pix of that concept M135i and it has Michelin PSS's... freakin awesome.
__________________
2014 335i RWD: ZMM, ZDA, ZDH, ZPP, ZTP, 2NH, 2TB, 5DL; Z4A MPPK; AW ext / VB int

2014 ML350: P01, R33, 297, 319, 846, 864, 889, 996; LB ext / AB int
ATX78703 is offline  
0
      04-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #68
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
The E90's steering is sooooo different from any other sedan on the market. I remember the first time I drove one I thought the power steering wasn't working properly, because it was so heavy. It is also extremely precise. I can't speak much for feedback, because the only E90s that I have driven were dealership loaner cars, so it was just on smooth boulevard type roads.

I agree that the E90 steering is heavy, but the steering in my wife's first generation TSX is not THAT much lighter. It's not quite as precise, but it still is a very nicely engineered, honest feeling unit. And my tiny Asian wife has no issue with the steering weight of either car, so I don't quite get why some of you big American guys complain about parking lot maneuvers.
Propagator is offline  
0
      04-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #69
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel
 
bimmerjph's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
I agree that the E90 steering is heavy, but the steering in my wife's first generation TSX is not THAT much lighter. It's not quite as precise, but it still is a very nicely engineered, honest feeling unit. And my tiny Asian wife has no issue with the steering weight of either car, so I don't quite get why some of you big American guys complain about parking lot maneuvers.
No, I am not complaining. I love the E90's steering. I just hadn't ever driven a car with heavy steering before then.
bimmerjph is offline   United_States
0
      04-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #70
sle39lvr
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 328i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 525
iTrader: (3)

My verdict on 3 series:
Starting with the E30, it keeps getting bland with every generation. E90 still had some magic left. After that, most of it is gone...
sle39lvr is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #71
Adriansideways
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pretoria

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Dissagree although electric steering is not ideal for feel you get used to it. The neutral handling and balance is more important to the caracter of the car. Its the best 3 yet IMO! A pearler of a gearbox espesially the auto!
Adriansideways is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #72
Adriansideways
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pretoria

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

The best steering feel you will get is from a P 911, and even that in its latest incarnation gets electric steering!
Adriansideways is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #73
asus389
Lieutenant
 
asus389's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan

Posts: 475
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Did anyone ever see C&D complain about the tires on the e90? I don't think I ever did. It makes me wonder because the tires on the e90 were pretty awful, especially in the first couple years. Noisy, vibration, uneven wear, hard as rocks.. etc. Maybe they just don't have the test cars long enough for these issues to become apparent.
asus389 is offline   United_States
0
      04-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #74
Bowser330
Captain
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Socal

Posts: 800
iTrader: (0)

Do you guys think there are enough people who buy mods to warrant an article on a comparison of cars with 2000$, the big mags won't do it but maybe a smaller one would?

Reason is I don't care if the oem tires are shitty I'm buying new tires anyway, also I would like to compare the cars tuned. BMS already had a preliminary tune for the N20, I want to know how that accelerates past a tuned A4 or S60 or C250....anyone else?
Bowser330 is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #75
Michael Schott
Major
 
Drives: 2011 328i sedan
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Posts: 1,454
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asus389 View Post
Did anyone ever see C&D complain about the tires on the e90? I don't think I ever did. It makes me wonder because the tires on the e90 were pretty awful, especially in the first couple years. Noisy, vibration, uneven wear, hard as rocks.. etc. Maybe they just don't have the test cars long enough for these issues to become apparent.
Car and Driver has complained a number of times about RFT's on BMW's including the e90.
Michael Schott is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #76
E90 Skye
Lieutenant
 
E90 Skye's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i Jet Black
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, Texas

Posts: 475
iTrader: (1)

tires make such a big difference that I'm fairly certain this F30 will perform much better if setup with similar summer max performance tires as some of the other cars in this test had, or heck even with a set of the RE050A's that used to come with the E90 would increase the performance margin, especially road feel/braking.
The difference between an average all-season tire and a decent max summer tire is staggering. transformed my e90 just as much as changing my suspension bits did.
__________________
2006 Jet Black 330i | Premium Package | ZF AT | LUX 4.0 | Jlevi M3 Front Bumper | CF Mtech spoiler | Gloss Black Grill | Msport wheel | Blacklines | Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit | BMS PBX
E90 Skye is offline   United_States
0
      04-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #77
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,508
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
It's annoying that BMW is fitting those crappy all-season tires. Still, it sounds like essentially all their gripes with the car are due to the tires. They even said the 335i they drove earlier had sportier tires and (as a result, apparently) better steering feel.

They fitted all season tires on the E90 328i as well, at least so long as one didn't choose the M-Sport Package, or the Sport Package and elect performance tires.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
      04-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #78
sali
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2014 Jaguar FType V8S BMW535i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 127
iTrader: (0)

When I was shopping for car in 2008, I drove 328i, A4, C350 and G35.

My final two were G35 and 328i. I did another test drive and ended with up 328i due to the heavy/direct steering feedback even though the Infiniti had more toys for the buck.

