F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Test Drive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
xDrive35i's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
1,784
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan S
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Test Drive

I test drove the new 328i Luxury (they had a Modern on showroom floor but no Sport) this weekend at Perillo BMW in Chicago. I've a lot more to say, but I'll keep it short.

The four cylinder is, unfortunately, nowhere near as sonorous as the I6 N52 we know and love and I'm definitely sad to see it go. It grumbles more than it growls and only past 3000 rpm does it start to sound good. For a car that is geared towards efficiency, I'd be driving it in manual all the time to keep the sound going.

Power delivery is surprisingly immediate. Seat-of-the-pants calculations say this engine is dramatically superior to the N52, though it's not as excited or nervous as the I6. The ride was absolutely amazing and the standard Driving Experience Control switch gives the car the extra oomph to keep you engaged.

No rattles or squeaks. No cabin shudder over potholes. This car is a step up for sure. And the steering is easy but delightfully direct. The car goes where it should.
Attached Images
      
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
PrinceBarin
Major
18
Rep
1,279
Posts

Drives: 430D
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for sharing. Have you lined up a test drive in the Sport? Would be great to see how they compare. Presumably you are a little way off ordering?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
wdlv
First Lieutenant
wdlv's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
364
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line GS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

Great write up. Unfortunately, I never test drove the 328i, I always knew I wanted the 335i.

On a side note, is the Perillo guy related to the Perillo Italian Tours guy? Would be funny if he is.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
xDrive35i's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
1,784
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan S
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlv
Great write up. Unfortunately, I never test drove the 328i, I always knew I wanted the 335i.

On a side note, is the Perillo guy related to the Perillo Italian Tours guy? Would be funny if he is.
I don't believe so...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
xDrive35i's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
1,784
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan S
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin
Thanks for sharing. Have you lined up a test drive in the Sport? Would be great to see how they compare. Presumably you are a little way off ordering?
I'm not in the market I'm just interested in the evolution of the BMW lineup. I took delivery of my F25 X3 last August so it'll be a while before I get into a new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
63
Rep
2,141
Posts

Drives: Mineral/Glacier White
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

I also test drove the 328i modern with sports auto transmission at the launch 2 weeks ago and I was extremely surprised..
The power delivery is instant and the car just wanted to surge onward! It's such a sweet feeling when you floor it!
The gear changes are almost imperceptible, it's crazy how good the auto is (and I'm biased towards manual!).
The ride quality was unbelievable, coming from the E90. The test car was also kitted with the adaptive suspension and I could feel a huge difference when it was changed to sport mode.
Overall, I totally agree with the OP that it's a huge step away from the E90..

I just wish I could have the 328i , but I'm still excited for my 320i on order
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Alpine F31
Colonel
Alpine F31's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
2,187
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i 6 speed
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I've been invited to this: http://links.emails.bmwusa.com/servl...E1S0&mt=1&rt=0 so I'll test drive it then. I'm waiting for the wagon so I have to wait until it's released AND in M Sport form!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
63
Rep
2,141
Posts

Drives: Mineral/Glacier White
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I've been invited to this: http://links.emails.bmwusa.com/servl...E1S0&mt=1&rt=0 so I'll test drive it then. I'm waiting for the wagon so I have to wait until it's released AND in M Sport form!
That's so unfair! Jump at this opportunity!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
svache's Avatar
United_States
92
Rep
1,881
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I've been invited to this: http://links.emails.bmwusa.com/servl...E1S0&mt=1&rt=0 so I'll test drive it then. I'm waiting for the wagon so I have to wait until it's released AND in M Sport form!
That's awesome, you should do this!
__________________
F30 328i Luxury w/ Mojave metallic, beige interior (timeline)


Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
SCBimmerKid's Avatar
11
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: Mineral Grey F30
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hilton Head, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I've been invited to this: http://links.emails.bmwusa.com/servl...E1S0&mt=1&rt=0 so I'll test drive it then. I'm waiting for the wagon so I have to wait until it's released AND in M Sport form!
I got one too! I signed up haha
__________________

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
svache's Avatar
United_States
92
Rep
1,881
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
And, as a thank you for registering and attending the event, you’ll receive an exclusive sales incentive.
hmmm...
__________________
F30 328i Luxury w/ Mojave metallic, beige interior (timeline)


Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
31
Rep
1,549
Posts

Drives: R8 V8 '14
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

iTrader: (0)

Nice pics! Did you take that shot with your phone? I must say that picture there captures the true colour of the grey. Did you realise as well that the seat belts seems to tighten up automatically? The one I drove seemed to do it as soon as I floored the accelerator but I can't see any details about that in the brochures.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #13
Alpine F31
Colonel
Alpine F31's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
2,187
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i 6 speed
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
I got one too! I signed up haha
I signed up too! I'm going Friday the 27th!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
xDrive35i's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
1,784
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan S
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
Nice pics! Did you take that shot with your phone? I must say that picture there captures the true colour of the grey. Did you realise as well that the seat belts seems to tighten up automatically? The one I drove seemed to do it as soon as I floored the accelerator but I can't see any details about that in the brochures.
Thanks! I took them with a 24 mm f2.8 lens on my Nikon D700, actually. I didn't notice the seat belts function...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
malc410326
Private First Class
13
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: '12 MB SLK 350 & '12 BMW 328i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kentucky

