F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BSW HIFI stage 1 installation done - did I mess up?
Supreme Power Parts

08-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
anleizhang
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

BSW HIFI stage 1 installation done - did I mess up?

Hi guys,

Australia here, I finished the installation of BSW HIFi stage 1 speaker upgrade yesterday. i did 4 speakers on the doors first and the center one at last.

When installing the center mid range, I had big problem to fit it in position. And later I noticed it was the black rubber ring on the magnetic needs to be removed. After removing, easy install. And I suggest for the doors part, You surely not need to disconnect the any wiring especially the window switches and mirror adjustment panel as it is not that easy to take out like showing on their you tube video, then you may loss patient and damage your trim.

My question here, today when i was thinking about the installation I did yesterday, I suddenly noticed the 4 mid range speakers on the doors also had the rubber ring on the magnetic and I forgot to remove them!!!! So my question here is, do i need to rework to take them out? Or having them on will not affect the sound quality at all..

I tried some top quality Hifi testing music last night. And I am really pleased with the speakers. and as like all other users mentioned, sound loudness is not much increased, but it is all about the sound quality.. Cannot wait for the bimmertech amp/dsp arriving later this month to finalize the setup.

I am uploading the music onto my google drive, and later once done. I will share the link to everyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
knightsabers
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 328i M-Sport BSM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anleizhang View Post
Hi guys,

Australia here, I finished the installation of BSW HIFi stage 1 speaker upgrade yesterday. i did 4 speakers on the doors first and the center one at last.

When installing the center mid range, I had big problem to fit it in position. And later I noticed it was the black rubber ring on the magnetic needs to be removed. After removing, easy install. And I suggest for the doors part, You surely not need to disconnect the any wiring especially the window switches and mirror adjustment panel as it is not that easy to take out like showing on their you tube video, then you may loss patient and damage your trim.

My question here, today when i was thinking about the installation I did yesterday, I suddenly noticed the 4 mid range speakers on the doors also had the rubber ring on the magnetic and I forgot to remove them!!!! So my question here is, do i need to rework to take them out? Or having them on will not affect the sound quality at all..

I tried some top quality Hifi testing music last night. And I am really pleased with the speakers. and as like all other users mentioned, sound loudness is not much increased, but it is all about the sound quality.. Cannot wait for the bimmertech amp/dsp arriving later this month to finalize the setup.

I am uploading the music onto my google drive, and later once done. I will share the link to everyone.
Very nice Yep it sounds so much better compared to the Hi-Fi The speakers volume should increase with the amp & throw in BSW's Subs then you've got a decent package.
      08-08-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
Mr. Big
Private
Rep
Drives: '75 2002, '14 435i M Sport

Quote:
Hi guys,

You're good to leave them on. BavSound told me it makes no difference whether the rubber rings are left on or taken off, it makes no difference to the sound. As you've discovered, it's only the center speaker that requires removal.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 03:05 AM   #4
anleizhang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabers View Post
Very nice Yep it sounds so much better compared to the Hi-Fi The speakers volume should increase with the amp & throw in BSW's Subs then you've got a decent package.
Hi yes. I'm so pleased with the sound quality now.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 03:06 AM   #5
anleizhang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
You're good to leave them on. BavSound told me it makes no difference whether the rubber rings are left on or taken off, it makes no difference to the sound. As you've discovered, it's only the center speaker that requires removal.
Thank you very much for the confirm. The centre one did give me at least 30 mins headache
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
knightsabers
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 328i M-Sport BSM

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you very much for the confirm. The centre one did give me at least 30 mins headache
Same thing, was wondering why the centre speaker was not dropping in for over 45 mins till we realised the plastic ring was blocking it.
      08-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #7
squidlyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

ha.. that makes at least 3 of us. i think they need to re-do their video to make it more obvious. if you blink, you'll miss it, and end up wasting an extra hour wondering whats up.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 10:47 PM   #8
anleizhang
Rep

Quote:
Same thing, was wondering why the centre speaker was not dropping in for over 45 mins till we realised the plastic ring was blocking it.
I also think they really should mention that doors can be done without making any wire disconnection. just simply 2 screws out and then take the panel apart.
save a lot of hassles.

It is also good if someone could give you a hand to hold the door so to make sure no wire broken because of stretching. I did all by myself and i do not think they are easy to be broken anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 01:09 AM   #9
anleizhang
Rep

Quote:

so do you also leave the rubber rings on the door speakers?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
Fronzdan
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport 6MT

Only the rear door window switches are easy to pop out. The fronts are a bitch, especially driver side. You can pull out the wiring to the light pipe, but leave the window switch connected. Get a small footstool that's roughly the height of the door sill. Sit on it and prop the door panel on your lap. You can do all the work that way without fully removing the panel. Indeed, you can mess up the vinyl around the switches trying to pry them out.

Leave the rubber things on the door speakers just cuz they look beefier, lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
anleizhang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Only the rear door window switches are easy to pop out. The fronts are a bitch, especially driver side. You can pull out the wiring to the light pipe, but leave the window switch connected. Get a small footstool that's roughly the height of the door sill. Sit on it and prop the door panel on your lap. You can do all the work that way without fully removing the panel. Indeed, you can mess up the vinyl around the switches trying to pry them out.

Leave the rubber things on the door speakers just cuz they look beefier, lol.
Hi I did not disconnect any wire just take the door panel apart after removing the two screws. Yes, I have confirmed with Jason from bsw that the rubber ring will not affect the sound quality. Ok to leave on.
Appreciate 0