F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Appeal of de-badging?
Heel & Toe Apparel
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
TheRealEssad
Private First Class
TheRealEssad's Avatar
39
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Appeal of de-badging?

I'm curious what everyone's opinions are on removing the badges from your car. I've been seeing it for years on various BMW's over the years, and it always made me wonder, what's the appeal? I'm sure there's a reason people have for wanting to do it, I might just be out of the loop on what that is.

Is it that you want to keep some anonymity over which model car you're driving?
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
hollandog
Captain
hollandog's Avatar
United_States
275
Rep
994
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [4.50]
Some people like the clean look.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
yoandry
Lieutenant Colonel
yoandry's Avatar
United_States
201
Rep
1,569
Posts

Drives: 13 F30 335i & JGC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEssad View Post
I'm curious what everyone's opinions are on removing the badges from your car. I've been seeing it for years on various BMW's over the years, and it always made me wonder, what's the appeal? I'm sure there's a reason people have for wanting to do it, I might just be out of the loop on what that is.

Is it that you want to keep some anonymity over which model car you're driving?
There you go. I always do it for the clean look, but you can still know what I have.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1233269
__________________
MPPK, MPE, MP-Susp, MP-Brakes, 437M, MP-Lip, MP-Diffuser, MP-Spoiler, MP-Rocker Panel, MP-Sills, MP-Pedals, MP-Grille, MP-Mats, IND Reflector, AFE Momentum Intake, JB4, VRSF DP, CP, FMIC Race 6".
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
jhuber
Lieutenant
jhuber's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
443
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (2)

I see mostly 320 and 328i drivers doing this... Makes it look clean and not advertise smaller engine I guess?
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
IndotagSwizz
Major
IndotagSwizz's Avatar
292
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: F30 320i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

To me it just looks so much cleaner, I have done it with every car I have ever owned, just a preference
__________________
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
3548
Rep
6,381
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

So people don't know you're rocking a 320i.

Joking, some people just think the trunk looks cleaner without all the badges.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
Dave DDS
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Looks a lot less cluttered. I did it on my 335 and on my current 320d because of that.
I don't think anyone expect for car guys even notice the model designation and engine size.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
yoandry
Lieutenant Colonel
yoandry's Avatar
United_States
201
Rep
1,569
Posts

Drives: 13 F30 335i & JGC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry
Mine.


__________________
MPPK, MPE, MP-Susp, MP-Brakes, 437M, MP-Lip, MP-Diffuser, MP-Spoiler, MP-Rocker Panel, MP-Sills, MP-Pedals, MP-Grille, MP-Mats, IND Reflector, AFE Momentum Intake, JB4, VRSF DP, CP, FMIC Race 6".
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
spuntyb
Colonel
spuntyb's Avatar
United_States
542
Rep
2,296
Posts

Drives: 2015 F31 | 2015 F30 335
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEssad
I'm curious what everyone's opinions are on removing the badges from your car. I've been seeing it for years on various BMW's over the years, and it always made me wonder, what's the appeal? I'm sure there's a reason people have for wanting to do it, I might just be out of the loop on what that is.

Is it that you want to keep some anonymity over which model car you're driving?
Clean look. I don't particularly like the font/style they use. The numbers don't mean anything to me.
__________________
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR /// Active-8
2015 F30 335 AW|CR /// Active-8
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
119
Rep
3,782
Posts

Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

When a car is first designed/sketched, I find it's often in it's purest intended form. Badging is just adornment, cake decorating, that comes much later on.
__________________

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
McBride
First Lieutenant
McBride's Avatar
86
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: F30 M Sport +
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Leeds, UK

iTrader: (0)

Looks cleaner without it, more so on darker colours where the chrome badge stands out more.
I've debadged every car I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
tturedraider
Colonel
tturedraider's Avatar
457
Rep
2,317
Posts

Drives: 2006 Sonora E90 330i sport pkg
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, Edgewater (via Texas & Tennessee)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEssad View Post
I'm curious what everyone's opinions are on removing the badges from your car. I've been seeing it for years on various BMW's over the years, and it always made me wonder, what's the appeal? I'm sure there's a reason people have for wanting to do it, I might just be out of the loop on what that is.