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
Did you realise as well that the seat belts seems to tighten up automatically? The one I drove seemed to do it as soon as I floored the accelerator but I can't see any details about that in the brochures.
I'm glad you mentioned this observation. Actually, I thought I was just making this up in my head. But whenever I accelerate, I honestly feel that my seatbelt tightens up and I'm ready to hit the open road with no fear!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
Alpine F31
Colonel
Alpine F31's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
2,187
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i 6 speed
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
hmmm...
The incentive is a $1000 "allowance" towards a lease or purchase...

You won’t want to miss this competitive event. As a thank you, only registered attendees will receive the limited-time $1,000 BMW Drive for Team USA Allowance, good toward the purchase or lease of a new 2012 or 2013 BMW model.* And once you have completed your experience, BMW will also recognize your drive with a $10 donation to Team USA.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
The X Men
Colonel
36
Rep
2,148
Posts

Drives: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

My wife and I had the opposite test drive experience as the OP. We went to the BMW with the intent of test driving the 2011 328xi, 2012 328i, 528xi and 535xi. We drove the E90 first, the steering was world class, the I6 engine is smooth and quiet and we like the front end better in the E90 than the F30. Next up is the F30, while the salesman was pulling up the car, we can hear the engine ticking from about 50 yards away, which was a big turn off. Get into the car and the seats are as hard as a wood bench, very uncomfortable. During the test drive, we notice the steering is not nearly as communitive as the E90's even when we put the F30 into sport mode. The 4 banger was very noisy and had a lot vibration under hard accelaration. This thing is suppose to do 0-60 in about 6 sec. Frankly, I didnt notice it being that much quicker than the F90. Overall, the F30's test drive was a big disappointment, we had such high hope from teh reviews.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
ChaosBroker
Disinformant
0
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 2013 C300-4M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

I did not drive them back to back, but I certainly share the same impressions as the OP. While I enjoy a drive in an e90 now and again, I couldn't deal with it as a DD. The f30, while less engaging in two specific senses, is much more satisfying in others. I'll give up the steering and sound/smoothness of the e90, for the space, interior, fuel economy, styling, quickness, and cruising ability of the f30.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
MaX PL
Lieutenant
25
Rep
467
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 SS/SO
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
My wife and I had the opposite test drive experience as the OP. We went to the BMW with the intent of test driving the 2011 328xi, 2012 328i, 528xi and 535xi. We drove the E90 first, the steering was world class, the I6 engine is smooth and quiet and we like the front end better in the E90 than the F30. Next up is the F30, while the salesman was pulling up the car, we can hear the engine ticking from about 50 yards away, which was a big turn off. Get into the car and the seats are as hard as a wood bench, very uncomfortable. During the test drive, we notice the steering is not nearly as communitive as the E90's even when we put the F30 into sport mode. The 4 banger was very noisy and had a lot vibration under hard accelaration. This thing is suppose to do 0-60 in about 6 sec. Frankly, I didnt notice it being that much quicker than the F90. Overall, the F30's test drive was a big disappointment, we had such high hope from teh reviews.
i had the exact opposite experience as you.

thankfully i didnt make the mistake of buying a last gen car. boy would that be stupid!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
SCBimmerKid's Avatar
11
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: Mineral Grey F30
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hilton Head, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosBroker View Post
I did not drive them back to back, but I certainly share the same impressions as the OP. While I enjoy a drive in an e90 now and again, I couldn't deal with it as a DD. The f30, while less engaging in two specific senses, is much more satisfying in others. I'll give up the steering and sound/smoothness of the e90, for the space, interior, fuel economy, styling, quickness, and cruising ability of the f30.
+1
__________________

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #21
The X Men
Colonel
36
Rep
2,148
Posts

Drives: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosBroker View Post
I did not drive them back to back, but I certainly share the same impressions as the OP. While I enjoy a drive in an e90 now and again, I couldn't deal with it as a DD. The f30, while less engaging in two specific senses, is much more satisfying in others. I'll give up the steering and sound/smoothness of the e90, for the space, interior, fuel economy, styling, quickness, and cruising ability of the f30.
I think a Camry V6 would have meet your priorities of space, interior, fuel economy, styling, quickness, and cruising ability and save your self about $25000.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #22
The X Men
Colonel
36
Rep
2,148
Posts

Drives: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
thankfully i didnt make the mistake of buying a last gen car. boy would that be stupid!
Show some class, you are driving a BMW after all

Last edited by The X Men; 04-11-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST