F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW assist crap
GetBMWParts

11-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
MyFragileHalogen
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2013 328i

BMW assist crap

I got a blown tire and called the BMW by pushing the SOS button. They said they would send me a flatbed, but they can only ship my car to a dealership (and have me get ripped off). They denied to ship it to any other tire shops or my house. So basically I drove 28 miles back home with a flat tire at 3am. (I managed to get my emergency kit working)

A quite useless $650 option it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
carzaddict
Major
Rep

Drives: M-Sport 328i X-drive

its a bit more useful when you have a more serious issue, like if you're in an accident and pass out. they will call the police for you

or if you lock yourself out of your car, they will unlock it for you
      11-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
its a bit more useful when you have a more serious issue, like if you're in an accident and pass out. they will call the police for you

or if you lock yourself out of your car, they will unlock it for you
Or if you pass out because you passed gas, they will turn on the ventilation.
      11-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Mobster1983
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Not sure what the issue is. Is it the fact that you didn't want the dealer to fix the tire? I have always had it towed to the dealer and never had to pay a cent. Once they had to tow it from my house which is about 23 miles away.

I also have the tire insurance though, so the dealer has to replace my tire for a $50 deductible.

Always worked well for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2014 335xi & 2013 X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Then pay the 50/year for AAA if you don't want it towed to BMW. Or pay the $80 one time fee for the tow truck.

How do you think the tow truck man gets paid? BMW cuts him a check as soon as he gets there.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
MyFragileHalogen
Private First Class
Rep

I don't have any BMW warranty on tires nor use the stock tires that came with the car. If I went to dealership to fix it and it had to be replaced, then the $$$ would be ridiculous compare to buying it from ebay or tirerack. I just can't tolerate it to happen. Also I don't really like going into dealership for any non-warranty work since they once tried to charge me $5000 for just one wire cut, telling me I must replace whole steering rack and subframe. When I told them I wanted my car back, the mechanic purposely disappeared for an hour, leaving my car on the lift.

I saw a post from other forum that BMW assist offers a flatbed service to a local tire shop of the customer's choice as well, which is I thought the way it should be. Maybe it was wrong info. I got very disappointed when they said no to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
snj49er
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: '14 335i xDrive M-Sport

I have neither a tire/wheel warranty nor run flat tires and my dealership has charged me a reasonable fee for mounting tires that I supply. Have you asked your SA if they would do that for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
I don't have any BMW warranty on tires nor use the stock tires that came with the car. If I went to dealership to fix it and it had to be replaced, then the $$$ would be ridiculous compare to buying it from ebay or tirerack. I just can't tolerate it to happen. Also I don't really like going into dealership for any non-warranty work since they once tried to charge me $5000 for just one wire cut, telling me I must replace whole steering rack and subframe. When I told them I wanted my car back, the mechanic purposely disappeared for an hour, leaving my car on the lift.

I saw a post from other forum that BMW assist offers a flatbed service to a local tire shop of the customer's choice as well, which is I thought the way it should be. Maybe it was wrong info. I got very disappointed when they said no to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
rjc32000
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 M Sport X Drive

Hmmm, I've found BMW Assist to be a godsend. It completely met or exceeded my expectations. I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but I wouldn't have expected BMW Assist to include flatbed towing to a location of my choosing. For liability reasons alone, I can understand why BMW would only take vehicles to dealership for service. As painful as dealership pricing may be, the cost savings of a free flatbed can be significant!

Check this out: Busted tire/bent rim bad, BMW Assist good

Note: BMW Assist was included for 3 years with my lease, so I didn't really "select" it as an option with any expectations. Frankly, I thought it was a [expensive] gimmick I'd never take advantage of. So my expectations were obviously much, much lower than the OP's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
I got a blown tire and called the BMW by pushing the SOS button. They said they would send me a flatbed, but they can only ship my car to a dealership (and have me get ripped off). They denied to ship it to any other tire shops or my house. So basically I drove 28 miles back home with a flat tire at 3am. (I managed to get my emergency kit working)

A quite useless $650 option it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
MyFragileHalogen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
Hmmm, I've found BMW Assist to be a godsend. It completely met or exceeded my expectations. I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but I wouldn't have expected BMW Assist to include flatbed towing to a location of my choosing. For liability reasons alone, I can understand why BMW would only take vehicles to dealership for service. As painful as dealership pricing may be, the cost savings of a free flatbed can be significant!

Check this out: Busted tire/bent rim bad, BMW Assist good

Note: BMW Assist was included for 3 years with my lease, so I didn't really "select" it as an option with any expectations. Frankly, I thought it was a [expensive] gimmick I'd never take advantage of. So my expectations were obviously much, much lower than the OP's.
It seemed it worked out great with you! Free 200 mile flatbed sounds awesome. Here in socal they said they have 50 miles limit.

Again, I would be more than happy to just take it to dealership if I am certain that the work would be covered by warranty. I just won't give them any penny out of my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
olinjohnston
Private
Rep

Drives: 2014 428i & 1994 840Ci

It's "BMW Assist" not "Independent Mechanic Assist"

If they offered towing to tire shops and independents, the exposure to BS (for BMW and us) would be staggering. I might be in the minority, but to expect that BMW itself would bring the car any place but a BMW dealer is unreasonable in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #11
MyFragileHalogen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Then pay the 50/year for AAA if you don't want it towed to BMW. Or pay the $80 one time fee for the tow truck.
This is perhaps what I'd need!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
BMWrules7
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 750Li, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983
Not sure what the issue is. Is it the fact that you didn't want the dealer to fix the tire? I have always had it towed to the dealer and never had to pay a cent. Once they had to tow it from my house which is about 23 miles away.

I also have the tire insurance though, so the dealer has to replace my tire for a $50 deductible.

Always worked well for me.
Not for nothing, but has anyone else concluded the lunacy and backwardness of having to tow the car to get a tire fixed?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
Mike_L
Tech Guy
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Not for nothing, but has anyone else concluded the lunacy and backwardness of having to tow the car to get a tire fixed?
Not really. It saves weight and money. These cars have gotten so porky that any time they can save weight they're gonna do it. And I'm sure that towing a few times costs them less then equipping every car with a spare, jack and lug wrench.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
COKen
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 435i / 2002 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
If you have RFT, as the car is delivered (which I do not), you can drive it to some place to have it fixed. Although, you may need to have the tire replaced and not just plugged. This is also true with non-RFTs if you can't stop fast enough and get out of trafic before you destroy the flat tire.

I carry a plug kit and will plug the tire if I ever find myself in this situation and don't distroy my tire getting out of trafic. My M Roadster (which also has no spare tire and runs non-RFTs) has over 100k on it, much of it cross country going to Roadster Homecoming in SC, and I have never had to use the plug kit. I always run Michlein tires, which seem to resist punctures very well.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Steel Gray Metailic HT, TC Kline DA Shocks & Camber Plates, w/H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
Cyberdemon
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

I also have a hard time feeling bad for you.

Geico charges me 66 cents per month for roadside coverage - which covers flats and tow coverage.

If you didn't choose emergency roadside insurance then shame on you for being pennywise pound foolish.

Next up on life lessons: $0 Glass deductibles and why you should have one!
      11-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #16
roundel335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio

Garage List
If you replace the rft tires that come with the car, spend another $125 and get the M-Mobility kit that comes with M-cars. It has a can of tire sealer and a compressor to inflate the tire, and that should get you to a tire shop for a proper repair. A tire-plug kit in addition to that would also be helpful if you can locate the puncture.

That said, dealerships aren't going to "rip you off" to fix a flat for you; however, not all dealerships are open every day of the week, so BMW assist might make an exception of that were the case. But the alternatives mentioned above are probably a good bet as well. Because BMW supplied the car with rft tires, which should enable you to get out of harm's way and/or to a tire repair shop, it's no surprise that BMW Assist is geared toward more serious "VOR" (Vehicle Off Road) emergencies.

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #17
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

Sounds like you have a problem with the dealer and not with BMW Assist.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #18
Tomahawk
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 328I MSport

Or that you didnt read where it clearly states that this is the case when you paid for the service. You paid for much more than roadside assistance.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #19
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
If you replace the rft tires that come with the car, spend another $125 and get the M-Mobility kit that comes with M-cars. It has a can of tire sealer and a compressor to inflate the tire, and that should get you to a tire shop for a proper repair. A tire-plug kit in addition to that would also be helpful if you can locate the puncture.

That said, dealerships aren't going to "rip you off" to fix a flat for you; however, not all dealerships are open every day of the week, so BMW assist might make an exception of that were the case. But the alternatives mentioned above are probably a good bet as well. Because BMW supplied the car with rft tires, which should enable you to get out of harm's way and/or to a tire repair shop, it's no surprise that BMW Assist is geared toward more serious "VOR" (Vehicle Off Road) emergencies.
Don't know if it's universal, but my local dealer will not repair any tire, no matter how trivial the damage. Must be for liability reasons.
      11-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #20
ft1330
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2014 335i

I don't know about you but my insurance has coverage for this for, like, $1 a month or something.....
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 04:02 AM   #21
MyFragileHalogen
Private First Class
Rep

Maybe I was too naive to think that BMW assist would provide a superior roadside assistance service than one from insurance (you can just push the SOS button, how nice it is?), which could be a good substitution. The WHOLE POINT that I started this thread was about the disappointment. I think it was still informative that everyone will now know that BMW assist will only ship the car to a dealership.

However, for what you might wonder: my car is less than 2 years old and everything's good. Although I do have a particular dealership I hate, there are many other dealerships that I can choose to go. But like I said above, I just don't like to pay any penny for any non-warranty work at the dealership. Also, when it happened, there was a high chance that the tire would not have been fixable as it blew up from hitting a rock really hard from side, hence a high chance of having to buy a new tire from the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #22
mvrwdakingtm
Rep

Drives: bmw

I got very disappointed when they said no to me.