Is it that you want to keep some anonymity over which model car you're driving?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
Some people like the clean look.
^^ this is it, as all of the other posts reiterate. Personally, it's not my thing. It's desired enough in Germany and other European countries that it's a factory option.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #13
Paladucky
Private
Paladucky's Avatar
20
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

I see a lot of debadged cars that are smaller engine models. It feels like people are trying to hide that. Most people don't know and don't care, and the people who do know can tell what your car is without the badge.
Appreciate 5
      03-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #14
platty
Second Lieutenant
platty's Avatar
144
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: M4 VERT
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

I took off the 335i because I like the cleaner look as well.

The only comments about the debadging that I've had come from people who are not enthusiasts. They obviously don't know the sound nor recognize the twin exhaust pipes, non-M fender flares, M-sport bumpers, etc.

Now 320 & 328 against each other, that's a bit tougher.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #15
sygazelle
Lieutenant Colonel
907
Rep
1,774
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuber View Post
I see mostly 320 and 328i drivers doing this... Makes it look clean and not advertise smaller engine I guess?


I proudly display my 328i badge since I don't want anyone to think I spent $2,500 extra for two unnecessary cylinders (along with pistons, rings, valves) and added weight over the front axle. ;) Just in case its not clear, I am kidding! I think the 335i (now 340) is a fine car. Its just not what I wanted personally. Taking the badge off my lovely and amazing 328i to have the unknowing think my car is something else is something I wouldn't think of doing since I'm at that happy stage where what other people think is not as important as it used to be.

Last edited by sygazelle; 07-02-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #16
S4NoMore
Captain
S4NoMore's Avatar
United_States
115
Rep
844
Posts

Drives: 06 330i 6MT, 91 318i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladucky
I see a lot of debadged cars that are smaller engine models. It feels like people are trying to hide that. Most people don't know and don't care, and the people who do know can tell what your car is without the badge.
I think that's a misconception, in the majority of cases. People who spend the time and energy debadging do it because it looks so much cleaner to them - subjective of course.

It's also easier to wash and dry, not to mention polish and wax/seal.

Just like you said, people who care to notice will know what engine you have by the small design cues. People who don't care and don't notice the debadge won't care what engine you have.

I've de-badged nearly every car I've owned, including S4, 335, GTI, and now 328. The only exception is my E30 which I haven't debadged because the badge itself is in such good shape like the rest of the car (keeping the stock look). Plus it's white.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #17
jgoens
Brigadier General
jgoens's Avatar
1998
Rep
4,239
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

My car came de-badged...I've always liked the look of a de-badged car, so now I have it with no effort.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #18
Gabreigns
Captain
Gabreigns's Avatar
230
Rep
826
Posts

Drives: F3x
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

In my very very very Humble opinion debadging looks as if the car has been in a rear end collision previously and the owner is awaiting it's proper badging.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #19
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
168
Rep
816
Posts

Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montreal, QC

iTrader: (0)

I took my dealer sticker off the trunk . No free advertising for them!
Appreciate 3
      03-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #20
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
3548
Rep
6,381
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by platty View Post
I took off the 335i because I like the cleaner look as well.

The only comments about the debadging that I've had come from people who are not enthusiasts. They obviously don't know the sound nor recognize the twin exhaust pipes, non-M fender flares, M-sport bumpers, etc.

Now 320 & 328 against each other, that's a bit tougher.
The tailpipes are a dead give away.

Now a 320i vs a 328d however....
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #21
bad karma
Captain
244
Rep
680
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i F31 M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Looks so much cleaner, especially on the xDrive models where BMW insists on putting that awful xDrive badge on the back. Cluttered. I toyed with removing it and leaving the 328i, but then it was asymmetrical and bugged me.

It's pretty obvious that I'm not trying to hide my model, being as the F31 is only offered in one flavor in the US (well, two, if you count the diesel). Hard to pretend it's an M3 Touring when such a thing doesn't exist.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #22
McBride
First Lieutenant
McBride's Avatar
86
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: F30 M Sport +
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Leeds, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladucky View Post
I see a lot of debadged cars that are smaller engine models. It feels like people are trying to hide that. Most people don't know and don't care, and the people who do know can tell what your car is without the badge.
You could look at this the other way as well.

People with smaller engines debadged because it gives a cleaner look. The badge doesnt matter to them.
People with larger engines like to show off and keep the badge to make sure everybody knows, even though like you say anybody who cares can tell just by looking at the car.
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST