F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Is Bavsound really worth it?
European Auto Source

09-27-2015, 11:43 PM   #1
Jeremiah5238
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan

Is Bavsound really worth it?

So I have been searching these forums as well as others, and I just want a few honest opinions on the Bavsound (for H/K) upgraded speakers. I listen to mostly bass-heavy hip-hop and EDM. I am not a huge fan of the H/K, and I am looking to change the system a bit. I will be adding a sub soon as well.

If you have installed the Bavsound in your car and you also listen to bass-heavy music and consider yourself somewhat of an audiophile I would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 03:31 AM   #2
WarrENDeatH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 320xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah5238 View Post
So I have been searching these forums as well as others, and I just want a few honest opinions on the Bavsound (for H/K) upgraded speakers. I listen to mostly bass-heavy hip-hop and EDM. I am not a huge fan of the H/K, and I am looking to change the system a bit. I will be adding a sub soon as well.

If you have installed the Bavsound in your car and you also listen to bass-heavy music and consider yourself somewhat of an audiophile I would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.
I have heard for those with a base, it helps a lot. I'm not sure in your case, as most people usually stick with H/K. I am considering doing it down the road, for the fact so many people have reviewed it and called it an upgrade, and high quality. Some people say that the range and clarity is much better than any of the sound systems BMW provides. I have done research and seems like a lot of people really like the upgrade, especially for the money (600-800 bucks).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
squidlyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

I assume you are talking about the S-1's? If so, it was _definitely_ worth it for $400 ... 600-800....eeeeehhhhhhh
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
rp2pilot
Rep
Drives: 2015 328 Xdrive

I just installed the Bavsound Stage 1 yesterday on my non-HK 2015 328i. It is a decent upgrade and I'd recommend it before upgrading the amp. The OEM speakers looked like something I'd find in a clock radio. They sounded muddy and harsh. The Bavsound speakers really cleaned up the sound and they have a pleasant "voicing". It's actually enjoyable to play the stereo now. I paid around $500 for the 5 midranges and two front tweeters.. definitely worth the expense.

The install is not terribly difficult. I took about three hours to do all the speakers. The hardest part for me is/was getting the door trim back on as well as it came from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

I installed the front stage only in my HK 328. Did exactly what BSW claims. Was a marked improvement over HK. Especially for extended listening at higher levels. Waited a while before adding trunk sub since it was pretty good without. Now experimenting with different subs/enclosures.

But i only did the front stage and on a big sale so it was definitely worth what i paid.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZHP

Quote:

Hi Jeremiah, thanks for considering our Stage One Upgrade. The short answer to your question is... YES! Obviously I'm biased, but the difference in overall sound quality is huge: clarity, detail, loudness, etc.

Additionally, because the speakers used are slightly less efficient than the factory speakers, their output is slightly lower than factory. This means the "relative" output of the subwoofer is higher, so you'll get more bass response.

However, even though our speakers play slightly quieter for a given setting on the volume knob, overall *listenable* output is increased because they don't distort at low volume like the factory speakers. So you get the best of both worlds -- better bass response, and more usable volume.

Of course, if you're focused on improving bass response, I'd strongly recommend our all new Ghost Underseat Subwoofer upgrade. You can learn more here:

http://www.bavsound.com/blog/2015/10...for-pre-order/
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #7
paulff3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

Take a look at Musicar NW.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
paul223
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah D. Cranman
Quote:

Hi Jeremiah, thanks for considering our Stage One Upgrade. The short answer to your question is... YES! Obviously I'm biased, but the difference in overall sound quality is huge: clarity, detail, loudness, etc.

Additionally, because the speakers used are slightly less efficient than the factory speakers, their output is slightly lower than factory. This means the "relative" output of the subwoofer is higher, so you'll get more bass response.

However, even though our speakers play slightly quieter for a given setting on the volume knob, overall *listenable* output is increased because they don't distort at low volume like the factory speakers. So you get the best of both worlds -- better bass response, and more usable volume.

Of course, if you're focused on improving bass response, I'd strongly recommend our all new Ghost Underseat Subwoofer upgrade. You can learn more here:

What frequency ghost subs play?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #9
mkrup87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah D. Cranman View Post

So I've been curious... my main gripe with HK is how non-linear the tonal response is. I'm somewhat of an audiophile, have a pretty nice system at home (NAD, Rega, Cambridge Audio, and Klipsch), and was really spoiled with the Bang & Olufsen system in my S4. The Bimmer's HK just absolutely doesn't cut it. I've tweaked the EQ using the settings here http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=954719 but it's still peaky, especially when the speed sensitive volume control kicks in...

Anyway, I was curious if the Stage One speakers fill the hole between 100-200 Hz, and get rid of that nasty peak at 200? If so, you've got a "shut up and take my money" in the making.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 435i FBO ENZO S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrup87 View Post
So I've been curious... my main gripe with HK is how non-linear the tonal response is. I'm somewhat of an audiophile, have a pretty nice system at home (NAD, Rega, Cambridge Audio, and Klipsch), and was really spoiled with the Bang & Olufsen system in my S4. The Bimmer's HK just absolutely doesn't cut it. I've tweaked the EQ using the settings here http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=954719 but it's still peaky, especially when the speed sensitive volume control kicks in...

Anyway, I was curious if the Stage One speakers fill the hole between 100-200 Hz, and get rid of that nasty peak at 200? If so, you've got a "shut up and take my money" in the making.
You're probably better off asking this question directly on BavSound website...as they very rarely visit these forums.

My Build Thread can be found HERE

My ENZO Performance Tune updates HERE
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #11
paulff3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

Quote:

mkrup...you're in Mass. Be sure to check out my thread.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1186036
      11-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #12
chums
Private
Rep
Drives: 328

any Black Friday sales for this?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
mkrup87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
mkrup...you're in Mass. Be sure to check out my thread.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1186036
Interesting... Out of curiosity, how did pricing shake out?

Also, nice taste in colors (and transmission)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
chums
Private
Rep
Drives: 328

open box clearance going on now

http://bavsoundclearance.com/?utm_so...eid=9eefccf36b
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #15
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:

If you are used to a linear frequency response, try the settings in this post (I use the first one). Keep in mind that this will actually reduce the artificial mid-bass hump that is there to compensate for the lack of low frequency extension, but you will gain in articulation.

Last edited by dmnc02; 11-21-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Appreciate 0