F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > N20 Tuning: flashing 320i/420i to 328i/428i specs
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-17-2015, 03:15 AM   #1
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes's Avatar
222
Rep
5,288
Posts

Drives: a black car
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (3)

Smile N20 Tuning: flashing 320i/420i to 328i/428i specs

Super exciting news for all 320i / 420i owners!! (and anyone else with a detuned N20 engine)

As you may/may not know the 320i runs an N20 engine with flywheel engine outputs of 135kw/270nm.
The 328i makes 180kw/350nm. So far we have not been able to identify any hardware differences between the two.

We're pleased to announce we can flash the 320i to 328i levels and then some
At the same time we can tune the 328 with a proper flash tune, although the gains are less as we are obviously starting in a higher state of tune.

We are offering two levels of tunes:

- the '28' tune; and
- the '28+' tune

The 28 tune is designed to take the 320i to 328i levels of power. At this level the car will perform the same as a standard 328i (which is no slouch!). The fuelling, boost and ignition mapping is virtually identical to a 328i.
The 28+ tune is designed to take it one step further, similar to what a tuned 328 would be.

Dyno numbers from a 420i

Stock 420i: 117.5kw
28+ tuned 420i: 172.9kw



For comparison, a stock 328 will make approx 155kw on this dyno and 172kw tuned. Here is a 328 with JB4 dyno sheet I posted up a while ago:



How does it drive?
Brilliantly! I have driven stock 320s and 328s, and both models with JB4s and the flash tuned vehicles drive noticeably smoother and better than the JB4.
That's not to discount the JB4 though - it's still a brilliant unit that offers excellent bang for buck, and you wouldn't pick the difference unless you had driven both back to back.
One advantage the flash tune has over the JB4 comparing the dyno sheets above is the flash tuned 420i will hold power and torque up top better, whereas the JB4 tends to fall away.

Next steps
We are hoping to do a downpipe/intake combo on the 320i/420i combined with the 28+ tune to see if it gives similar results to what we would see on tuned 328i/428i (around 195rwkw)

Pricing
please refer to the BMR website *link to be provided shortly*

At the end of the day this is a fantastic upgrade for any 320i/420i owner, particularly those who may have wanted the 328i/428i in the first place, but ended up with a 320i/420i whether due to availability or lower purchase price. Now 320s and 420s no longer need to miss out on that extra power enjoyed by their bigger brothers

Last edited by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes; 05-23-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 04:14 AM   #2
x328x
First Lieutenant
41
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Vic

iTrader: (0)

Sounds good. I have 328. So do you have figures for a flash tunes 328.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 04:28 AM   #3
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes's Avatar
222
Rep
5,288
Posts

Drives: a black car
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post
Sounds good. I have 328. So do you have figures for a flash tunes 328.
Not yet. Hoping to have some data soon for the 328. I would imagine peak power to increase maybe 2-5kw but hopefully we can keep the power up the top rather than letting it fall off.

Cheers
Stuart
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
knightsabers
Major
knightsabers's Avatar
Australia
225
Rep
1,267
Posts

Drives: 328i M-Sport BSM
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Nice Definitely sounds promising, especially for those who have the 320i/420i who want more power.

I wonder if a tune + intake/downpipe combo would boost the 328i closer to the 335i. Maybe in the future upgrade the turbo to the Hexon N20 turbo would set it even further.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 04:32 AM   #5
rednose
Second Lieutenant
Australia
31
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: F30 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Can't see a shootout mode on the dyno sheet Stuart, are you dynoing in tune mode?

Would it be possible to run a car up in Shoot4F mode?

Also would like to see results from a flash tuned 328.

May have to drop in and have a chat next week.

George
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 04:37 AM   #6
rednose
Second Lieutenant
Australia
31
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: F30 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

What software is being used if you don't mind me asking Stuart?