BMW should have offered hydraulic steering in sports line version but instead decided to cut production costs by having all electric steering and become new "Lexus".
sali is offline   United_States
0
      04-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #79
Michael Schott
Major
 
Drives: 2011 328i sedan
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Posts: 1,454
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sali View Post
When I was shopping for car in 2008, I drove 328i, A4, C350 and G35.

My final two were G35 and 328i. I did another test drive and ended with up 328i due to the heavy/direct steering feedback even though the Infiniti had more toys for the buck.

BMW should have offered hydraulic steering in sports line version but instead decided to cut production costs by having all electric steering and become new "Lexus".
The new "Lexus"? C'mon. BMW can't do as you ask because the EPS is an element of the corporate fuel economy measurements that they need.
Michael Schott is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #80
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,998
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sali View Post
When I was shopping for car in 2008, I drove 328i, A4, C350 and G35.

My final two were G35 and 328i. I did another test drive and ended with up 328i due to the heavy/direct steering feedback even though the Infiniti had more toys for the buck.

BMW should have offered hydraulic steering in sports line version but instead decided to cut production costs by having all electric steering and become new "Lexus".
what? even bmw's eps shits on lexus's...lexus eps is made for old women...
have you ever driven a lexus?
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #81
sali
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2014 Jaguar FType V8S BMW535i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
what? even bmw's eps shits on lexus's...lexus eps is made for old women...
have you ever driven a lexus?
Maybe the old Lexus but the new GS350 eps pissed over the new 535i with sports package in terms of feedback and driving fun inspite of being a better looking car than the Lexus.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...luxury_sedans/
sali is offline   United_States
0
      04-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #82
Michael Schott
Major
 
Drives: 2011 328i sedan
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Posts: 1,454
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sali View Post
Maybe the old Lexus but the new GS350 eps pissed over the new 535i with sports package in terms of feedback and driving fun inspite of being a better looking car than the Lexus.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...luxury_sedans/

So it would be good if BMW moved in the Lexus direction.
Michael Schott is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #83
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,998
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sali View Post
Maybe the old Lexus but the new GS350 eps pissed over the new 535i with sports package in terms of feedback and driving fun inspite of being a better looking car than the Lexus.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...luxury_sedans/
Sorry but i dont read to much into someone elses opinion when it comes to steering feel, i have to drive it my self, and i will say i have yet to drive the new gs
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #84
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sali View Post
Maybe the old Lexus but the new GS350 eps pissed over the new 535i with sports package in terms of feedback and driving fun inspite of being a better looking car than the Lexus.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...luxury_sedans/
I have a sneaking suspicion that Motortrend doesn't really know what they are talking about when it comes to steering.

They said the F30 had the "best" steering among the competitors. Then they called the steering in the F10 "engaging". In the same test, they said the Lexus had a "balanced, communicative, properly weighted" steering.

All of these are pretty much the opposite of what C&D said about these cars. So who's right? I don't know, but I personally find it hard to believe that after all the complaints, not just from mags but also from the actual owners, the F10 has an "engaging" steering. Furthermore, I find it very hard to believe that after decades of making the most wooden and lifeless steering system, Toyota suddenly figured out a way to make a truly communicative EPS system.

I do like the new GS, however.
Propagator is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #85
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,998
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that Motortrend doesn't really know what they are talking about when it comes to steering.

They said the F30 had the "best" steering among the competitors. Then they called the steering in the F10 "engaging". In the same test, they said the Lexus had a "balanced, communicative, properly weighted" steering.

All of these are pretty much the opposite of what C&D said about these cars. So who's right? I don't know, but I personally find it hard to believe that after all the complaints, not just from mags but also from the actual owners, the F10 has an "engaging" steering. Furthermore, I find it very hard to believe that after decades of making the most wooden and lifeless steering system, Toyota suddenly figured out a way to make a truly communicative EPS system.

I do like the new GS, however.
the f30 does have the best steering among the compoetition, might not be as good as the e90 was but its still better than C class, a4, IS, G....
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #86
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
the f30 does have the best steering among the compoetition, might not be as good as the e90 was but its still better than C class, a4, IS, G....
Yes, you might be right, although C&D preferred the G on steering.

I still find it a bit suspect that the GS has such a great steering. It's certainly a far cry from C&D's assessment, which was, "Memo to Lexus: Round up GS steering engineers; reassign all to corporate carwash duty."

At the very least this reminds me how subjective all this talk about steering is. I guess the reason that I tend to trust C&D on this is because their opinion on steering has proven to be very similar to my own preference in the past. But again, that is very subjective.
Propagator is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #87
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area, California

Posts: 1,531
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
I hope BMW is listening to all these numb steering complaints, they are coming from everyone. Hopefully a steering update will come soon similar to the 2000-2001 E46 3 series update.
+1!

I have to agree with you on that one!
__________________

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
e92_m3 is offline  
0
      04-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #88
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
+1!

I have to agree with you on that one!
In fact, it would be interesting to find out what percentage of those F30 owners who also owned an E90 would prefer to have an E90-esque hydraulic steering on their F30 over the current EPS. Would it be more than half?
Propagator is offline  
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST