F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Screen - no signal message
ARMA SPEED

11-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #67
ErastFandorin
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury Imperial Blue

I to have been having this issue. I also notice that it seems to happen on shorter journeys. ie if I pop down to the shops and I have only been away from the car for 5-10 minutes I'll see the NO SCREEN message when I return to the car.
But I rarely see it when I've been away from the car for longer.

Its been happening since I bought the car but I still haven't had time to take it back to the dealer to be investigated.
I'm in the UK and have a 328i luxury F30 but this problem seems to be across the whole range of F30's.

Anyone from the UK had this problem and got a fix by a UK dealer? I'll be taking my car back to the dealer as soon as I can, so I'll report back with the outcome.
      11-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #68
ingleberg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErastFandorin View Post
I to have been having this issue. I also notice that it seems to happen on shorter journeys. ie if I pop down to the shops and I have only been away from the car for 5-10 minutes I'll see the NO SCREEN message when I return to the car.
But I rarely see it when I've been away from the car for longer.
My experience is exactly the same. I have the base (no line) model.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #69
_Si_
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 2.0d

I'm getting the same issues. It seems to be more regular when the phone is connecting via bluetooth and syncing contacts.
It's only happened to me since applying the latest BMW bluetooth update.
Going to get it looked at so I will update here if I get a resolution
      12-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #70
speedf
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingleberg View Post
Have you had this problem again since getting your car back?

My 2012 F30, leased in July, has been having this problem sporadically. The NO SIGNAL message often goes away after a few minutes, after which iDrive works normally. But today the message appeared after I cut the ignition, and stayed on after I closed and locked the doors.

Anyone else have updates on this issue? I'd sure like to get the right parts replaced the first time.

Thanks
Yup. Got the car back today (dealer has had it for over two months). On the very first journey I got the "No Signal" problem. I'm livid. Obviously they don't have a fix for this particular problem. Back to the dealer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #71
ingleberg
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedf View Post
Yup. Got the car back today (dealer has had it for over two months). On the very first journey I got the "No Signal" problem. I'm livid. Obviously they don't have a fix for this particular problem. Back to the dealer tomorrow.
Two MONTHS??? Well, you've convinced me to just live with it... at least for now. Today I was messing with my bluetooth settings while driving, and iDrive blacked out and totally rebooted.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #72
speedf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingleberg View Post
Two MONTHS??? Well, you've convinced me to just live with it... at least for now. Today I was messing with my bluetooth settings while driving, and iDrive blacked out and totally rebooted.
To be fair to BMW the car wasn't with them for two months due to this issue. I've had a long running problem with my DAB radio which took them two months to come to any conclusion about.

I'm aiming to take the car back to the dealer today, so will report back.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #73
Christian H
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i F30 Alpine White

I have the car in the shop for this very issue, bought it 2 days ago. Hopefully I have some leverage in getting it fixed within a day or two because there's a potential deal in place for a 2nd purchase after this is fixed. The common denominator seems to be a faulty CIC head unit. I didn't see any of the affected owners' issue come back after replacement. I will post back when out of the shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #74
speedf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian H View Post
I have the car in the shop for this very issue, bought it 2 days ago. Hopefully I have some leverage in getting it fixed within a day or two because there's a potential deal in place for a 2nd purchase after this is fixed. The common denominator seems to be a faulty CIC head unit. I didn't see any of the affected owners' issue come back after replacement. I will post back when out of the shop.
So, any news on your car? Mine is due out of the dealership tomorrow. I'm told that they've performed a "software update" which they believe has resolved the problem - I'm sceptical to say the least, but I'll wait and see (and report back).
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #75
speedf
Rep

Quote:
So, any news on your car? Mine is due out of the dealership tomorrow. I'm told that they've performed a "software update" which they believe has resolved the problem - I'm sceptical to say the least, but I'll wait and see (and report back).
So, for those still interested and perhaps experiencing the problem themselves, my car came back from dealership today. Second drive of the car, "No Signal" appeared. Not impressed, took the car straight back to the dealership. Obviously BMW have no clue about this particular problem. I'm interested if anyone has any further advice on what recourse I might now have - neither BMW local Dealership (Barons of Hindhead) or BMW UK seem to be able to sort this.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #76
Christian H
Rep

speedf,

Okay, so I just picked up the car last night after BMW directed the dealer to do another "reset/reboot" which is BS because they've already done that. I knew when I picked it up I'd be back soon and sure enough, it came back as soon as I stopped at am/pm for a monster and got back in (which is the normal sequence of events if want to reproduce the error). I took it right back to service so my advisor could run a scan on it while the screen was no signal. This time they were able to produce the fault code that called out a faulty CIC control unit, and a second page said something about the head unit but not sure if it was to replace or reprogram after CIC replacement. No call today from service so I'm sure they had to order the part. I'm pretty sure the replacement of this and/or the CIC head unit is the correct fix. I will post back hopefully in a couple of days. The key is to drive it right to the dealer so they can pull the codes while the no signal is displayed.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #77
ErastFandorin
Rep

Quote:
I had my car in to get the no screen message fixed.
I too was told a software fix would 'probably' fix it. I got the car back two days ago but I've been pretty ill with flu and not been out in it much yet.

I'll report back if with an update once I've been out and about with the car over the next few days.
      01-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #78
speedf
Rep

Quote:
speedf,

Okay, so I just picked up the car last night after BMW directed the dealer to do another "reset/reboot" which is BS because they've already done that. I knew when I picked it up I'd be back soon and sure enough, it came back as soon as I stopped at am/pm for a monster and got back in (which is the normal sequence of events if want to reproduce the error). I took it right back to service so my advisor could run a scan on it while the screen was no signal. This time they were able to produce the fault code that called out a faulty CIC control unit, and a second page said something about the head unit but not sure if it was to replace or reprogram after CIC replacement. No call today from service so I'm sure they had to order the part. I'm pretty sure the replacement of this and/or the CIC head unit is the correct fix. I will post back hopefully in a couple of days. The key is to drive it right to the dealer so they can pull the codes while the no signal is displayed.
Well, I've had the CIC replaced - didn't make any difference. BMW Tech support told me that the SW reprogramme fixes this issue in "99%" of cases (which is interesting considering I've been told in the past that they haven't seen this problem before - which in itself seems to fly in the face of reports on the internet).

So, current plan is to change the HU, which is on order from Germany. Last few times the problem has occurred, I've taken it straight to the dealer so they can see/diagnose the problem themselves (it didn't help).

Hoping to get the car back in a couple of weeks, so will keep all updated on here.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #79
Christian H
Rep

Quote:
Well, I've had the CIC replaced - didn't make any difference. BMW Tech support told me that the SW reprogramme fixes this issue in "99%" of cases (which is interesting considering I've been told in the past that they haven't seen this problem before - which in itself seems to fly in the face of reports on the internet).

So, current plan is to change the HU, which is on order from Germany. Last few times the problem has occurred, I've taken it straight to the dealer so they can see/diagnose the problem themselves (it didn't help).

Hoping to get the car back in a couple of weeks, so will keep all updated on here.

A couple weeks? Wow that is not good news. What state are you in? In California we have pretty strict rules regarding Lemon Laws and how long a car is in the shop for the same issue. I guess they're letting drive around a loaner this whole time. We bought this car 3 weeks ago and driven it for 3 days.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #80
ingleberg
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A couple weeks? Wow that is not good news. What state are you in? In California we have pretty strict rules regarding Lemon Laws and how long a car is in the shop for the same issue. I guess they're letting drive around a loaner this whole time. We bought this car 3 weeks ago and driven it for 3 days.
Sounds like BMW has no idea what is causing this... so I'm not even going to bother taking mine in.

Am I the only one who has the NO SIGNAL message remaining on the screen even after turning the car off and locking the doors?

I had a GPS issue with a Nissan Pathfinder a few years ago. After 3 failed attempts to get it fixed, I went through an arbitration process managed by the BBB. The arbitrator declared that Nissan had 1 final shot at fixing the problem -- and if the problem remained, they had to replace the vehicle with a brand new one. Nissan flew in a high-level engineer, who found the problem.

Might be a process that some of you will want to pursue. Without the BBB's AutoLine program, I would've been stuck with a completely non-functional GPS. Here's a link to the program details:

http://www.bbb.org/us/auto-line/us-process/
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #81
speedf
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm in the UK. I've driven more miles in loaners than my actual car!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #82
Christian H
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm in the UK. I've driven more miles in loaners than my actual car!
I just got notified by my service advisor that a "BMW factory technical representative" is coming in tomorrow to work on the car over the weekend. I am assured now that the problem will be solved
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #83
sgbk
Rep
Drives: F30

I have new screen 10" upgrade, when i install it, the display still " no signal" . So i think it must be upgrade CIC also. Anybody can fix it without upgrade CIC ? thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #84
BMWBully
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: F31 - 2013 - EBII - LOADED!!!

Just got my car few days ago and this has happened to me 2 times already - googled it, and I see from this post that I´m not the only one..

Bummer!!

Will check with my dealer in Norway tomorrow..

Both times I´ve been listening to music from the harddrive, downloaded by me from regular audio files off a cd..

My last BMW (an E92) had to replace the head unit after only a few months because of a similar problem so this starts off great....... Grrr.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #85
Christian H
Rep

Quote:
I just got notified by my service advisor that a "BMW factory technical representative" is coming in tomorrow to work on the car over the weekend. I am assured now that the problem will be solved
Absolute fail by BMW!! They sent their rep out who installed what seems to be a batch file that reboots the iDrive everytime the car produces the error. You can still see it come up "no signal", but now it goes black shortly after and goes through a reboot to clear the error and probably any code with it. I just asked for a new car let's see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #86
Christian H
Rep

Quote:
Absolute fail by BMW!! They sent their rep out who installed what seems to be a batch file that reboots the iDrive everytime the car produces the error. You can still see it come up "no signal", but now it goes black shortly after and goes through a reboot to clear the error and probably any code with it. I just asked for a new car let's see what happens.
Requested a BMW repurchase through corporate and got an authorization the next day. Back to square one but picked up a new one last night. There is still no fix outside of replacing the hardware, which I wasn't willing to wait for.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #87
ErastFandorin
Rep

UPDATE!

So I had the car in for a software update to fix the no signal issue.

Been using the car for a couple weeks now. So far so good... I havent seen the no signal appear since the software update!
Fingers crossed it stays like that. I used to see it appear fairly often but it now seems to be resolved!
      03-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #88
ErastFandorin
Rep

Nightmare. After having a software update that would apparently fix this problem it is now happening again. didnt see it happen for almost 3 months but got the dreaded 'no signal' yesterday.