Does it require a flash box that holds the tune or do you flash via the obd2 port directly to the the ecu?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 05:03 AM   #7
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes's Avatar
222
Rep
5,288
Posts

Drives: a black car
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Can't see a shootout mode on the dyno sheet Stuart, are you dynoing in tune mode?

Would it be possible to run a car up in Shoot4F mode?

Also would like to see results from a flash tuned 328.

May have to drop in and have a chat next week.

George
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
What software is being used if you don't mind me asking Stuart?

Does it require a flash box that holds the tune or do you flash via the obd2 port directly to the the ecu?
Not 100% sure what mode the dyno is in but it's the same one we always use, i.e. it's consistent and we haven't mucked about with correction factors, inlet air temps or anything else.

A flash tuned 328 would make a good comparison as well and I'm keen to do one as it would only benefit as we learn more about the platform.

The tune is loaded onto the ECU, neither through a piggyback or OBD2 but through a boot pin tool.

We use CMD for our flashing/uploading/tuning etc.

Feel free to drop by for a chat and Pete will be able to answer your questions about the dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabers View Post
I wonder if a tune + intake/downpipe combo would boost the 328i closer to the 335i. Maybe in the future upgrade the turbo to the Hexon N20 turbo would set it even further.
Tune + Downpipe on a 328 absolutely makes it faster than a stock F30 335 (although I haven't tested it down the quarter). Stock F30 335 makes 185rwkw on our dyno and tune + dp 328 makes 195rwkw +... seat of the pants says the tune + DP 328 feels faster than the 335 as well.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2015, 05:16 AM   #8
dcg71
Captain
Australia
24
Rep
929
Posts

Drives: F30 335i Sport BSM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (2)

Pretty impressive. I think we'll see a lot of tuned 320i getting around eventually. Seems like they are quite detuned from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 05:24 AM   #9
rednose
Second Lieutenant
Australia
31
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: F30 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post

Feel free to drop by for a chat and Pete will be able to answer your questions about the dyno
I'll try and make some time to come down next week.

Was not planning on tuning it as its the wife's car but that was mainly due to me not being a fan of the piggy back systems.

Not that I have anything against them but having had piggy backs and custom dyno tunes, the custom tune is a whole lot more refined and more power can be made by manipulating the correct tables instead of tricking the ecu.

Very new to the euro cars but have had heavily modified cars all my life.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 05:29 AM   #10
rednose
Second Lieutenant
Australia
31
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: F30 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone know much power you lose through the driveline in a zf 8 speed 328i?

20%?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 05:37 AM   #11
rednose
Second Lieutenant
Australia
31
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: F30 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post

Tune + Downpipe on a 328 absolutely makes it faster than a stock F30 335 (although I haven't tested it down the quarter). Stock F30 335 makes 185rwkw on our dyno and tune + dp 328 makes 195rwkw +... seat of the pants says the tune + DP 328 feels faster than the 335 as well.
Rough calculation of above would indicate a high 12 sec pass, which is not too shabby from a luxury 2L euro with a 100kg driver.

Cake and eat it too....yes please !!!

Last edited by rednose; 06-17-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 05:50 AM   #12
HFW003
Colonel
HFW003's Avatar
Australia
390
Rep
2,172
Posts

Drives: MY16 MG F10 528
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Newcastle, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Hey Stu,

What are your thoughts on warranty/longevity implications with this?

Are you doing anything with the F10? I've just ordered one

Tell 'em the price Son!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #13
AUSf22
Captain
Australia
62
Rep
664
Posts

Drives: 14' 228i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Hey Stu,

What are your thoughts on warranty/longevity implications with this?

Are you doing anything with the F10? I've just ordered one

Tell 'em the price Son!
The F10 528i shares the same engine as the 328i and the 228i so the tune can be done for your new car as well
- N20B20A

whereas the 220i, 320i and 520i all use the detuned version
- N20B20U0

Interested in a price as well for 28+
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 06:10 AM   #14
knightsabers
Major
knightsabers's Avatar
Australia
225
Rep
1,267
Posts

Drives: 328i M-Sport BSM
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post
Tune + Downpipe on a 328 absolutely makes it faster than a stock F30 335 (although I haven't tested it down the quarter). Stock F30 335 makes 185rwkw on our dyno and tune + dp 328 makes 195rwkw +... seat of the pants says the tune + DP 328 feels faster than the 335 as well.
Interesting looks like I need to get the DP + Tune done next after the exhaust next week.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 06:30 AM   #15
HFW003
Colonel
HFW003's Avatar
Australia
390
Rep
2,172
Posts

Drives: MY16 MG F10 528
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Newcastle, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
The F10 528i shares the same engine as the 328i and the 228i so the tune can be done for your new car as well
- N20B20A

whereas the 220i, 320i and 520i all use the detuned version
- N20B20U0

Interested in a price as well for 28+
Thanks for that, I do know that though.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 06:37 AM   #16
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes's Avatar
222
Rep
5,288
Posts

Drives: a black car
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
the custom tune is a whole lot more refined and more power can be made by manipulating the correct tables instead of tricking the ecu.
^ this

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Does anyone know much power you lose through the driveline in a zf 8 speed 328i?

20%?
Just under 20%, or the engine is slightly underrated.
A stock 328i will dyno about 155rwkw, indicating 16% drivetrain loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Hey Stu,

What are your thoughts on warranty/longevity implications with this?

Are you doing anything with the F10? I've just ordered one

Tell 'em the price Son!
Yep it'll work on the F10 N20 engines too.

Warranty, bit of a grey area. My recommendation is in the (unlikely) event of a warranty claim flash back to stock and deny it was ever tuned. Without the tune on there, it's pretty hard to prove it was tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabers View Post
Interesting looks like I need to get the DP + Tune done next after the exhaust next week.
Haha one step at a time



As for pricing on the tune, will be announced before end of this week. It will obviously cost more than piggybacks, and we need to factor in time taken to do the tune + recover some R&D work, but we will try and remain competitive and offer a value product at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 06:47 AM   #17
HFW003
Colonel
HFW003's Avatar
Australia
390
Rep
2,172
Posts

Drives: MY16 MG F10 528
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Newcastle, Australia

iTrader: (0)

I feel a group buy coming on
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 06:50 AM   #18
AUSf22
Captain
Australia
62
Rep
664
Posts

Drives: 14' 228i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
I feel a group buy coming on
That is a good feeling
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #19
rednose
Second Lieutenant
Australia
31
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: F30 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Had the pleasure of meeting Stuart this morning.

Great guy and very helpful.

We had a bit of a discussion with regards to the ecu flash and came to the conclusion that it was not for me, don't have enough mods to justify the cost so I ended up buying the BMS stg.1
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 12:39 AM   #20
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes's Avatar
222
Rep
5,288
Posts

Drives: a black car
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Had the pleasure of meeting Stuart this morning.

Great guy and very helpful.

We had a bit of a discussion with regards to the ecu flash and came to the conclusion that it was not for me, don't have enough mods to justify the cost so I ended up buying the BMS stg.1
Good meeting you too George and hopefully you enjoy the BMS tune on the 328i. I expect most 328i owners to be in the same boat as you where the BMS tune represents better value than the flash.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 12:55 AM   #21
rednose
Second Lieutenant
Australia
31
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: F30 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post
Good meeting you too George and hopefully you enjoy the BMS tune on the 328i. I expect most 328i owners to be in the same boat as you where the BMS tune represents better value than the flash.
Agreed, if I had a downpipe, highflow cat and intake then I would definately go ecu flash over piggy back.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:01 AM   #22
x328x
First Lieutenant
41
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Vic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Agreed, if I had a downpipe, highflow cat and intake then I would definately go ecu flash over piggy back.
Hey

I am about to pull the trigger on a piggy back. still looking into the other brands.

Please put a review up if you can. I don't want to hijack thread so ill just wait for your thread
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
320, 420, bmr autowerkes, sydney, tuning

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST