F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cool feature, find something, learn anything?
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #881
ronin951
First Lieutenant
9

 
ronin951's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville, FL


Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Great thread! Now i know why i keep nearly stalling. Stupid brake is being applied. Might just be me but i don't think it's just when on an incline. 20 yrs of driving a stick and I'm stalling while showing the car to friends/family. Kinda embarrassing.

Regarding the sound volume indicator. I think it's absent because the car adjusts the volume based on cabin noise level...or maybe it's speed. I know my e46 did this. You really don't notice until you drive another car without this feature and find yourself adjusting the volume at every light. It's a nice feature that you may not know exists, which means it's doing its job because you shouldn't.

Edit: probably the same reason the dial isn't analog like most un-smart cars
__________________
2013 EBII 328i M-Sport 6MT, M-Performance Brakes, M-Performance Suspension, APEX Arc-8 18 x 8.5 square, Pilot SS
1999 EB1 M3 - Bilstein PSS9, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Kosei K1, NT05, Carbotech XP8, gallon of distilled water.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #882
verbs
Lieutenant
10

 
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ


Posts: 539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I know this has been discussed, but it is worth mentioning again. The two hooks in the trunk are fantastic for groceries.

I kept forgetting about them but used them today. Excellent.
Oh, those are for groceries? You can also hook them to your kid's diaper so they don't bounce around in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #883
runofkings
Enlisted Member
1

 
Drives: 2014 335i MSPORT
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 43
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
That's a feature of the NBT Navigation.
F30s are shipping with NBT navigation? That's what the poster owns according to his profile.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #884
SamS
Brigadier General
61

 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 4,551
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runofkings View Post
F30s are shipping with NBT navigation? That's what the poster owns according to his profile.
He's in the UK, IIRC. And F30s in the UK get NBT Nav, since Nov 2012 production.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #885
cGodin
Enlisted Member
United_States
1

 
cGodin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i Sport-Line
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: West Hartford, CT


Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
one weird thing is when you gently touch the button, not pressing it but touch it, it recognizes you have your finger on it, idk...its cool
According to one of the video reviews, soft-touching the buttons will display what that button is programmed for. Sounds like a nice touch, no pun intended.
Yeah the 8 preset buttons are capacitive touch like a smartphone's screen. So your finger, a stylus, or anything else that conducts a light electrical field will active those buttons. You can actually run your fingers along them and on your iDrive screen it will flow through the different assignments for the buttons. Pretty cool when you want to quickly look up what you mapped them to! :-). Kudos to BMW for starting to introduce this kind of tech.
__________________

2013 F30 335i | Sport-Line 6MT | Alpine White w/Black Dakota Leather | Gloss Black trim - Red Finishers | Premium | Cold Weather | Dynamic Handling | HK Sound | MPPK | M Blk Grills | M Pedals
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #886
Sladester100
Private First Class
United Kingdom
1

 
Drives: F30 320d ED
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South East England, UK


Posts: 169
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I know this has been discussed, but it is worth mentioning again. The two hooks in the trunk are fantastic for groceries.

I kept forgetting about them but used them today. Excellent.
Something else I didn't know. Found em today. Brilliant! Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #887
ZigmundUK
Captain
United Kingdom
7

 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NCL - UK


Posts: 626
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cGodin View Post
Yeah the 8 preset buttons are capacitive touch like a smartphone's screen. So your finger, a stylus, or anything else that conducts a light electrical field will active those buttons. You can actually run your fingers along them and on your iDrive screen it will flow through the different assignments for the buttons. Pretty cool when you want to quickly look up what you mapped them to! :-). Kudos to BMW for starting to introduce this kind of tech.
This is in our E61 2008 model car. In fact a lot of the features pointed out in this thread are existing technologies in the BMW range.

But keep em coming - I have circa 7 weeks left to my arrival (i've been told) so need to fill it with anticipation so I set the bar really high on expectations!
__________________
Gone: E87 120d SE Auto (M47TU2D20) Sparkling Graphite
Running: E61 520d SE Auto (N47D20) Titanium Silver
Sprinting: F31 330d M Sport (N57D30A) Estoril Blue
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #888
bimmer-A
Private
Australia
0

 
Drives: F30 MY13 328i Msport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brisbane


Posts: 70
iTrader: (0)

Do Australian delivered cars have this hook in the trunk??
__________________
______________________________
2013 328i M-sport ( arrived!! - GREAT!)
alpine white/pro nav/ext con/hud/sunroof/bi-xenon/m sport brakes/ etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #889
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
11

 
DesertSmokeBBQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Diego, CA


Posts: 926
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
I don't see any hooks in my trunk. Where are they? Can you post a picture?
QUOTE=Buzzman]We don't have the hooks on Canadian models.
But you DO have fog lights on M-Sport...
__________________
'14 Estoril Blue II F30 - 335i - ZMM - ZPP - ZTP - ZPS -
2TP

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #890
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
21

 
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
I don't see any hooks in my trunk. Where are they? Can you post a picture?
QUOTE=Buzzman]We don't have the hooks on Canadian models.
But you DO have fog lights on M-Sport...
Initially, I preferred fog lights and wanted them on my MSport. I actually prefer the look without now.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #891
Dabaitu
Colonel
Australia
50

 
Drives: anything given a chance
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: .au


Posts: 2,962
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-A View Post
Do Australian delivered cars have this hook in the trunk??
Yes (well mine does anyway, it's a June '12 production 328i Sport). Should be one on either side. They're up high on the sidewall.

A simple yet excellent feature, especially combined with the "kick to open" boot release.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #892
bimmer-A
Private
Australia
0

 
Drives: F30 MY13 328i Msport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brisbane


Posts: 70
iTrader: (0)

Thanks!!
__________________
______________________________
2013 328i M-sport ( arrived!! - GREAT!)
alpine white/pro nav/ext con/hud/sunroof/bi-xenon/m sport brakes/ etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #893
terpnut
New Member
0

 
terpnut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland


Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Which packages does the trunk kick option come with?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #894
FEE
Ne Conjugare Nobiscum
United_States
1

 
Drives: '13 335i Sport MG/Blk
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NW Florida


Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpnut View Post
Which packages does the trunk kick option come with?
It's part of Comfort Access with the Premium Package ZPP
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #895
myaccount
New Member
United_States
0

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee


Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Learned something new today... Has been frustrating the past couple of days for the wife after I drive the car since the profile wouldn't switch to her profile when she would start the car. At first I thought it was because I may have not been locking all the doors after I use it. We have CA. So, when she unlocks the car by touching the handle, it should switch to her profile. The important thing I learned was that profile will switch to her profile only if it is unlocked from the driver's side or if the locks are already opened, the key fob has to be out of the car when opening the driver side. If it is unlocked from the passenger side, the profile will not switch. After unlocking from the passenger side, if you leave the key fob in the car and then walk over to the driver side and open the door, the profile still won't switch since the key fob is in the car.

Bottom line... If you want to make sure the car switches to profile associated to your key fob, make sure key fob is outside the car and open the driver side door.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #896
ZigmundUK
Captain
United Kingdom
7

 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NCL - UK


Posts: 626
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myaccount View Post
Learned something new today... Has been frustrating the past couple of days for the wife after I drive the car since the profile wouldn't switch to her profile when she would start the car. At first I thought it was because I may have not been locking all the doors after I use it. We have CA. So, when she unlocks the car by touching the handle, it should switch to her profile. The important thing I learned was that profile will switch to her profile only if it is unlocked from the driver's side or if the locks are already opened, the key fob has to be out of the car when opening the driver side. If it is unlocked from the passenger side, the profile will not switch. After unlocking from the passenger side, if you leave the key fob in the car and then walk over to the driver side and open the door, the profile still won't switch since the key fob is in the car.

Bottom line... If you want to make sure the car switches to profile associated to your key fob, make sure key fob is outside the car and open the driver side door.
How does the car know which human is unlocking it? Is it based on keys - so you effectively have 1 key each?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #897
FEE
Ne Conjugare Nobiscum
United_States
1

 
Drives: '13 335i Sport MG/Blk
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NW Florida


Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
How does the car know which human is unlocking it? Is it based on keys - so you effectively have 1 key each?
Yes, each key fob has the profile stored for that user. It doesn't switch to her profile if she uses the passenger door or is inside the car because the car sees her as a passenger and not the driver.

Last edited by FEE; 03-21-2013 at 06:44 AM. Reason: added
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #898
finaloption
Second Lieutenant
United_States
6

 
finaloption's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 f30 n26
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC


Posts: 258
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Horrible picture, but you get the idea.
i can't believe i never noticed these hooks.. they were turned up so i couldn't see it... used them last night after shopping and i'm happy my groceries dont roll around anymore
thanks
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #899
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
11

 
kobechrome's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashburn, VA


Posts: 700
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
For those interested and with iPhones, you can now get email over bluetooth on your iDrive (must have BMW enhanced BT option which comes with tech package or can be ordered separate). All you have to do is update the latest iOS (which just came out yesterday).

The only other thing is that you have to close and restart the mail app while in the car to get the email to work.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #900
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
7

 
arnsbrae's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 520d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom


Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome View Post
For those interested and with iPhones, you can now get email over bluetooth on your iDrive (must have BMW enhanced BT option which comes with tech package or can be ordered separate). All you have to do is update the latest iOS (which just came out yesterday).

The only other thing is that you have to close and restart the mail app while in the car to get the email to work.
Thanks for the heads up - will give it ago...
__________________
August 2012 F10 520d SE sport automatic, Jet Black, Oyster\Black Leather, light ash wood trim, Professional media/ navigation, mobile apps, Internet, DAB radio.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #901
RichardM
Lieutenant Colonel
England
19

 
Drives: F31 335D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Herts UK


Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (1)

Do you still have to enable emails in the notification center as an alert?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #902
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
1

 
JohnVidale's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 328ix Mojave/Venetian
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle


Posts: 180
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome View Post
All you have to do is update the latest iOS (which just came out yesterday).
Is this update for the phone, or for the car? I don't see evidence of either - my car is a 2013 328 with the tech options, my phone is a 5.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST