F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > F30 Screeching/weird sound from exhaust, dealership claims it's normal on 328is?
Vorsteiner

04-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

F30 Screeching/weird sound from exhaust, dealership claims it's normal on 328is?

Hey guys,

So I noticed in the last few months that while starting up my F30 328i, or while driving slowly and then stepping on and releasing the gas, there's an out of place noise coming from the back of my car that sounds like some kind of mechanical screech. It's pretty consistent, and I have been able to replicated it several times, and have posted a dropbox link video below of the noise. It's very apparent at the 7 second and 12 second mark (no dropbox account needed to view).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qq4j0svnay...Noise.mp4?dl=0

I took it in to my local dealership (BMW Manhattan) before I took that video, and the first time they said it was the flap in the exhaust opening and closing, and I left it there for "repairs". I get it back in 2 days, and the service notes said the tech lubricated the flap/valve. Welp, two weeks later, the sound's back. I take it back in, and this time they say they went over the car with a fine comb, couldn't find anything wrong, and was unable to replicate the noise/wasn't sure what noise I was referring to. I went home, made that recording, went back in the following week, and now they say the noise is normal, is caused by the exhaust, and that every F30 328i has it to some degree, and that honestly nothing can be done to fix it.

Others who drive 328is, have you had that noise before? Should I be looking to contact another dealership? (The car is under warranty still). Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #2
lokito
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ///M Sport

I had the same problem... well, still have. The noise is not from the flap that is inside the exhaust pipe, but from the actuator that is mounted on the exhaust. Last time I took car to the dealer, they said the same thing, "it is normal". I still had them try to fix it though. They replaced some screw that is inside the actuator. Two days later, the noise came back. I tried to fix it on my own by removing the connecting clip, but once I did, the flap turned smoothly. I secured the flap open with a wire, and drove the car around. I turned it off, the noise was still there once I turned it back on. It is anoying... I have heard it on some other F30s that I have been close to as they drive by...